Doubts keep coming back

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Aug 13 - 6AM
Empath_NL
Empath_NL's picture

Doubts keep coming back

Hello everyone,

First I would like to say that I'm living in the Netherlands and I'm Dutch, so please don't mind the grammatical errors.

I'm a 25 old year student, and been involved with a guy who I think is a narcissist from January this year It was my first relationship.( I am also a guy, but had some trouble coming out because of my family.) But I keep doubting my conclusion and I would like you to think along with me. It is going to be long and I hope someone will read it and help me with it.

I am nice, idealistic, believe that we would have to make the world a better place for everyone.
He on the other hand could be really selfish and rude sometimes about other people. But presented himself as the victim to me all the time. He was bullied, his mom was a alcoholic who beat him, his ex was terrible and jealous. And yes, victims are my weak spot, so I really fell for it.

The first red flags where this remarks of him: "Do you know you made a terrible decision by choosing me? I can be really selfish." and "You are going to hear weird stuff about me, but please don't leave me, ok?" Out of the blue.

Then I discoverd some other flaws
-Talks about himself all the time, becomes disinterested when I say something about my day
-In the gym all the day, keeps sending pictures of his muscles
-Keeps fishing for compliments in a subtle way
-A lot of subtle bragging. He kept telling me that many people saw a Fire in his eyes. That he is like a God. That he has special genes (while he said "I don't understand why they see that in me, I must be very special right?) He told me that important people always associate with him.
-Unbelievable future visions, he's going to be rich, own a gigantic house, be a perfect father ("I want to take good care of you)

-Says he hates people and especially other gay guys(But not me I'm perfect, he is only interested in me)

-Says he watches TV to learn how to act in certain situations, because he doesn't know how to act

-He said once that he wants to keep his ex in his power (after I asked why he stays in contact

-Says I have to change my haircut (it's too basic), and I have to go the gym ("If you get muscles, I will marry you") But then adds I'm already perfect for him

-He told me not to talk to other gay guys about or relationship, because they were going to tell me lies about him. He told me weird stories about people telling lies about him cheating all the time in his former relationship. His ex left him because of that, and his ex also said to him he was a narcissist.

He is convinced that other peoples are jealous of him, and that's according to him why they are spreading lies about him. His laptop wallpaper stated "Do it for the people that are jealous of you and want to see you fail". Occasionally he changed it to a picture of himself.

When he had a drawback once, he just hurt me while I was soothing him. He used a subject that I was really sensitive about (him meeting with his ex) and said, I'm just going to meet him, don't care what you think. About his ex he said: "I want to keep him in my power/control (translation from Dutch)".

Then I discovered about his harem. There were a bunch of guys to whom he was talking and sending pictures all the time.. Day and night. Some of these guys he didn't ever meet, but they were just some guys he met on a dating website once. He had told me before about his wild past (had sex with more than 30 people, while he was my first), but said that he wanted to settle down with me now.

After that I also discovered he was still active on 3 dating apps (while our relationship was already 2 months old). One of them was just a disgusting hookup app. He convinced me that he just looked once on it.

During all of this drama I broke up 4 times with him. But he kept coming back. He cried a lot, said he wants to change for me, says he wants to go therapy (didn't do it), and love bombing. The fourth time I made very clear that I don't want a relationship anymore. And he acted like he accepted it, and after he week of silence he begged me to just talk a bit sometimes.

Now, a few weeks later, he just acts like we are a couple again, buying me gifts, talking about our marriage, sending texts full of love. I'm just very confused. I feel guilty for playing along (but I still love him).

I thought I was smart enough to get out of this, but I keep responding to him and answering his texts, and seeing him. Also I didn't pass many exams because of this.

Do you think he has NPD? And can you offer some advice to get out of this?

Aug 13 - 8AM
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Hi Empath

Aug 13 - 9AM (Reply to #2)
Empath_NL
Empath_NL's picture

Dear Goldie, Thanks for your

Aug 13 - 10AM (Reply to #3)
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Exactly