Imabloke story

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 27 - 7AM
imabloke
imabloke's picture

Imabloke story

After reading the comments on this fab site. I can only give from the recent experience I have had with my now exN girlfriend. (Yes I am man girls and it happens to us guys as well). I believe is a 'covert narcissist'. Someone who would cover up the arrogance by being the opposite.
She appears shy, like a wall flower. Wouldn't hurt a fly, very endearing, very well liked in our circle of friends. However we are talking a wolf in sheeps clothing... she has a very highly specialized status job in the city and EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT. How she works in a team i don't know. She doesn't really work in a team it seems like she runs everything including her boss and i'll get to the boss later in the story.
I lived and loved her for over 2.5 years.
She was never wrong, didn't take criticism at all well. We never argued, which is not good in a relationship. And I think this is more of avoidance than anything else.
No empathy, no remorse, working always to her agenda blaming others and failure to take responsibility for her actions.

IN THE BEGINNING... We were members of the same amateur dramatic group. I liked her, she was attractive, sassy full of life etc.. and friends we talking at in the pub after shows etc. She approached me, told me her current relationship wasn't right and she wanted to end it.
And in all honesty she told me about her dodgy past. But now on my reflection.. how much of it was truth or being economical with the truth? Down is up up is down. And she told me she was (and still is) having therapy.. now there's a thought.
I knew i was taking a massive risk with this person as she didn't seem to 'know herself'.
But in life we take risks.. if we don't, we will not know ourselves' and remain emotionally stunted.
So I went for it and became the new lover or source if you like. She left her partner within weeks, so there wasn't much 'overlap' as i didn't want to be the 'other man'. I didn't feel good about myself while we were carrying on etc.

She moved into a rented a house. I said 'have some space, time on your own'
No. She wanted me now, I was the love of her life etc, etc. We all know where this is going. She had her house and i had mine. Although i spent all my time round at hers.

The thing is - narcissists can't stand on their own 2 feet.
They have to have someone. She is so insecure.
They have to have a support network, we all need people in our life's, family friends, spouse etc. but you'll find N's are people junkies they like to have lots of people that they can tap into. And when it ain't going there way they dump you.
I believe she chose me because at the time I was strong. I told her that i was divorced, had managed to sell a very big house and buy 2 smaller houses one for me and one for my ex wife and my 3 children. That impressed her. And she knew i could help her move on to the next stage in her life and help rebuild her life ie. get out of the old relationship move and buy a house etc.
I am very good at fixing things DIY and a good organiser etc. I did an awful lot for her.

MY whole life changed!!!

At first the love or as I thought it was love, was 'euphoric' It was just something else, so wonderful something i have never experienced before. I felt loved. The sex was just amazing. After a few months it was a leap year 2008 and in Feb she asked to marry me.
I was very flattered no woman has ever asked. I always did the asking and i had only ever asked twice before (1. my ex wife and 2. one other lover years ago and she said no). Alarm bells were ringing because she had only been out of relationship for a short while and now wanted to marry me. It all sounds very nice but a bit juvenile for someone that's 40. But i was so in love etc etc..

The first year was great. But something wasn't right IT WAS ALL TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE. It felt like i was dealing with the emotions of a child rather than an adult. Weird.
Sometimes she would be staring at me (lovingly) and end up walking into something.
Talk of 'never leave me' 'always and for ever' etc. etc. lots and lots of it. little notes left about the house which is all normal she couldn't get enough of me. I know that people in love do all this stuff but it all so gushing that's the only way to describe it. And I was hooked.

This was the idealization stage.
On the gift giving, there were lots of gifts, spontaneous. (Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!) I gave back in return lots of love. love letters, gifts, flowers etc etc.

My kids got to know her kids and they all got on great. We had our first holiday together along with another friend and her children, which now i think was her secondary NS. The more i write about this the more i understand the nature of the person I was dealing with.
The NS has to be on there best behaviour at first . Thing is why did she pick me??.. she must have had other suitors... But i obviously had something that she lacked...

She did have pics of friends family etc. all seemed normal.
But no long term friends like Uni friends etc. In fact she would criticise them.
Then almost overnight came the depression, self loathing. The silence. She wouldn't open up tell me what was wrong. It was like an emotional wall.
Is this common in narcissists?
I felt like i was in the wrong perhaps it's me that's getting her down. What can i do to make things better? Why is she like this? Why doesn't she talk to me about what's bothering her.
One thing they are afraid of, is intimacy.
I mean real intimacy.
Talking about real problems. She never really talked about me, to me ie. How do feel about your brothers illness? What went wrong with your other female relationships? Lets go and see some of your friends in your home town etc. It was always about her... and her agenda. Never about me. I felt lost I felt i was changing, disoriented. I was losing my identity. I was so desperate to make this relationship work i was changing myself into something i thought she wanted me to be. She fed me, we slept together, the sex became less frequent, less passionate and i would always have to initiate it.
We never argued.. now I think she was afraid that would lead to her revealing her true self..
Am I right??

My ex wife contracted breast cancer late 2009... I joking said well we'll may have to buy a big house and all of us live together your kids my kids etc. and i know that scared her. Intimacy and commitment. An adult would say something like 'well Im not sure if I can do that.. or I'm not ready for this.. lets talk about this and find a solution etc. But she didn't.
Can't confront real issues. It's like dealing with a child who isn't getting the right sort of candy. What happens - a tantrum - but she can't have a tantrum, because the real person will come out.. Writing this all down is helping me make sense of it all.

It felt she was the flat tyre and I was the pump. It was exhausting. She rarely projected. On occasions i would get the blast of something that I had done, that was my fault but in the middle of something else, she was trying to come to terms with. So it was out of context. Oh my god when she was angry you knew about it (where's the wall flower now). So now we on to the next stage 'devaluation'. She would dig at me about my age or doing something that was a 'dad thing' or undervaluing my achievements. From no provication whatsoever. No matter what i did to try and please her, it wasn't enough. I felt I was becoming a person she wanted me to be. I was going insane. It was give, give, give and nothing coming back. So I tried to detach myself abit for my own well being.

Then came the decarding.
One night she just dumped me. No explanation, nothing. 'We have no future' that's all i got. I was devastated. There was no closure.
I had no contact with her for 8 weeks, then we met in a pub by accident and she told me that she still loves me. Let's try and patch things up. And like a mug i tried. God did i get the runaround, only to find out after few weeks at trying to 'patch things up' and make some sense of the past 2.5 years that she's now found the love of her life and it's her boss that she's worked with for 13 years. He's left his wife. She (my exN) loves him but he doesn't know it.. yeh right. She is a good liar.
She has done this cycle of partners 3 times, including me as far as know. With overlap basically forming the next relationship before ending the last one. Nice. Nice person. And then string me along so in case it doesn't work out she'll carry on with me.

Now there's no contact and there never will be. I've had a lucky escape. But at a cost. I am in my recovery mode at the moment but each day gets better.

Conclusion:
Feels entitled to do whatever they like.
Uncaring. (May show that they care but if it has no benefit to them they don't care).
Fears abandonment.
Cannot stand on their own 2 feet.
Feels superior, above everyone else including you.
Idealization. Always looking for the perfect lover or scenario.
You - the NS - will always be 2-3 steps behind. And be thankful that you are acknowledged - even just for now. Nice, nice person.
Controlling.
Lacks empathy.
Feels little or no remorse.
Not in touch with themselves.
No sense of identity.
Can't take criticism well.
Never wrong.
Avoids confrontation.
Seeks absolution in the abused partner.
Economical with the truth.
Lying and will distort the truth so they look good and they believe it to be the truth. You challenge the lies at your peril.
Secretive.
Works to there own secret agenda.
They only feel fear and rage
Fear of intimacy.
She had a particular fear of snakes... hmm perhaps she's seeing something of herself.
Will only do something that benefits themselves.

What they are looking for doesn't exist.
Therefore YOU no longer exist.
As we know they need to look inside themselves which they will never do.

Sad really. As there is no happy ending.

ON a positive note... I always look at my cup being half full, rather that half empty. I always look to gain from an experience rather that lose.

To help get over it, write down your story, post it on blogs, you will realise your not alone. Other people have similar stories etc. This is your story - and in fact treasure it. Add to it, craft it, its you now and its time you nailed this demon and put it away forever. The N has given you a gift, by stripping you away - you now have a chance to rebuild yourself into a better person. Seize that chance because believe me you can change yourself for the better. I know I have. You will feel better in time. Believe that you can be happy again. You don't need ANYONE to validate who you are. Believe in positive karma. Believe in yourself. I know I am a good person. I am valued, loved and understood by those around me.

The narcissist isn't any of these. They've denied themselves of it and it's not through choice. I think its wrong to belittle them. It might makes us feel better in the short term but in the long term it doesn't. They are tortured infantile souls that have, and will never grow up. Because quite simply they can't. In my case I think her mother is a narcissist as well. Although i didn't know her that well and i only got a bit of the devaluation at the very end. But the point is her mum is on her own and has been for years. She gets her NS through her kids and grand children i think. And to add to irony - my exN has said she will 'probably end up like her mum - alone'. How prophetic. Or should i say pathetic.

No contact whatsoever is the best solution.

Bless you all on this site because God I know you have all suffered.

The truth will set you free. But at first, it will piss you off.

Jul 19 - 3PM
ShaynasMommy
ShaynasMommy's picture

Well said.

The N has given you a gift, by stripping you away - you now have a chance to rebuild yourself into a better person. I completely agree with that. You are not destroyed, but added to, and you can make that positive or negative in your life. You can wallow in self pity and never learn or move on, or you can choose to reform yourself into the stronger, wiser person in that situation. And about positive karma....completely true. If you do good, you get good. The opposite is also true, Iv'e seen it in action. My ExN's OW left him 2 months later and went back to her husband once they patched things up. Talk about using the user! and yes its pathetic how they gotta have one lined up before they are done with the current one. Its like watching someone with a cold, constantly having to grab a tissue and then toss it away.....
Jun 28 - 1PM
Kelly
Kelly's picture

Thanks

I wish more guys would post their stories on this site. You have no idea what it means to us ladies to know that there are actual men out there with complex, mature emotions. One of the things I can't stand are books that teach woman to play the game and that men are all six year-old's emotionally. Narcissistic male psychologists or pop relationship councilors making excuses for their own bad behavior. I love that you said "But in life we take risks.. if we don't, we will not know ourselves' and remain emotionally stunted." It's something I have to remind myself everyday. All the bad relationships I have had did mean something to me and I am stronger and more mature because of them. When I do fall in love (if that does ever happen) It will be for real. If he shows his true colors, (even if it's years down the road) I know I will be strong enough to leave him and not hate or doubt myself for it.
Jun 28 - 3PM (Reply to #15)
imabloke
imabloke's picture

Hi Kelly

I'm glad you liked the post. I just wanted to be honest and share my feelings. I told her I was taking a massive risk not that it made any difference. But what i've noticed is she didn't take any risks.. which is interesting. She hedged her bets to move on to the next relationship/challenge/victim. Therefore not taking the risk (ie like a child won't take risks) she will always be emotionally stunted, shes trapped, a childs emotions in an adult body - as we know. I hope you do find love - someone to love, that will love you back - as you are - and not how he expects you to be.
Jun 28 - 12PM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Mortar board abusers

You have it summed up right. That's an important checklist when it comes to any potential mate or friend. My ex-P (as in psychopath) claimed to be intelligent, that he was a professor, a philosopher (who couldn't come up with an original thought, go figure) A year after he had strung me along, D&D'd me, then tried to smear my reputation and destroy me professionally (yes,he was my former professor,and I got booted out of a teacher education program due to being "dangerous to children")... he was married with kids. You're right. It sounds suspicious when someone "moves on" so fast,as your ex-N did with you. Your ex-N was afraid of snakes, my ex-P was afraid of spiders... yep, predators.
Jun 27 - 11AM
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

Great Posting

Thanks for sharing your story....it seems you really understand what happened to you and were able to draw some very insightful conclusions out of it. And I do believe an "intelligent narcissist" is worse. My N is more intelligent than I am, and I feel like that is part of the reason I could never get at the truth. Because he always had a way to outwit me and make me think it was him being self-effacing, when actually it was his smart way of lying and hiding something from me that he didn't want to share! Thanks.
Jun 27 - 12PM (Reply to #10)
imabloke
imabloke's picture

Thanks

Yeh.. my exN was very good at manipulating facts to suit her needs. I'm so glad she's out if my life. My worry is will she try it on with me at some point as we share the same friends. One question... did you get the silences? Mine would sometimes be like a wall the lights are on but no on is at home.. What are they thinking about?
Jun 28 - 1AM (Reply to #11)
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

silence

Hmmm...are you saying that when she was in your presence she would get silent? Like when you were talking to her...or she would go away and you just wouldn't hear from her?
Jun 28 - 2PM (Reply to #12)
imabloke
imabloke's picture

Hi loveofmylife

I have posted this weird behavior on the message board and gained a lot of insight.. She would be quite as if she was worried, probably thinking about how to dump me. lol. Thanks for you comment.
Jun 27 - 8AM
aceonelady
aceonelady's picture

imabloke....

Thanks for sharing,i am sorry that you had to go trough this too like all of us here...Your story is wrote very clear and despite its sadness your spirit is high and i am pretty sure you WILL get trough this and will come out even better,because WE are able to recognize and accept what we cannot change ....

Aceonelady

Jun 27 - 12PM (Reply to #2)
imabloke
imabloke's picture

To aceonelady

Thanks for your kind words
Jun 27 - 2PM (Reply to #3)
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

imabloke

Thanks for sharing your story. I think we forget sometimes that there are plenty of men out there suffering from the female N - would that be a femme fatale? I read somewhere that the N is not really intelligent just very practiced. They have been doing this over and over their entire life. They are very good at it. Mine could outwit me without a doubt because he thought in 'gamesmanship' terms. But he could never out debate me because I had truth and intelligence on my side. When he was cornered he would hang up or blow up and storm out. Also, over time I finally figured out that when he went silent, or blank as if he wasn't really there, it was because he was working a new game, a new pursuit and his mind was totally wrapped up in it. Even when he tried to fake it to keep me from suspecting anything, he couldn't do it. My N was all about keeping me and keeping his secret life. It was the perfect win win situation for him especially as he was nearing 50. I hope you will read the info here and on the Sandra Brown site. It made all the difference to me in understanding what had made this so difficult to walk away from as well as the seriousness of what had been done to me. Much strength to you. Welcome.

almostlydia

Jun 27 - 4PM (Reply to #4)
imabloke
imabloke's picture

Hi almostlydia

Thanks for your comments. I mention femme fatale to her when we weer trying to get back together and she new exactly what i was talking about she seemed to revel in it. Ava Gardner was Frank Sinatra's femme fatale and she related to that with glory - a previous lover thought that she was his Ava Gardner. She lives in a fantasy world, like a film and shes the main character. Pathetic... sometimes i felt like telling to bl**dy grow up. Wish i did now.
Jul 2 - 4PM (Reply to #8)
better off
better off's picture

She sounds kinda borderline

She sounds kinda borderline to me.. which is also a Cluster B disorder, so it doesn't really matter. Rotten, that's another good umbrella term.
Jun 28 - 10PM (Reply to #6)
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

imabloke

I found an article recently that was the most concise and most precise definition i have seen to date. take a look - and the writer ( a man) says in his experience he has seen more female N's than male. Imagine that:) http://hubpages.com/hub/Narcissistic-Personality-Disorder-NPD And mine always saw himself as a celebrity. It should have been a serious red flag early on but I had never seen it before and could not understand it. He confused years of living and working in the same city, and therefore knowing and being known by a lot of people as some sort of celebrity status. What normal people thought of as a lifetime of networking, he considered being a celebrity. Amazing the fantasies they have going on in there.

almostlydia

Jun 29 - 12AM (Reply to #7)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Celebrity status

When I congratulated my ex-P on his betrothal (I sensed it),he spoke of it as "private" and part of his "private life"--as if he were some celebrity. Early on, he acted like a model. Though he was a PROFESSOR, he once had his shirt undone all the way to his navel (this was when he was still in shape) He'd wear a beret, skinny jeans, and John Lennon glasses. He thought he was the Bad Boy of philosophy,as some love child of James Dean, Jim Morrison, and Wittgenstein. He was kind of shocked that his fellow professors weren't in awe of him and treated him with reverence. What's ironic is that for a celebrity, his internet presence is nil. He hasn't had his Wittgenstein book published, let alone written. He wanted to be famous for being a philosopher... yet he can't come out with original ideas, the mark of a genuine thinker. He treated me as if I were a fangirl, not a human being.
Jun 27 - 6PM (Reply to #5)
NancyM
NancyM's picture

Hi imabloke

It's great to see guys coming on the board telling their story. Its gives faith to us serial Narc attractors that there are real guys out there. :) But yes it happens to guys as well and I think your story sums it up very well. Actually I recently had the opportunity to help out a guy that was practically being driven to suicide, and just by understanding what he was really dealing with, he has turned his life around. Sounds like you are doing fairly well though, and welcome aboard.

Nevergoback