I don't know how to stop the madness. Terrified.

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 1 - 2PM
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

I don't know how to stop the madness. Terrified.

I havent gone back just once or twice, I've gone back dozens of times over the past 3 years. I look in the mirror today and I don't know who I am and I know I really despise myself. There used to be so much beauty in me. A lovely, giving person and now I'm jaunty, untrusting, angry, bitter, cold and confused. I did what so many have done and exactly what he wanted. I no longer have family relationships and all of my friends are gone. I chose to isolate myself from everyone because no one liked him and could not understand why I was even with him. I felt like I was fighting the world to be with him so it must be worth it. It was perfect for him, I could be always ready to cater to whatever he wanted. He bankrupt me financially, emotionally. He left me homeless and penniless and thought nothing of it. This last time I honestly thought he was trying to do things differently. I thought I had forgiven him for all the past use and abuse of me. I thought the relationship was going better than it ever had when actually I was still doing the same things, whatever he wanted so he would be happy with me. I think at this juncture I've completely lost all sense of anything I knew to be normal. I'm so angry that I have verbally blasted the scum bag over and over and over with all the ways he's violated me, how much I loath him and I still don't feel better. I'm just lost.

I have severe PTSD. I'm too ashamed to reach out to anyone. I've cut so many people out because of him. I figure this is my karma. This is exactly what I deserve. Now I am the pathetic, crazy person he's always told me I was. I've turned the rage on myself and I feel absolutely hopeless. I am exactly who he said I was. No one can love a crazy person. I was always strong and competent and I'm so weak now. Not only weak but I'm so alone. I spend entire weekends in bed and I cannot get this creep out of my head. It's so weird when we're not together I feel like I miss things about him but when we're together I fricken hate him. I've never behaved like this in my life. Every relationship I've had in my life, every single one of them are still my friend. I'm 44 years old, I was married for 14 years and had several other long term relationships. I have never felt like this. Sure I've been hurt but the more he hurts me the worse I do behave when D&D arrives. He behaves badly then I lash out and then I'm bad because I've behaved inappropriately so of course, I'm the bad one or at least worse than him and he's out of the picture again until he's horny or broke or missing someone to cater to him. There is no calm when dealing with him. My span of feeling resentful and angry is MUCH shorter than 3 years ago. I could go months of being walked on, manipulated out of every nickle, catering to his every need until I was so exhausted and now I cant go a week. I feel so classless and embarrassed about how angry I've gotten. He just took so much and I let him. It's hard. How do you pretend to put one foot in front of the other long enough to survive until your real legs start to return? I'm a mess.

Apr 8 - 10AM
truetotruth
truetotruth's picture

Epiphany- Please

I do not know what the drama was all about. With all my heart I swear to you I get it and you are not alone. There are ladies here so beautiful and loving and thet WILL help you. Sh*& happens. Im sorry it happened. Until your legs return jump on my back and i will give you a piggy back until you can walk on your own two. Dont give up. I had to retreat from here for a while to get over the shock but dont stay away too long. This place is the path to love and laughter. You will make it!!! Hugs and big chocolate and vanilla cupcakes to you!! Love and light.
Apr 8 - 4PM (Reply to #51)
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

I've found more

I've found more support and comfort from the people here than I did in 3 years. My "friends" thought I was a total loo loo. It's hard to describe to people who don't understand. Yep, I've been through Chernobyl without the thermal suit pretty much sums it up. Or I've been running around Ace Hardware looking for a GD lollipop for 3 years and I just can't seem to find one anywhere."
Apr 6 - 12AM
ImStrong
ImStrong's picture

I fear you may be going

I fear you may be going crazy try and relax

"In the fiery pit lays a man with two faces.One is the face of a God and the other a face of the Devil.Beware He lurks your souls.Keep one hand on your heart and the other hand over your eyes. Let him walk pass you not into you.Ghost of love will possess

Apr 6 - 7AM (Reply to #47)
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

Excuse me?

Biting my tongue and it's bleeding. Obviously a new comer to this particular thread. I will refrain.
Apr 6 - 10AM (Reply to #48)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Jaded

Hang in there girl and just ignore the unhelpful comments! I have gotten a few too - this is a public forum so I guess we should expect all types of folks - go with the pearls!
Apr 6 - 11AM (Reply to #49)
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

Doing Good!

I hear that. The fine hairs of sensitivity still on full alert. My immediate reaction was "Hello XN, is that you?" Perhaps stemming from the years of being told I was crazy and constantly told to relax. There's so many amazing people here. I've felt the prayers and well wishes. They've given me the strength I needed to make those first, painful but necessary steps to finding my way back to me. I'm so grateful.
Apr 5 - 3PM
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

Thanks everyone

Thanks to everyone who reached out, messaged me with their wisdom, warmth, support and advice. I am NO CONTACT! Closed and not checking email, closed my account we real time gamed together on, have a block on my phone. In 3 years he never contacted at my job even once, in fact I doubt he could even tell you where I work. How sad is that? I live in a secure building but this scum bag is so lazy he would not drive across town to try to see me. I put an app on my blackberry that blocks calls from private/unknown. He would have to move heaven and earth to get to me and I prefer he just continue to reside in hell while I enjoy the new air I'm beginning to feel. Thanks again everyone! Just gonna keep steppin' in the right direction.
Apr 5 - 10PM (Reply to #44)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Jaded

That is really wonderful news...it is a journey, but I am glad you finally decided to start taking steps in the right direction. Do not get discouraged...you have much to gain from this journey... Hugs!
Apr 6 - 10AM (Reply to #45)
spinning
spinning's picture

Jaded, good work!!!

I am so proud of you! I agree with Michele, you are moving in the right direction and people here will help you...you know that cause you've been here a while. You are stronger than you know and you will need to call on that strength in the coming days and weeks, but just think how good you'll feel...heck, I can already tell from your post about the steps you've taken that your feeling stronger. It is so good to see you PUT YOURSELF FIRST here. It is no longer about him. It is ALL ABOUT YOU NOW! I am pulling for you and sending the good vibes for strength, peace of mind and healing. sincerely (determined to stop) spinning

spinning

Apr 5 - 12PM
truetotruth
truetotruth's picture

Jaded 66

Hi sweet heart.....theres so much to say but I will keep it simple. I was where you were not very long ago. The PTSD really complicates things. It also explains alot of the madness. You have been tramatized. You are fighting for survival. I promise you from one broken heart to another, you will live again. I know it means nothing now as depression and the haunting ghosts will not leave your bed side. I know the agony and the grief. I offer you the gift of hope today though I know you may not be able to feel it, it does exsist. You are more loved than you will ever know and you are fighting for your heart whether you are willing to acknowledge your strength or not. I know the shame and the feelings of being out of control. This is not you. This is the disease that has infested your soul. I am not going to lie to you and tell you this will be easy and fast but I will tell you that I used to worry I would never laugh again. I laugh. This weekend...I laughed so hard with my girlfriend I literally almost peed my pants in a public resturant. I laughed so hard I cried and then I cried because for the first time in 8 months I laughed with my whole heart and soul. There is grace in this world and hope remains. Its coming for you...I promise you. ake a chance on me. The women here are wonderful, they will understand your mess and hold you hand in the darkest hours. I will be thinking of you and praying for your recovery. You are not alone and we all fight this battle along side you. please dont forget that. love and light.
Apr 5 - 7PM (Reply to #42)
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

Wow

Awesome. You definitely have taken control of the situation. Good for you
Apr 3 - 6AM
Tinker
Tinker's picture

Jaded...

I haven't posted in awhile. I was where you were last summer, at 2.5 years into the relationship. Yes, I should have cut him out of my life last summer (and many times before) but finally, yesterday, I did it. I was not strong enough last summer to go NC and wanted him desperately, so i did what i had to do to get things back on track with him (no matter how humiliating), then I worked on myself. During my 3 weeks in bed (literally no energy for anything), i read everything I could on every related subject, got on anti-depressants, used ambien to sleep and heal my body, tried to keep down good food (I was down 15 lbs). I couldn't heal and deal with losing the relationship so I worked on me first. I was so depressed I thought about suicide. I even thought my daughters didn't need me any more. When I told him this, he responded that my state was really unattractive, no compassion at all even tho i had done nothing wrong. I tell you this because others told me and it was hard to believe - YOU WILL NOT ALWAYS FEEL LIKE THIS, YOU WILL GET BETTER. Slowly, I got stronger, very slowly. I was better able to deal with his craziness when I focussed on me. He D&D'd me on Christmas morning and i still managed to have a good Xmas with my daughter. We got back together after that as I still felt I wanted him. I still do, I still miss him terribly, but finally yesterday, I wrote a 3 word response to his TM, cut him off FB and blocked him. Do I wish he'd write and beg for me to come back? Yes, but I don't think that will happen and part of me is ready for this space between us. PLEASE, take care of yourself STARTING TODAY. I am PTSD as well, still in therapy and will be for a long time. Take care of you physically first - good food, some meds as needed (you're sick right now, you need the meds don't fight it), stay with the site. Little by little you'll get YOU back. When you're ready, you can cut him out, when you're strong. I am now off all meds and have some balance - this month would be 3 years. What a ride. Many, many hugs, Jaded. I'll be thinking of you...
Apr 2 - 8PM
apple
apple's picture

My heart hurts for you Jaded!!!!!!

I soooo wish that I could help you more. All I can tell you is that once you get away from him longer than a couple months everything starts to fall into place. The brainwashing starts to go away. The PTSD actually got worse for me when I was away from him for about a month. I was still thinking about how mean he was and still trying to make sense of it all. I know it hurts so much right now but you have to keep your chin up and keep moving through the pain. You will laugh and be happy again. Stay Strong!!!
Apr 2 - 12PM
Goldie
Goldie's picture

DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM HIM

This is the only way to break the cycle. He has you brainwashed. The only way to begin to see what is up is to get out!!!! Give yourself some time to clear up. God bless, Goldie
Apr 2 - 10AM
dudette
dudette's picture

We ALL have PTSD I imagine

and we are all in various stages of grief....and we all have various ways of talking about it..... Somtimes when we see in others behaviours thar we find frustrating, we probably feel like shaking the person by the shoulder ( or take them for a walk or lunch etccc) but physically that cannot be always possible so our posting here is the only way we can express this I have complex PTSD and a bunch of other issues, some physical and some mental but all due to the narc and my PA husband.... Sometimes I get CD and get things wrong. Sometimes I feel very lonely with it. Sometimes I get some online tough love and take it very personally indeed.... Sometimes I think I have moved on and know better, and the morning after I wake up feeling over anxious and in pain again... I think all of us are like this in some way....I guess we can only try and give each other a bit of the benefit of the doubt, a bit of "I am having a bad day and so is everyone else..." I know today is very very painful for many of us......Let's just try and ride it together hey.....
Apr 2 - 9AM
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

Who or what is at the root of

Who or what is at the root of all of this controversy? It seems that there is constantly some kind of controversial exchange going on here all the time now? Is there a pattern? Is there one person or persons involved everytime? I think this needs to be examined. Its happening way too much on here. This just happened with me not even a week ago. This time I wasnt even part of this? So what gives here? There is some dynamic going on here? Honestly the only reason I am still hanging around is because Lisa asked me to.
Apr 2 - 9AM (Reply to #30)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Yep, what seems to be the

Yep, what seems to be the common denomator? Or should I say who? Idealk
Apr 2 - 10AM (Reply to #31)
Epiphany
Epiphany's picture

Enough

I came to this forum to feel better. I clearly felt I was being addressed in a manner that I was not comfortable with by ideal and I said so in a kind way. I fight every day to understand what's happened to me. Only I can say how I feel and why I feel that way. My feelings are mine. I found comfort and understanding from almost everyone. I am not in a place for tough love. In fact her approach is the kind that caused me to isolate. I don't feel here that I should ever have to defend or protect. Here I get to be raw and broken. I dont believe I am the problem for that was one of my first posts here. Thank you to everyone who offered a hug, support and kindness. I don't have the energy to fight with anyone. It's not who I am. I merely had a feeling and said how I felt. This post should just go to bed. My intent was to purge without judgement, find understanding and be among people who are suffering in the same way I am. Even my therapist would not take the same hard line ideal has. Part of being human is recognizing the needs of others. I don't need to be smacked into submission anymore or agree with things that feel wrong to me. That is the place I'm trying to leave. Sadly things like this are the very thing that keep me isolated and not wanting to reach out.
Apr 2 - 11AM (Reply to #36)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Again, I'm coming in a bit late here

It seems this disagreement is being put to rest now, which I'm relieved to see. Jaded - My heart goes out to you. I have been where you are and it feels hopeless. We all know how you're feeling and want to help by offering advice that has worked for us. We must remember what works for one may not work for another. We offer each other advice based on what has worked for us and we leave it at that. We cannot argue over whose advice is better or more appropriate for the individual reaching out. We are not doctors. This support forum is a supplement to professional medical advice. We all have different approaches. I believe Ideal was misunderstood as she says: "If my approach has offended you I am sorry! I have help many here! I get this more than you know, I never personally insulted you, if you took it that way again I'm sorry!" I hope you can accept her apology. She was offering help in the way she knows how. If she didn't care, she would not have responded. Michele has her own approach as well and wanted to offer compassion and tenderness. We have so many people on this board offering advice that is is impossible to avoid disagreement. Not to mention, emotions are running very high. At the end of the day, I know we are all here for the right reasons - to find support and help one another through this terrible time. If someone offends you, by all means you should speak up immediately. If someone offers advice to someone else and you do not agree with it, please refrain from commenting. No one understands what it is like to try to love a narcisssist unless they have been through it themselves. Together, we offer each other support on level no one else can. That is why we're here! I used to run an OCD support group in Chicago and talking to others who felt and thought the same way I did was the most incredible form of healing for me. To know I wasn't alone in my thoughts and pain was so comforting. This is precisely why I started this forum! We understand what it is like to try to love a narcissist better than anyone else. Let's not forget that and remember to take what helps and leave the rest. xoxo Jaded - I'm going to reach out to you directly and hope to hear back from you.
Apr 2 - 10AM (Reply to #32)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Jaded

This is the last thing I will say! I personally have suffered! If my approach has offended you I am sorry! I have help many here! I get this more than you know, I never personally insulted you, if you took it that way again I'm sorry! My therapist has a tough approach and strength is how plug along! I can't type so I tend to be short and to the point! These men are evil andthe only way to over come this is to fight for your life! Idealk
Apr 2 - 6PM (Reply to #33)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

ideal (and Lisa)

Your style is cute and on a good day I appreciate. But I must say, I almost dropped off this site because of how inappropriate many of your comments are for people in pain in early recovery - no offense! I am trained in clinical counseling. it is not healthy to use the same approach for all people and can be very insensitive. you could push someone over the edge who is in a precarious emotional spot with your one stop shop style. Lisa, as owner of this site i understand that you must welcome all opinions, but if something is unhealthy for people, you should not be afraid to call folks on it. Ideal, your tough love may be VERY helpful once someone is out of the acute crisis but harmful when they (we) are in a vulnerable state. Ideal, I noticed that you have been improving and less confrontational. Please know this is a place we come to feel safe after being emotionally run over. I have been thinking this for awhile, but did not want to offend anyone and I like Ideal and appreciate her reaching out to me. I, for one, DO NOT WANT tough love right now. I already have an unfeeling Narc mother, incapable of giving any emotional support. Sorry if anyone takes offense here but I am sick of this problem here and I desperately need the help of this site. It is fantastic! I might need a kick in the butt from Ideal in a few months when I am stronger and less raw so not saying no place for tough love, just modulate where and when to give it!!
Apr 2 - 7PM (Reply to #34)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

ifinallygotit

Thanks for your feedback. It's helpful and I will definitely apply it going forward. I can certainly understand why you don't want tough love right now. I think we should all keep this in mind when offering advice here. This is a place we come for comfort and we are in a fragile state. Most of us get tough love from the people who don't "get it" and come here to be understood. Thanks again for your honesty. xoxo
Apr 2 - 7PM (Reply to #35)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Thanks Lisa

i have PTSD since the dump and it gets triggered by some of the things that i read here. I also have a very hard time standing up for myself (like with my N) so it stresses me out asking people to back off! By the way, I am not a practicing counselor; I am in the education field. Many therapists are codependent though (need to help people to feel good) and have unexamined issues of power. I have a wonderful kind healer/therapist that i work with but I am thinking I may need a trauma counselor. I have some deep issues to work through and do not pretend to have it together!! I felt alot of terror run through me speaking my peace. I think I was not allowed an opinion as a kid...Also I had to be happy, perky and together for my N. If I was anxious or upset he would avoid me. I pretended I was not unhappy to keep him around. I really have felt lost since the abandonment and you folks have all helped me get my legs back under me!
Apr 2 - 8AM
Monica
Monica's picture

Jaded....my heart is breaking for you

If we lived close to each other I would pick you up and take you out for a long walk, a nice lunch, a funny movie and hours of letting you cry and talk and tell your story and get it all out. I am a little over one week out from my break up (the absolute LAST of many) so I know exactly what you are going through. I was on and off with mine for 4 years, 3 of them as friends, the past 9 months as a "couple." I gave him everything, did everything he needed, was there for him when he was low or struggling, paid for a lot of our expenses (even though he made much more than what I did), cooked for him, supported him, defended him (BIG mistake). I did not even know until this past week, when I started telling my "story" for the first time, that he had been verbally and emotionally abusing me. I told friends what I had been through, my doctors, my ex-husband ...and they all told me that I had been abused. I had no idea. I just thought I wasn't good enough for the xN and never would be. I have been a basket case for the last week plus and don't even remember 6 of those days at all. Friends and coworkers (he used to work with us) have been SO supportive but only because I actually told my story this time around. Before, I had been silent. That was a mistake. Now I have an army to protect me. Many of them told me that they knew he was bad for me and they didn't like him but they wanted me to be happy. I will NEVER go back to him again. He is blocked from every area of my life. I have discarded everything that reminds me of him in my apartment. If we are permitted to, I will give you my gmail address so we can chat. The most important thing we must do now is reach out to those who love us and are (or were) our friends, even if it means admitting we had been involved with the wrong person and are now suffering for it. I isolated myself, too, and removed myself from my friends but they have taken me back in and are supporting me. I even isolated my family. I am 50 years old. This is the first relationship I have ever had in which I was abused. We WILL get through this and leave the abuse and narc behind! We can support each other. All of us here on this board. Email me if you want to
Apr 2 - 8PM (Reply to #28)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Monica

Thank you for sharing: I did not even know until this past week, when I started telling my "story" for the first time, that he had been verbally and emotionally abusing me. I told friends what I had been through, my doctors, my ex-husband ...and they all told me that I had been abused. I had no idea. I just thought I wasn't good enough for the xN and never would be. This is think is one of the key factors with those of us who haven't been physically harmed that we've been abused! It is a shock and I think feelings of violation, very much like a physical rape come into play...but it is a mental one. That is why we go through the PTSD...and struggle because society for the most part has "images" of black eyes, broken bones connected or blatant evidence of emotional abuse like yelling and name calling... BUT equally damaging, and equally trauma causing is the stealth attack on your psyche which when first D&D'd you CANNOT articulate because you have no reference point. Nevermind, the whole concept of a disordered person who cannot attach or love...or the concept of "illusion"...
Apr 2 - 10AM (Reply to #27)
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Not knowing abuse

Same thing happened to me. I did not know that I was being verbally, emotionally & psychologically abused. My N said I had problems communicating. I was so messed up believing that I was not good enough, something was wrong with me, if I did what he wanted--everything would be ok. The problem is that abuse escalates. I ran across an article quite by chance on "verbal" abuse. I was stunned. The example conversations were happening in my marriage every week. My N was saying the same words which were given in the examples. But, I went into denial. I thought, N didn't understand how hurtful his devaluing was to me. So I spent another year trying to communicate with a man who wanted the opposite-of-communication. Such a waste of time. But I started to read more & more about abuse. Then I read Robin Stern's book on gaslighting. I saw my N in that book, what she called the most dangerous kind: The Intimidator Gaslighter. That was it. That ended all my denial. That week our marriage was over. It took me two months to get out of there physically. I suggest while laying in bed all weekend, read as much as you can about abuse. What it is. Validate yourself that you are being abused. Read about narcissism. And, if you make the decision NEVER to return to him -- I think your family & some of your ex-friends will be there for you. But, one cannot expect these people to be there when they see you destroying yourself. Seeking validation from them & then *poof* you're back with N. That makes them part of the cycle of abuse. They may not recognize it intellectually, but emotionally they feel used & they will walk away. And this is what you have to do as well, STOP allowing yourself to be used by this man. Change your phone number, your e-mail, change everything. Drop off the face of the earth. Only your nearest & dearest have your information. & if you are so isolated, then there are not too many to tell of the new phone number. When N comes around, he will be shocked. And if he comes by, do not open the door. And get a restraining order if necessary. However, making these irrevocable decisions is often the very last thing the victim wants. The victim must understand what compels her to continually dance with such a jerk. It is a compulsion--something from the past.
Apr 1 - 8PM
Arwen
Arwen's picture

So with you so with you please know that

With all my heart I have been exactly where you were many times in my life from the abuse I suffered as a child and from subsequent abusive men. There are many days including today that I felt I couldn't get out of bed. I was hospitalized twice for a few days for postpartum depression and I did continue to seek seek seek the right doctors to find the right meds and ultimately I did and I was not depressed or anxious faster than you can possibly imagine. It was a miracle. I got a great new therapist because I had moved with my family and needed someone good and I found her. Trust me...you are going to be okay. Do what you need to do and go over to the ER and just start talking to the doctor on call and the residents. They will take it from there. You need rest, some meds for anxiety and depression, and to be cared for right now. You have been through enough with the PTSD and now it's time to get real help. I am sending so much love and telling you I am living proof that I was not my depression, rather, the depression and anxiety was taking my life away until I said no to it. Just get up and go over there. Nothing has to make sense now...it will soon. But now just get some rest and help. HUGS
Apr 1 - 7PM
sadlymistaken
sadlymistaken's picture

Dearest Jaded

I have been exactly where you are also. It's a living hell. They break us completely down and then out of fear, we cling to them. I was to the point where I literally could not get out of bed except to take a 20 minute shower, and I had to work up to and force myself to do that. And then it terrified me because I wondered what would happen to me when I could no longer manage to even do that. I realized I would perhaps lay there in my own filth until I died. I also had NO ONE to turn to other than him-and of course he only made things worse. I suddenly got a $3,000 amazon gift card. I began researching and trying many, many different supplements-spent the entire thing and then some. But the things I stuck with that worked the best for me are very affordable. The thing that within a week enabled me to start forcing myself to begin adding some exercise everyday was a supplement called DHEA (I got the Natural Radiance brand lotion on Amazon for $20). I used 1 pump 3x daily. This also REALLY helps my sleep. The 2nd biggest helper was an amino acid called L-Glutamine which is super inexpensive-like $10. I took 1 1000mg pill 3xday on an empty stomach (protein eaten before or too soon after inhibits absorbtion). This stuff was such a lifesaver! My obsessive thoughts went from being completely out of my control to, though it still took effort and work, usually controllable. I could find an off switch for my brain! Heaven! And the 3rd thing for me was L-tryptophan, another amino acid (again-not with protien). I hadn't had a good nights sleep for years. I take 4 500mg pills before bed and adding this to the mixture enabled me to finally start sleeping 6-8 hours a night. The healing powers of a good nights sleep are immense. I take many more supplements now and I'm exercising nearly everyday, etc. I seem to have one day that includes moments of pure joy (I found God in this healing) and then one day of darkness again. But the days full of despair are much easier to get through when I can tell myself that tomorrow will be better. And the only times I get back to remaining in despair for several days at a time is when I have contact with the N. Anyway, I hope something here can help you or someone else. I've been thinking of writing a more detailed post and sharing my trials and errors, and stuff that didn't work for me but that I learned while researching that many others seemed to swear by. But maybe there is at least a start-something to try? We are all different of course but these are the things that helped me with my adrenal fatigue from the PTSD. And I'm 39 so we're around the same age. I have zero side effects from any of this stuff so far other than peace of mind and I've been using it for about 6 months now. Hugs and best wishes to you P.S. Most of the feeling out of control and craziness that feels like a personal weakness to us is really caused by all of the imbalances the constant stress creates in our bodies. That's why it has gotten so much worse over time-your body was wearing down. You're not weak or crazy-when you correct the physical imbalances in your body, your brain will follow. It's just yet another sympton that stress creates-like a headache. It's REALLY not a you.
Apr 1 - 3PM
sara-smile
sara-smile's picture

Jaded66

You are being way way way too hard on yourself! I've been there and sounded just like you. These ladies on this site picked me up and put me back together. Listen to them and follow what they tell you because everything they say is from experience!! We've all done the things you've done and been where you are. WE GET IT! Your friends and family won't ever get it. Nobody can understand all of this unless they have been directly effected by a Narc. The first thing you need to do is see your Dr ASAP. You need to get some anti-depressants to help you calm down and cope. You can't fix anything in the mess your in right now. The 2nd thing you need to do is find a good therapist. Those 2 things are a MUST. You sound so depressed and you need help! GO GET IT! I agree with Michele, if you feel like you need to go to the ER!!! I had a complete meltdown Tuesday because of my Narc and a very WISE woman told me that this is NOT about him anymore......it's about ME. You've got to wrap your head around that and you've got to do in NOW. That person you described that you "use to be" is still there. I PROMISE YOU! You have to find her and get her back. When you realize that you will start the healing process. This is about YOU now. NOT HIM! I was with my Narc for 3 years and in 3 years we broke up 100 times and I always went back. He mentally and physically abused me and I WENT BACK. It took me a long time to get away from him and it took this site to help me but I finally did it!! There are still run-ins with him but we are not together and won't ever be again I'm happy about that!! I never thought I'd say that. You can do this!!!! We will be here for you day and night. HUGS!!!! Sara
Apr 1 - 3PM
helldweller
helldweller's picture

Jaded

Oh my God. I could have written that post a year ago--six months ago. The only reason I'm not still there is because HE went silent on me three months ago after I found out he had at least five other women the entire time we were planning our marriage and babies and "raising" my daughters and "our" foster child. It's not pretty now, either. I'm pissed as can be, enraged, but his silent treatment has given me the distance at least to look at the whole thing from outside of it. It scares me that I was powerless over the whole thing, as I know you feel you are. I don't know how long it takes. My life is still pretty much ruled by thoughts of him, but I AM getting better, in miniscule amounts every day. You HAVE to go NC and go to therapy. I am making incredible progress setting tiny goals each week with my therapist. You know what? Turns out the focus of everything is YOU, not him, in therapy. And you know what? The focus of what's wrong in your relationship is that you're still there. I knbow it sounds harsh, but I have realized after about nine months of therapy that most of the problems of my life came from my willingness to put up with people that treated me like crap. I know, I know I know that where you are right now is a place of incredible, impotent SUFFEREING. I was there for four years. I know the self-loathing, I'm feeling it still. I know the feeling of knowing how great you are and that you threw it all away on him and are now the crazy woman he said you were all along. But you're not crazy. He is. The bitch is this: it takes time for the real you to triumph--over him, over all those who have watched you be nuts with him, and over you, most of all, who has come to expect not much of yourself. Giving it time is not a pleasant prospect, I know. It's truly like hell, living through the excruciating moments of getting better, when you don't even know if you really are. You have to just make a start. The only way to start is no contact + therapy. And if you are drinking or doing drugs to cope, that's gotta go, too. Also, I totally know what you mean when you say all you want is to be with him, but when you are you hate him. I spent every day begging him to see me and then, as soon as he said he would, I would go into a panic, shaking and sweating and crying and thinking, "Now what? How do I get out of this? I don't want to see him!" When he'd come over all I could think of was getting rid of him before my daughters woke up and saw him because they, too, hated him. I just wanted my little cozy life with my girls but some demon in me kept trying to see him, kept trying to bring him in to make everything dirty and awful. God, I feel so deeply for you. I'm so sorry. Please NC!