"being friends?"

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 21 - 11AM
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

"being friends?"

I have recently been thru what I thought was a hoover, but for him he said it was like he was talking to his best friend.

We have been separated almost a year, I went NC in August and we have 2 children together. His rebound post me ended and he called me first. I felt bad for him when he reached out to me and I as well was starting to enjoy the attention that I was rec'ving that I had became to live with for so long.

The past few weeks we have shared some old time conversations and comforting affection and it felt weird but welcoming.

That came to an end last night as i questioned what the hell was going on? I explained that couples that separate don't do the things that we have been doing, but no physical activities were engaged in.

One of our conversations that just wont leave me was he felt he had not only lost his wife, but his best friend too. I agreed with that feeling, saying i miss my best friend also. He said that when he saw me, he wanted to hug me and that he was talking to me like his best friend.

So... my question is why did he put me in the friend/best friend categorie? Like did he really think with all our history we could be friends?

Today I'm feeling hurt, that I thought there was something more to his flirting and charm. But also relieved to know Im not in the web of lies anymore, and that I'm way better off on my own even I'm feeling alone and miss the good stuff. :(

Mar 22 - 12PM
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

Thank you All!

I just wanted to thank each and everyone of you that commented on my post. I was feeling rather crappy about this and with your help and kind words I have turned it around in my head and got a clearer understanding of what is going on and what my next steps should be. THANKS!!! :-)

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 8PM
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

He is not friends with ANY of his exs

He told me none of his exs will speak to him one day when I told him I had spoken to an ex boyfriend and asked if he was friends with any of his exs (trying to be open and not sneaky with him about what I do). I did not press him, but now I know WHY. I wonder just how many women he trashed and abandoned? I was his only long term relationship, though I guess he had girls he screwed around with for a few years at a time...it was the LEAST close relationship I ever had and for him it was the MOST close relationship he ever had. He only valued male companionship for friendship. Seems he tolerated women for sex and intimacy and to look normal to other guys. It was fascinating to me to see how important if was to him to make guys think that women are interested in him...His guy friends were all married, but he was forever Peter Pan - the bachelor. I read an article about him on the internet from 20 years ago and at 34 he was already a self-proclaimed bachelor and proud momma's boy... Friendship? With what? A ghost? He did some nice things for me, but almost never voluntarily...on my birthday he would do a bunch of things for me because he never had money for gifts! I am going off topic but I KNOW he would never be a friend to me, especially without the game of sex! He would probably leave me for road kill if I was injured and he would have to leave a group of buddies and be inconvenienced. Or arrive so late that someone else had already helped...not a friend, never a friend - like one of you told me before, the nice things he did for me were to make himself feel good...
Mar 21 - 5PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

"I was NEVER your friend"

After the final D&D, *I* was the one telling the ex-Psych professor that we could be "just friends" after I had declared my love to him. I told him that I had considered him my friend since my sophomore year, because I hadn't been enrolled in his classes. Since we hadn't been sexually/romantically involved, I assumed we could be friends. But the theme of the whole final D&D was how we could NOT be friends... even when I was mere months from graduation. He snapped at me after the final D&D, "I was NEVER your friend." As for Ns/Ps going away from the whole experience unscathed-I think I dealt him some Narc wounds. Because he doesn't come back to me. I made HIM look at HIMSELF... even if it wasn't pretty. I was the one who tried to destroy his delusions of grandeur, even if it hurt. It was after I met the girlfriend that the Great Reversal began... I no longer walked around campus crying. I cleaned myself up. I got my act together. I focused on my studies. Yes, I managed to graduate. I'd be the one speaking serenely to the ex-P while he was throwing tantrums. But *I* was the one who told him we could be "just friends." But he said, "oh, sometimes teacher/student relationships stay teacher/student forever... and sometimes it grows into friendship." The on-campus therapist (his colleague, another professor no less) said that YES, when he told me he was never my friendship, she validated my feelings of betrayal. In her eyes, I wasn't crazy. She said "He's a teacher, not your friend"-but without judgmentalism (it FELT that way at the time) Still, she validated that I felt profoundly betrayed.
Mar 21 - 4PM
really
really's picture

They can do exactly the same

They can do exactly the same thing to you as a "best friend" as they can as your partner. Believe me. It's just as excruciating, but with the added twist of dangling the full-on relationship in front of your as a means to secure your supply, as was my case. Of course, I'm not talking about a former husband, but pain is pain and there's no way he can stop from behaving the only way he knows how. That's who he is.
Mar 21 - 2PM
mystwoman
mystwoman's picture

With a narc, if they want to

With a narc, if they want to be "friends", they're only looking for NS. He put you into his "best friend" category because he's buttering you up to use as his supply. You said you felt bad for him. That's exactly what he's hoping for. Narcs want to have their cake and eat it, too. He doesn't want to be married to you or treat you how deserve. He wants supply. Xnh has tried this, and I think he still has delusions that "some day" I'll come around and we'll be "friends" again. It won't happen. That would be a relationship that is extremely one-sided just like it was before (all for his benefit and under his control only). IMO, friendship (or any relationship for that matter) should be mutually beneficial. A true friend does not treat you the way xnh treated me. They don't disregard your wishes, demean and devalue you, put you down, cheat on you, lie, break promises, hurt you either emotionally or physically, disparage you behind your back, or insult you directly in front of others either. That is NOT a friend. A real friend cares about you for the person you are, and treats you with respect. If they goof up and hurt you, they feel real remorse, and try NOT to hurt you again because they value you as a person, and they value your friendship. Xnh did not treat me like a friend. Actions speak louder than words. He treated me like a tool in his equipment box, and not even a particularly favored tool at that. I was the wrench that was left out on the driveway to rust in the rain, used like a hammer, and ran over multiple times with his car merely because he couldn't be bothered to take proper care of something that could have lasted him a lifetime. When the jaws of the wrench finally quit working, I was thrown into the trash and told that it was all my fault. And he wants to be my "friend" after all of that? I think not. There is not enough repairing in this universe to fix that wrench (relationship). In my book, he blew it. He had his chance (a nice long 16-year chance) to truly be my friend. I deeply loved him. I really wanted to be his friend in the most honest sense of the term. Xnh did not return the favor. Now it's over. The time for friendship has passed. Any friendship with xnh would never be a true friendship. By being "friends" with xnh, I would merely be consenting to being once more mistreated, devalued, and xnh's worse than discarded tool. To me, that's NOT a friendship. Being "friends" with a narc is only setting yourself up to be used, hurt, and abused some more by the narc, and then they discard and devalue you (again) whenever the urge hits them. To that I say not only "NO", but "HELL NO". Remain NC. You are absolutely correct. You are so much better off on your own. You deserve better. Hugs.

Mar 21 - 5PM (Reply to #17)
Alibi_10
Alibi_10's picture

Being friends

Yes - have had the friend thing,too - and can honestly say that everyone who has replied that it doesn't change the way you are treated is right. He said he would make a better friend than a lover or a partner, but it just made things more complicated. He didn't want sex ... but I turned up at his house once, and he was half naked 'cleaning the shower' !! If that wasn't playing games I don't know what is. I did try to be friends for a long time, but he continued to get annoyed if I called him just for a chat, screaming that he was busy; another time he was coming to see me, then sent a text to say he had to work - then turned up and acted like a child because I hadn't prepared any food. I tried to explain why ... made an idiot of myself offering to make it then, or take him out for a meal, but I got the scrunched up face saying he wasn't hungry any more, followed by him moaning all evening that he was hungry - then refusing to make eye contact and giving me the silent treatment. I was more furious with myself for not telling him to get the **** out of my house. No, on reflection, it is a Very Bad Idea to fall for this - it is such an easy option - they can still get us to run to the food bowl like Pavlov's dogs, but then they snatch the food bowl away and hide it in a different place every time. The thing is - I think once they have lost respect because we are decent, kind and loving - it never comes back. It has taken me a long time and a lot of heartache (and a lot of reading on here) to realise this.
Mar 21 - 3PM (Reply to #16)
spinning
spinning's picture

Wow, myst...

What an awesome comment! Great tool box analogy, it paints such a true picture... ...strong, wise words here. Thank you! Sincerely (finally slowing way down from) spinning... ...and feeling pretty darn good, too!! :}

spinning

Mar 21 - 1PM
Scoop
Scoop's picture

"lets be friends " .. "i miss

"lets be friends " .. "i miss my best friend" ... lets just look at that statement "my best friend" if you where to be a pick a best friend (rolls eyes are we 6 years old here ) would that person be like the narc ? with all his shaming , lying ,belittling , gaslighting ,double speak ,devauleing , puting you in danger of STD ... i could go on but you get the message. Just because you have taken sex out of the equation dosnt mean he will all of a sudden becime a deasent human being , in fact he is already messing with youre head with the narcs ridiculous mixed messages .. it never ends with a cluster b , they make you crazy , end of story . I would say that you miss him , sometimes i miss my narc so much it hurts but i know i cant have him in my life . Its ok to miss him and love him its not ok to do anything about it .. big love xx
Mar 21 - 2PM (Reply to #14)
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

Scoop!

Thanks, yep, I felt the same way. he's like an addiction, not a good one, but an addiction to me.

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 12PM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Playedwithfire

I keep saying I'm going to take a nap then I peek on here...and HERE I AM....LOL I'm going to keep it simple.... Rose Colored glasses...I understand you took them off...kindly remove them from the counter, throw them on the floor and jump up and down on them twenty times. Have a drink of water, or a glass of wine... Come back to the forum, go to the Share your story section...click on the hyperlink that says topic...this will alpebetize the list...scroll down to "Playedwithfire's Story" That's all I'm going to say. I won't lecture you...you had a moment where you forgot...it happens... Go back to your story and REMEMBER the REAL Story... Hugs...
Mar 21 - 1PM (Reply to #12)
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

Thanks Michele115

I will do just that when I get home from work.

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 12PM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Friends

That's number one on their D &D list! I believe everyone of us had been dished, "let's be friends" Played with Fire, this guy never changes! I'm sorry for that but if you allow him back in all the time you'll never get better and move forward! He's not good for your heart & soul ! Idealk
Mar 21 - 2PM (Reply to #10)
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

that is true Ideal

I worked hard to keep him out but when he contacted me to say he was done with his ex, it was like relief and I wanted to know about it. Not realizing that I should have just smiled and slammed the door! But in the conversation last night, I did say he couldnt, keep coming back to me every time he ends a relationship. And I also showed him some guts by saying I was afraid he was just using me until he gets another gf and drops me like a hot potato.

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 12PM (Reply to #9)
Veronrose
Veronrose's picture

Yeah, let's be

Yeah, let's be friends.....okayyyyyyyy. Friggin Losers.
Mar 21 - 11AM
spinning
spinning's picture

Hi, played...

I hope you've been doing well. I think the 'friends/best friend' thing translates to: 'unlimited supply that is does not require maintenance.' Contact with him always messes with you a bit... ...I am happy that you notice that you are not caught in the web of lies. That's all it is, you know. Sincerely (barely) spinning any more!

spinning

Mar 21 - 2PM (Reply to #7)
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

Hi Spinning

Yes, I have been doing well. Have not been on as much, but come back frequenly to read and when shit happens and i'm looking for advice or support... like today. Hope you are doing good.

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 11AM
IncognitoBurrito
IncognitoBurrito's picture

Oh no!

Let me collect my thoughts, before I pop off about the whole "Der, can we still be friends???" BULLSHIT. It's a scam. Hm! Gets my blood pressure up!
Mar 21 - 11AM (Reply to #2)
WiserNow30
WiserNow30's picture

Yes, I've gotten the can we

Yes, I've gotten the can we be friends thing. And you know what? When I was with him he used his friendships with his exes to show me that he isn't that bad of a guy. Makes me furious. I'll never be his friend for how he treated me. He is a pathological with a disorder. No thanks! I have real friends that aren't trying to use me.
Mar 21 - 1PM (Reply to #3)
Playedwithfire
Playedwithfire's picture

wiser, agreed

he told me his ex-girlfriend used to ask him, "why does she hate you so much?" But now, I think he has another but not saying anything about it, so he can have this nice rapor with me and then wham, bring her by when he picks up the kids.

Playedwithfire

Mar 21 - 6PM (Reply to #4)
Redhead1
Redhead1's picture

I would like to be his friend

I would like to be his friend long enough to ignore his calls and text like they never happen. Then answer one about every 30 days and tell him I was busy:)I wanted to say I am stuck in my angry stage. But it's not anger anymore. It just humor now.
Mar 21 - 6PM (Reply to #5)
IncognitoBurrito
IncognitoBurrito's picture

Redhead1

I know, right?! Haha! If only it were that simple.