Goodbye, Friends

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Nov 17 - 4PM
better off
better off's picture

Goodbye, Friends

Well, as some of you know, I have struggled with how much time to spend on the boards these days, and I do like to check in and let y'all know there is life on the other side... but I think I got my answer today...

I realize some people are so very sensitive about anything harsh said to them, yet feel they are just being frank with their own opinions. So I guess this will be called "crying about" being called a dumb, immoral pig who is insensitive to another human being I don't know, and that I am so fucked up, sad, and have no self-esteem that there couldn't possibly be any extenuating circumstances in mine or any case.

That's cool. Makes it easier, in a sense...

Blessings to my friends that are still recovering from their emotional rapes... you will survive, no matter how much you deserved it. ;-)

And to the rest of you, if it hadn't been her, it would have been someone else, and it will be someone else again and again and again. There are plenty of dumb immoral pigs in the sea... I guess my question to you would be, who the fuck stays with a serial cheating sleazebag like the narc you were fucking dumb enough to marry?

Asta!

Nov 19 - 11AM
TNR1
TNR1's picture

I was truly afraid of this....

When I first joined, I received a forum rules email that stated that we need to respect each other and realize that there are gfs, ex wives, wives, OW etc. on this board. As such, I knew not to go into a topic that would potentially hurt some forum members. For some reason, I don't see that anymore. I hate to see hurt feelings, I admit, after I read the initial post, I did question whether I should be here or not..but then I realized that all that would do is keep me from the people who have been instrumental in my recovery. I made a mistake, no two ways about it. But if I dwell on that mistake, then I am simply looking backwards and I am done with that. For all the women on this board...whatever role(s) you played in your Ns life, know that I am sending you love and understanding. You are not to blame!!! We all need to remember the very important title of Lisa's book. It's all about HIM. HUGS!!! P.S. Better off, I know you have left and I am so sorry to see you go. Please stay strong in your recovery and know that you are welcome back any time!!
Nov 19 - 8AM
fooled no longer
fooled no longer's picture

sending you love and hoping

sending you love and hoping youll stick around when you feel better about it. thanks for all your help. can we connect on FB?
Nov 18 - 10PM
Steph
Steph's picture

Ah better off..... I just

Ah better off..... I just read the posts that made you leave and I feel so sad:( I just want to say that I think alot of what was said in that thread was very judgemental...intentional or not. An "OW" does not have any more of a low self esteem than a GF or wife who puts up with verbal/emotional/physical abuse. Doesn't matter if you are the GF, wife, or OW. Manipulative men con the very best! Anyways, you have always been such a great source of strength and wisdom here. Members here are at a great loss without you. I wish you all the very best in life:) xoxo
Nov 18 - 10AM
jen79
jen79's picture

better off

I hope you read this. I hope that you still join the new board, there will be seperate sections, and I do think you can help mayn people there, maybe you want to write there from time to time especially for those who are about moving forward so you dont have to go to pain and hurt triggering posts. I truely believe that there are different people for different stages. YOu have moved forward already too far, so that people in the beginning of the process wont here you, there are completely somewhere else, but you can help people who reached acceptance by your great example. YOu helped me to get past things, that I carried along with me for so long, i will never forget that, how much you have helped me to get out of this pain. Hugs!!!
Nov 18 - 6AM
faithinthefuture
faithinthefuture's picture

HOLY SHIT!!!

Better off you can't leave sweetie!! I need you! WE need you! Just look at what you said....if it hadn't been her, it would've been someone else, and it will be someone else again and again and again. That is so true! And we all know that in our hearts. We need your input here!! I'm not sure what the hell is going on & why it had to get so out of control that it's making you after all the time you've been here want to leave. I truly hope to see you back.
Nov 18 - 6AM
jaycee
jaycee's picture

we've all said, not every ow is to blame

betteroff, we've all said not ever ow is to blame, most are very innocent victims, but your comment about who would be dumb enough to stay with a serial cheating narc was really mean spirited. i was dumb enough to stay for twenty four years, but i loved him and i wanted my family so i forgave him and forgave him and continued to smile and keep my family together, as i never even knew the term narcissist and what it really meant until i finally threw him out. and trust me, i know how dumb i am, but i would never hurt another human being intentionally, ever and the hurt my hN ow bestowed upon me and our children is pain i cant even describe in words. so please dont think im dumb, i think that enough of myself. Jaycee

Jaycee

Nov 18 - 6AM (Reply to #20)
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Dumb

Jaycee...sorry this was a very emotive issue that got raised, and I must admit I tried to run interference when I saw the way it was going. BUT, i got pretty stung by a lot that was posted here, even though I tried to ignore it because how emotive it was. You wrote a very lovely response n the other thread, but I must digress.... there are people here that have had very different experiences, that we never would have had if we were wiser. That being said, we all complain that the real world does not understand us. WELL what is it when we start to differentiate between who was the predator and who is the prey? Early on we are running on emotions, but we also must be aware of who else is here. I guess I get pissed when people take the high moral ground. Sorry lived with it for longer than I can remember & I know than this is not the issue here. I was going to post this to GHAPFM but she is early days. Kid you not, I was with better off when she pulled out. PS Better off, if you are reading this, though we did not always agree, that is why your opinion is so valuable....because we can offer different perspectives. Think you are awesome!!

Nevergoback

Nov 18 - 7AM (Reply to #21)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

dumb??Nancy

Nancy, I was not upset, I was actually defending the woman here who happened to be at one point the ow. I continued to say not every ow is evil or to blame whatsoever. I know there were people on one of the threads getting stressed, but not me. I even said, I know all the women here, and called all my friends, would never be evil and cruel, and even if they were ow, i love them the same as everyone else. I only felt insulted by betteroffs comment about who the fuck would be dumb enough to stay, because I was dumb enough to stay, and pointed that out. it wasnt very nice, but im a little confused by you assuming i had any part of stressing or becoming emotional about the issue, i just wrote what happened to me and gave huge support to all the women here, so im confused by your post. and those who got sucked in by the vampires, by all means, are not evil, my hN's just happens, as i said in the post, to be a very rare case of an evil human being, not because she was the ow.......Jaycee

Jaycee

Nov 18 - 9AM (Reply to #23)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

"I continued to say not

"I continued to say not EVERY ow is evil or to blame whatsoever." Jaycee, this seems to be the underlying issue with what is holding you up in your recovery honey. You are simply stuck on this OW. Regardless of your excuses or reasons for such, it is not healthy or conducive to your recovery. So I need to be very matter of fact on this issue as we have other new members that are reading this thread and it is vital that they understand. The OW is not to blame. Not your OW, not mine, not anyone involved with a narcissist. She did not make your N commit adultery or cheat on you. He would have done this regardless. Your situation with the N and OW is not different, unique or a special circumstance. He is a narc and cheating is a major characteristic of a narcissist. Sexual deviance is part of the disorder and has nothing to do with OWs. He is the master manipulator that craves the variety of slews of women to fill his sexual desires. He is the attention seeker. He is the one that feels his uniqueness entitles him to have his pick of the litter and acts upon it. Underlying, we still live in denial and want to defend the behavior of the narc because we are unwilling to accept the reality that he is a bad person and toxic to our psyche. We don't want to believe that this was the man we were with of 24 years. That he could be capable of such atrocities. So we look for someone else OR something else to blame. No matter how many FACTS lay on the table pointing to his illness, we choose to make excuses, turn a blind eye and live in the dark. I can assure you that once you have hit your bottom and and have an awaking into the realization that he IS this person, he IS responsible for this behavior and he is all of what this disorder encompasses; hence disordered, you will be singing a different tune with the OW. How do you know when this happens? The day you drop your thoughts and obsessions about the OW and focus on the reality of the illness itself. Until this day, you wallow in the dark world of pain, anger, obsession and obtrusive thoughts. No one can force you to see this reality. When you have hit your bottom, it will naturally happen. You will suddenly have 20/20 vision and clarity will be in its purest state. As for the moral issue with OWs. Thats talking politics and religion. Everyone has their personal convictions. If anyone on this forum chooses to engage in those types of topics, I will have to ask them to take it elsewhere. This is not the venue for such discussion. xoxo Betty only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Nov 19 - 8AM (Reply to #39)
fooled no longer
fooled no longer's picture

i complete agree with Betty

i complete agree with Betty and have posted the same here about these people who slag off the other women by calling them sluts "She is no worse or better shes just next in line" . what goes aroubd comes around Stop calling other victims whores or sluts STOP!!!!!
Nov 18 - 10PM (Reply to #37)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

betty

Betty Im a little confused by your post directed toward me, first of all, I chimed in after reading a few other posts, but made sure I continued to say, not all ow are vicious and cruel, and I genuinely believe most are victims, i also stated that no one here on the board, would be considered anything but my friend, regardless of their status, wife, gf, ow, because I know in my heart everyone here is a good person looking for help. So I am stunned by you specifically choosing me to post to, when this is not my post, you need to go back to the original post of "should we blame the ow" and read exactly word for word what I said, and no one was upset with me whatsover, so please reread what I wrote there. as for the post "good bye friends" I think she had an issue with two other posts on the ow blame one, one entitled, fault, and the other was probably taken out of context, it was I think this is a very good Tue, 11/16/2010 - 21:25 — Briseis I think this is a very good question. To deliberately flirt with a person in a relationship is a sleazy thing to do. So she's a sleaze. Blame her for that. none of which had anything to do with me. as for my post here on goodbye friends, i explained no one, not any of the post I read, seemed to be getting personal with her, yet, she got very personal with her comment about who would be dumb enough to stay with a serial cheater, etc...now that was personal, not directed toward me, but i am someone who was dumb enough to stay. So if you feel I brought about this, you need to ask her why she is leaving, and please, please reread my comments on both posts, neither were personal toward anyone, and neither author responded to me. If you reread what I wrote, you will see how kind i was about ow, just not the one I have had to deal with, and yes, i beg to differ she is rare, ive known many women who have had affairs who would never behave in such a cruel horrid way to someone else's wife. so please reread what i wrote in both posts and then if you still feel im engaging in a forum you disagree with, then let me know to take myself elsewhere. funny thing is, i was only adding comment to others posts, but it suddenly became about me, it seems that people are only reading bits and pieces and not entirety of posted comments. just let me know, but you should reread them and the others who wrote before i did, and then let me know if you would like me to take myself elsewhere.......... Jaycee

Jaycee

Nov 19 - 2PM (Reply to #38)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Jaycee, You are not to

Jaycee, You are not to blame for the thread about the OW. What I am pointing out to you is how you reference the OW. You say not ALL OWs are to blame. Not ALL? Does this mean that some are? Possibly yours? This is my point honey. Its the underlying thinking that somehow your situation is different. Its dangerous to go there. If I have mis read this please let me know. OWs are not to blame for a narcissist behavior or the final outcome of your broken relationship. None are to blame, even yours. They can not be held accountable for his illness and behavior. Just as you are not to blame for his illness and behavior. Our moral convictions on infidelity is a very different topic and not what we discuss or what this forum is about. So for that purpose we refrain from posting such. I have witnessed your references to the "Whore" in many of your posts. Clearly your convictions ring loud to the group. This is perfectly OK to have these convictions but they should be discussed in a different forum and venue that addresses this issue. This is not a personal attack. I am making an attempt to make you see that these thoughts are destructive for you. And also this is an explanation as to how we run business on All About Him. This is why we have moderators so we can keep the focus on the subject matter. When we get off course it requires intervention. But it in know way is solely directed at you alone. This stands true for any member that wants to talk about moral subject matter in any form. Whether it be moral convictions on infidelity, sexual preference, politics, religion, race etc.. This is simply not the venue for these topics and I am saying this to the group as a whole. I hope this makes more sense now. If i did not read your post correctly please let me know and i will address this. xoxo only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Nov 18 - 8PM (Reply to #26)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

"As for the moral issue with

"As for the moral issue with OWs. Thats talking politics and religion. Everyone has their personal convictions. If anyone on this forum chooses to engage in those types of topics, I will have to ask them to take it elsewhere." Politics and religion, in a forum like this one, can be toxic and destructive :( I agree wholeheartedly. I saw a very long standing forum fall apart over a political video posted by the board owner during the 2008 presidential elections in the States. Lord Almighty. This was a tight community ten years old and thriving, and it fell into warring factions and feelings and people got SO hurt and offended. At the same time, we are a mix of many different belief systems which interact with the reason we are all HERE on the Vain Forum. I find that the "moral issue" of how NPD intersects our lives as being the one "moral issue" that is relevant to this community. The "moral issues" of truth, honesty, personal integrity, ethical behavior, interpersonal respect, compassion and understanding -- these are, to me, very relevant moral issues for us. And they may widely differ in their expression in each of our lives. Nevertheless, they are objective signposts that people across the globe can relate to, they transcend religion and politics. They are not exclusive property of any religion or ethical system. They just ARE, because they are deeply ingrained potentials in the human psyche. Narcs violate these natural urges in the worst way, and IMHO, that is immoral. In my own head, I use the word "immoral" to describe a breach with my own dignity and integrity as a person. I said to Michelle on another post that we all use the same WORDS but have different internal meanings when we use them. It's more like the language we use has the exact same words but the meanings beneath the words could be very different between two people. It sure can cause some terrific misunderstandings :( . I just hope we can all feel enough trust with one another to TALK through an issue, because we probably on more common ground than originally thought :) Otherwise we are just banging into each other and saying OW!!! quit stepping on me!!! and the other person is saying I didn't step on you, I just put my foot down and your hand was where I put my foot! and so on :P
Nov 18 - 8PM (Reply to #27)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Semantics

Otherwise we are just banging into each other and saying OW!!! quit stepping on me!!! and the other person is saying I didn't step on you, I just put my foot down and your hand was where I put my foot! and so on :P Which brings me to an experience I had today with my 13 year old who proceeded to tell me his justification for "Hacking" which resulted in my attempt to take his computer from him... I called his Dad to talk to him - as for some reason, mom knows nothing...he proceeded to raise his voice. His dad was on speakerphone and told him not to disrespect me - he then argued, I raised my voice, I wasn't yelling! Grrrr...LOL
Nov 18 - 9PM (Reply to #28)
better off
better off's picture

Decided to take a break for the rest of the month

But I have several things to say about this...I was asked by someone to come here and read the posts on this thread, so of course I have to comment now. IN THE FIRST PLACE... For God's sake, I do not have different moral convictions than anyone else. This is a gigantic misstatement that keeps appearing here that this is about OW or wives having DIFFERENT moral convictions. This idiotic "debate" about the OW is missing the point. I don't think anyone DOES have different moral convictions. MY moral convictions are still the same as they were before the frigging narc, that cheating is wrong. Duh. Is there anyone who has said differently? The married women on the board (or singles who ended up with a married narc) ARE ashamed of what happened, we ALL have said that we would never do this, etc...THEY pursued US. I am not immoral, I am human. I made a mistake. FFS, who has said it wasn't a mistake?? Why the F would anyone even be ON the forum is they didn't KNOW it was a mistake? One that is underscored all the more, simply because I AM moral and I am sickened to the core that I let this guy get me to do things I thought I wasn't capable of. And as I've said before, WHERE is that person supposed to turn? Who can WE tell? No one. Even your friends and family will judge you for it. It's like everyone's forgotten we are talking about narcissistic, con artist, manipulating psychopaths... the kind of person who can get the warden's wife to bust him out of jail! Instead, what I heard was that SOME people were intent on making clear that it wasn't "their practice" to be with someone already in a relationship. As if for the rest of us, it is. As if it's my "practice" to get involved that way, like it's something I just do, like meditating, or cake decorating, or tennis. (rolling eyes) Jesus Christ, how about giving people WHO COME TO THIS FORUM ABOUT NARCISSISTIC PSYCHOPATHS the BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT that they were manipulated, brainwashed and tricked by the best in the business, just like every other victim. That's all I am talking about, the benefit of the doubt. If you're someone reading this who cannot do that, then fine. But keep your freaking ASSUMPTIONS to yourself. Because victims who have worked up the courage to out themselves and come here for help do not need someone else's FALSE assumptions about them. And who is ANYONE to decide after the person in question has groveled and given their circumstances to say, oh... well in your case you were a victim, so don't feel bad. Thanks for nothing, you aren't the judge of me. And even some of the people who think they are DEFENDING people like me, you are still making ASSUMPTIONS. And for Pete's sake, again... I am a NORMAL person who got hoodwinked by a con artist, I am not some loser who thinks I'm so worthless I am had to debase myself with a married man. WTF is that??? AN ASSUMPTION that is not true. Could it be true for SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE? Maybe.. but condescending hypotheticals like that only hurt the regular people who know they are not true, but are already fighting an uphill battle trying to recover. And lastly, take it to some other thread about this stuff about how everyone is just hurting, and being offended BY OFFENSIVE REMARKS is just saying, ow, your pain hurts me because of my pain. PLEASE DO NOT presume to tell me why I feel the way I do. Okay? DO NOT step between me and someone else and tell me why they said it, or why I took it the way I did. I am NOT a child. I understand my own feelings, and I also am clear on my own perceptions. Where offense is given, I am going to say so. I will not be silenced in the name of peace. If you guys want to psychoanalyze me and everyone who commented, look at yourself too, and ask yourself why this conflict makes it so important for you to make peace, make peace, make peace, and make excuses for what other people say or do, including me, just to smooth it over. The world is not going to crack in half over hurt feelings. But one thing I will NOT DO anymore, anywhere, is PRETEND things aren't what they are. Sorry, but some people were out of line. I'm sure there are those who think that *I* am. But I KNOW when I'm getting dissed, even if people want to cop out with it's not "personal." ha. I am not stupid. I will always love Meg Ryan saying that in You've Got Mail. That being said, I've decided I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks anyway. I've been here long enough that people know who I am and what I'm like. If you don't like me, fine. If you do, great. My biggest concern is what people tell me in private, and this so-called "discussion" that happened hurt a LOT Of people who will never post it, and will never tell you how hateful it felt to them. And that, I'm sure is the tip of the iceberg. So, for those people, if your feelings are hurt, no, you do NOT need to take a long look at yourself. Your feelings don't mean something is wrong with you. If your feelings are hurt, then I know how you feel, and someone does care, even if I don't know your name. Obviously I am still angry over this whole debacle, but I felt like I still needed to represent MY FEELINGS for what they are. I've decided to go out of town and get away from all of this for a while, and I need a break from reminders of what this no-good narc has branded me with forever.
Nov 19 - 1AM (Reply to #32)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

It's a struggle for me to

It's a struggle for me to respond to you without getting caught up in the anger you seem to be feeling. I am not going to walk on eggshells in my position as a moderator and I would hope to God the rest of the membership feels safe enough to avoid walking on them, too. I will say that you appear to making as MANY assumptions as you accuse others of making about you. I do not believe the OW thread was written with YOU in mind, or anyone HERE. Maybe I just haven't been on the board long enough to understand the long term dynamics going on under the surface? I thought we were helping a NEW member understand some basic principles of cause and effect. NO, the OW is not the problem, it's your NARC, and she's a victim of him just like you. That's what I saw and read. I admit I am clueless about how this whole thing blew up. I am shocked at the level of anger this brought forth. I read the same words everyone else read, and understand better, perhaps. Is this something that has happened before? An OW bashfest? That is sad. I see an elephant in the frontroom here. That it is "OK" for you, Betteroff, to mock members here in your anger. I realize you were PISSED off and hurt. But you have to admit the last few sentences in your original post were mocking. I totally forgive you (whether you want to be forgiven or not). But I wasn't the only one hurt by those words, either. All of the newbies and newer members who haven't been by your side from the beginning? Those kind of words HURT and have even LESS place on this board than a ridiculous debate on the sins of the OW. You are tired of being silenced? Me too, girlfriend. I respect you and LOVE your posts. But I didn't like that one. I care about what you are feeling, but I'm not going to allow it to compromise my role here. I'm going to advocate for all of us who felt shamed and pushed away by your angry words. I'm not going to sit here and "make peace" when there is nothing peaceful about it. And now I'm done, and am not going to engage in a debate about the rightness or wrongness of MY feelings with anyone. As yours are perfectly OK, so are mine. I hope you come back as sassy and frank and blunt and outrageously TRUE as ever, Betteroff.
Nov 19 - 2PM (Reply to #33)
better off
better off's picture

Briseis, for you

It's a struggle for me to respond to you without getting caught up in the anger you seem to be feeling. I am not going to walk on eggshells in my position as a moderator and I would hope to God the rest of the membership feels safe enough to avoid walking on them, too. Well, now we’re finally getting somewhere! Let’s address what needs addressing! I don’t think you should walk on eggshells, and my intent was actually NOT to dictate what you can or can’t say, although I guess it sure sounded like it. But I felt like I had one side misrepresenting me, or people like me, in a negative way, and another side misrepresenting me in a supposedly positive way, but it was still a misrepresentation. That is probably the single most frustrating thing I can think of… and now I can see that you feel the same way, so I want to work on clearing it up! I will say that you appear to making as MANY assumptions as you accuse others of making about you. I do not believe the OW thread was written with YOU in mind, or anyone HERE. Maybe I just haven't been on the board long enough to understand the long term dynamics going on under the surface? I thought we were helping a NEW member understand some basic principles of cause and effect. NO, the OW is not the problem, it's your NARC, and she's a victim of him just like you. That's what I saw and read. I admit I am clueless about how this whole thing blew up. I am shocked at the level of anger this brought forth. I read the same words everyone else read, and understand better, perhaps. Is this something that has happened before? An OW bashfest? That is sad. I would appreciate it if you would contact me off the board… betty already has the okay to give my email address. There are some things I would prefer to discuss privately. But for this discussion, I can tell you that every single person who has spoken to me on or off the board who is in the OW category also read the same words you read, and they all felt the same way I did about it. Are we ALL confused? Or are those feelings perhaps legitimate? You mentioned feeling safe on the board, and I have already had two people tell me they will probably never post again. I am not going to start rehashing every statement made as it will keep it going… but, I’m sorry. Categoric statements were made. Normal people WILL apply such statements to themselves, especially when the speaker becomes more and more adamant that yes… “a woman who XYZ…” When someone says “a woman who knows he’s in a relationship…” means a woman who knows. Period. It doesn’t mean some women, or that woman, or imaginary women, or women not present… the majority of comments were even clarified as A woman. Am I a woman? I think so. Then after people were crying foul, it was, oh, well not you. There are a few stories that are different. It’s like when my husband says things like how stupid women are… and I get mad, and he says well obviously I didn’t mean you. Well, no, it’s not obvious. Then it was repeatedly added, “I would never do that.” I mean, come on, it defies common sense to think that doesn’t have an affect on anyone who did. I see an elephant in the frontroom here. That it is "OK" for you, Betteroff, to mock members here in your anger. I realize you were PISSED off and hurt. But you have to admit the last few sentences in your original post were mocking. GOOD, then say that to me. I’m glad you did. Because THIS is not a patronizing comment to tell me that, it’s direct. And I want to explain why I said that, and apologize for being hurtful, when the goal was not shame but to make a gigantic point. What seems like hypocrisy was instead meant for effect, to point out what *I* felt was hypocrisy. It crossed a line. And I admit I feel ambivalent about it even now. Because while I don’t want to hurt people’s feelings, the POINT is that it’s a two-way street, is it not? If OW are so dumb to fall for a narc in a relationship, then why isn’t the wife or gf dumb for keeping a cheater (or liar, thief, meth dealer, etc)? It’s two sides of the same narc coin. How many lies did you believe or ignore? Does that make you dumb? No. I used a harsh tactic to say that you can’t have it both ways. Either we are all dumb, or none of us are. I vote for none of us. Obviously that isn’t how it would be read by a lot of people. So it was a poor choice. I totally forgive you (whether you want to be forgiven or not). But I wasn't the only one hurt by those words, either. All of the newbies and newer members who haven't been by your side from the beginning? Those kind of words HURT and have even LESS place on this board than a ridiculous debate on the sins of the OW. I see this as more of the same… the kind of words that would hurt someone who stayed with a narc have even LESS place than the words that hurt the OW? Hmm. Disagree. This illustrates some of my earlier comments… talking about the sins of the OW was hurtful, but it’s LESS hurtful than hurting someone who’s not an OW. It feels we will always be second class because of our "sins." You are tired of being silenced? Me too, girlfriend. I respect you and LOVE your posts. But I didn't like that one. I’m glad you said so then. Because I CAN take it. I can take someone saying I don’t like what you said, and here’s why and we can talk about it… I much prefer that to being placed in a box or category or caricature that is defined by other people, which is how I felt. And I respect you and love reading your posts as well. I care about what you are feeling, but I'm not going to allow it to compromise my role here. I'm going to advocate for all of us who felt shamed and pushed away by your angry words. I'm not going to sit here and "make peace" when there is nothing peaceful about it. Well, my angry words were advocating for all of us who felt shamed and pushed away by other comments. And I don’t disagree with the idea of making peace, it was the manner that bothered me. It felt to me like the kind you grow up with in abusive or alcoholic homes, where everyone’s told everything is fine and nobody meant it, and let’s just all get along, and nothing really got resolved, it just got pushed down. That’s just my opinion obviously, but that’s what I meant by that idea. Does that make sense? In terms of where I was coming from with that? And now I'm done, and am not going to engage in a debate about the rightness or wrongness of MY feelings with anyone. As yours are perfectly OK, so are mine. I hope you come back as sassy and frank and blunt and outrageously TRUE as ever, Betteroff. The exN (who is not American) once asked me if sassy meant bitch. LOL. Maybe a bitch with style. ;-P I really am going out of town now… so everyone can relax.
Nov 19 - 8PM (Reply to #36)
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

betteroff

I have asked Betty for your email, and i would very much like to talk to you off the board. My memory is terrible these days but it seems to me that we started here together and have always been on the same page. I hope to talk to you soon. almostlydia

almostlydia

Nov 19 - 3PM (Reply to #35)
outoftheblue
outoftheblue's picture

Better off

You are awesome, I haven't been on in a while and obviously things blew up here. I'm confused how. Just wanted to let you know I've always appreciated your insight and helpful comments. Once you apologized to me for saying something that i didnt find even remotely upsetting, you obviously are quite empathetic and caring. Im sorry you are going through this. Hope you enjoy your weekend away. Xo
Nov 19 - 3PM (Reply to #34)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

A bitch with style :D

Oh and you are :) I'd like to try that one on for myself, do you mind? :D I like to think of myself as "the iron fist in a velvet glove". I can't "do" sassy like you can, and pull it off with such alacrity, so I'll leave that to a more talented person such as yourself :D . I would be very glad to correspond to you via email. I'll get it from Betty. I would love to get to know you better anyway, it's about damn time. Thank you for responding to me directly. You have helped me understand a lot more about the dynamic underlying the pain. I'll say one thing about that. I love everyone here to the (wo)man. And I care what everything thinks and feels, to the one. I feel a sense of responsibility to the group because of my position as moderator, and even more so, as a SURVIVOR who was helped to survive and must give back to keep what I got so freely from other survivors. Hooooooooowever!!! You could ASS-U-ME literally ANYTHING about me, good or bad, and I . . . don't care. It's on YOU (the generic you), not me. Sure, I will speak up about the assumptions made, but I will not take it personally because it is NOT personal. I have the key to the door to let stuff in. I've done a pretty good job, inside myself, to stuff the cracks with rags so only once in a while, "stuff" gets in and I suddenly realize I have a live tiger in my inner sanctum . . . but not so much as my healing goes on. It's no "insult" to me, the assumptions that may be made about me. If they are wrong, they are made in ignorance. Not my problem. This is an important kind of boundary to make for yourself. To disallow "stuff" to get under your skin and ruin your serenity. This is a "further out in Recovery Land" sort of skill. As NC goes on, and healing/therapy/medication/self work goes on, the boundary comes up. Your style, Betteroff, is such that I can see where you were trying to make a "point" rather than a slap down. But I am getting to know you. There are a ton of new members and super sensitive types that I feel compelled to advocate for. People who are PRESENTLY beating the shit out of themselves along the lines of "your point", and aren't in a psychological space to take a step back and see your words more objectively. Does that make sense? One of my "old" (LOL) mentors from my first forum liked to say we should avoid posting when emotions are running so high. Let them simmer down, a bit. With a board full of empaths like we have here, we have extra special "spidey hearing" and for myself, the anger was spurting from your post(s) like arterial blood. I am 99% positive I'm not projecting :D . We've had to spend years in helpless bondage to raging Narcs. So it seems right to be more sensitive to the newer or new-ish members who haven't grown their hard shell back yet. Still and all (speaking to everyone here) . . . there will be episodes like this and as a community, it is our responsibility to either adapt ourselves to weather them for the sake of the overall good this community brings, or decide it's all too much and go find more suitable community that fits in with one's personal integrity better. That's a long Briseis-speak way of saying "take what you like and leave the rest".
Nov 18 - 10PM (Reply to #31)
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

Amen, betteroff. I would

Amen, betteroff. I would say more but I think you covered it all. This is why I would hate to see you leave. There is strength in numbers. And numbers are necessary to keep sanity amongst the ridiculous. I hear what you are saying and I understand it completely because it is true. Have a nice break. I just hope you realize that you have many like minded friends here that appreciate the back up. sorry I was not there to back you up on this thread because when I saw the title I thought it was more diversion of the reality to bother with reading. 'Should we hate the OW' geesh, when do we learn to stop making excuses? I was an OW and anybody on this board with a somatic N was one too one way or another whether they want to believe it or not. And I wait every other day to get some reprimand for saying it like it is. almostlydia

almostlydia

Nov 18 - 10PM (Reply to #30)
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

yes. I must say the Narc

yes. I must say the Narc made me do things I would never have done. I am married and I am ashamed of my behavior but he preyed on some big emotional issues with me. I have never posted my story. Quite honestly I am ashamed of it and it makes me cry. I sometimes wish I had never said I was married on the board eventhough no one says anything I feel like people think less of me. Im sure that is all in my mind. I finally began posting on the board because I felt so alone with all of these secrets. Its a terrible bondage and he capitalized on that too to get control of my mind and I must say he has done a good job. I have been in so much internal turmoil that it is manifesting itself all over my body. All I can do is try to get over the hurt that man has caused and try to make amends for my behavior but I dont think Ill every truly forgive myself for it. I hope you have a nice trip and enjoy some time away. Im still waiting for you to tell me my psychic cord thing is Fooey!
Nov 18 - 10PM (Reply to #29)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Betteroff

That being said, I've decided I don't give a flying fuck what anyone thinks anyway. I've been here long enough that people know who I am and what I'm like. If you don't like me, fine. If you do, great. That resonates with me so clearly tonight, and I am glad you came back to speak your mind. I wish you peace and strength on your trip, and I hope you do come back. This process is a bitch and I am sorry that you are feeling distress, and if I've ever offended you. I still hold the conviction that somtimes people shoot off the hip without thinking - but this too can be a learning experience and it has caused me to do some self reflecting of my own today. Be well.
Nov 18 - 6PM (Reply to #25)
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

Amen, Betty. "Underlying, we

Amen, Betty. "Underlying, we still live in denial and want to defend the behavior of the narc because we are unwilling to accept the reality that he is a bad person and toxic to our psyche. We don't want to believe that this was the man we were with of 24 years. That he could be capable of such atrocities. So we look for someone else OR something else to blame." There is no one else to blame except the N. He makes it all possible. almostlydia

almostlydia

Nov 18 - 9AM (Reply to #24)
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

yes Betty

I must say in my situation at first I was hesitant to say too much for fear that I would be judged as I am married. I know what I did was wrong but it happened. It just did. I cant change it. I just have to move on from it. I have been the OW, the victim, "the committed relationship" I have been all of those with the same narc. The blame lies with the Narc. The girl he left me for round one, I wish I could tell her I dont hate her anymore.
Nov 18 - 8AM (Reply to #22)
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Not my point...I wast trying

Not my point...I wast trying to protect your position but at the same time trying to defend my own. You did not do anything wrong, but the way better off read it was that she was a sleazy immoral piece of shit. Coming from a similar position I do understand how she might feel. I wanted to withdraw for the same reasons, but I decided to ride it out. It is an emotive issue, and we more than anybody, should be able to handle it. NO jaycee...you did nothing wrong in this incident!!

Nevergoback

Nov 18 - 6AM (Reply to #19)
desprathousewife
desprathousewife's picture

Oh Jaycee

You are in no way DUMB! You are a wonderful, caring, compassionate, TRUSTING human being. If that is the case then all of us on here are DUMB to one extent or another. Do you honestly believe that a narc would want someone who was DUMB? No way hosey, what sort of challenge would that be for them. Quite the opposite, they want our wonderful traits to feed from and get a huge kick out of trying to put one over on us to feed their sense of power and superiority. We were and are not dumb, we were maybe a little guilable and way too trusting and never realsised there could be such evil people in this world :(
Nov 18 - 5AM
Godhasaplanforme
Godhasaplanforme's picture

Im so sorry for even

Im so sorry for even starting such a useless debate, deep in my heart I know its the narc to blame or myself for choosing him knowing hes a bastard. The other girl/OW is not at fault. I didnt even know her and she owes me nothing. She shouldnt even be in the equation. I'm sorry the thread ended in such a weird way. We're not judging anyone.
Nov 18 - 9AM (Reply to #17)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Do not feel bad for the

Do not feel bad for the topic honey. This is what happens sometimes when you are on a forum with sensitive subject matter such as ours. This topic could have been about any other subject and taken off in this direction. You are not to blame in anyway. :) Just understand that emotions do run high at times. We have all been through a horrific ordeal. The details may be a little different but our overall experiences are identical and this is why we come together for support. Personally I think it is a topic that needs addressed. However with that said, I also think that our personal moral convictions should be put aside and saved for a forum that can better address this. But you did not cause this to happen and are not responsible for the outcome of this thread in anyway. Luv Betty only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Nov 18 - 5AM (Reply to #16)
desprathousewife
desprathousewife's picture

I'm glad I was too busy off

I'm glad I was too busy off sword fighting narc psychic chords to notice the post in question. Wish you wouldn't go Better Off. When I first found this site your posts were always my favourites. If you do leave then I want to thank you for your wonderful strong, no nonsense advise to others. You gave me great perspective and helped me in more ways than you will ever know. I will always be very greatful to you for helping ME to be 'BETTER OFF' :) xx