do narcs tell us what we want to hear out of guilt for what they have done?

55 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sep 29 - 9AM
jaycee
jaycee's picture

do narcs tell us what we want to hear out of guilt for what they have done?

I wonder if the lies my hN tells me, are just lies so words come out of his mouth, or do they tell us what we want to hear to make us feel better, or out of guilt or to keep us happy enough to keep them around? I wonder if my hN feels so guilty about all hes done, that he will say anything to make me feel better, what do you think......

Oct 1 - 11AM
jaycee
jaycee's picture

please read my reply called heres another angle and reply

I replied to the angle of triangulation, would you read it all of you and tell me what you think of what I said in that particular reply to my post. thanks girls........

Jaycee

Oct 1 - 8AM
fedup
fedup's picture

Here's Another Angle, Jaycee

I suspect your N is the type who likes to triangulate on purpose. What greater ego boost is there for a man with no real self-esteem---than to have women vying over him? Well, that must mean he's really something, huh??(a legend in his own mind)(insert eye-roll here...) And what happens when the triangle is in place--both women are stepping up their game, jumping through hoops, catering to his every whim, getting upset& providing him drama for his twisted entertainment needs. Both women get so caught up in the competition, that they lose sight of what they're actually fighting over----a lying, cheating, fink.........who sits there smirking on the sidelines, enjoying every moment of it. But that smug smirk will disappear the moment you let go of the tug-of-war rope and walk away. Then the show's over. and the winner is..........the woman who walks away.Let her have him. Any man who puts someone that he "claims" to love in that position, of having to constantly contend---is SO far beneath you....... I think I suggested reading up on Karpman's Drama Triangle, I'm going to try to put up a link to a site with a really good article. It's an advertising site, trying to sell a book, but there is a lengthy article which was an eye-opener for me, maybe it can help you too. http://www.lynneforrest.com/html/the_face_of_the_victim.html If my link doesn't work, the article will come up with a Google search--just look for the author's name. **okay, I just tested the link in my comment preview--it will take you to the site's home page, and the article can be found in the archives menu--"The Face of the Victim'
Oct 1 - 10AM (Reply to #52)
helldweller
helldweller's picture

Triangles

Oh, boy! Yep. The whole babysitter vs. me thing was insane. So unbelievably stupid. Pitting me and the out of work longshoreman hairdresser against each other. "She's a backstabbing, homewrecking whore," I would say, and he would say, "She's not mean like you. She just doesn't like drama." Oh, ok Narc. So now I'll turn myself inside out to prove that I am not dramatic at all. Here, let me lie down and you can walk over me, too--twice! Mad, brainwashing mindf*ck!
Oct 1 - 2PM (Reply to #53)
kiwi10
kiwi10's picture

helldweller

we are all mean drama queens lol when i sent that chat to all my friends and sisters, we have so much fun .. my sister says 'stop having such large feelings and deep emotions and make some memories with me' lol drama with a capital 'd' lol
Oct 1 - 9AM (Reply to #49)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Creating rivalry

The ex-Psych professor was the SAME WAY! He triangulated between my former lab partner and I... she and I were almost friends... but he caused enmity between us, and she believed all the lies he said about me. What's tragic is that she stayed behind to be a professor herself, and died last year at the young age of 40 under mysterious circumstances. "What greater ego boost than to have women vying over him?"-When I met the OW, a curator, I liked her. We didn't fight over him the only time we met. I told the ex-P "why didn't you tell me about her? she's nice." Then I told him he WANTED her and I to fight over him, and made a crack about the mud wrestling pit at the upper dorms. I told him "you wanted me to be a raging, jealous b*tch, but I want you two to be happy." When I congratulated the ex-P on his engagement, he went ballistic. He even hoovered me... but I gave him the silent treatment. Not too long after, I left town without telling anyone, not even the professors I TRUSTED, because it would've gotten back to him. As an empath, I knew he WANTED WANTED a rivalry so bad it hurt. So I was like a hostess at a winery who pours a guest a glass of vinegar instead of wine. I knew what I was doing. I did NOT want a rivalry-for the OW's sake-she was a good person-and wanted to make him suffer.
Oct 1 - 10AM (Reply to #50)
fedup
fedup's picture

Susan,sounds like

you did the smart thing---you didn't get sucked into the game.And I think that's the best revenge you could've gotten--not playing the game.And not providing the reaction/response that was expected. I think w/some of these N's, they're so pompous that they always believe that if they push Button A, they will always get Response B. (they forget that we are sentient beings & we can usually think for ourselves). So, it throws their entire concept of the universe into a blender when we don't react in a predictable fashion.I learned this from dealing with a female narc who was trying to triangulate between me and my SO. At first I was blindsided by the attack, but my gut instinct told me she was just trying to push my buttons----so I didn't react. I just let her talk, and watched with growing amusement as she kept trying to escalate--she was trying so hard to undermine my opinion of my SO, and I just wasn't buying it.
Oct 1 - 10AM (Reply to #51)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

I knew what he wanted

I was more like the waitress who purposefully gives a baloney sandwich instead of a steak, knowing FULL WELL the customer wanted the steak special. I admit, there was a cruelty to it. The sad thing was that this was my teacher I'm talking about. I never did date him, we never had a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship... nor did we get physically involved. I saw him as a friend. I did NOT want a rivalry. In fact, I sent a bottle of wine congratulating them both on their nuptials... exactly a year after their wedding. I didn't even get a thank-you note.* *There were rumors of the ex-P being alcoholic. Oh, the irony.
Oct 1 - 8AM (Reply to #46)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

heres another angle

fedup thank you for your insight. i will read the article, i love to read about all this bs, its so interesting. so true. but, for the record, his dirty little whore he lives with, has absolutely no idea he comes here or texts or calls. i know this how, she is the ballsy bitch who called me to announce herself to me, call me to remind me she was in his life, came here left packages in my mailbox, followed me into stores, so i know her type, if she thought for one second, i was anywhere in the picture, shed be at my front door. he has admitted to convincing her, we dont speak, hes only allowed to pick his daughter up at the end of the driveway, and that his words, he told her straight out there is nothing here he misses, except his daughter, but he sees her and thats fine with him........so i guess im the only dummy who knows the deal and puts up with it to get the bills paid and to, sickly enough, jab her while she has no clue....because someday, he will f up and get caught and i will sit back and laugh in her face.....but right now, there is no triangulation going on in her life, shes very arrogant, very confident, that hes hers and all hers when it comes to me, and that she has won..........but thank you, it was a good thought, too bad, she doesnt have to do anything but be his sugar mama, no other reason in her mind to jump through hoops or feel like she has to contend. and as for anyone who says they love someone and does what he does to me, i know he doesnt love me, and i have come to accept that, its almost a game now, i just like watching him squirm his lies and see how much he thinks hes keeping me in his web........hes starting to figure out how much i know him, and how i know what a liar he is.........but yes, two can play that game.....i will get everything i can out of him for now, then discard him and replace him as he did me.........lol

Jaycee

Oct 1 - 12PM (Reply to #47)
fedup
fedup's picture

But there is

triangulation in her life. She just doesn't realize it.Yet. He's playing her the same way he played you. I think I said this in a different thread--he cast you in the role of persecutor (placed the devil's horns on your head) and he cast her in the role of rescuer (he put the halo on her). Now he's trying to reverse the roles, while he happily sucks up the attention from both of you, and plays the poor, downtrodden, long-suffering victim. (Yeah, right) One thing I noticed in your post---I still think you're spending too much of your mental energy consumed by what she is or isn't thinking/experiencing.She's taking way too much space in your head, and she's not even paying rent. Time to evict her!! I know, easier said than done---I've been in a somewhat similar situation w/ a nasty NPD/HPD passive-aggressive OW who tried to get in my face, too. So, I know how easy it is to let that dominate your thoughts........it can really get under your skin. In my story the OW went so far as to launch a smear campaign against me , that could've negatively affected my career. It's a really crappy feeling when you're out socially, and people who've never met you are giving you the stinkeye, because someone (ahem) was trash-talking you in your absence. ....So I really do understand how much stress that can cause. And how easy it is to obsess over someone interfering in your life, especially when you've done them no wrong. But where does it get you? All the obsessing, stressing, and worrying and wondering? Reminds of a saying I once heard: "Worrying is a lot like sitting in a rocking chair.It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere." And, as a sidebar: Based on the OW's actions, I think we can safely presume that she has a PD , she certainly demonstrated some narc behaviors when she was getting in your face.It takes a really, messed up personality, and a huge lack of empathy to behave like that. PD or not, she's an asshole. ......So what does that say about your N? The fact that he would be attracted to someone like that at all, speaks volumes about who he REALLY is.And it sounds like they deserve each other.Let her become the one who has to pace the floors, wondering when he's coming home. (or vice versa, she might do the same to him)(Poetic justice?) Jaycee, try to remember that it's all beneath you---try to keep that vantage point.You'll get there...probably with stumbles and setbacks, but you'll get there.(and the setbacks can actually help strengthen your resolve in the long run..)(they can serve as reminders.)
Oct 1 - 3PM (Reply to #48)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

but there is

fed up, i guess there is a triangulation in her life and she just doesnt know it yet, lets hope she does real soon. thanks for your words they mean alot and im listening. love that you reply to my posts, all of you.....xoxoxoxo

Jaycee

Sep 30 - 6AM
faithinthefuture
faithinthefuture's picture

jaycee

it's hard to wrap around our brains and hearts how Ns work. Read and reread EVERYTHING these women are telling you! Their answers are the truth of the matter.
Sep 30 - 7AM (Reply to #41)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

faith

faith, i know everything they are saying is the truth, but have you ever heard the expression, the truth hurts, well, this truth hurts like hell and the pain is so unbearable. yet, there are moments here and there, where i feel like hes nothing but the monster he is, and that i wish i could walk away and never see him again, my fight is over her winning, not over winning him back, i think, and i really believe this, if he were to walk away from her, i wouldnt want any part of him, its almost like someone abused me so badly, that all i can think about is getting them back. not just him, her too, i would love for her to open her eyes and see the man behind the mask and kick his looser ass out, and i would laugh so hard, and say oh well, you got what you deserved, both of you, but hes got her under his spell and theres no way someone as desperate as her, will ever want to see or know the truth. crazy huh, i know what he is, i know every word out of his mouth is a lie, i know how he plays me, degrades me, uses me, lies to me and manipulates everything. i also know when hes having his psychotic breaks, when he cant do anything but rage and blame me, cause right now, he cant rage with her. so strange, this moment im so angry, so angry he has the nerve to pretend hes unhappy while hes fucking her left and right telling her he loves her and how she does it for him, and then tries coming here and tries to fuck me, there are days though he comes here and doesnt put on his act of how much he wants me, thats when i know hes spent from fucking her, so i laugh, he has no clue, i know what hes all about, he has no clue, i know, when hes not spent, hes begging me telling me he misses making love to me, hogwash, hes full of shit, hes horny and didnt get it from the whore. thats all that is.........sorry im rambling a little angry this morning, because everytime he lies to me, i get a little more angry, by next month, ill be wishing his death.......because his lies are getting bigger and bigger and more and more obvious........

Jaycee

Sep 30 - 1PM (Reply to #44)
Scoop
Scoop's picture

Oh heck "the truth hurts "

Oh heck "the truth hurts " is just what my narc would say just after he had told me something so unkind i was still on the floor . Youre pain is their pain killer ... it takes a long while to get youre head round it .....I remember a time at the last d&d just before i left his sorry arse that he was saying the usual "i dont love you Scoop , you dont make me happy blah blah " and then 2 nights later when i had turned my back on him in bed (which he did to me countless times ) and i refused to engage with him he started cying saying "scoop , scoop i think im loosing you pleasssseeeee Scoop pleasssse! "... now did me love me ? at that moment he was fearful of loosing me but he had been "really honest " a couple of nights before .. you know what i recon it was all lies , he said what came into his mind in the here and now ... all of it bollocks .
Sep 30 - 7AM (Reply to #42)
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Anger

It's OK to be angry jaycee, it is part of the process. I know how much it hurts, and the injustice feels like we want to implode. Run with it, your anger will help make you stronger until the fog begins to clear. What I mean by that is when you begin to find your own direction and no longer focus on the hell of his own making. Keep on girl, you are doing good.

Nevergoback

Sep 30 - 7AM (Reply to #43)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

anger

nancy, thank you so much for your words, i need them.

Jaycee

Sep 29 - 5PM
kiwi10
kiwi10's picture

lol... 'guilt'

lol... 'guilt'
Sep 29 - 2PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

Not guilt. Strategy.

Not guilt. Strategy.
Sep 29 - 5PM (Reply to #38)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Excellent choice of word

Excellent choice of word Briseis. Luv your name btw :) only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Sep 29 - 11AM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

A Narcissist ALWAYS has a

A Narcissist ALWAYS has a hidden agenda with every word they speak and action they take. It has nothing to do with you jaycee. It has everything to do with him. He says what he needs to say in order to produce the outcome that is most beneficial to him. There is always a selfish motive lying underneath everything with the Narc. Dont be fooled by the guise. He is a master artist in his tactics. He has studied this art from childhood, developed his skills at mimicking what he has seen in order to get what he needs in life. Do not allow yourself to be sucked in. This is what we call brainwashing. Understand and educate yourself into what this illness really is b/c it is really your only defense. Without knowledge; there is no power. This is your force field and You cannot protect yourself from him without it. xoxo only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Sep 30 - 1PM (Reply to #36)
broken23
broken23's picture

He says what he needs to say

He says what he needs to say in order to produce the outcome that is most beneficial to him. this is perhaps the best way to describe them. so if it happens that we are beneficial at the moment. be it having sex, a conversation, play girlfriend with, go to dinner...they say nice things to us...which ultimately leaves us feeling confused for a lifetime!
Sep 29 - 12PM (Reply to #29)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

betty

what do you surmise his hidden agenda with this is all about? i wonder if he has to make sure he still has a home since there is nothing left over there for him, or he is like he says to unhappy to stay there. but i continue to say you need your own place, never ask him back here. let me know what you surmise, ill be home late tonite to respond..xoxoxoxo

Jaycee

Sep 29 - 5PM (Reply to #30)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

His agenda is to keep you

His agenda is to keep you around to fill his void. Narcs need a steady stream of validation from the outside world to feel alive. This can be in the form of having the ego stroked, having their daily needs met financially, emotionally or spiritually, having their sexual needs met etc... They have needs that can not be achieved by them alone. It requires supply, we are their supply. When they do not have this they are in a state of inner turmoil. It is their hell on earth. So they will avoid this at all costs and will take all measures to assure this does not happen to them. Any and All attention fills this void. Even negative attention. I know it sounds strange to us to consider that getting our butt handed to us is a good thing. But they see it as someone caring about them enough to give them their time and focus, which in turn fills the void. Think about the two year old and what happens when he does not get his needs met. Same principal. There is no difference with the Narc with the exception that he has mastered ways to complete his mission under the radar. He knows that if he literally throws himself on the floor in a tantrum (even thought i have heard cases like this) it is not going to give him the desired outcome he is seeking. Anyone would look at him like a crazy fool that needs to be committed. So he silently kicks and screams to get his way through his tactics. So you are a void filler. He does not look at you as serving any other purpose in life but than to fill his needs, what ever they may be at that specific time. Maybe he likes your house better b/c he dosnt have to be a responsible adult, maybe you cater to him, take care of him and its just plain easier to live with you than others that make him own up. If he possessed empathy he could see that he is sucking the life out of you. He would care how this has and does affect you. We all know he lacks this and that is why he is called a "Narcissist". So it is up to us to decide whether to feed the baby or not. We can continue to enable him and destroy ourselves in the process if we choose, but it is a choice. Bares repeating; IT IS A CHOICE. Understand that you can not modify or change this part of him. It is hard wired and permanent. So if your going to sacrifice yourself for someone like this, go into it fully knowing that in the end you will loose the battle. With him and most certainly with yourself. Read on the tactics of a narcissist. Gaslighting, ambient abuse ect... only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Sep 29 - 10PM (Reply to #31)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

his agenda is to keep you

betty, how can this be, he lives with his whore, so no he doesnt like being here better, or he would be, he has her to cater to him twenty four seven, so what is his hidden agenda with me. she certainly doesnt make him own up to anything, she pays for everything, caters to him, strokes his ego, etc. so maybe you missed the part where i threw him out. hes no longer here, he just comes here. so im lost at what you said, could you explain again, now knowing he lives with her.

Jaycee

Sep 30 - 10AM (Reply to #33)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

I did not miss that. I

I did not miss that. I understand that he is no longer living with you jaycee. Obviously he still sees you as supply or he would not be hovering around. If your asking me what that is specifically i can not tell you this. What i can tell you is that his motive is of a selfish nature and not because he loves or misses you. They do not think this way. Maybe this woman is not filling all his voids and he looks to you for something he is missing. Do you want to be in a relationship that is based on that? "never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option". Im sorry i dont remember who or where this quote comes from but it certainly fits. Does it really matter the motive or agenda? You know it is not about you and thats all that really matters in the end only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Oct 1 - 6AM (Reply to #34)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

betty

I love that quote, you are right, i sometimes make him my priority, and of course, im only an option. the funny thing is now that he only has the one phone, gave up the phone she was paying for, too much effort to have two phones, all the texts that say, luv u, hi mama come to my phone saying duplicate, God, he uses the same lines too, hes really not that bright, he cant even think of different lines for different woman. but that quote, "never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option". is now my favorite. thank you and thanks to everyone for all their replies. jaycee

Jaycee

Oct 1 - 8AM (Reply to #35)
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Your welcome hun.. your

Your welcome hun.. your worth far to much today to be someones option. Never forget that! luv you:) only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Sep 29 - 10PM (Reply to #32)
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Its's all about supply

His agenda is to keep you as SUPPLY. The most common mistake we all make is we believe when they come looking for attention is that they possibly care about US and how we feel. We all have to remember that what is going on in Narc head is completely different to how normal people think. He will come to you for attention for himself. So he lives with the other woman? Means little to him in that you are still part of his supply network, and if he is not getting enough supply where he is, you are always there to fall back on. He is also trying to figure out why you are not begging him to come back. My guess is that he will complain about how miserable he is so that you will feel sorry for him, then ask him back, thereby proving your love for him and providing him his supply. If you want to really figure out his tactics, reverse everything he says, and see what it tells you. Though it is worthwhile to remember that any response to him is still classified as supply because he believes it means you still care enough to respond, good or bad. A Narc gains their power, I believe, in their ability to affect us.

Nevergoback

Sep 29 - 11AM
helldweller
helldweller's picture

feel better

Mine never ever said anything to make me feel better either. never. He was incapable of even pretending to feel bad. If he told me he felt terribly for what anything he had done I swear I would literally lay down and die. It would never, ever happen. Ever.
Sep 30 - 1PM (Reply to #27)
broken23
broken23's picture

ha me too helldweller!

ha me too helldweller!
Sep 29 - 11AM (Reply to #14)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

feel better

so why does my hN consistently tell me things to make me feel better, or pretend to make me feel better, is he so twisted it makes him feel better. I have to listen to him tell me how he fked up and wishes he were still here, and how unhappy he is there, all the things i want to hear. how hes going to by hook or crook move on from her, all what i want and he knows it, but im assuming all this makes him feel better about him, not to make me happy.

Jaycee