Michele115/ from Mell

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 9 - 10PM
Mell
Mell's picture

Michele115/ from Mell

I am still at a spot of ups and downs and disbelief, but I know me and I WILL NOT contact him. Lying and cheating and all of these antics are deal-breakers for me. I just need to get to the spot of indifference and I am going through a ton of different emotions to get there.

I guess the second-guessing I am doing is from the guilt that I feel for not trying harder and from being so stubborn. I am trying not to "What if" it, but that part is hard because he did put in more effort than I have. However, since we have been separated, he told people that this was my "test" to see if I loved him enough to put out the effort and since I didn't chase after him, he found someone else.

Apr 9 - 11PM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

aah Mel

Glad you came back a few steps...doesn't matter that you're nc that doesn't mean you're really at "step three" just means you are at NC...makes sense? Until you own all of this and are really clear on this you won't be indifferent...see the meat of this what will determine your ability to STAY NC is how much you really own and understand it..the bulk of the work is in getting it out and really processing it. GOOOD I feel good at least that we've established where you are...I'm sorry you are where you are but for where you are you're still in a good place. Let's dissect a little: You said: I guess the second-guessing I am doing is from the guilt that I feel for not trying harder and from being so stubborn. You don't feel you tried hard enough? What else do you think you could have done differently? could you share some examples...? Why do you feel you were stubborn? Can you give some examples here? I am trying not to "What if" it, but that part is hard because he did put in more effort than I have. How? However, since we have been separated, he told people that this was my "test" to see if I loved him enough to put out the effort and since I didn't chase after him, he found someone else. Does this make sense to you? From what you understand about NPD and/or personality disorders, can you justify your thoughts? AND there is no right or wrong answer, I'm just trying to get a better understanding as i don't know all the facts, only you do but maybe together we can weed through it and get to a place of understanding that is the "truth" for you...its all about processing the thoughts and sometimes we need someone objective to point things out we cant see clearly because our mind is clouded....
Apr 9 - 11PM (Reply to #2)
Mell
Mell's picture

Yes, I understand that just

Yes, I understand that just because I am NC, does not mean that I am at Step 3. What exactaly do you mean by "owning it?" No, honestly, I don't think I tried much. We seemed to be in a standoff and a power struggle. He was waiting on me and I was waiting on him (to do more, affection, etc.) but he seemed to not be able to hold out as long as I could (stubborn, I was) and he would start being nicer before I would. He seemed to be so much better at not being angry and better at being "loving" than I was and he would beg me to "show" him more. I do understand about the "test" and how I "failed" in his mind because now that I have read about NPD, that part makes perfect sense, but my guilt lies in the fact that I did not put forth the effort before we separated.
Apr 9 - 11PM (Reply to #3)
Anonymous's picture

Mell

What exactaly do you mean by "owning it?" -It is one thing to know the disorder, it is another thing to own it. We know that 2 plus 2 equals 4. AND we own that, we don't question it. BUT, let's say that for some reason it was scientifically proven tomorrow that 2 plus 2 now equals 5 - you would be aware of the information, but there would be a time where you'd still doubt or question it - doesn't matter that all the mathematicians got together and explained how their thoughts all these thousands of years were wrong you would still because it's all you've known question and doubt the 2 plus 2 equaling 5 until you could process the logic of their NEW explanation. It's the same thing with personality disorders. They've been around, but we are not that skilled with them. We read about them, we understand the words but we don't own it. We don't fully accept it until we really absorb what it really means. That essentially, despite ALL the words and actions, this person essentially faked an entire realationship. All the intimiacy we thought we shared, all the I love you's all the gestures..they were feigned. AND they were feigned because this disordered person cannot attach. This person does not have an identity of their own, they operate on the false self. We have to really own that and believe that until we can move on and we will continue to question things and second guess until we accept that A. They show all the signs and B. that they have the disorder....and we have to do this in most cases absent an official diagnosis of them simply because A. we might not be with them anymore because of the damage they did but B. even if we were with them, because of the disorder, many refuse treatment because they see nothing wrong with what they do and instead, they blame and project thier defects onto you either in a blatant manner or covertly...leaving you to think YOU are the problem or source of all the difficulty...which is how we end up taking the blame and second guessing because they overtly or covertly brainwash us without us noticing...gaslighting and projecting, double speaking...all of that... No, honestly, I don't think I tried much. And for the above reasons, you might be thinking you didn't try much when in fact, you were perfectly fine and reasonable under the circumstances...this is what you have to weed through. We seemed to be in a standoff and a power struggle. He was waiting on me and I was waiting on him (to do more, affection, etc. This standoff could be real or perceived...you might have been "convinced" of this, but it might not be the reality...he may have been good at getting you to believe this...not sure, you'd have to think about this some... but he seemed to not be able to hold out as long as I could (stubborn, I was) and he would start being nicer before I would. Yes, it sounds like a power struggle but remember, Narcs are about control, so lets say you didn't hold your ground, he would have slammed you sooner - for him it was all about getting you to a place of surrender so he could pummel you - intermittent reinforcement...hot and cold... He seemed to be so much better at not being angry and better at being "loving" than I was and he would beg me to "show" him more. Beg you to "show him more"...as in "attention" as in he needed to see you "surrender" so he could have total control. Sounds to me like you were "too hard to handle" you were "high maintenance"...for a narc that just means you weren't a good enough doormat. I am pretty certain as you go through this more and more you will see that you were not unreasonable, rather your instincts were kicking in and your being stubborn and all of that was actually a SELF PROTECTION mode, that kicked in instinctively. I do understand about the "test" and how I "failed" in his mind because now that I have read about NPD, that part makes perfect sense, but my guilt lies in the fact that I did not put forth the effort before we separated. TEST...what test...this isn't grammar school, this is a relationship, we don't have tests in grown up relationships...this is his disordered thinking...TEST...humph! Are you seeing any of this clearer? It is a part of the abuse to come out of this feeling we have some part to play, we are to blame. Granted we are not perfect, but some of this crap, drives you to the brink...they mess with your head and get you to second guess and take blame...any indication of him feeling ANY responsibility? Has he shown any empathy? Accountability for his part? AND is it genuine or does it all follow a "but" at the end? My personal experience has been that ANYTHING that follows the word "but" is B.S.
Apr 10 - 2PM (Reply to #5)
Mell
Mell's picture

Michele115/from Mell

Oh my gosh, Michele-"Sounds to me like you were "too hard to handle" you were "high maintenance"..." That is almost exactly what he would say and that he never met a woman that was so "hard-headed" and that he has "had to work" 20 times harder with me than all of the other woman put together. I think you are right-I think I was in self-protection mode and I just need to work on accepting thar and work on "owning" it. Yes, anything followed with a "but" is complete B.S.! Thank you so much!! This post really has helped me a great deal.
Apr 10 - 3PM (Reply to #6)
Anonymous's picture

Mell

Glad I could help...it put a smile on my face! Hugs!
Apr 10 - 3PM (Reply to #7)
Mell
Mell's picture

: ) What is your best advice

: ) What is your best advice about not obsessing over the OW? That seems to be my biggest hangup. He did a lot of great things for me and I keep obsessing over the great things I am sure he will do for her too. I need to let it go, but am finding that part difficult...
Apr 10 - 4PM (Reply to #8)
Anonymous's picture

It takes time

For me, once I was able to "own" the disorder, and see the patterns not only with me but his past, how he related to family, children, friends...I saw the FRAUD that he was, I was able to see that she is not special, and he will do the same thing to her and that he is not capable of ever changing. That is the fact with these guys...they don't change, they're incapable...they cannot attach, they feign love and relationships so whomever he's with it doesn't really matter...people are objects to them. While it hurts to know I wasn't special...the FACT is NO one is special...and I was/am powerless over that... BUT I did have the power over my recovery, I had power over understanding, and I had the power to heal so that once I got my "gook" together at some point when I am ready I could have the authentic life that I wanted with someone capable of real love and who can reciprocate. Short term pain for long term gain...so you bite the bullet and go through what you have to go through, but in five years, ten years, six months, you will have soared, he'll still be in the same place...maybe even with a different player and yet another victim would have bitten the dust.
Apr 10 - 4PM (Reply to #9)
Mell
Mell's picture

Michele115/from Mell

Thank you--I guess I will get to the part of "knowing" that he cannot change and it doesn't matter who he is with-I look forward to getting there and accepting that...
Apr 10 - 2PM (Reply to #4)
Anonymous's picture

Mell

Your response moved to page 2...bumping it up....