"We expect perfect behavior 100% of the time"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Aug 2 - 9PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

"We expect perfect behavior 100% of the time"

That's what my father said a couple of years ago. Sometimes I feel like I CAN'T tell my parents about mistakes I've made. It's been a decade, and I still haven't told them what I've been telling my fellow forum participants here (thank you for your support, especially you Lisa and Betty!)

My parents got upset because I burnt my hand at work several months ago... and I didn't tell them. I had taken care of it, I was able to work. I've had some minor financial issues, and I didn't tell them for fear of being chewed out. For example, I'll tell them that I interviewed someone for an article, and they'll say "you remembered to thank them, didn't you?" When my parents visited recently, some kids ran into the street, I noted that it was a terrible street with speeders.. and my father said,"You didn't run into those kids, did you?" Putting me on the defensive.

When I first told my parents about my growing feelings for my ex-P, there was the added problem that my mother was raised by Narc parents, so it was very triggering for her. I hadn't intended it. I was in love, I was in denial... and my mother was yelling that I was a psychopath as she ran upstairs. Since it was triggering, I vowed silence on the subject. I told my friends about it instead--and they were the ones who saved my life. After the D&D, the 2 years I spent at home were miserable. My mother and I would be constantly bickering, and my sister would say I was antisocial as if I weren't there.

I feel like my parents don't trust me. I'm afraid that if I tell them about ANY mistakes I've made, I'll be chewed out. It's the catch-22. If I told them about that 4 year Hell, I'm afraid I'll be told it was my fault, how dare I make the mistake of being smitten with a professor. A friend of mine said that I probably put up with my ex-P's verbal abuse because of the way my parents handled my minor mistakes. The constant criticism, the defensiveness. No wonder I was vulnerable...

Anyone here experience the same?

Aug 3 - 11AM
Qing Yuan
Qing Yuan's picture

My mother and father had a

My mother and father had a tumultuous relationship. It was never easy living in a home in which shouting for what you wanted was normal. There was always fighting, even playful between us kids, but it was certainly the norm. My father drank a lot and went to the pub as often as he could. I was ‘slow’ as a child and I didn’t engage in ‘real life’ to well. (I later found out I had dyspraxia and dyslexia) I was held back a lot and my mother doubted my ability to handle myself on my own and never allowed me to venture far in the world. I was inhibited by insecurities and the shouting and disagreement continued until I left home. I did become quite selfish in my teenage years towards them because they were too controlling and I was to out of control… And at one point, I vowed to get even with my childhood bullies by becoming someone popular and malleable. I would do what ever I had to do to fit in and not be such a laughing stock. As a toddler/pre-school child I was ugly, awkward and not that smart. I felt always on the outside of life. My father died because he smoked and drank himself to that ugly long painful death. I am very much like he was I think… My mother is driven by money and likes the better things in life. She is also kind and generous but that has always been sticking point. She will always help me no matter what but I would do better in her eyes to stand on my own two feet a little better. She worries about me but doesn’t understand me. We have never seen eye to eye really but underneath she is deeply empathic and caring if a little tough on the surface. Having said this, she is tough and I always felt that she did not properly understand my emotions and found my emotional behaviours to be confusing. I used to rock and rock, back and fourth, as a young child. Well I did well into my adult years. My father and mother loved me but they drank to much, smoke, ‘lived’ in and owned a pub when I was a entering adult/teen years and they did not plan for me. I felt I was undervalued because I was slow to learn and was given few tools to develop my skills. AND my father spent most of all of our (my brother and sister too) child hoods calling us ‘thick, stupid, not very bright’ etc. he used to say ‘Vix’ you are thick as too short planks’… His dad said it to him and he said it to me.. And I was by in large crippled by the words he used to describe my struggles to learn. SO I was defo inhibited and defo damaged and open to the kind of abuse I invited into my life after that. I thought I was having fun, having sex with guys too young, getting into relationships with some guys who perhaps who did not respect me and that supported my erroneous understanding of what you had to do please men!? Watching my dad verbally abuse my mother for years taught me that it was OK to allow someone to crush someone else at will. She cooked him meals, he would pick at them with his fork and pick at it and then hurl abuse at her about the food and about how he couldn’t eat. It was always very nourishing hot meal. My mother was always a fine cook. SO yes, if your asking does this stuff predisposes us to abuse well yes I think it does and that is why we have to break the cycle to get a healthy healing relationship’. It cannot come until we have really taken charge of our own lives. We need to have the love in ourselves that we sought from disapproving parents, from stupid narc men, from anyone at all. Yea you definitely would have put up with the abuse if you have at some point ‘learnt’ that vile words or damaging bullying behaviour are okay. If the ‘programme’ in your mind is not ‘re-loaded’ with better more healthy images and messages then you will find it hard to break the pattern you are being taught to continue. After all my narc husbands father was/is a vile man. He treated his mother so badly and was also an alcoholic like my father. Its quite normal to find this dynamic in relationships. When both people have had an abusive father and a subjugated mother; Without intervention, the male continues to seek to control over woman and the female forges a relationship with men in life in general that allows this to happen. But yea, my father and mother too, still criticises me and my choices in life. She thinks its personal against her. She asked me to cut of my dreads for her wedding, She thought I was being utterly selfish not cutting my dreads off just her wedding day.. I wore a scarf to compromise in the end… Its not easy! Yes its really no wonder you were vulnerable. Most families with any dysfunction will continue to promote this dysfunction if the cycle is not broken by change, mental and emotional development. I just hope I can do that for my son… I only lived with my narc husband for a few years before I asked him to leave. Living with that abuse, the walking on eggshells, the fear… I couldn’t not have lived with that for long. Especially given that I vowed never to let my own children endure that kind of childhood I had. I understand Susan. I totally do!!!
Aug 3 - 11AM (Reply to #4)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

My parents

My parents were quite the opposite. Hardly any fighting... and if they argued, it was in an ADULT way, not an abusive way. That's why my ex-P shocked me. My parents were able to argue without tearing each other down;he couldn't argue without tearing me down. My father always praises my mother's cooking, he's always grateful to her. Genuine affection. Sometimes I wonder if they've dumped on me due to the stresses lately. Work has been difficult for my father;he's had to deal with financial losses of his own. They're both trying to care for my Narc grandmother who also suffers from Alzheimer's (strangely, dementia and NPD do resemble each other neurologically) I think my parents genuinely care... they do want me to succeed and be happy. It's just the manner in which it's done. They suspected that my job of 5 years with the Narc boss was a toxic, abusive atmosphere, that I suffered but had a hard time discussing it. I'm in a better workplace now. My coworkers and I laugh and joke around, the supervisor isn't verbally abusive. Nobody feels threatened (my Narc boss loved, LOVED threatening people with firing) My parents were genuinely worried when it came to my ex-P. I think my mother was afraid that I'd end up physically abused... or dead. So, thank God he's not their son in-law, and definitely NOT my husband! They still encourage and support me... something my ex-P NEVER did.
Aug 2 - 9PM
Steph
Steph's picture

""We expect perfect behavior

""We expect perfect behavior 100% of the time"" That's like epecting to take a shit, and not noticing a smell. Sorry. But that is an impossible request. Life doesn't work like that and anyone that expects it should needs to take a real close look at themselves. You will never be perfect and there is no shame in that. Mistakes will always be made, what makes you human is the ability to recognize and learn from your mistakes.....something N's and P's aren't capable of. Although I do believe these guys can dupe people that come from "normal" childhoods, I also believe that if your childhood was filled with critisism and self doubt, it for sure has to impact what you are willing to put up with from others. That's something I am just learning about myself, too....with the previous threads on this subject. So much to learn about ourselves, hey? Thankfully we all have eachother to help us through! xoxo
Aug 2 - 10PM (Reply to #2)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

The old push-pull

My mother wanted me out of the house after 2 years (and here I was, recovering from the D&D)... and when I moved to where I am now... guess what? She wanted me to move back. I even told her,"You wanted me to move;I moved." I remember telling my father "I'm human, I make mistakes" and his response was that it was a poor excuse. I've told my parents I'm not a saint. It's no wonder I saw my love for my ex-P as the ultimate act of defiance. My ex-P was telling me my motives--but so were my parents. As I told one of my friends, "My ex-P told me he was embarrassed, disappointed and offended when I declared my love-why would I tell my parents when I'd hear the same thing?" Distance has helped with my parents. I try to tune out those things like "You didn't ---?" As my paternal grandmother put it "You don't REALLY want to move back there, do you?"