'fitting in'

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 21 - 3PM
desprathousewife
desprathousewife's picture

'fitting in'

I'm so sensitive to other peoples feelings on here, my own included that I haven't broached this subject before for fear of alienating myself any further than I already feel I have.

Most of you are on the other side of the world already and I know we probably have culture differences but, because my narc, physcho...whatever the feck he is physically abused me, I don't feel 'In tune' with anyone on here. Apart from one other member that I have recently conversed with.

Maybe I come across as being strong...I'M NOT. I've been dying inside about what has happened to me. Maybe I'm not expressing myself properly. I have been totally immersed in paranoia for my safety, and I try to put a brave face on and use humour to cover my insecurities. I really need support though. I'm not really sure what I'm asking from of you all here though. Maybe I am on my own in all of this? Maybe his beating me has set me apart from the rest of you. Maybe I'm just different, incoherrant, irrational, illogical, an alien in new york (quoting Sting now). Maybe I'm just too sensitive, I just am trying to reach out in my own way for support and camaraderie.

The advise I try and give is probably hogwash, it's just my feelings. I'm trying to 'fit in' here is all.

Why do I feel I don't 'fit in' anywhere?

Is this why all this has happened to me...cos I don't 'fit in'?

sorry, I hope I haven't put anyones back up, I just feel so alienated and alone.

Oct 24 - 7AM
desprathousewife

Thank you so much everyone

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful support to my vent. I think that is the first time I've vented on here and for some strange reason, after I had, I felt ashamed and embarrased. Would anyone happen to know WHY I would feel like that? I read all your wonderful replies and I'm taking everything on board. It seems that maybe I have this PTSD thingy magig?lol.....and yep, I guess I have felt very isolated, not so much now you've all taken me under your wing :) I'm also in agreement with someone who said in the last day or so that the full moon may have something to do with all this emotion that's been expressed over the last couple of days. Our bodies are 90% water after all and with the moons effects on the tides, our tides of emotion may be more strong when the moon is at its fullest. Either that or we are all premenstrual? lol I feel a bit of a fraud for not having been able to post any of my negative feelings before now, not any longer though, I feel so much better having released one of my many weaknesses that I may start a major purging session soon :) I love you all very much, may not post as often as some others but I'm here every day..... reading and learning, crying and laughing with you all, albeit silently. xxx
Oct 22 - 10AM
wholeagain
wholeagain's picture

DespratH.

It's wonderful that you could post this and say how you feel--as others have said, due to our relationships and situations we've had to be strong and stoic so much and we are natural cheerleaders for others and want to help others. To admit that we aren't wonderwomen and need help ourselves is so healthy. I sometimes don't thin we realize how much armor we have on, since we've lived in such a twisted world. I wasn't hit, but I was sexually abused for almost 20 years. Some of the things I allowed, or even went along with, are so shameful to me now. I talk about it pretty matter-of-factly but the scars are deep. This to say, sometimes I feel "other" and like I don't fit in too. I've often felt this way in groups, like somehow I'm out of sync, on the outer edge of the circle. I believe that both the Ns in my life picked up on that and exploited it. Anyway...don't know if this helps but while we all have our own versions of the Narc story, at the base we all fit here and can heal here.
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #19)
desprathousewife

Wholeagain

Thank you for not fitting in either :) it's good to know I'm not the only one x I'm real sorry about the 20 years of abuse you endured, I've been so wrapped up in my own pain and now I'm realising that my relationship has probably been a 'walk in the park' compared to most on here. So yes, that helped very much. x
Oct 22 - 12AM
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

You are safe here to be you,

You are safe here to be you, and to find who that is again. You are safe here. almostlydia

almostlydia

Oct 21 - 5PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

You belong!

You're a very STRONG woman. Your victory in court shows it. You have strength of character. What you went through... you didn't deserve. But you definitely belong here. There's nothing "odd" about you.
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #16)
desprathousewife

almostlydia and susan32

Your support means a lot to me. I AM in the right place, I know that now :)
Oct 21 - 5PM
ShaynasMommy
ShaynasMommy's picture

Of course you fit in here

Abuse is Abuse. Period. Doesn't matter the magnitude of it. My ex N didn't whallop me, but the only difference between you and me is that I had the better fortune to get out before it got that bad. Believe me, looking back, it was going to get that bad, because he started to act out his frustration by smashing his hand into walls, screaming at the top of his lungs inches from my face, grabbing my wrist to restrain me, and throwing objects in my direction. Do you think it would have gotten worse? I certainly believe so. We are all in good company here.
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #14)
desprathousewife

Yes Shaynasmommy

It would have got worse, that's a definate. You are right, abuse is abuse. Period. I excused all his emotional abuse for some strange reason, luckily I had the sence to not excuse the physical :)
Oct 21 - 4PM
julia29
julia29's picture

Please read my post from

Please read my post from yesterday. I also questioned wheter I fit in or not. My ex, I am sure has narcissistic personality traits and he was extremely physical abusive to me, he did try to strangle me several times and beat the crap out of me. I am from Europe where NPD is not a diagnosis as it is in USA. The behaviour of NPD is defined under the term anti-social, which is very confusing, because they obviously aren't the same. Both my ex and I are high-educated, he is a CEO, and I'm a student of university... I still can't believe he is the way he is, and that he was so abusive to me, education and violence just don't mix in my naive world, still... But after reading a lot of post on this site, well, actually it does mix.. Today my ex is living in a fancy neigborhood, has a new girlfriend with a good career, many friends, money and so on and on, it all look so good from the outside, probably why we can't get the real deal... Deep inside I know he is shit, but I don't know it in my heart yet, only logically, so by sharing this with you, I can tell you, YOU do fit in, I can tell, as you probably can tell my ex is a shit and a narc if you read my, and the other members post. and I guess your boyfriend told you that you were to sensitive and didn't fit in? That is a big lie. If you were abused, of course you are now very sensitive, any normal person would be!
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #12)
desprathousewife

Julia29

Actually my boyfriend never told me I didn't fit in, he was the one that never seemed to fit in and now I know why. There are probably so many of his victims in my locality that he pretty much kept himself to himself. I just thought him a bit of a loner. I bet now I look back, he was terrified I may have found him out, so he tried to keep me away from others and immersed me in his world and family to keep me from learning the truth. It's awful how little us Europeans know about these disorders, I sometimes feel like 'shouting it from the rooftops', but then I'd 'fit in' even less lol. Wow, your story apalling, I'm really humbled by all the people's stories on here and the devastation these beasts have inflicted. Thank you for sharing x
Oct 21 - 4PM
Klarity Belle
Klarity Belle's picture

Courage

The fact that you have reached out and opened your heart with exactly how you are feeling speaks volumes. Ptsd can be debilitating, in many ways it can feel as devastating as the trauma itself - worse because there isn't the adrenalin rush going on. Be gentle on yourself, ptsd symtoms take time to calm down. Big Hugs to you Desprathousewife, you are amongst understanding folk here. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The deeper that sadness carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." ~ Kahlil Gibran "That which we do not confront in ourselves we meet as fate" ~ Carl Jung http://www.storyofmylife.com/KLARITY4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The deeper that sadness carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"That which we do not confront in ourselves we meet as fate" ~ Carl Jung

http://www.storyofmylife.com/KLARITY4

Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #10)
desprathousewife

Klarity Belle

I'd be really interested in finding out more about this ptsd, it's symptoms and how to kick it to the kerb? :) x
Oct 21 - 3PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

((((Desperate))))

There are other gals on this board who have had physical violence. Probably ALL of us have, if you include more covert types of physical violence. Forced sex, being "accidentally" pushed or kicked, being grabbed and shaken, having your exit blocked. I'm with you that being beaten takes it up to another level . . . but I honestly believe it doesn't set you "apart", at least in the eyes of the membership here. Maybe just in YOUR eyes. For some reason? My exN tried to strangle me once, and shook me. He held a clawhammer to my face and told me he would bash my skull in with it. But mostly, he "crashed" into me, kicked me in bed, grabbed me and "moved" me around (he is very big and I'm small). He left bruises and scrapes. Once he let a board fall on me when I was helping him and it scraped my cheek and neck and left a horrible bruise. That was NO accident because he laughed and told me I was a pussy. The next morning when the bruise and scrape showed up he remarked "Now they're going to think I beat the shit out of you." I don't mean at all to diminish, I really hope that's not how I'm coming across. You ARE one of us, just like the gals who's Narc never laid a hand on them are one of us. You are one of millions (probably billions) of women who experienced domestic violence. One of the effects of it is ISOLATION. The shame and fear of it, the PTSD and ongoing symptoms of it can cause a terrible feeling of isolation. It's not true (((((hugs))))). You are where you belong. If being a part of a group who have experienced physical violence sounds helpful, why not find a group in your area to join? But my GOODNESS you are understood and welcomed here. Completely :)
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #8)
desprathousewife

Briseis :)

You are SO WISE :) I guess there are many reasons I've felt 'set apart', this ptsd sounds like one of the culprits, also my location (but that is just geography me now thinks). I'm not sure if I've felt ashamed, I'll think on that one, but I've definately felt fear. That has been my most prominant feeling throughout all this. Once I'd learned about APD, I was in a constant state of paranoia for mine and my children's safety. It seemed to overide all my other thoughts. Thankfully it is diminishing. It still comes back and bites me on the bum intermittantly, but I think I'm finally getting it under control. I tried joining my local domestic abuse group. Met 3 of the ladies there. You won't believe this but all 3 have no personal experience of it themselves. I seemed more knowledgable than any of them, so I've knocked that idea on the head. This ere site has been my only solice and I'm sticking to it like glue :) (((((hugs))))) right back atcha and thankyou for all your wonderful posts. They are truly wise and inspirational :) x
Oct 21 - 3PM
jen79
jen79's picture

despy I tell you my story

I was married 10 years ago to another Narc. And he physically abused me too. So no, you are not alone, you fit in here very well. I can only tell you, that this N was the dream man of my life. He was caring, he loved me, he hold me in his arms all night, he cooked for me, he gave me gifts, he treated me like a queen....and then he beated the hell out of me. He became very controlling and possessive. And it took me long time to get away from him. I tried to deny what happened, it was like a nightmare, that I pretended it didnt happen, but then he did it again and again and again. I was a mental wreck, I just knew, beating is not ok, and I had to get away from him, And I did, he made depts of more than 10.000 euro at the end, just to punish me. I never told anyone what happened, till I came here, I was over him, I forgave him. And last year we met, again, he helped me moving to my appartment, he told me I was the one for him. His baby mama contacted me and told me he talked all time about me, how great I was, and that he cant forget me, and what a great woman I must be. But he didnt tell her, he beated me. He called me and called me to tell me all the abusive shit about his 100 women, he even explained to me how my N works. He said, he likes to have the control over me, even when he lives so far away, so I stay away from man, though he is not even there. I thank him for telling me how Narcs think, but then I changed my number and never contacted him again, cause I thought, wtf am I doing here, I am friends with this narc, who abused me and left me with depts and he doesnt even make any effort to pay the money back while he travels around the world with his gf. I am over him, and I was right after I left him, cause I knew beating is wrong, it was easier to get over him than the N I met now who abused me emotionally. I hope this helps you, to see you are not alone. Hugs.
Oct 21 - 3PM
blueeyes
blueeyes's picture

desprathousewife- No way girl.

You said "I'M NOT. I've been dying inside about what has happened to me. Maybe I'm not expressing myself properly. I have been totally immersed in paranoia for my safety?" You come across very strong. Sometimes we do not like to ask for help. Maybe you are too busy taking care of everyone else and staying strong for them? You need to say your scared, I really had no idea. What are you afraid of? paranoid of? Let me know???? Please btw, I feel like I don't fit in anywhere. I have become a cacoon in my life circle. Maybe we hibernate to heal? I'm not expert but that's my opinion.
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #5)
desprathousewife

Sorry blueeyes

I've been putting a brave face on like allthatglitters said and have been too proud to ask for help, you are spot on. No more though. Pride comes before a fall, and I'm not taking another NO...SIREE :) I hope you are managing your paranoia and are safe and well? My paranoia stems from his having APD, learning of all his past abuse that has gone unpunished and knowing he is back (still secretly) with an ex of his that attacked me on the first night we met, who incidentally, lives just around the corner from me. I have had so many sleepless nights with thoughts of them plotting against me, I have to try and keep these thoughts to a minimum now. I was making myself ill. I've lost a stone in weight since this happened, I was slim to begin with. I'm getting better and making sure I look after my health now. Jeez I was playing right into their hands inadvertantly. If I'd carried on down that path I may have ended up doing to myself what I think they are capable of doing to me. I'm definately gonna try and open up more from now on :) x
Oct 21 - 5PM (Reply to #2)
MovinOnUp
MovinOnUp's picture

I'm raising my hand for

I'm raising my hand for physical abuse. I've only had two bouts of physical violence throughtout my thirty-one year marriage. He pushed me down with such force during year two that I had three or four inch scabs on my knees that took months to heal. Never will I forget the look on my bosses face when I lied to him about how I got the scabs on my knees. I felt like I was two inches tall. Year twelve he strangled me. He didn't "try" to strangle me, he strangled me. And the only reason there wasn't more physical abuse was that I knew that his father had been a batterer, and he didn't want to be pegged as being just like his father. I'd also had the good sense at nineteen to break up with him and when I did, I had told him that I wasn't willing to pay for what other people had done to him. Obviously, I allowed him to hoover me back in. Little doubt in my mind that he would have beat the crap out of me if I hadn't had so much knowledge about his parents and his abusive childhood prior to marriage. I simply knew too much, and he's always been desperate not to be lumped into the same catagory as his father. You are not alone here. I'm a first generation American and have a lot of family in Europe so I kinda get what you mean about the cultural differences too. I'm so very sorry that you had to endure all this physical abuse. I feel your pain and the reason you need to be here is that you need validation for that pain. And that's something I had difficulty getting even from my own siblings and parents. (((HUGS)))
Oct 24 - 8AM (Reply to #3)
desprathousewife

((((MovingOnUp))))

I feel your pain too. How clever of you, YES, I need validation for that pain. You lot are geniuses :) We get that validation here, no-one else quite 'gets' all this the way everyone does on this wonderful site. Time for me to look inside myself now, I've dealt with who HE really is and why this has happened to me. Now it's time to look inside myself and admit the part I played in 'allowing' him to treat me so callously. x
Oct 24 - 1PM (Reply to #4)
MovinOnUp
MovinOnUp's picture

desprathousewife

Ahhh!!! I just lost a long winded post by hitting the back button instead of post... and the beautiful fall day is calling me to go outside and revel in the sunshine. So all I'll say for now is that I'm glad you found this board and now feel at home here. I've spent so many years submerged up to my neck with PDs that by the time I found this board I'd already figured out the how and why behind both his actions and mine. We are SO lucky to be part of a community that really does get it, because unless you've lived it it is very difficult for anyone to absorb and understand the damage we've suffered. And blank stares are almost as difficult to withstand as the abuse. I've managed to maintain a level of independence within my marriage that most happily married women envy... and that really puts me behind the eight ball when I start babbling about being oppressed, sabotaged, and abused. As I've said on here before, I really need a blackboard and a piece of chalk to connect a bunch of random dots in order to make people understand the slick ways in which he has attempted to take me down, block me from getting that which I wanted most. The two bouts of physical abuse caused me a lot of pain, but it pales in comparison to the pain affiliated with the emotional abuse. I think because its more tangible, and easier to define. Though terrifying none the less. So much for my short winded post... lol Hugs to you, Despart.