But what about my dog?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 24 - 11AM
JLS
JLS's picture

But what about my dog?

I've been separated for over a year now. There were some Hoover attempts, but I have been successful with no contact. I have stopped contact with friends family and places that I have associated with him. I burned the empty letters he had given me over the years (such a small pile for eight years of marriage) and gotten rid of furniture, photos, and gifts he had "given" (I think looking at the finances I actually paid for all my own gifts) to me.

However, I'm torn with my dog. I have two dogs, one was clearly "mine" and hated my ex (I'm pretty sure he broke her tail slamming a door while I wasn't home), and the other dog who was "his". I adore them both. However, "his" dog triggers painful memories some days. Mostly it's the nicknames the dog responds to, I always think of how he said his name or how he taught the dog that trick. It's not a constant thing, but when it hits I go into little fits of anger or little bouts of self pity. I refuse to give the dog up, the two need each other and I need both of them.

But how do I unassociate the two? It's certainly not my dogs fault he loved an asshole, I did the same thing for a while. I just don't know how to move past that little snag.

Oct 30 - 9AM
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Dogs also respond to tone of voice

Nov 7 - 7AM (Reply to #7)
JLS
JLS's picture

Thank you

Oct 27 - 1PM
Truthishere
Truthishere's picture

Focus on what really matters,