Thinking About Your Feelings

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Nov 6 - 8AM
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

by Kathy Krajco

Several people have commented to the effect that they didn't really understand how they felt about a certain abuse -- for example the "being made to bend over for it" type. They didn't realize that this is what was being done to them.

No, they didn't consciously realize what was being done to them. But the subconscious knew what what going on. For, in the depths of their soul they realized the nature of what was being done to them and felt the moral impact deeply!

They just couldn't consciously put their finger on exactly why the way they were being treated outraged them so. They just couldn't put it into words.

Been there.

Remember that I am no authority, so I don't know if this is always good, but I feel that what enabled me to get through was the fact that I started sitting down and contemplating an act of abuse, asking myself just why this or that remark, this or that reaction, this or that treatment, by the narcissist hurt me so.

I would actually analyze it on a moral level. In other words, I'd get in touch with my feelings. I'd ask myself exactly how this or that made me feel. Then I'd ask why it made me feel that way.

What was going on at a moral (i.e., psychological/spiritual) level then always became crystal clear to me. Then I could see that the narcissist was, say, trying to "make me bend over for it" so to speak. When I thought of what that means, I understood why my instincts reacted with outrage. They were correct: that is an outrage.

Our instinct for self preservation triggers that outrage as an adaptation for survival, just like the sympathetic nervous system triggers the familiar "fight-or-flight" response to threat, danger, or injury.

The result always was that I was at peace with my feelings, knowing that they were simply the natural response to an assault on my human dignity. Unpleasant as they were, I knew they were no sin and felt no guilt or shame for them.

I always found that my deepest instincts, my gut reactions to things, were right on. That they were a sign. In other words, if you feel like you've just been put down, it's because you have been put down. If you feel like you've just been (morally) raped, that's because you have been morally raped.

It's unwise to disregard and bury those feelings.

Another byproduct of contemplating the abuse is that I saw how unnatural a narcissist's behavior is. How perverted. How against human nature. This and the abysmal nature of how they treat you brings you face-to-face with the sadism in their conduct. This makes you see what kind of being you're dealing with. Yes, that knowledge rattles your cage, but you need to know it.

Of course you can't let your emotions rule your conduct. But you can control you conduct with wisdom and a sense of measure without trying to eradicate your feelings. Besides, you can't eradicate your feelings. All you can do is delude yourself about them by repressing them. You must go through this kind of pain like you must go through physical pain. And like physical pain this emotional pain will pass.

http://narc-attack.blogspot.com

May 2 - 5PM
neveragain5
neveragain5's picture

I remember my N said to me

I remember my N said to me on several occasions, "I really set off your fight-or-flight response". Surely, he was very pleased with himself. This article says it all, it only took me a short time to break away from him. If I hadn't been listening to others about what a "nice guy" he was and how I should give him a chance, we probably would'nt have gone out at all. I know it sounds weird, but I am thankful for meeting him. Why? Because if I hadn't the pieces of the mystery puzzle would not have been put together in what I have been experiencing for years and years with different people. I now have a name for it and I am hoping to help educate people, especially younger ones, to recognize this. I feel in the future, they will need to know more than ever.
May 2 - 5PM (Reply to #4)
Healingnow
Healingnow's picture

Neveragain

Hi, I know what you mean when you say this, 'I know it sounds weird, but I am thankful for meeting him. Why? Because if I hadn't the pieces of the mystery puzzle would not have been put together in what I have been experiencing for years and years with different people. I now have a name for it and I am hoping to help educate people, especially younger ones, to recognize this. I feel in the future, they will need to know more than ever'. I think that for me there could have been no other way for me to face the harsh reality of where I came from. Pain is growth and I have had a great deal of pain. I have been grieving so much for months now. However, I have a daughter and I need to know this stuff. We are all pioneers. I do think that by learning about this we are leaping far past where the general member of society is at which is why it's so frustrating. I thought I had learned a lot a few years ago but now I realise that I knew very little. We have a lot of work to do in this world to make the difference needed for women. I won't be letting down all those pioneers before me. Sounds like you won't be either. See I am finding some hope in all of this however slight it might be. It's a start.
May 2 - 8PM (Reply to #5)
neveragain5
neveragain5's picture

I try to look at every

I try to look at every adversity as a learning experience, because there is no other explanation for why a kind, loving and caring person would go through some of this. We have to hold on to whatever positive we can so that we can go on with a healthy life. I am glad that you see things the same way and that you see the positives. Thank you for sharing what you are experiencing. This board and the people here have been of great support and laughter in just a few weeks. If many of us haven't stumbled upon it, I'm sure that the process of recognition and healing would have been longer and harder. My family would also have been at the end of their rope by now, listening to my diatribes! :)
May 2 - 4PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

READ TOP POST ~~~~~~~~~ Moving Forward: Coaching for Victims Pathologicals Feelings buried alive never die. - Alice Miller
Feb 3 - 7PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Thinking About YOUR Feelings

READ TOP POST ~~~~~~~~~ The truth will set you free... but first it will piss you off - Gloria Steinem Visit My Abuse Website