Why were we able to deny reality for so long

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 27 - 10PM
Victim-no-more
Victim-no-more's picture

Why were we able to deny reality for so long

I just wanted to share something,it would almost be comical if it werent so pathetic. I saw/dated the N on a regular basis for two years. Do you know that at a year and a half into it.....he did not even know my last name? I finally brought it up, I said "you dont even know what my last name is." You could see him kind of tryingto come up with an answer.....he was like uh uh uh.......but he absolutely couldnt deny it because he didnt know, didnt care, never asked.......he never asked ANYTHING about me........is this pathetic????? To this day he doesnt know my birthday or where I grew up, went to school, if I have brothers or sisters.........all he would ask is how was my day going, how am I, you know, the stuff he thought made him seem normal when in reality he didn't care how I was doing......but I knew all of the details of his life.....complete with birthday gifts for him...i was so caring, attentive, and genuinely interested. I instinctively have always known he did not care about me and I knew what he was. I just didnt know it had a name.....can any of your ex N's top this degree of self centeredness? I am embarrassed. I cannot believe this was something I was willing to settle for. I just lied to myself and told myself of course he cares about me.......even with the truth staring me in my face.

Oct 28 - 1PM
gratefuljen
gratefuljen's picture

Hit a nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the first couple of months, we were going through pictures, we spent hours going through his, my turn, totally uninterested. Red flag number one. There were lots!!! Maybe two years in, he would call me Ginny, I said, Ron It's Jenny. Wow,,,,,,,,,,as long as your warm and have a vagina. But no that's not true, either, they pick women, at least to get married to, that have every thing they don't, morals, internal strength, a conscience, a good work history, house, a job, happy, the list could go on and on. Fuck them and the horse he rode up on. Live and learn, and let go. Jen
Oct 28 - 12PM
b3base
b3base's picture

He never really knew who I was

After 6 years, my stbxNH has no idea what I do for a living. I don't even want to know how many hours upon hours he talked about his work. Never about mine. He doesn't know anything about my work and really nothing about me. I also showed him pictures from my past and he would have to be doing something else as I tried to show him. He had no interest at all. None. If I talked about me at all he would never look at me and again had to be doing something else while I talked about anything. I cannot imagine being so PD and not have any connection to anything.
Oct 28 - 4AM
Gaia
Gaia's picture

at the end

right before he did his last D&D, he actually screwed up and was trying to yell at me and blame me for something, as usual..and he forgot my age! He literally said he didnt remember my age, and we were together 8 years. Monsters I tell you!
Oct 28 - 12AM
ValiditySeeker
ValiditySeeker's picture

Once

I brought Short Dick Man home to my parents' house. I showed him the house and my old room and then I saw an photo album that I thought he might want to see. Since we'd only been dating a few months, I thought he might be interested in knowing more about me or what sort if life I had. I showed him the first page and then started to turn the page when he quickly snatched the album closed and practically shoved it off his lap and back into my hands. I really am unable to describe the expression on his face; it left me completely off balance. It was a combination of offense, anger and sarcasm maybe. And condescension. It was like he absolutely could not imagine for all the money in the world why I might show him a few old pictures of me. There was of course that plastic-y smile on his face all the while. Always passive-aggressive. He was angry that I might make five minutes of our relationship about me, I think. Nothing in it fir him, so why waste time? And how dare I forget that it's all about him! All I can say is that in one shove and a facial expression, I felt cut down two inches tall. This was in the beginning and I didn't know what to make of it. Now I think if I was dating and a guy did anything to leave me scratching my head trying to figure it out, then that alone us reason to run! Normal people don't need deciphering.
Oct 28 - 6AM (Reply to #3)
into the light
into the light's picture

Photos

Yes, the same with me. I once showed him a whole box of loose photos of me, my friends, family, etc. Absolutely zero interest! He never asked much at all about me,my job, my past, how I spent time when not with him. I'm wishing I had proved to him his lack of knowledge about me, if only to satisfy my curiosity now as to what lame excuse he would have come up with. He forgot my birthday after I told him it was going to be in a week's time - too busy charming the pants off some waiter a minute after I told him though, so obviously he would forget!! Why didn't I understand what all of these signs were telling me? I'm nearly 3 months NC, and still feel his presence in the house, so I've bought some smudging sticks to cleanse and purify my home. Don't really believe in stuff like that, but my thoughts are that any ritual like this - and I've tried a few - can help with my pschological healing.
Oct 28 - 12AM
lillymarch
lillymarch's picture

I actually asked the same question today.

I stayed in denial for years! And it was obviously by choice because I knew something was wrong with him. He was mean to me. He was so selfish. His life was only about him and everyone in it was in reference to him. A friend called me today saying she mentioned to an old friend hat the divorce between me and the N had happened and she asked if it was because he was doing something illegal. The friend wouldnt go into detail about my whole relationship with this N, but he fact that this persons first thought was about an illegal situation tells me that other people could see him. It's the classic Avator line: I see you. Well, everyone else did. I denied it. But now I see! And it's not good. When you know better, you do better. Now we know.