polite but cruel

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 13 - 8AM
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

polite but cruel

Was anyone else's Ex N polite but emotionally very cruel? My EX N never rubbed my face in his interest in other women, never hurt me overtly, never cursed or hit me, never criticized me - but he made me feel worse than anyone else ever by dangling the carrot for 10 years and keeping me on the perimeter of his life even though I was his GF. I feel he emotionally tortured me quietly with a smile.

Apr 25 - 7PM
agitating prop
agitating prop's picture

Ifinallygotit

Did he have any peculiarities in speech pattern, cadence, rhythm? Mine did. The first time I spoke with Michael on the phone, I thought, "Wow, if I didn't know better, I'd think by his manner of speaking that he's a psychopath!" Seriously! ahahah. Should've listened to my gut.
Apr 25 - 8PM (Reply to #12)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

agitating prop - No strange speech

He spoke in a totally normal manner.Except for three silent treatments and one final discard.
Apr 25 - 6PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

"Don't go all Colin Firthy on me!"

That's what I'd tell the ex-Psych prof if he ever acts prim&proper on me again... besides, it would be most pleasant to rub the Oscar winner's good looks, perfectly white teeth and healthy weight into his face. The ex-P would be incredibly polite&formal with me... yet incredibly controlling and verbally abusive. He'd call me a slut whenever I wore a dress or a skirt. I'd get the silent treatment... and he was apparently trash talking me to his colleagues, and they quickly tired of it. The ex-P apparently kept his mask on around me... but my classmates&his colleagues saw a depth of nastiness he wouldn't dare reveal in my presence. He'd say nasty things about his colleagues, his students... and he realized my disapproval. During my junior year, I told him to stop calling me a slut... and instead of apologizing, he distanced himself. He hated cursing&obscenities. When I called him a jerk, he said delicately, "I don't like it when you speak that way." So I substituted "jerk" with "bully." When he flaunted his girlfriend, he called her "MIss G" instead of referring to her by her first name. If she had been a fellow student or prof, I wouldn't have minded. She had introduced herself to me by her first name... so when he called her Miss G, I put on the Miss Innocence voice, saying in a condescending tone, "I didn't KNOW she had a last name. I don't KNOW her like you do." The ex-P cloaked his nastiness in formality and propriety. The final D&D was all about propriety. Should I ask him how many times he jerked off during "King's Speech"?
Apr 14 - 2PM
dudette
dudette's picture

completely

yes mine was like that completely. Everything that came out of his mouth was very nice and a compliment. Everything also had a double meaning.... But cruel beyond belief, stone cold, witholding, silent treatement type. Those silent rages, the thing with the eyes changing colour but the smile on his face.....
Apr 13 - 8PM
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

thankful

That there are a few of you who can relate. It seems these quiet nice types are the exception and not the typical N, but the emotional part is classic and extreme N. If I can be honest, which is hard after making excuses for him for so long, I always knew that there was something wrong with him. I knew his brain worked differently, I just could not put all the pieces together - I should have been able to figure it out as I have a background in psychology, but the the nice sweet generally low key side threw me off. Plus I really liked how gentle he was...I had info about bad treatment of other women but refused to connect the dots. I thought he had finally fallen in love! But at times I felt so unloved... The worst part is both the relief of being out and the simultaneous intense missing of him. I really loved him alot. I cannot yet accept the fact that I may never see him smile ever again...it is likely true.
Apr 25 - 7PM (Reply to #8)
agitating prop
agitating prop's picture

Sure we weren't with the same

Sure we weren't with the same guy? lol! Passive aggressive to a fault. Yes, low key, sweet, etc... I wonder if this type is like this with everybody or they just tailor their facade to their victims. Michael wasn't the kind, caring person he projected. He was particularly cruel, I'd say sadistic, as it turned out, but he knew I wouldn't put up with nastiness, so he kept it under wraps. And yes, he was super gentle. Total freaking poison. I loved him more than I thought I could love anybody. The more I read this forum, though, the more indifferent I'm becoming. He was a class act. Emphasis on "act". You'll eventually accept that you won't see him smile again and you won't care. It takes time. Ten years is a long time to be manipulated. Mine lasted just under 2 years and was long distance. I can't imagine how difficult it must be. Yikes! So sorry to read what you went through. Keep reading and writing. It will help.
Apr 13 - 8PM
Tinker
Tinker's picture

yes

you expressed it perfectly. the N would never talk about other women, was never violent but was just so dismissively cool that it hurt so much. it's as everyone says here - when we had a REALLY good day/night, the chances of being D&D'd goes way up. he couldn't stand the closeness. i too feel emotionally tortured, and no one who hasn't had that done would understand it, it's worse than being verbally abused. he never let me into his life no matter how perfect i made things for him, it was devastating. hugs!
Apr 13 - 6PM
kgirl
kgirl's picture

YES!....I couldn't even

YES!....I couldn't even explain to people sometimes what had gone on. Sometimes it sounded ridiculous and juvenile! But it's so covert....silent treatments, withholding, unfair comparisons, lies, displays on FB, thoughtlessness, not reciprocating, brainwashing tactics....all pasive agressive BS. An with time, this just wears you down to a shadow of the person you once were. You would look at her and think no way in hell could she do that....she looks so sweet..ugh!!!
Apr 13 - 2PM
trying2heal
trying2heal's picture

Yup

I always say this. Mine was so fake, polite and caring in person. It was a year he kept me hanging on a thread, while he had a secret hidden double life. He was emotionally cruel behind the computer, text and phone...but always so sweet in person. So worried about his image. I could attach crazy emails where he would contradict himself withing one sentence. Always saying everything was a joke or reframing stories and crazy making tactics. Sadistically hurtful and he is so full of sarcasm
Apr 13 - 2PM
deecbee
deecbee's picture

Yep! They have a way of

Yep! They have a way of "doing things" without actually doing them. Or saying something very hurtful in very subtle terms. I personally think it's on purpose. That's how they plant a seed of doubt in our minds. It's very confusing.
Apr 13 - 9AM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

ifnallygotit

Yes, they are very good a covertly putting the stingers to you...yes...I can relate...same story here...although at times there was a temper he never laid a hand on me...that is why I was so cluster effed, a whole different person emerged at the end. BUT in hindsight, I realized the crap was going on allllllll along. Hugs!
Apr 13 - 8AM
Used
Used's picture

ifinallygot it

or as the song goes, KILLING ME SOFTLY WITH HIS WORDS, i can no longer listen to this songxx