Anyone else feel a void??

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 2 - 12PM
kgirl
kgirl's picture

Anyone else feel a void??

I see through narcette, I see her for what she is....and I'm very strong about NC at this point.
I don't want her at all, EVER!

But I don't know what I do want. I feel such a void....such an emptiness. I have no excuse....I am surrounded by people....4 wonderful children, my husband, very sweet friends, a fulltime job with good people. Why do I feel so lonely??

Is is that I was so used to the drama and constant attention and care that narcette needed?? It's so weird...I have new found freedom and what I feel is just kind of empty and like I don't know me anymore...ugh!

Just wondering if others feel this way? And if you did, what helped??

Thanks! XoXo ~KG

Jun 4 - 11AM
Jewwell
Jewwell's picture

KG - I understand, I really do!

I understand the loneliness of this -- I feel that I am not the same person I was before I me the N. But, I have a husband (MANY MANY issues there), great kids, great friends, parents, co-workers, etc. that have absolutely no idea what is going on in my head. I get up, put on a smile and do what I need to do, but he never leaves my brain...no one but this group would even understand that.
Jun 4 - 10AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

You're just sorting through

You're just sorting through the mess. Things in our lives happen for a reason. This experience allows us to sort things out. You will. Gay?? I don't know. I think you found comfort / love from this crazy woman. She filled a void thru manipulation. You'll sort things out and come out ahead in the end. You know, nothing in life is perfect. if it was I could be boring. However right now with all the shit, boring sounds good. Hugs Hunter
Jun 4 - 9AM
kgirl
kgirl's picture

I'm so thankful for all the

I'm so thankful for all the support here.....amazing strength, such caring beautiful people. I hear what you're saying.....I am reassured by those of you who can relate to what I'm feeling. I also respect those who think I should be thankful and count my blessings....and I do. This post for me was more about feeling lost.... I was involved with narcette for almost 3 years...and I feel my whole identity was taken. She found me at a time when my marriage was weak. Now that she's gone, I feel a void where she used to be. And now I'm still in a weakened marriage...and one damaged further by my involvement with her. Not only that, but if I fell in love with another woman....does that make me gay?? I feel like my whole identity was taken away by my narc....I'm left in a weak marriage and not even knowing myself very well anymore. These are tough and painful things for me to deal with right now. I love my children immensely, I'm trying to work out how I truly feel for my husband. I have sweet people and family in my life....but none of them know or can understand all of this....and that is a lonely feeling... Thanks again for your support, kind words, and alternative views....I respect and am thankful for everyone here. XoXo ~KG
Jun 4 - 12PM (Reply to #42)
cstandsforcunt
cstandsforcunt's picture

You go on ahead and vent, this is what the board is for

what you are feeling is totally natural and common. The narcs took our heart and soul and totally raped us! Doesn't matter if you had four kids or no kids, a rape is a rape and the heartache is still felt. Other people would not understand but you go ahead and vent and do what you need to heal. Healing is key and there will be some days, hours, or minutes where you are all bright and smiles and others where you just want to go kick her shins and tell her what a horrible person she was. I have those too, it's natural :-) Like you, when i have good moments, I am out living and enjoying life with my friends and family as I am sure you are too! When I have the bad moments, I come here and vent or read so that I don't contact that evil soul sucking narc. If KG needs to vent to relieve her issues, then go get it sister! We are here for you and you need to do what allows you to heal and stay NC :-) Love to all!
Jun 4 - 9AM (Reply to #40)
Used
Used's picture

kg

i totaly get where you are coming from....when you are grieving no amount of anything takes the pain away..when i dropped narc i had this vision that everything would now be rosy....not so he was in my head day in day out...it is not that we forget what we have got, we just grieve what we have not... xxxxxxx
Jun 4 - 11AM (Reply to #41)
SoaperGirl
SoaperGirl's picture

I have the same problem KG

Good thing is it does get better. More and more you notice it less, but even when you find yourself thinking about him, it's not as bad as it was. It becomes more bearable. Have faith and hope. Sometimes, you just gotta hunker down and wait it out, until its gone.
Jun 4 - 8AM
SoaperGirl
SoaperGirl's picture

Feeling a void

I know I am richly blessed with good health, a good life, friends and family who love and value me. I live in a home I love, can do pretty much whatever I please, whenever I please. I have a good life, plenty of good food, decent clothes to wear, a nice looking car to get me around. I beat cancer last year and now my reconstruction is nearly complete. I have so many things to be grateful for. Yet, without my narc, there is a hole left in my life and heart. Sure, I can talk a good game about being tough and resourceful. At the end of the day though, my reality is that I go to bed alone, and feeling hungry for a pair of arms to hold me, a pair of lips to kiss. True, there have been times, I've read things, I was tempted to judge, but then I remember that we've done things we're not too proud of. It's part of being flawed human beings. Me too, and I try to keep those thoughts in mind before I lash out without thinking.
Jun 4 - 9AM (Reply to #38)
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Nice post soapergirl

I can see and feel your heart and you are right, when we put the focus on ourselves and what we DO have as opposed to what we don't have, it makes our recovery more about putting the focus on ourselves and what we can do to change us so we NEVER let these PD's harm our precious lives again. They take so much and for awhile it feels like we will never be right again and in time and with the support of the board and the people who truly do love, honor, and respect us: we will recovery; stronger, wiser, and with more to give to ourselves and those worthy of our love and affections. God bless, Goldie
Jun 3 - 4PM
girlsinger
girlsinger's picture

wow, maybe you need to read some of Hunters posts today

Forgive me I know that this is going to sound really harsh Im just going to be really honest here but to read what you posted all the miracles that you have been granted a job.... with sweet people ..no less 4 children your husband friends pardon me but sounds to me like you need to take a great big gratitude pill! seriously... maybe happieness is wanting what you already have dont you know it can be taken away in a minute? ask Hunter's friend, who lost her newborn yesterday the funeral for this infant was today wow be blessed k
Jun 4 - 9AM (Reply to #36)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Girlsinger

Everyone understands what you were trying to say. Please don't leave. I think Deidre summed it up perfectly: "But surely we all have blessings to count. I think KG and the rest of us, do feel grateful for the blessings we have in our lives. But, sometimes when we walk down a path into something maybe we shouldn't have...it still requires healing." We still need to talk about it and work through our feelings. However, as you pointed out and Goldie did an excellent job of validating, Perspective is so important to our healing. It doesn't mean we don't need to talk about things, but it is a helpful reminder to appreciate the blessings we have in life. Perspective is incredibly helpful in recovery and I know that's all you were trying to say. Here's a blog I wrote on the very topic. Please stay as we all know you were only trying to help by putting things in perspective for KG. http://www.lisaescott.com/2011/02/21/perspective-everything
Jun 4 - 8AM (Reply to #34)
Goldie
Goldie's picture

What Hunter has shared with us does put much into perspective

The narc just is not that important when you look at what can happens in good people's lives everyday. Their petty whims seem pale in comparison. This board has always been about honest sharing, and recovery as we struggle with the day to day hurdles and results of being with and recovering from a PD. We have a common goal and our strength lies in identification each other and the similarities of experiences, shared knowledge in understanding these disroders, and encouragement in each others progress. Comparing with each other and passing judgement is ALWAYS a formular for disaster and should be avoided when giving feedback. A safe atmoshere for getting it out and recovery are our goals. There may be differences of opinion and we want to be mindful that whether or not the poster comes form YALE or JAIL we make no distinctions because the RESULTS of a relationship with a PD are the same for all of us and this is the focus, to help each other to get through and over to the other side where we have ourselves back and feel safe again and maintain freedom from the bondage of a relationship with a PD. A PD makes no distinction, he will target the wealthy, the fortunate, the poor, the less fortunate, the beautiful, the average, the madonna, the whore, the drug addicted, the sober, the heavy set, the thin, the young, the older, the educated, the uneducated, the tall, the short, the good, the bad. If you have something they want, need, or are deemed good supply, you will be targeted. They may have one of each. One for their cash needs and one for their sexual needs. One to use as arm candy, and one to keep a secret in the house for sexual and physical abuse. One who loves God, one whe does not know God, the list goes on and on. Bottom line: all these people are being USED as supply by the PD to fit THEIR NEEDS. We must NEVER make distinctions here and assume that anyone's pain SHOULD be greater or lesser than ours because of their life experiences or financial and emotional status. We are all the SAME we all have been damaged and destroyed by a PD and we all feel devistated by what we have just gone through and are currently going through. What we ask is to remain ever mindful of this when giving feedback, we have just been through hell and back and are vulnerable and sensitve right now. A moderators job is to moderate, not to cure, solve, play God, play parent, or expert. This is YOUR board and it is a board with freedom. We place very few restriction on freedom of speech. All we ask is that you are respectful of each other's differences and if a post triggers you or you find it offensive, please contact a moderator in a PM and we will sensor if necessary, however, we don't want this board to be about that we want everyone to feel comfortable and safe in posting their thoughts and feelings. I see no problem here in this thread. A member gave some honest heartfelt advice and the other member responded with an honest explanation of what they felt; their truth. I don't ever ever want to see anyone leave because of a small misunderstanding, because this is about supporting one another and having the right to voice an opinion reflective of their own truth. God bless, Goldie
Jun 4 - 10AM (Reply to #35)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Goldie

Well said as usual. No one here is out to hurt anyone. at times things are taken out of context. Hunter
Jun 3 - 9PM (Reply to #31)
Deidre40
Deidre40's picture

But surely we all have

But surely we all have blessings to count. I think KG and the rest of us, do feel grateful for the blessings we have in our lives. But, sometimes when we walk down a path into something maybe we shouldn't have...it still requires healing. Sometimes, having a relationship with a narcissist is what many of us ''needed'' to get us to see the real problems within our hearts. I know that is the case for me. Falling for a narc is not the issue. Staying with an abusive narc when you know you should leave, is the issue. And finding out why we do that...is what we need to get to the heart of. Whether it's right or wrong how we stumbled into the narc's life, we have to figure out how to heal, and not to return to the same place again.
Jun 4 - 9AM (Reply to #33)
kgirl
kgirl's picture

{{{D}}}....thank you :)

{{{D}}}....thank you :)
Jun 3 - 10PM (Reply to #32)
Goldie
Goldie's picture

I totally agree with you Deidre

There was a void to begin with and add to that the Narc, and now the hole feels like a bottomless pitt. This is where following the 6 steps is a healthy way to fill the void while learning more about yourself and what brought you to this place. I feel closer to myself now than I did before I met him. God bless, Goldie
Jun 3 - 8PM (Reply to #29)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Girlslinger...

First, I apologize if my posting offended you; however, the same way you feel you have a right to your opinion, so do I. That being said, quite possible from time to time members will have different points of view, the point is whether or not we respect them. I clearly stated I respected your opinion and identified with it. I even admitted early in my recovery not being aware of subtle ways we engage in invalidation. It is virtually the fiber society is made of these days, nonetheless as members who have been abused and invalidated, this is not a trigger but an awareness when such activity is taking place. You started your post with: Forgive me I know that this is going to sound really harsh Im just going to be really honest here That right there to me was offensive...not just to me, but to any member as if something is harsh then why say it...BUT the flip side is if it is how you are expressing yourself - perhaps I should hold no opinion either as it is how you are processing and sharing. So for that, I do apologize but it just felt to me reading it, like activity that those who haven't experienced what we've experienced would say which is why I assumed you had more time under your belt. I still feel very strongly about comparing someone's pain to another's...and I stand by that, nonetheless, there are hundreds of members on this forum and if I'm not your cup of tea, then most certainly, I can respect boundaries, I don't think you need to cut off your nose to spite your face if you felt you were getting something out of the forum. I am one member against hundreds and I am pretty confident you can still gain and give alot to the experience. I hope you will re-consider your decision; however, if you feel this is something you cannot get past then I respect that decision as well. Again I apologize for offending you and you are correct perhaps private message may have been more appropriate. In terms of posting your story, the instructions are in the Share Your Story section and if you are still unclear I or any of the other forum moderators will be happy to guide you through it. I hope you will reconsider but more importantly I hope that you continue to heal with the health conditions you are experiencing as well. Hugs!
Jun 3 - 9PM (Reply to #30)
Anonymous's picture

I need to clairfy...

My words are not coming out right tonight at all... First my apology is genuine, I am sorry if you were offended. Next, I cannot speak for EVERY member that is speaking in abosolutes. Finally, I think the link below expresses shortly and sweetly my point. And I hope you understand my point, don't have to agree but understand and will re-consider. Hugs.... http://www.eqi.org/invalid7.htm#A quick lesson in invalidation
Jun 3 - 5PM (Reply to #25)
Anonymous's picture

Girlslinger

I respect your point of view and perhaps having more time into healing, your insight once well enough removed from the Narc crisis is how most would respond; however, for some the trauma runs a bit deeper and comparing others pain in a sense invalidates the victim. In the early stages of my recovery, I tried to make myself feel better by telling myself - it could be worse, this could be the reality or that could be the reality, but feelings are feelings and none of them should be discounted. It is counterindactive to healing. We find those sentiments in the outside world which is why many turn here for comfort as they try to make sense of what has just happened to them and why the feel they're going crazy. While perspective is key - the best way to heal is to get it out. I don't support nor am I encouraging "lingering" in victim mode, but in following the steps we go up and down back and forth have good days and bad days and while what Hunter went though yesterday and the news of her friend's tradgedy was heartbreaking, I'm not so sure there is a comparison to be made as pain is pain and even when the reality is we have much to be thankful for...grief is grief... If we were mourning a death, we wouldn't necessarily say: Well, look at the bright side, I'm not dead - no, we mourn and we go through the stages...and I think that is more what KG is going through. I felt the need to bring this up, as I believe you are well intentioned and did not mean harm at all; however, we do strive to make this a place where people feel comfortable to get it out without feeling there is a semblance of judgement, or that we're looking at things the wrong way...we have to get it out - the good the bad, the ugly, the pity and sometimes even the repitition of the same story because that is the tape that keeps replaying until the CD lifts...eventually the fog lifts...we need the freedom to lick our wounds and not shove the crap under the rug. Each case is different in terms of how long it takes to do that. Hugs...
Jun 3 - 6PM (Reply to #26)
girlsinger
girlsinger's picture

Michelle

Hi I think perhaps it might be best that I leave here its ok respectfully, if I may say I do think there might have been some other way for you to share your opinion than to post it, whatever the case I still stand by my "view" though..I really do as the member posting listed so many wonderful things in her life..so many isnt that why people post in the first place? to get different views? that was just my view as far as my story goes, I would have gladly posted it but there was a little confusion as to how and where and I certianly didnt want to upset anything, so I was waiting until it sorted itself out, which it looks like it has as it happens Im still coming back from 2 huge back to back surguries the last one was just march 2nd while still working in my field singing/performing with stiches still in and hosting on the radio to keep my S.A.G status, I really cant share what has happened with my "circle" besides, who would even understand one's devestation and life after an N? as I said..its ok I'll delete my profile, as I do feel that I really deserve to be heard just as much as anyone else here... BTW I would have been happy to PM you, instead of posting this I just dont know how.. I wish you Michelle and all on here the best and brightest future you could all imagine for yourselves and then some... be blessed K
Jun 3 - 9PM (Reply to #28)
Anonymous's picture

Girlslinger Pvt Message

I sent you a private message then noted that you said you didn't know how so just in case you still havent figured it out. When you log on you should see a notice that tells you that you have messages. What I do cause generally I can't see it is I click on Michele's Blog *not trying to get traffic...LOL* its just the only way that I see I can get to the screen that will let me see the "messages" link. After you Click Michele's Blog, if you scroll down to the RIGHT of the screen you should find the link to messages. You click that and you should be able to view them. Again, I am on an Admin screen and don't remember how the general member's screen is arranged; however, if a member has a better way to get to the messages link, please help Girlslinger through it. Thanks... Hugs!
Jun 3 - 8PM (Reply to #27)
kgirl
kgirl's picture

girlsinger..... I don't want

girlsinger..... I don't want you to feel you need to leave. I read all that you wrote.....I respect your opinion. But you said yourself.... "who would even understand one's devastation and life after an N?" And this is exactly my point......they leave you in ruins. It isn't that I'm not grateful for what I have.....but I have an emptiness that narcette left as well. Because of my narc, I also have some issues with my marriage and some sexual identity issues going on which complicates everything. I just hope to be understood here..... ~KG
Jun 3 - 3PM
Anonymous's picture

That void now KG

Is an indication that what is needed is to get back to the core of you which may have been neglected for a time, maybe even pre Narc. We've touched upon this some privately...but that void will linger as long as we remain "unfulfilled" it isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is a calling...a signal that change is needed in some area. Hugs!
Jun 3 - 9AM
dabussard
dabussard's picture

Yes

Yes, A huge void... All the things that I used to have a passion for is gone. ALl I have passion for is him.. It's all about "him". Part of it, is due to my broken leg and I can't do the things that I am passionate about. But, I am in his world totally... And He knows it.. That's the crappy thing.. He is using triangulation on me now and it is absolutely killing me inside.. Tears are rolling down my cheeks as I type.. It hurts so bad...
Jun 3 - 10AM (Reply to #21)
kgirl
kgirl's picture

dabussard......I'm sorry you

dabussard......I'm sorry you are hurting so much right now. Sending you a big hug. I know how you feel....narcette was everything to me for almost 3 years. Now that she's gone....she is dead to me....and I feel such a void. We just have to ride these waves and get through it. We will find ourselves again. How long until your leg is healed?? Sending you healing vibes, some inner peace and a giant hug :) ~KG
Jun 3 - 1PM (Reply to #22)
dabussard
dabussard's picture

kauaigirl

Thanks for you kind words... I have four more weeks to go on my healing process for my leg... I think what is making it so hard for me that the things that I love the most (my horses) are unavailable to me right now.. I can't feed, take care of and ride them... They are what kept me NC for six weeks... This is barrel racing season and I can't do that as well.
Jun 2 - 3PM
Alibi_10
Alibi_10's picture

A void

Yes, I agree with this... and it is very painful. In so many ways I am lucky, supportive friends and family, decent job - but I am painfully aware that I would have liked children, and that ship sailed by being married to a man who could not have them, then left me (not the Narc, although am beginning to wonder with him. He had an affair while I was distracted with my own ill health and with watching my father die in front of my eyes ,,, he said he felt left out !!) Perhaps it is too soon because I am still so confused and in a total fog, lurching between wondering why I let the Narc situation go on after the first screaming fit and actually missing the good things (few, but they were good) that he brought to my life. Now it is just me again, and I don't know who I am. Aware of just existing, going through the motions: Work, exercise, friends, family, hobbies ...... I do them all, but my life is not in glorious technicolour any more. I try and try to stay positive, but I can't see an end to the fog right now - all the word salad is playing in my head. I am sorry I don't have the answers just now, but keep hoping - there are a lot of success stories on here, all emanating from No Contact.
Jun 2 - 2PM
Done sourcing
Done sourcing's picture

Absolutely

Living in a heightened state of defense, always wondering what's coming next, what if this, what if that... it is all adrenalin producing stimuli.. over a period of time this heightened state becomes kind of a new normal, then poof, they are gone, and it is quiet, and it is peaceful, but quiet and peaceful is different, and unsettling, and unfamiliar...a couple quiet uneasy days, then the text, and the rush of anxiety producing chemicals courses through our body, and it feels familiar, and maybe it will be different this time, hope springs eternal, til w efinally realize our need can't be filled by them, it isn't them who will fill us up... so f'd up in the head don't know wtf to do, early memories of when it was so good and exciting, it keeps the insanity going on and on... Chris
Jun 2 - 3PM (Reply to #15)
Deidre40
Deidre40's picture

Wow...that is exactly right,

Wow...that is exactly right, DS!! Well said. And that is what I grew up with...always someone making me feel bad. Verbal abuse. Constant chaos and yelling. I 'found' it again in the recent narc...and now that the noise is gone, and I am happy to be free from an abusive man...it's easy to feel like a fish outta water. But, I have to rewrite the new normal. It was dictated to me throughout my life, and that was not normal whatsoever. To look at someone abusing us as normal. My gosh. That's when you know, something's gotta change.
Jun 4 - 10AM (Reply to #18)
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Perfect analysis of the abuse cycle being repeated as adults.

You have described my truth. "I have to rewrite the new normal." Yes Yes Yes. I was severely abused and the voices were quieted for years until I met the Narc who was a recreation of my father, the good and the bad and this triggered bad feelings in me which had remained dormant for years. Once they resurfaced, initially I felt like I was 5 years ago and felt paralyzed with fear and then my normal adult self kicked in and I got good and angry and began to protect myself and confront the narc and eventually got him out and regained my self in a way even better than I had prior to narc. His purpose was to trigger me and my own wounds and help me to heal from the old abuse. Through this experience I have a better understanding of what and why my father abused me. I am able to forgive and detatch from that abuse and realize that is was not my fault, I am not and was not a bad little girl and I was not and am not a bad adult. The spell has been broken and I am now a stronger, wiser, more self acualized self than I could have even dreamt possible and all of this was necessary in order for me to live fully and release the toxins from my mind, body, and soul which is where I was allowing the narc to dwell. I never got that close to any man since my father's abuse. My heart is open now, prior to the narc there was a dead closed part of my heart that I had lost access to and now I am at long last FREE from the bondage of self judgment, self doubt, and people pleasing sick dysfunctional men. They are no longer my responsiblity, I can let them go and go about the business of living my own life. God bless and an incredibly insightful post Deidre, thank you. Goldie
Jun 2 - 3PM (Reply to #16)
Done sourcing
Done sourcing's picture

Verbal abuse

which is really emotional abuse, with zero physical abuse at all, very tricky to deal with as a child. Sticks around underground as an adult. Familiar and uncomfortable, senseless on the surface, but at the unconscious level logical, in a twisted way. My inner child is the one who keeps trying to resolve that old crap today, it is probably why my picker is screwed up! Narc's everywhere, but my picker spots em and gets em. Chris