Is anyone else in the ANGER stage

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 23 - 10AM
shortway
shortway's picture

Is anyone else in the ANGER stage

I'm angry.I am at the anger stage.
The mornings are hard..I wake up angry..Does anyone wake up angry????I wake up stewing..Like a lion saying GRRRRRR..I guess it's a stark realization of my reality that I face when my eyes initially open to this garbage..
I am trying to be calm..I have a job interview next week and I'm going out with a friend and some of her boyfriends friends tonight...
I am worried it is going to affect my health..That my body needs a rest from all these emotions I have felt for the past 2mths since walking in on my ex with OW...I have been literally arguing with my ex N for 2mths everyday straight..I need to detox from my anger..:(

Oct 24 - 9AM
shortway
shortway's picture

I read this on another

I read this on another post..and it resonated with me..I no longer see him or feel him or pine after him..I seee a dark place and i'm not entering Your NC has been so successful that you now see this man for what he really is. At least no longer pine for the false demi-god as he had once installed himself into your life.
Oct 24 - 11AM (Reply to #56)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

I remember beginning to see

I remember beginning to see exN for what he really was . . . suddenly, it was like he changed right before my eyes. I realized he was a stranger to me, and I to him, and had been all along. It was like seeing a dark place and not wanting to go there. All I ever got was pain when I did :( . When I realized what he was (a very disturbed person with NPD) it took all his "power" away. Well, most of it. Three years later, I remember the trauma rather than FEEL it every day. Now that is making him powerless :)
Oct 24 - 9AM
shortway
shortway's picture

Thank you guys....Well I

Thank you guys....Well I couldn't necessarily not face his apartment complex because we sat in the outside area..I only had one beer..I never drink so thst was enough..I was lucky to have good company...my friend's boyfriend is very very funny so he had me laughing all night..I told my friend the story..Her facial expressions just said enough..she said"wait,he is with the girl now??????""..so I took the back way home(getting a little lost) instead of having to take the highway to the exit that would leave me right in front of the apartments..There was a few moments I thought I could actually go there..I also had to scope the bar out because all of a sudden he goes there with the OW..Belive me I wouldnt have picked this place..But my friend and her boyfriend had dinner there.. It was a darker night than I thought..it was angry,it was a very dark feeling..A dark place..I tried to stay out of that place while I was there.. I think I am getting slightly past the anger today into a dark phase..Not that I am feeling "dark" but that it has a very dark element to it when I think of him..I am finally seeing him for his true colors..and its a dark place
Oct 24 - 8AM
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Trauma Recovery

Anger is a stage in the recovery from trauma. Nightmares about the abuser are also common in post-traumatic stress disorder. Trauma means, in essence, that the victim has lost control over her life. You lost control over your life, your relationship, over all you believed to be true, when you discovered N with another woman. In sending e-mails & engaging N, in a sense, you are trying to regain control. Trying to get him to understand & take some responsibility for having hurt you. This he will never do. Anger & obsessive/intrusive thoughts are all part of trauma recovery. I left my N some 18 months ago. Finally divorced and absolutely NC for some 6 months now. On one hand I feel much better. More in control of myself & my existence. But, still, sometimes I am ENRAGED when I think about the emotional rape, the erosion of my identity, & the robbery of my money! Only time will dull the sting of the wound. The scar will remain. Try not to pick at the scab too much by enticing him into a dialogue. You may have some satisfaction in present venting, feel like you are in control in the moment, but really you are just prolonging the agony. Do what you need to do. Understand why you are doing it. But, there is no quick cure for the rage which a victim of pathological abuse suffers.
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #53)
darkspark
darkspark's picture

Excellent

Very well said, Agnesmurphy17
Oct 24 - 5AM
tica
tica's picture

shortway

How was your nite out? Kudos to you for getting out and proving to yourself that you can do this..there is so much great advice here, I had to go back and reread all the reponses not just for you but for ME as well!! I go through a potluck of emotions everyday..but mainly now, I've started a new job and decided to focus all the tough emotions on getting clarity and getting on my A game..it's about ME now..no more will I allow anyone to do this to me again!!! Getting mad is ok...just put that anger into something for YOU!! And as I do 500 jumps/day...or go out and run...bang out some keys...lift weights..push out another 20 push ups...I get mad!!! but guess who benefits? ME..I'm getting in the best shape of my life over this...something to think about..stay on board..we can all get through this...don't throw in the towel, that only benefits the N..good luck on your interview...get mad...smile, be positive...and rock it!
Oct 23 - 7PM
shortway
shortway's picture

I;m sorry I am just very

I;m sorry I am just very vulnerable today..I really don't want to retrace my steps to the scene of the crime where I walked in on the ex-N..I can still hear the OW laughing at me in my nightmares..Maybe we should let the group know to be a little more gentle when we are more vulnerable...because I just cannot handle being told ou did this wrong,he will love it etc....right now..Just can't..I already am envisioning myself ringing his bell and just smacking him...so i need to keep my cool
Oct 24 - 12AM (Reply to #50)
Disillusionedx2
Disillusionedx2's picture

sw

Is it midnight where you are? A start to a new day, we have made it through another day, yay, I hope that you have a good one, everyone else too, best wishes!

stay~strong

Oct 23 - 8PM (Reply to #49)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

Shortway

Listen to your gut, honey. It's OK and a good thing to do to say "WHOA! this is getting too heavy for me :( ". It is a healthy boundary and I applaud you for setting it. It is taking care of yourself. Sometimes recovering from these relationships brings up heavy stuff. It's OK to back off, as you get stronger with NC this stuff won't be so overwhelming. We make mistakes all the time, every day if you are anything like me. It's about forgiving yourself a lot more. That's another backlash from having a Narc in your life, being abused for just being human, you know? ((((shortway))))
Oct 23 - 8PM (Reply to #42)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

We are here to love and

We are here to love and support you during this time shortway. I found that a thawed chicken or turkey is great. One day when I got really angry at the xN and I was making Sunday dinner, I went to town on that turkey. Slapped the living sh*t out of it. It was great because it was as close of a feeling of slapping human skin as I could get. The slaps were loud and it felt like his nasty face. In the end and after 3 rum and cokes, i threw it in the garbage. But I will tell you that it is far better than punching a pillow or yourself. Food for thought. :) Hang in there, this to shall pass.. luv you. only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #48)
faithinthefuture
faithinthefuture's picture

Betty

LMAO! As close of a feeling of slapping human skin as I could get! I am going to the grocery store and buying a turkey! Need to get this out of my system before thanksgiving or my family will really think I've went over the edge if I start slapping the family dinner! And I know when I see that turkey that day I'm going to get the giggles and think of you Betty! And I will give thanks to you!
Oct 23 - 9PM (Reply to #43)
Briseis
Briseis's picture

Betty

I can totally see you smacking that raw turkey :D That's quite an image, I needed that tonight :D Besides, what a great idea for the rest of us. Slappin' the Turkey. Sounds kind of perverted but I'll bet it did the trick :)
Oct 24 - 10AM (Reply to #47)
ClusterF
ClusterF's picture

SLAPPIN' THE TURKEY!!!

Oh my god. That is the absolute greatest image and such a brilliant outlet. I'm frickin dyin laughing!!
Oct 23 - 10PM (Reply to #44)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

I still slap the turkey when

I still slap the turkey when I get the chance...haha. Works wonders. :) only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Oct 24 - 10AM (Reply to #45)
Used
Used's picture

betty2020

so glad your narc is not around to be near your turkey... i mean look how they love to ;;;; chickens... can you imagine the excitment of a turkey ;;;;... all there christmas come at once...lol.PS.. this gives a whole new meaning to the expression FOUL PLAY!!!
Oct 24 - 10AM (Reply to #46)
wholeagain
wholeagain's picture

Y'all are killing me

Betty what a visual, lmao! The only thing that would make it better if the turkey was stuffed with all the old bullsh*t love letters, emails, etc. Every lying word he said :)
Oct 23 - 6PM
Disillusionedx2
Disillusionedx2's picture

My heart goes out to you

Good evening SW, my heart goes out to you during this tumultuous time. I awoke angry today as well. It is a huge part of recovering. It means we are humans who experience true/real emotions, anything you say to him won't amount to a hill of beans in his twisted mind. There will be no "awakening" for the N, they simply do not have the ability to experience emotions as we do, it is so very hard to swallow/believe but it is truth. Never mind him and what he "maybe" thinking or saying, we have zero control over it, what we can control is our own actions. I have read the responses and the ladies are fighting for your very soul, I'm telling you, you have some warriors here! I am an Army Veteran and would have loved to have these ladies behind me in a war zone, they are fierce fighters. Everything they are saying is on point. You are a fighter too, I can feel it from you, you are also a survivor, add that to your resume, it is something to be proud of. I can’t imagine having ended up with a tragic ending dealing with a no good N. I watch “Snapped” and often wonder how many of the men were Ns and how the woman deal with losing children, freedom, taking of a life, and I feel lucky knowing that I was able to walk away, a mess, yes…lol, but still, I have my dignity and everything I went into the narc-mare with I still have. These characters can ruin you in ways we can’t even imagine. Think of this as a war, you are fighting for your soul, you have got to WIN. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd love to see you "go out with dignity" I know you feel as though he is thinking you are this that or the other...who cares what the heck this empty alien sees, think or feel? We already know they are incapable of feeling anything (except anger/fear) he's an addict (drug & supply) so I'm willing to bet his thinking doesn't even go that deep if it does, it's likely about how he will get his next "high"/”supply” as far as the ow, she will be another victim, this is NOT a happy union. Think about it, how on earth can a person be enthralled by someone after coming out of a so-called “relationship” with someone they claimed to have been in love with? That should be the biggest RF for the ow, she should lace her shoes up extra tight and run for the hills. I would not wish a narc-mare on anyone, I feel pity for her. Someone may not be as strong as we are and “snap”. We are out of that danger zone, we are survivors. Stay out here with us, lol. These situations can escalate at the drop of a dime over something simple and petty as a text/email. They could care less about us, he's shown that, anything else is just for supply purposes, so long as you give him any ounce of supply he knows he can play on it eventually. Starve him from this point forward. Yes, you will need to detox from him and detach. The anger will remain but it will lose steam eventually and will likely never completely go away. You will need to find a way to channel your anger while maintaining your dignity. Congrats on your job interview, home ownership is a very rewarding and proud moment, I love every minute of it, continue toward your goals. Have a blast tonight, if you have found that you may have had a bit too much to drink, get someone to drive you home safely, have a great evening, best wishes.

stay~strong

Oct 23 - 5PM
shortway
shortway's picture

Its' just also my exN has a

Its' just also my exN has a drug problem..In the letter it is the first time I am telling him that he needs to get help..that I believe he also has acquired a chemical imbalance because of the drugs..this does not make me feel well..I don't really feel well that i had to tell him these things..He needs help..I have lost my best friend and stepbrother to a drug overdose..I wanted to tell him how bad he is right now..Because my stepbrother and best friends just experimented first time and she died in her sleep..My step brother died of pill overdose becasue he had a bad back..just like my ex-N...he just needed to be told these things..and I dont care if it falls on deaf ears..I have seen a tremendous change in his mental state..And soon physically might follow..These are things i finally had to say to him..He can take it or leave it..But I had to let HIM know what it looks like from the outside..as well.
Oct 23 - 5PM (Reply to #38)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

RE: Drugs

The hardest and most painful thing to deal with - and I don't know if mine picked up again...I suspect... Is that you can't reach them - period. They have to reach rock bottom or deal with jails, death and institutions. There is nothing you can do... There are groups for people who are in relationships with drug users...the urge you to step back. I know that kills you inside because you want to know someone won't die or kill themselves, but you have to wear a coat of armor with this one hun...you can't fix this. I'm so sorry...it hurts like the devil I know, but seriously, you don't need any of it anyway.... I have a lot of mixed emotions myself...gotta run, but I hope you stay on because it seems like our stories have alot of similarities...we can exchange notes and maybe understand better.
Oct 23 - 7PM (Reply to #39)
shortway
shortway's picture

Thank you michele...I guess

Thank you michele...I guess the point is I broke NC and wrote the email..I can't take it back.I am proud of what I wrote and it helped ME get my soul back....I am dreading going up to that dark place that is his apartment complex area..As you all know the drive itself is a reminder..I will try to stay on..I just would like to not be pointed out that I broke NC and shouldnt have done it..In my heart I needed to say those things..So it helped me..might not help others..might fall on deaf ears..But I needed to do it...I'm going to try to have a good time..Thanks michele..my fellow italiana:)..
Oct 23 - 5PM
shortway
shortway's picture

Its' just also my exN has a

Its' just also my exN has a drug problem..In the letter it is the first time I am telling him that he needs to get help..that I believe he also has acquired a chemical imbalance because of the drugs..this does not make me feel well..I don't really feel well that i had to tell him these things..He needs help..I have lost my best friend and stepbrother to a drug overdose..I wanted to tell him how bad he is right now..Because my stepbrother and best friends just experimented first time and she died in her sleep..My step brother died of pill overdose becasue he had a bad back..just like my ex-N...he just needed to be told these things..and I dont care if it falls on deaf ears..I have seen a tremendous change in his mental state..And soon physically might follow..These are things i finally had to say to him..He can take it or leave it..But I had to let HIM know what it looks like from the outside..as well.
Oct 23 - 5PM
shortway
shortway's picture

I'm sorry i just feel 100x's

I'm sorry i just feel 100x's worse right now..i did what I did and its done..I don't agree with NC and not telling them how you feel before you go NC..I don't care if it goes in one ear and out the other..I just don't agree and me saying my N thinks I am cowering away..doesnt mean EVERYONE's N thinks they are carrying..This is just what I didn't need today...I have been made to feel like I did something wrong 100times by my N day in and ou..so the last place I want to feel I did somethng wrong is here..I'm not harassing him,I am not wrong for doing it,and my opinions are mine..i am not on a pedesatal or DIfFERENT from everyone else which has been implied..Just not the type of support I'm looking for...I get the whole other stuff..We all end up going NC in our own ways its should be respected..mine is going NC now..and I do plan on it..It is not a CYCLE still.I have progressed trememndously with other things....Sorry but thanks for your help otherwise..just not stuff I wanted to hear tonight..
Oct 23 - 5PM
shortway
shortway's picture

thanks michele..i'm going to

thanks michele..i'm going to try...i think I might need to step away from this board for a bit..I feel like I am stepping backwards sometimes..Just felt in my gut to do what I did and I felt right about it..What I don't feel right about is feeling like I shouldnt have done it...Not helping me..making me worse...So we'll see..I might need some time away...
Oct 23 - 5PM (Reply to #33)
MsVulcan500
MsVulcan500's picture

Shortway,

You should step back and evaluate anything that is making you feel worse in your recovery. We all want everyone to recover as quickly as possible, and if that means staying away from this board, then maybe you should take some time away and see if it helps. Good luck tonight, and yes, try to sit not facing out. Concentrate on your friends and have a good time.
Oct 23 - 5PM (Reply to #34)
shortway
shortway's picture

Thanks MsVulcan I am going

Thanks MsVulcan I am going to try..I need my strength..Once I get through tonight I will be able to go up there easily..It;s just I havent been up there since...Thanks..i might take a break from the board..I'm just on my final and true NC and I can't feel the way i am feeling or else I might retract all I said...and I am not going to do that ever again..What should have happened when I caught him was me writing him this letter I sent him,then never speaking with him again.The fact I tried to make amends was the worst thing I ever did..I should have saved myself 2mths of agony..I regret giving him a second chance..he ate it up..SO I am just trying to act as if it is the night of and I am telling him off and then going NC..maybe being up there will reiterate that and I can pretend in my head this nightmare of the past 2mths didnt happen..and i am writing him off as of that night I was up there and found him there..Thats actually might help me.
Oct 23 - 4PM
shortway
shortway's picture

This is a big night for me

This is a big night for me breisis I am going back to the area of the scene of the crime where I walked in on him with another girl..I need to be strong..I am going to pass where I pulled over because I couldnt drive home.I am goingto be across the highway staringat his apartment complex..It is my friends birthday and she pikced the place..I havent been up there since..I am going to be in a sense retracing my steps/drive home from that night...and probably a little drunk..So it is going to be a test for sure tonight..Hope to hear your support when I get home..Please send me good messages so when I get home and feel like I am still reliving that night I will hear all my angle's voices here..thank you guys...love you all:)
Oct 23 - 4PM
shortway
shortway's picture

I just can't focus on the

I just can't focus on the possible fact his voice is in my head right now...If so,I will focus on the negative..and starting now if I don't focus on the positive I will relapse with this..so it isn't healthly at this stage to go over it and over it whether his voice is in my head..I don't want to hear it and/or focus on it..
Oct 23 - 2PM
shortway
shortway's picture

But the last thing I need is

But the last thing I need is to feel is BAD that I stood up for myself,showed my self-respectBut enough is enough..I don't want to hurt the person I loved,unlike him..But he took it way too far..So yes I even feel guilty telling off the devil..who he is..So please don't reiterate that..Because in the past I would tend to back down from what I said because of weakness and try to retract what I said...and thats the last thing I want to do right now
Oct 23 - 1PM
shortway
shortway's picture

I know what you mean about

I know what you mean about the home improvement thing..When I move out in March,I'm sure I will be triggered too when I need something done..My ex-N was a contractor and did alot around my house.. I honestly can give two flying F's if me telling him how it is is harassing..He loves loves loves when I am weak...And he got the memo that isnt the case...Sorry..I'm not going out like that..I know I know I have heard it all.. But my gut told me what to do..And i am going to follow my gut..It was my gut that helped me find him cheating..It told me to go there that night and that something was off..So I'm just doing what feels right...
Oct 23 - 4PM (Reply to #28)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

To answer your question

Yes, I wake up angry...very angry...no love though!...Thank goodness for that. Hope you have fun despite the circumstances, maybe find a seat where you can't see his complex. It sucks.