ifinallygotit's story

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 7 - 9PM
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

ifinallygotit's story

Denial comes in waves

I am still in too much pain to share my whole story. I was friends with the N for 12 years and in what I thought was a committed relationship for about 7 years. I always knew that there was something very odd and limited about his communication, but I decided to accept him for who he was (and thought that his high profile professional career had stunted his emotional growth). I was healthier at the beginning and broke up with him one summer when he was rude and ignored my needs for weeks. That was long ago, over time, I fell deeply in love, lost all boundaries and accepted really horrible rejecting disrespectful behavior, as if it was normal. I pretended he was very independent, could not handle intimacy, deep down loved me and was just doing his thing, being nice to everyone on the outside world, being a local celebrity about town (he used to be famous) and only being with me when he felt like it.
I was the only long term girlfriend he ever had. I used to stupidly think he was just late to mature and had finally found someone he loved and would grow into appreciating me. Now I see I just was more codependent and took more crap than any other woman, so provided perfect low maintenance supply! Of course he liked me better than the others, so much easier. Plus I travel alot so it allowed him to have the freedom to screw around as much as he wanted. He told me that he used to see other women but stopped doing this for me - he couldn't really say when he stopped dating other women, just that it had been years...
I believed every lie he ever told - again perfect supply. He did silent treatment me on me two different summers for no apparent reason. Once, after a fun day when he did some nice favors for me, he disappeared for 6 weeks until I finally went to his house looking for him totally stressed by his disappearance.. He was calm and glad to see me and had no explanation for his behavior, just said he must be a jerk. We immediately got back together for another 4 years. Most recently, he abandoned me after leaving town
permanently while I was away on a vacation. He emailed me that he had left for a job interview when actually he had packed his clothes and drove across the country to a job that was already waiting for him. He called when I got home to say" I got the job" (he already knew he had the job before leaving town) and that we were definitely not breaking up, that he simply needed work. My car was still parked in front of his house here (that he no longer lives in) and my clothes and car keys are still in this house 7 months later. After about a month of a few calls and emails after his move he seemed to be very distant. He invited me to come visit him (I said I wanted to see him) and I never heard from him again. I thought it was just another silent treatment and that he was having adjustment problems. I had no ideas that he had broken up with me, deserted me for new supply. I did not know he was an N, he was a "nice" quiet but rejecting and controlling type. I sent emails and got no explanation ever. I called him after a few months and he did not say he wanted to break up or good bye. he acted like he missed me. He posted pictures of himself with his new gf on facebook after another month. I am the natural type, she looks like a hooker (really). He never called me again but texted happy holidays twice at TG and xmas. I have not heard from him again - no good bye, no lets arrange to return each others things, no apology. We were very very close even though it was an unhealthy r. The end had been freaky and devastating...I still cannot believe he could be this bad and cold but he is. I had warning signs and knew about his past which was not good. I thought I was different than all the rest...

Apr 11 - 6PM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Ifinallygotit

How are you today, I noted that you were having some difficulty last week processing everything, and I presume this week is still a bit difficult. How are you feeling this week, are things becoming a little clearer for you? As you are aware, changes were made to the board. If you are not aware of the steps, in the Home Section, Lisa has outlines each step in the Path Forward... Steps 1-3 are now in the Share Your Story Section and Steps 4-6 are now in the Message board section... Of course, you may use both boards as you see fit. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with or you want to share... Hugs!
Apr 10 - 9PM
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

I am still wavering in denial - help!

The facts are black and white" abandonment after 10 year close relationship no discussion of wanting to break up has a new GF posted on FB 12/31 (yep new years eve) he stopped all communication on new year the only fuzzy part is i broke contact after 2 months and he said he missed me - he never contacted me again though why do I want to contact him still???
Mar 14 - 8AM
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

Well if its any consolation

Well if its any consolation atleast he speaks to you. Mine will not acknowledge me in any way. Its as if I simply never existed. I have know him since age 17 was pregnant with his baby in my twenties (lost baby) I married someone else age 28 who is truly a good guy. Right before my 42nd birthday we found eachother on fb and what seemed to be friendly conversation turned romantic and for a few months we were consumed with eachother and it seemed that he really wanted me back permenantly. Many discussions on how we would accomplish this and that we needed to take it slow and make really good decisions esp since I have a child involved and he lives 300 miles from me. Then one day he began to turn cold and distant and began to only speak to me via text and over the last year things just kept going down hill until late october when he completely discarded me. I mean completely. The whole thing just tightened the trauma bond which had been lying dormant for the past 15 years. Truly heart breaking for me. There is no worse form of abuse than being treated as if you never existed from someone that you had an intimate relationship conceived a child with and someone who claimed that they would love you forever
Mar 14 - 12PM (Reply to #19)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

sick of it

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this too. Actually, he will not speak to me, text, or email me. He moved in the summer for a job and we were supposed to stay together after his move. After about 6 weeks he stopped calling (got a new GF?) and after another few months of only texting, he stopped returning texts. His texts were like as if nothing was wrong. He stopped texting 12/30 and posted pics of him and GF on New Years Eve together. She has fake everything a woman can do to herself for attention. He has a huge smile on his face, like "look what I got! A new flashy sex toy!". He never said he wanted to break up or good bye. I simply got blanked out of his world, like 10 years never happened... I called him last week at work recently after 4 months after our last talk (broke contact after 2 months)- it was freaky. He was fairly nice but still acted like nothing ever happened. He just agreed with everything I said, passively. I said it was weird to be strangers and my things are still in his house. I have gotten some advice to forget the stuff there...So I guess 20 years from now when we are old my things will still be there (he has one of those big old family houses with tons of stuff that does not get thrown out..creepy). I felt numb after the call, no huge relapse but certainly did not help me. He said he missed me, but of course his behavior shows he does not...this is some bizrre stuff we are learning about. I knew he was different, but not this different! I hope I toughen up and accept the truth so that I do not get urge to contact him again. It is getting a little better, but sure is a slow healing process..Silent treatment is the worst torture for sure...
Mar 14 - 5AM
JMi
JMi's picture

OMG this guy is probs what my

OMG this guy is probs what my N will be like in a few more years!! I'm 28 and unfortunately i married mine even though i had silent treatment the week before the wedding i ignored all my gut feelings! I would have these extremes from my N where he'd weep and beg for me back once HE'd dumpede and then next thing i know the calls,texts,conatct would just stop out the blue!!?? WTF!! People would say to me.....whaddya mean you ain't talked for 4 days? Why? Where is he? AND i would make excuses for him...........WTF!!! I have been NC for just under 2 months sine he went AWOL (he'd been shagging my friend since before the wedding) Wehad a week of him begging me to make our marriag work and then after 5 days of me thinking ok we r back on track he disappears.............GONE! I don't speak to my husband for a week so then i text him and he respons in a text that its over... YES IT IS!!! He has moved in with my friend, they are blissfully happy. We all live in e same town, he's lied about our break upwhilst i've been hiding away mending my broke heart.....he's told all our mutual contacts awww it just wasn't working........whlst sneaking around with that friend of mine. SO i'm out there now i'm telling every single person i see whats happened - the TRUTH and now..........he's moving away hahahahaha!! He said my family are stalkers (my wonderful family supported this wankjob for 11 yrs) and i was a demanding nag (erm we haveno home we lived with my parents and i paid for everything!!) This website is an eye opener - keep reading- get angry and realise YOU ARE TOO GOOD! My N used to tell me how admired and respected he was as a bartender at work.....yeah really! he used to revel in the fact that women of all ages would be suggestive and sexual charged towards him and offer him sexual favours all the time! Then he'd follow up with the same punchlines......aw i told 'em i had a girlf/fiance to which they'd reply...what a lucky girl!! Um hmmmm?!?!? I never felt the need to tell him anything such that i'd encountered from men and if i ever had.....holy shit he would have thrown a massive strop!! Any male friends i had - he found them annoying and they were against him blah blah blah i remember one of my good male friends trying sooo hard to get on with him and me cringing at the way he treated this guy......its things like this i love to recall to help me realise what an utter Gimp this guy really is! THESE GUYS THINK THEY ARE TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL WHEN REALLY THEY AIN' EVEN MATURE ENUF FOR THE NURSERY You are gonna be fine - this guy is gonna forever be searching for this fulfillment that will never materialise. Please don't let him play with you anymore!! x
Apr 7 - 7PM (Reply to #17)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

JMi

thanks - yes he has a huge ego and thinks he is super cool (he was an athlete so he thinks rules do not apply to him) - very very immature, acts 25 in his 50's... I constantly made excuses for his bad behavior and even find myself slipping in to that now. But he is true NPD in behavior, not just spoiled and full of himself. He did all the classic NPD stuff - including perverse reactions to positive things that would make a normal person happy... The lack of predictability drove me nuts. I used to retreat early in the relationship to protect myself when he was mean and he would then chase me like crazy and act right for a few days...I would always for it...
Mar 11 - 12AM
fooled no longer
fooled no longer's picture

Sounds very similar to my

Sounds very similar to my story, except I married my freak, and now I will leave him in his own shit. Dont feel bad. smart women do make stupid choices when in love. Youll be wiser now, and protect your delicate heart.
Mar 8 - 9AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Finallygotit

Yep, another F'n freak! It's easy for me to say but be glad he set you free! He's doing you a favor! Huge,Big,Super Duper,favor! I know it's hard to believe that he just up and left. Not only do they have. Personality disorder they are cowards. I really think they get a charge out of hurting people! It's a big game! Look he's gone you won't get any answers from him, you need to figure out how to survive this PTS he has caused to you! Get into therapy ASAP, you'll need to get on Anti Depressants, educate yourself on the disorder, begin to heal and discover who you are! If he makes contact with you, you MUST delete him. NC is the only answer! Don't try and figure this out any more, you did nothing wrong! Try and find peace within you! It will happen, be patient with yourself! God Bless Idealk
Mar 8 - 3AM
onwithmylife
onwithmylife's picture

Ifinallygotit

WOW, some similiarties with my EXNarc and yours for sure. I thought after his 4 failed longterm relationships that things would be different with ME. I spent 15 plus years trying to make it work while he discarded me over and over again and yet I would always take him back and for so many years I kept blaming myself until I met his first wife and she kept telling me that none of it was my fault, it was all about him.That was the first eyeopener buy even knowing all that I still stayed with him because I too loved him deeply and gave my heart and soul to make it 'work'.He left to move to another state, changed his phone number, never told me and left me with a roomful of his stuff that he was too scared to pickup. he told me once he was afraid of women and his mother did a horrible job of parenting him, never let him make the break from her, she spoiled, doted on him after initially wanting a girl, she already had a son 17 years earlier. If all goes back to early childhood and we all were unwilling suspects in terms of our falling in love with these fake humans, it is sad.It takes some of us longer and other shorter to finally get it.
Mar 8 - 9AM (Reply to #2)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Ladies, Be proud of who you

Ladies, Be proud of who you are! Nuts = Nuts, you can't fix what's broken! Or Nuts = 5 PTS on the weight watchers chart. :) go for the almonds, toss the Narcs in the trash! Idealk
Mar 8 - 11AM (Reply to #3)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Thanks

My xN also was overly close to his mother and was doted on. He never married and never really broke away from the mom (she died). His team mates even made fun of him when he was in his 30's (years ago) for being a momma's boy which I read about on the internet... I am not feeling lucky about being abandoned (even though I know it is for the best) as this is still pretty shocking to me even though he left last summer. I did not figure out that he had dumped me until late Oct. We texted inane greetings to each other in Nov and Dec while I was in total denial. I am coming out of the fog now and it ain't pretty. I went no contact for the last two months (which is what he wants anyway - he does not want to face me) but I just broke down and called him at work yesterday. Part of me wants to know if he is really an N by experimenting with contact - part of me just wants to "make nice" and not have such a freaky ending with my closest friend (denial returns?) who still has my things in his house. I really do not need the items, but it would be nice to get my car remote back. He now lives across the country but he has people here with a key to his house. He never gave me a key to his house after years of going together - always lots of secrets...some people say just forget your stuff and others encourage me to get my things back. What do you all think? I know my mental health is the most important thing and it is NOT good though I am stable, working and socializing with friends. I have obsessed for many hours trying to understand what happened. This site is a blessing. I have a good counselor but think I may need more help. By the way, he was startled when I called him (after not speaking since Nov) but was sort of friendly and cool as if nothing happened. He sounded tired, definitely no joy in hearing my voice. I only stayed on for a few minutes and said something like I hoped we could acknowledge what happened and not be too weird with each other after 12 years of friendship with my things still in house. He agreed with everything I said and said he missed me (not true, he has a GF and has not contacted me). We discussed his dog who he also left here... I loved the dog and never got to say bye to him either. I said something dumb before i hung up as I did not know how to end the conversation. like "would you like me to send pictures?" (why would he want pics of someone he abandoned and does not want to hear from?? geez I am in early recovery!). He said "sure, if you want to send them!".Ay yah yah...I can see he was not the only crazy one now...I have a long way to go...the phone call accomplished nothing of course, no closure.
Mar 8 - 12PM (Reply to #4)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Finally

You poor thing, honestly, if this were me what would say about this? This man is a Piece of Shit, he is down right evil, WTF? I'm going to yell at you now, Do Not Call Him again!!!!! you and not a dog ,you are a loving woman who deserves better! Do Not ask for your things, he has your things as a hold or form of control. He wants you to beg for them! The only way this is going to get better is to stay here, get therapy and stay NC with the Devil! If you would to talk you can PM me and I'll give you my number! We are all here to support and help you! Be Strong Idealk
Mar 17 - 12AM (Reply to #5)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

getting a bit stronger - Ideal

This site is a true blessing and it is helping me get"unbrainwashed" slowly. I read and read and read trying to get my brain to believe he really did this to me and he really is gone. The denial still comes and goes though - I still want to have a reasonable conversation and know why he dumped us so quickly after his move. We parted in love and both said we would overcome the distance and did not want to lose the love. But as I read, I realize more and more there was no love, only supply and that he quickly tossed long distance used supply for new local supply. Getting my brain to accept this has been a huge challenge. Every morning when I wake up he is on my mind until I get myself moving...its such and awful greeting to the new day. I guess my brain is still trying to process it. I feel like shit and I look like shit (and I am vain!!). I can't seem to get to a hairdresser even...but I am feeling less crazy and dazed from the abandonment. My friends are not surprised because he was such a bad boyfriend, but I am surprised! As bad as treated me, we were unbelievably bonded and spent many hours just quietly holding hands and kissing watching TV with the dog on our feet...after 10 years we were still very affectionate. I was sure he loved me - but not true! I relapsed a few weeks ago and called him after 4 months but I do not feel guilty. It was so bizarre, it does not make me want to continue, plus every day I understand more that he will have no explanation for his behavior. The amount of strain in his voice was unreal, not sure if it was guilt or fear but it was definitely not indifference...I always had to do all the emotional work when we were together and even on the relapse call...he agreed with everything I said - but now I understand that he is mimicing what I say and avoiding confrontation. I know we are all getting well together, but I can't help but feel like my xN was stranger than some...I don't hate him and I do not think he is evil, I think he is lost and desperately trying to regain a lost image. I hope the pyschic bonds break in time. I think I need a change of scene to get unstuck. I am going on vacation soon and I may move when I get back. Not running from the problem but think your space is important to have a good psychological vibe. I feel like his vibe is here and down the street at his house. I already cut my land line...it will be weird to move and have him not know where I live (he will return to visit this city even though he moved, his family is here). i always told him everything. He was my best friend and family. I have no family here and am lonely without him...he was actually nurturing in an odd way. Wish he was only an ass...but now he is a BIG ass. They say that they get worse in a life crisis (move) with no stable authority figures around like older family members or old GF (me!)
Mar 17 - 6AM (Reply to #6)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Ifinallygotit

Hello, keep reading, You are still behind the eight ball, you are making excuses for this man who has put you in the state you are in. Trust me he is evil, he is dead inside.You are moving forward and this is good. Hugs Idealk
Mar 17 - 12PM (Reply to #7)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Ideal - the game is over

I think one reason I feel so crappy is because reality has finally set in and the game is over. I was probably addicted to the highs and lows, and he would always pursue me after a bad stretch and we would be great for awhile. This is different, total abandonment, the end, he wants nothing to do with me, all of his communicications were only in response to me texting or emailing him - no initiation since last Sept. I guess he already had a new GF last Aug but it took me until Nov to figure out this was not silent treatment - that he does not care about our many years. He set up new shop afar and moved on with ease -never bothering to tell me we broke up...I wrote one last email a month ago (after no contact for 2 months)saying its ok to break up, but unhealthy to pretend nothing happened...I realize now as I get healthier, there is no point trying to reason with someone when there is no logic or sense to anything. All I know is he dumped me quietly, won't speak and just said that he misses me!!! Nuts. Its a new day, the sun is out and I am going to take a break from this stuff and try to enjoy today!!!
Mar 18 - 3PM (Reply to #8)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Finally

He's a FUCK head! Your story is one of the worst here! My heart bleeds for you! You are correct, you can't reason with the unreasonable! The silent treatment is so cruel, I hope they all get what they deserve in the end! If there is a Hell there is a special place for them! You attitude is changing and that's awesome! Just give it time. You will have bad days but those days pass! Hugs Ideal
Mar 18 - 4PM (Reply to #9)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Worst case...

Yeah, I know its a really freaky one, but was hoping I was not one of the worst cases...please tell me why mine sounds worse than the others... In my heart, I know the cruelty was severe, even tho he could be the sweetest ever.... You can private message me if goes off topic of "DENIAL"
Mar 19 - 3PM (Reply to #10)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Finally

WHo the HELL moves and doesn't tell you, WTF? That's hard to swallow. Maybe things were bad but just a tiny conversation may have been nice. What a coward! what you are suppose do, just say oh.. ok have fun.. Thanks so much. Plus the silent treatment. I get the silent treatment, That is worse than a punch in the face. At least you can see the punch coming. At this point, it is what it is. You deserve better, In my opinion the OW can have him. My guess is we'll see her here soon. Day 1 is coming for her too. GRRRRRRR!!!!! Idealk
Mar 20 - 11PM (Reply to #11)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

Ideal - yes it was very bad

Thanks for reminding me of the severity of the emotional abuse. I am overwhelmed by the fact that I took it for so long - big counseling bills ahead! Is is scary that I do not feel the anger yet...this must be related to my early childhood stuff - accepting abuse as normal and being the "sane" one humoring the unhappy troubled one... I m not over him - need his spirit exortized from me. My days are getting better but I am still pretty tormented...
Mar 21 - 8PM (Reply to #12)
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Finally

Trust me the healing does go in stages. The anger is coming. The part I enjoyed most was eating my way into ten extra pounds, now I cant seen to get off. I hate all these Freaks, Keep plugging along. Every day you are getting stronger. I can see it. Idealk
Mar 21 - 10PM (Reply to #13)
ifinallygotit
ifinallygotit's picture

getting stronger - Ideal

Yes, I can feel a little bit of strength returning - I can be feisty when I feel good and felt a bit of my spirit back. You guys are really helping me! Also Spring is coming and a vacation to a warm place, something to look forward to - yeah! I think we need to make sure we have little things to look forward to - to break the intensity of learning about this stuff. I have not yet accepted that I will never see him again, but after I reached out to him (broke NC), he did not respond - I was not even asking for anything and said I accept the break up as for the best - still nothing...