Is he another narcissist or just confused??

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 4 - 4PM
neet87
neet87's picture

Is he another narcissist or just confused??

Hi all,
I first came to the forum nearly 2 years ago when I was struggling to leave my ex N. We were on and off for 18 months and in that time I completely lost myself and became very ill. I managed to eventually go no contact for good about 10 months ago and haven't looked back since. I've ignored a few hoovers and last heard from him at Christmas (how predictable!)

I managed to slowly pick myself up and rebuild my life. I thought I was completely healed and felt like the old me again.

Then...on valentines day this year, I met my boyfriend. I was sitting at the gym after my workout when we got chatting. I'd seen him in there a few times before and we had made eye contact but that was the first time we'd spoken.

He mentioned he had a girlfriend but wasn't happy. They'd been on and off for 5 years, have a daughter together but had been leading separate lives. He claimed he was only there for his daughter. I didn't think much of it at the time, sort of dismissed him in my head really.

After that, he kept turning up at the same time and he continued to chat. He said he was planning to leave his girlfriend but was finding the best way to tell her. He asked for my number and suggested we hang out as friends. I said no and that I wouldn't get involved whilst he was still with her.

The next time I saw him he told me he had finished with her and was moving out. He begged for my number again and I caved in. We started texting and it went from there. He assured me it was completely over and all feelings were gone. I feel like an idiot now but I fell for it. Things got serious quickly, he wanted to see me all the time, speak to me all the time and plan dates. We became official on April 1st. He hadn't told his ex about me at the time. She also goes to the same gym and we didn't want to rub anything in her face. He told me that the times they had broken up in the past, no one else had been involved and even then she's been a nightmare. Messing him around with seeing his daughter until he'd caved and gone back.

They were arguing a lot but he was still getting access to see his daughter. He decided to tell her about me and at first she hit the roof but she calmed down quickly and we thought we had got off lightly. Things since have been perfect between us. He told me he loved me and we started to talk about the future.

Then she started to cause problems. Told him she'd started seeing someone, said she was rehoming his dog, kept asking for more and more money and started messing around with days and times for him to see his daughter. At that point he seemed to start withdrawing from me. He said he was stressed but everything between us was fine.
It didn't feel like it though. He was becoming snappy, stopped wanting to see each other as much and wouldn't commit to any plans. It was making me feel insecure so I kept asking what was going on which seemed to annoy him even more.

Last week she told him she wanted money for their daughters birthday party but he wasn't allowed to go. It really hit him hard. He was acting really strange and distant again. On Friday I asked if he wanted to come over and he was flaky about it but came over and things seemed ok. He was annoyed that I'd been left some chocolates from a plumber but he apart from that fine. He apologised for the way he's been lately and we had a good evening. The next morning we got up and he was going to see his daughter. He asked what my plans were for the day (at that point I realised that I wasn't invited) I said I wasn't sure yet and asked if he was coming back later that night. He got really funny and said he didn't know yet. Made comments about me being too regimental even though at the beginning of our relationship he'd told me to assume we'd be spending weekends together. It felt like he was picking a fight. I got my back up a bit and put me in a bad mood.

After I dropped him off, I text to say sorry and maybe I should chill out a bit. He text back hours later to say "listen neet...don't need the stress right now, you're being really off with me". He wouldn't answer the phone after that until later that evening. He was clearly not up for taking to me. I asked him about his text and he said it was the way I had been with him before I dropped him off. He said he had loads on his mind and needed some space to get through his daughters bday. I asked him if he didn't want to be with me just because of something so stupid and he said "no but the way u were is playing on my mind" I said ok and I would speak to him soon. That was Saturday and I've heard nothing since. It's his daughters birthday today and I text to wish her happy birthday and I haven't had a reply.

I don't understand what's going on. Is he just another narcissist or is he just confused about his feelings? Everything was so great, what could have changed so quickly. Maybe I put too much pressure on him or got too insecure about his ex.
He hasn't even told me it's over, just started ignoring me.
I don't know what to do.

Sorry for the rant, can't believe I'm back again and just as confused as I was 2 years ago!

Jun 18 - 8PM
Journey
Journey's picture

Hey neet87! It's been

Journey on...

Jun 16 - 11AM
liv2lern2luv
liv2lern2luv's picture

On again, off again

Jun 8 - 2PM
Journey
Journey's picture