You were just too healthy for him

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jan 10 - 1PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

You were just too healthy for him

We don't call Narcs predators for nothing. They act just like them. I like to watch the National Geographic channel, and though I hate to see the big cats kill and eat the poor antelopes I have learned a great deal about US that I have to share.

Predators, in the wild, are essentially lazy. Big cats (lions, leopards, tigers) sit on their asses most of the day, or creep along side a herd of buffalo or impala. They are targeting the weak and the sick. They might charge the whole herd but do not go after the biggest buck. They ignore that one. They go after the animal that APPEARS to be the least amount of work to subdue and kill.

It's the same for Narcs and psychopaths, our human predators.

We survivors and victims are a lot like a nice herd of water buffalo. Mild and gentle natured, sensitive to the needs of the herd. Slow to startle, perhaps, and as long as the wind is blowing in the right direction, oblivious to danger because we don't THINK like a predator.

When a lion begins the hunt, it begins to chase the entire herd, so that it can target the animals the move slowly, the ones still dreamily chewing their cud, the babies or older animals that don't immediately scatter.

I've watched a pride of lions try and take down a big ole water buffalo. Six or seven lions handing off of this massive beast, and if it doesn't come down fast enough, they abandon it and go after a LESS obstinate creature.

The water buffalo in question is tore up, bleeding and exhausted, but it will live to see another day.

That is one helluva a grateful water buffalo.

When you understand the core essence of the narcissistic or psychopathic personality, being dumped by one can only mean one thing.

You fought too hard to stay alive, to stay yourself. You resisted too much. You were too much goddamn WORK.

The Narc's core essence, their self-felt reason for being, is to achieve and maintain control over you (and everything elsea). This is absolutely CRITICAL to understand. Everything the Narc does, and I mean EVERYTHING, is engineered to either take or keep control. From those beautiful early days of bliss to the end times, they are doing nothing but attempting to keep control of you. Manipulating you with positive or negative feedback. This is all they know how to do in human relationships. It's their critical weakness.

So when you get D&D'd, it's natural to feel utterly rejected. The narc makes sure you get the message that you are worthless.

Not so.

You were too hard to bring down. You were too strong, your character too sound for the Narc to take you apart and achieve his goal of absolute control. No matter WHAT the Narc did, whatever humiliation, whatever display of "love", whatever piteous manipulation of your tender heart . . . you just would not fall down and give him your neck.

So he dumps you.

Not because you are worthless.

But because you were too goddamn strong.

And he's off to easier, slower prey.

Sep 17 - 2AM
Anabelle
Anabelle's picture

YESSS!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! He told me many times, that I am too much work and I take his energy away, because he has to build an empire. SURE, WHAT ELSE? :) Other's just opt for a startup or a company.... Our relationship fell apart because:I CONFRONTED HIM with his bullshits and manipulations, I didn't let his parents treat me like a nobody and I stood up for my rights. HE WAS SCARED because he couldn't control me (and my anger) when his family forced me into an unacceptable deal and I was fighting. I was not willing to close my eyes and admire him blindly and not willing to follow him after a certain point in the process of my own distraction.During the last crazy days I KNEW i am strong and I KNEW that it was a problem that I have rebelled and this caused my D&D. But... it's so true. He couldn't control me anymore and I just realized how fake his world is, so he had no more power over me....so the only way he could come on top of me again was to dump me.
Sep 16 - 6PM
CaminoReal
CaminoReal's picture

Too much work

Thank you Briseis for your post!!!! It really helped me today for two reasons: 1. He OFTEN told me that I was "too much work" or that I made him work too hard. 2. He LOVED to watch National Geographic documentaries! The one he loved the most was about predators---the leopard! Briseis- i was the weak one bc I was so, so stressed and was caught off guard. I did not pay attention to what was going on around me or the red flags surrounding how my Narc approached/seduced me. NEVER AGAIN!!!
Sep 16 - 4PM
Deidre40
Deidre40's picture

what happened to this poster?

what happened to this poster? I miss her. :=(
Sep 16 - 4PM (Reply to #53)
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

Long story and really not

Long story and really not appropriate to air on the forum. Breisis was quite smart. When I first came here I hated her. I hated her because she had me pegged. She called me out on all my Bullshit excuses. Im sure Goldie or Lisa would be happy to explain if you PM them. Bresis was so on the money it was scary.
Sep 16 - 8PM (Reply to #54)
Deidre40
Deidre40's picture

gettinbetter

yes!! that's what i liked. i met her last year when i was on narc #2...i wonder if she reads these forums still, and sees i just wrapped up with narc #3 (and the final one i might add!) she might be thinking...that dumb deidre...didn't she listen to anything i said?? miss you B, if you are reading. :=)
Sep 16 - 4PM
ally2375
ally2375's picture

Sunafterrain

Bumping again for Sunafterrain
Sep 16 - 5PM (Reply to #49)
Sunafterrain
Sunafterrain's picture

Ally

Thanks, it's my shot in the arm for the day :) And it's true too. He hated my strength. He also hated my intelligence. No wonder.
Sep 17 - 2AM (Reply to #51)
Anabelle
Anabelle's picture

and he hated

your knowledge your friends your family your dog your experience your network Maybe it's not hate. It's jealousy. No wonder
Sep 16 - 5PM (Reply to #50)
ally2375
ally2375's picture

Sunafterrain

If you are unfortunate enough to also be physically attractive, well, I'm afraid you were doomed from the beginning. ;) Cheers to holding out for someone who's not only worthy of your strength and intellect, but possesses both himself. Why settle for less?
May 6 - 10PM
Arwen
Arwen's picture

I am printing this and

I am printing this and putting it on my wall and in my wallet so I can look at it whenever I need to. As soon as I found out my narc's criminality, his bigotry and all that I loudly objected to, it was the beginning of the end. Thank you so much again!
May 6 - 10PM
Arwen
Arwen's picture

OMG Bravo!!!!!!

This is hands-down, the greatest post I have ever seen on this site. You just helped me more in that one post than I can possibly begin to tell you. I am GRATEFUL for your perfect post that came at a perfect time. Please keep them coming for me and for all of us. LOVE PG
May 6 - 8PM
ally2375
ally2375's picture

You were just too strong

Kevsmart, I'm bumping this up for you in particular, but I think it's empowering for all of us. Happy weekend, everyone! ~Ally
Jan 11 - 3PM
momoya
momoya's picture

I know this!

I know this is true for me. I know he knows that I was catching on, the lies were coming to light, he seemed truely scared. He knew I was strong, and he knew that I already sensed something was wrong with him....I love that I asked him if he only came into my life to hurt me? I mean, I was so RIGHT about that. He certainly didn't like where my questions were going...so he dissapeared, but not before really tryin to hurt me and turn it around like I had done some major wrong by just not trusting him fully. He was always very meek, you would never think he could hurt a fly, yet actually turned out to be very mean, and intentionally wanted to hurt me and "stick" it to me. To this day, his stance is that I am a woman "scorned" uh, yeah SCORNED by him and his awful behavior. He told the OW "I am not right in the head" but would have NEVER made that comment to me. So whatever worked for him..he used.

momoya

Jan 11 - 4PM (Reply to #44)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

It's so obvious when you

It's so obvious when you think about it!! They are truly limited, primitive creatures. They have a handful of highly polished manipulations and practiced routines. Pretty effective at reeling people in. But once they reel you in, and you have the hook in your mouth, and start to feed on you, they canNOT cope with you pulling the hook out of your mouth and saying WAIT A MINNIT, BUSTER!! They only know how to bait another hook. Or club you when you refuse to lay still.
Jan 11 - 3PM (Reply to #43)
shortway
shortway's picture

Same thing with mine..Mine

Same thing with mine..Mine ran like a coward..Blockedmy phone,my moms phone when I started handing it to him.he knew were it was going..Any REAL MAN sticks around when he does something wrong and will make it right,a real man will apologize..not run
Jan 11 - 1PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

I am thinking of ImStrong's

I am thinking of ImStrong's line "we are no longer in the jungle". That is such a perfect line . . . and yet, while we may have chased off the lions or made them give up hope of feeding off of us, there are always more lions :( As I've gone along in the last 3 plus years I have not ran directly into another lion. But I've had some porcupines and nasty little biting creatures and a few snakes happen to me. I've managed to either avoid them or beat them back with a big stick. I never thought of this until this moment, but all the energy I've poured into this subject, which is on my mind DAILY (as I am on this board daily, and my previous boards) has made me a hunter of Narcs. Now, I hunt THEM. Nope, I don't put a spear through their guts but I know where they live, what their habits are, kind of how they think and perceive, and can predicts pretty well what moves they are going to make. I joke I can see them coming a mile away and I sort of CAN, but the truth is I can only see them after interacting with them a bit. An example of "know thy Enemy" :D . Part of what we get out of this is to become Narc Hunters, which is a significant improvement over being their prey, lemme tell ya. I'm not on a mission to scour the earth of Narcs. I'm on a mission to show people who they are and how easy it is to beat them at their own game. BEFORE they sink their claws into you. Once they sink their teeth and claws in you (read: you two fall in "love") it's too late to be a Narc Hunter and you really are the water buffalo hopefully too big and difficult for the lion to take down. You still have to get rid of the Narc and go NC and heal your wounds. But after that . . . there are more Narcs and the like out there. What about them? Hide in your house? Wear layers of bubble wrap so you don't ever connect with ANYONE ever again? The best hunters are the people who've had nasty encounters with the enemy. The best soldiers are the ones who know their enemy and possibly even know them so well they almost like them. It's a use of our empathy no one of us thought we'd ever employ, that's for sure.
Jan 11 - 10AM
mystwoman
mystwoman's picture

Hear hear, Briseis! This is

Hear hear, Briseis! This is a fantastic post, and so true. It make me feel so much better reading this because I have often wondered what it was about me that was so weak that I got singled out. I've always been a very strong, independent person. Now, thinking about it this way, I know that I got away from the predator BECAUSE I'm strong. I'm proud to be too much work for the narc, and now I'm living to see another day! Like in a fight between a water buffalo and a lion, maybe xnh got kicked in the teeth a couple of times by my flailing hooves while I was thrashing to get away him. I can only hope that it really hurt. lol.

Jan 11 - 7AM
helldweller
helldweller's picture

boy, was I

a LOT of work LOL! And even though it was fun for him to be hit and punched and cried and screamed over, I finally messed up his little system when I stole his phone and called all of his women. I tell myself that even if they are pushovers and stayed with him, they will never trust him again. And when the day comes when they finally realize what he is, they'll know I told them so. He crosses the street to avoid me--that's how afraid he is of ME now. I like to remind myself that he picked the wrong girl when he picked me. He didn't know me, did he? LOL
Jan 11 - 1PM (Reply to #39)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

LOL Helldweller, you were

LOL Helldweller, you were indeed a helluva lot of work :D Which has a more sinister side . . . your exNarc is an extremely powerful predator who was willing to put up with your resistance to a degree where most Narcs would have run screaming from you :D That he still tries to give you the "I'm so sweet" look now and then is evidence that he is one of the worst of the worst. And you survived him. Somehow. Pretty amazing when you think about it.
Jan 11 - 9AM (Reply to #38)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Exactly Ladies!

"We are no longer in the jungle!" So true,IMStrong! I like "anti-narcissist," Narcizzednomore! He definitely picked the wrong student, Susan! and I love that he crosses the street to avoid you now, Helldweller!
Jan 11 - 7AM (Reply to #37)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Picking the wrong student

After I met the girlfriend, I remember telling the ex-Psych professor's colleagues (after he had run out, and she had to dash down the stairs to catch up with him) that he did NOT tell me he already had a girlfriend. The ex-P hasn't contacted me in 11 years. He's sooo afraid. I guess I've messed with his system when I've used the personal info he's given me when I've broken NC... to ridicule him. Yep, he really didn't know me. And it must FUN for him to be stuck with kids (knowing he hates kids) and having his parents live with him. Life got so much better when he D&D'd me? LOL.
Jan 11 - 4AM
ImStrong
ImStrong's picture

Good Job Ms. Brisies I hear

Good Job Ms. Brisies I hear your age and wisdom through your writing ..in your past life you must of been a Noble Leader ..equiped with words that educate.. One thing you said that stood out ..Was that the narc I believe finds dificulty in praising you or answering quickly..when we ask them what you love about me..because in all reality they cannot stand you and find you inferior to them..so the truth is more crippling and despising so he praise superiorily That is true..it isn't your exact wording..but I get it that all that counts.. These men are living trolls who pray on the flesh of the virgin..us we are virgins supply.. We have not been touch..so we are constantly having piece of our virgin skin pulled and eaten by these black trolls.. His true description of us is worse than our enimies description of us.. They hate us more than a enemy.. That is why they come in disguise as love.. The perfect Con Man Maybe in that juggle you speak about they will soon meet the Lion. The biggest of them all..The one they most fear and avoid.. Now this Lion may be in a form of Death..Pain...Aging..or Tragedy.. But they will meet that Lion.. I feel at peace and the vicious jungle doesn't haunt me anymore..im happy im amongst the humans NC made me take a step back and look at this in a different angle.. I went for questions needed to be answered..to some being answered..to now every single one being answered.. Never have I been so satisfied..So Full.. Great Post Ms Brisies.. We are No Longer In the Jungle..

"In the fiery pit lays a man with two faces.One is the face of a God and the other a face of the Devil.Beware He lurks your souls.Keep one hand on your heart and the other hand over your eyes. Let him walk pass you not into you.Ghost of love will possess

Jan 11 - 4AM (Reply to #35)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I don't know if they ever will meet the lion...

Because they lack empathy and feelings, and so they will feel victimized - But don't they always? Being a victim for them is a comfortable feeling because they get supply through those means. I really don't think they have the insight to know when they've encountered a lion. They are oblivious to everything. But it doesn't matter what they meet does it? In the grand scheme of things...
Jan 10 - 11PM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Brie...

This was so very powerful...and it HAS to go on the new site. Thank you for this gem... Hugs!
Jan 10 - 10PM
justicejones
justicejones's picture

Love this Briseis!

How completely and 100% accurate with the analogy! Thank you for sharing this...I believe one time you commented on something I posted a while back that was similar. Someone told me that I should be thankful that my exhusband must have thought I was too strong, so he went onto weaker "prey." It should be considered a compliment, instead of a catastrophe, right? Yes, indeed, I think so!
Jan 10 - 11PM (Reply to #28)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Amazing Post Briseis

Wow, my mouth is still on the floor, Briseis! I read this on our sister site a few minutes ago and I still have goosebumps! I just posted it on the blog pages. There are so many amazing analogies in here. I particularly like thinking of myself as the tough water buffalo he could not take down. It's true. He couldn't. He couldn't take me down nor could any of yours take you down. That's why you're here. All of us are here because "he or she" couldn't take us down. They tried, but could not succeed. We should be very proud of ourselves. With our strength and collective knowledge, we can help build awareness for others so they don't get taken down by these insidious predators. We've talked about this so many times before. They choose us for a reason. They choose us because we are strong, successful, intelligent and driven. They need someone to take care of them and are not going to choose a woman who can't provide. I don't like the term Codependent because we certainly are not that. Although I admire her work and just read half of her latest book "The New Codependent," I don't think Melodie Beattie's explanation of the "New Codepency" fits us either. I like to think of ourselves as Empaths, but ideally I would love to come up with our own term for ourselves. Anyone have any suggestions? Seriously, together I think we should come up with our own name and definition for ourselves. We seem to go back and forth on whether we are Empaths, Co-Dependents, Victims, none or all of the above. I'd love to come up with our own term to describe who we are. Thoughts?
Jan 11 - 9PM (Reply to #32)
anonymous
anonymous's picture

Our Own Name

How about "Humans"? We are human in our feelings, needs, wants, affections, etc. And they are not. ;-)
Jan 11 - 1AM (Reply to #31)
narcissizednomore
narcissizednomore's picture

How about a name like

How about a name like Anti-narcissist? Definition: One who cannot tolerate the behaviours of NPD.

narcissizednomore

Jan 10 - 11PM (Reply to #29)
justicejones
justicejones's picture

I like to think of us as

I like to think of us as Strong Empaths...hee hee. I never like being called a codependent. It wasn't what i could get out of the relationship for my self worth. It was about helping them, showing them the way...believing in them. Though really, now I know that there was nothing to believe in but a hologram of sorts. Isn't it amazing what Briseis came up with...amazing. This made me reflect on a time when my exhusband came knocking on my door wanting me to give him yet, another chance. He told me that I was #1; SO STRONG, smart, funny,upbeat, happy,that everyone that meets me wants to know me more and every guy that met me wanted to have me as their own. The last time he popped in after four years of being gone...he said, "you made it, you are doing well, I am impressed, I don't have to worry about you or our kids." Now these could all have been things to flatter me into giving him what he wanted...(which sometimes was true) after reading this, I would like to believe that deep down, he really thought those things about me. I should be proud that I am so strong and I am a survivor. We are all survivors, not victims but victors.
Jan 11 - 12AM (Reply to #30)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

JusticeJones

Yes, you are so right....Strong Empaths! You should be proud of yourself. You are a survivor, not a victim, but a victor, like you said! xoxo