"Be the change you want to see in the world."

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jul 28 - 5AM
Qing Yuan
Qing Yuan's picture

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

I have realised a very important lesson about myself today.
I behaved erratically and OTT. I mean I have been like a crazy girl speaking.

NOT malicious no, thank god, but crazy mad stalking person…

I think I have just begun the break down of the programme that has meant I have been destroying my life all this time. That which has kept me in destructive relationships where people who see my co-dependency use it and others are utterly repelled.

OK? What now…

It was so overt this time I can’t help but take heed.
I don’t know what came over the perfectly rational person that I like I think I am?
THIS IS A BIG HA HA moment 4 me.

I must have hit my head or something, because I never saw that I was doing this until right now. Consumed by a need to put the situation right. I couldn’t, I had gone too far and it could not be rectified.

I am now ready to take on board my co-dependency issues and find a path for my real healing.

Co-dependency seems to be about the dynamics of blurred boundaries.
From my understanding Co-dependency creates a tension within self because of the fabrications of your relationships with others. Denial of self is like the death of the soul. While we are co-dependant we always worry what others think of us and trying to please others and doing anything we can do to ‘fit in’. We lack approval as children. We long for approval; we look for others appreciation of us. In a way it is a little like NPD in that we build the ideal of ourselves from outside of ourselves through the eyes of others. So we objectify ourselves and that’s what narcs like because it makes their job easier of objectifying us.

Setting personal boundaries is fundamental to the healing process. So limiting the lengths we will go to get ‘approval’ is vital. As is recognising the need in oneself to approve of oneself first and foremost.

I see that now. I makes complete sense now. But I think sometimes it takes a huge shift in energy to break cycles that have repeating for decades of our lives.

Robert Burney frames it in his book, ‘the dance of the wounded soul, by explaining the ‘shame’ we hold from co-dependency is toxic. (Because the approval we seek can never be found through others in this way). WE create shame through negative co-dependant behaviours. The shame we create in ourselves is so encompassing and destabilising that it destroys the soul. The more we fall into co-dependent positions the more we embrace the shame that makes us look for still more co-dependant situations. The cycle continues.

There is a great deal more on this subject that leads into language, semiotics and control.

I do think that is about control of our surroundings. Sometimes it feels like we are so out of control and we want to strive for more control but we only hamper our efforts because we are trying to achieve a level of perfection we don’t own in ourselves, it is based on ideals of others around us that we seek approval from. The West is supports the creation of this sickness, through advertising, marketing, consumption of items and acquisition of goods, for which we use to build a sense of identity in this ever increasing modern materialistic world.

NPD is like this too, except the narc builds his objectified universe by trying to manipulate others into his own value system, by forcing them to adhere to his/her perfection… When they cant then it breaks down. I think many NPD’s are co-dependent but the lack of empathy and need to hurt others to feel better about themselves makes it all the more dangerous.

So I think I must have set this up lunatic happening up (with ex) on purpose. If you don’t make mistakes and then recognise the learning value then you have nothing but ‘shame’ left to live on. If shame is as toxic as we know it be then I know I have to take heed this time. If I can wake up now, stop the pattern unfolding any further and realise my weakness and forgive myself.

I have been fortunate to bring an overtly narcissistic person into my life. Yes blessed.
(No I’m not mad )

I have been given this entire travesty as a gift from the universe to bring this knowledge into my life.

If I structure my thinking this way then I can learn form my lessons at long last and open up a better future for myself as independent autonomous human.

I found this..

Gandhi quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world." Be is the operative word, the first word. Be--not tell, not try, not hope for, just be, as in I am that, therefore I can be nothing else. If we are trying to convert, to convince, or coerce, than we are not convinced ourselves.

http://www.theotherbed.com/2010/02/we-are-world-haiti-now-peace-within.html

Jul 28 - 2PM
Used
Used's picture

vix

i so agree, i was goin to write something like this earlier but didnt, so now i will these lowlifes have so made me look at my self that i didnt care anymore weather they changed, it was me ,i was goin to change and i have i have become so self aware that my theripist ended up saying there is nothing i can tell you, its already there good luckx
Jul 28 - 2PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

Vix, this is an astounding

Vix, this is an astounding revelation!! You are describing exactly what it takes, hon. The "wake up call" is always a huge foible, where we see our "mistake" and are horrified by it . . . and then vow to do differently. Whatever it takes! We don't just sit there in a rose garden and "get it". We only "get it" in Hell. I could not agree more, that as truly horrendous as my experience with my exNarc was, it was a "gift" of the highest order. It woke me up. Big time. To so much. I will never be the same, and thank God for that. I've had folks look at me like I am NUTS for thinking it is a gift. Honestly, I didn't think it was a gift in it's truest sense for a long, long time. But I had glimmers of it being a gift from the beginning. I had to do a lot of healing, letting go, and self forgiveness before I really accepted the "gift". I'm three years out and I still expect more "gifts" of this experience to come forward. It's not so much that the exNarc and his mistreatment was the "gift", it's what I chose to do with it. I refused to allow it to defeat me. I found no solace in being a victim, or getting lots of sympathy and attention for being a victim. I hated that I was victimized. I never wanted to be victimized like that again. And since I couldn't go around the Earth and get rid of all the Narcs and similar bad people, I had to change myself so these people would not victimize me again. Like BlueMoon's thread, it really is NOT about him :) I love and treasure that quote of Ghandi's. "Being the change" for me is about being kind and polite 99% of the time, and unleashing the Bitch Goddess only in very severe, chosen circumstances. It is not taking every slight or insult personally. It's about being the kind of person I would like to be my friend. Paying it forward to others with whom I've shared similar experiences. Anyway :blush: this is about you, and I congradulate you on this new understanding :) You will continue to have ups and downs, of course. But even in those down times, you still have this new understanding, even if it doesn't feel like it. You have new tools to deal with it now that you didn't have before. It's all progress, not perfection :)
Jul 28 - 10AM
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

This is so true. From my

This is so true. From my own experience and from others I have read here, the silver lining to this very dark experience is the depth of the 'introspection' it has created. I have and continue to move thru different levels of reaching some understanding and peace with myself and how i operate in the world. I have also seen things I had never realized before about parents and siblings that have been incredibly enlightening and somewhat disturbing. I know that I have always sacrificed far too much of myself for the sake of a relationship. From all the reading I've done, I know that a large part of this is natural for women. We, as a whole, consider our relationships the center of our lives, while men consider their work as what defines them, so to speak. But, even my Mother recognized that I have spent my life determined not to have her life of total self sacrifice. Yet I always wound up doing so then bailing when it was not reciprocated. We, as women, have only begun to be encouraged to be 'selfish' without guilt in recent years. So it is not just a personal problem but one of social conditioning that is still in the early stages of enlightenment. I know I also sounded like the 'crazy' woman thru much of this to friends because damn, who wouldn't going thru all of this. I'm thru beating myself up for that. After finding all of you here, I no longer HAD to talk about it out there with those who would misjudge me. I could talk about it more from an educated person's perspective instead of such a personally devastating one. It's surprised me as to how much the support and validation from all of you calmed things down for me. It also surprised me how much more respect I got when I could elude to the disordered out there from an educated point of view instead of a confused, crazy victim perspective. I know I still have a ways to go to separate my super sensitivity to N traits - questioning my ability to decipher real from imagined. It's safer right now just to back off from any one I perceive to be less than genuine and it doesn't bother me at all to do so. "Setting personal boundaries is fundamental to the healing process. So limiting the lengths we will go to get ‘approval’ is vital. As is recognizing the need in oneself to approve of oneself first and foremost" I appreciate this line completely and agree with it wholeheartedly. This is what I'm working on and I expect I will make some mistakes along the way but that's ok too. Thanks for the post. I, too, believe that even our worst experiences can bring something positive to our lives if we recognize and learn from them.

almostlydia

Jul 28 - 7AM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Thank you Vix for this post.

Thank you Vix for this post. Breaking the cycle is correct! It has been a true awaking through out this process. I have come to find that my own issues with co dependence have been the creator for most of my pain and suffering throughout the years. Its is about expectations. I had security and abandonment issues from childhood. I carried this into adulthood without realizing i had them. I was unable to function in a intimate relationship b/c i held unrealistic expectations for my significant others. I looked to them for validation and love that i was lacking within myself. This explains why i always felt i needed to have someone in my life. I was never relaxed without another person there to complete me. You simply can not place all of your trust and faith into another human, you will inevitable get hurt in the end. The fact that i have always gravitated towards unhealthy relationships is not the real issue. The issue is that I see intimate relationships as the means to validate my existence and make me whole. I need them like i need to eat and sleep just to feel ok inside. So coming to the realization that the change could only come from within me I decided that I would give myself the love that i have attempted to give others and always felt like i had failed. Learning to love yourself is by far the greatest gift one can give to themselves. only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Jul 28 - 5AM
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Vix

As usual you are way ahead of how you think, to how you actually feel. I have just found out that I am highly ADD yet I have structured my life around this quite effectively. The point is, not being so strong in myself, I always looked to those that were. I survived simply because I had some very powerful role models. I will post on this more shortly. (watch this space)

Nevergoback