ACgirl's story

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 24 - 3PM
ACgirl
ACgirl's picture

ACgirl's story

These are amazing stories I am reading and so similar to mine.

I have just realized that this man I have known and been involved with is a N. I happened to be reading about it last week and all of a sudden it hit me that he was one. He is on and off involved with someone else now, but last week he sent me 17 text messages saying he missed me and was dumping this "yet another" fling. When I responded and said okay let's get together, he sent me an email saying he was "planning" on ending it but hadn't yet. What BS and crazy making. He sucked me back in.

My question is....what is the best way to end it? Do I send him an email saying I am done. Or do I wait until the next time he makes contact and just ignore him. I will be honest and say that I want to whatever it is to get back at him in some way.

Sounds awful, but it's honest. He has taken so much energy out of me with his mind games. Hard to believe. This website has been a big wake up call.

Mar 25 - 8AM
The Girlfriend ...
The Girlfriend of Dr Jekyl's picture

No Contact is The Only Thing to Do

ACgirl, Glad you found this website because you will find much support here. I find that although my friends and family are loving and supportive, since they have not had a relationship with a pathological like a Narcissist or Psychopath...they have a limited understanding of your experience and feelings...which is particular and different in this situation. Most of the gals & a few fellas here are able to support each other as we have very similar stories to tell. That's because pathologicals have certain common traits and behaviors which identifies them as to 'what' and 'who' they really are. I know that being NC is the very best way to deal with these psychos. It is difficult, but eventually when you are able to do it, hopefully you will feel much better and begin to see things more clearly. There was someting in one of your posts that concerned me, about when you mentioned that last year you tried to do the NC thing and he became verbally abusive...In my experience, I had been NC for a period of 3 months...and was feeling enormously bettter, happier...regaining my insight and self respect/dignity...I shut out all his emails, phone calls, any type of correspondence... ...and sometimes an 'N' will go away after this...because they get no more supply (which is what they are looking for, whether positive or negative)...but sometimes a pathological like mine becomes very angry...and will become abusive, stalk you, rage, leave nasty messages...and cause you to feel threatened. (like mine did to me, as he has a history of violence...and is MORE that just an 'N'). Perhaps you should check out your pathological guy's history and that way when you go NC you will be more aware and prepared for this type of behavior and protect yourself. After alot of intimidation, harrassment and scaring me (my BF was SO angry that I could leave him and not communicate with him at all)...none of his tactics like this worked with me...I was in touch with the police (he has a record I didn't know about and his family played a part in concealing this fact from me and others) It actually made it easier to remain NC when he was angry as I didn't want to be anywhere near him...and he was no longer the 'Prince Charming' he had pretended to be at the beginning of our relationship. Also, be prepared for when he puts his 'mask' back on and pretends to be the 'great guy' you fell for in the beginning. I personally have had the hardest time, when he would 'pour on the Charm' and do the 'hoover & honeymoon' type of manipulations. He used this later when his intimidation and anger/abuse got him nowhere! I was vulnerable...and I regret that I am at sqaure one and now have to carefully plan my escape and going NC again....by moving far away from him. Sometimes these guys have a fixation in their minds that YOU are their 'property'...even when they lie and cheat all over the place...in their weird way of thinking 'you belong' to them...so I just hope you will be careful in case yours is like that. My Psychopath 'N' BF has a history of violence and arrests that he was able to hide from me for most of our relationship (among other things)...he appears to be such a classy professional 'great guy'...(his brother is a Reporter for the Local News here in the province where I live and his family seems so nice)...you never know with these guys. Just wanted you to be aware that if yours tends to lean towards using intimidation as a manipulative tactic, when you go NC, you might need to take more protective measures...change your numbers, inform your friends and family he is being verbally 'nasty' and is angry, and perhaps even file harassment charges or get a restraining order. Sometimes it takes some preparation to be ready for NO CONTACT with some of these guys who are especially persisitant and determined not to let you go. In my case I have found that not all of them readily or easily leave you alone...mine lied, cheated and has women lined up all over the place...and STILL told me that if I ever leave him again he would 'hunt me down'...and that I 'better not ever insult him like that again' by leaving and refusing to communicate with him. After being a witness to his rages and moments of violence...he does scare me...which is why I have been making my plans to leave and be NC much more carefully this time.
Mar 24 - 8PM
foolmeonce
foolmeonce's picture

They never change

The absolute hardest thing to accept is that they will never change. The problem is they say all the right things, they tell you how sorry they are, they were so wrong, they love you so much, they would die without you, they miss you so much, etc. - but their actions speak louder than words. They do the minimal amount to "maintain" the relationship. Once they are out of the idealizing stage, they get really lazy. They don't want to have to deal with your frustrations about them and the relationship - they want to maintain the status quo but with as little attention as is required. If you believe him and give him another chance, your just taking another spin on the merry-go-round. It never stops. Everyone eventually gets to the point where they realize the person is pathological and cannot change. Why waste any more of your precious life waiting for something that will NEVER happen. They don't change - they can't. Don't worry if he moves on - the next one will get the same thing. You didn't lose a relationship - you lost part of yourself and it's time to start working on getting that back - and it will not happen if you continue to go down a dead end.
Mar 24 - 6PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Welcome ACgirl

Welcome... get into therapy with a TRAUMA COUNSELOR asap! - PLEASE go through ALL the pages on 'Message Board' as I have loaded it with articles and your questions have probably already been asked and answered many many times. Click through the pages and read what interests you. You'll get up to speed and learn a LOT. - PLEASE read the stories of others on SHARE YOUR STORY. This alone is one of the most validating things you can do! Far too many become completely wrapped up in their own drama... which just makes it all worse. It will also help you see the pattern of their INCURABLE PATHOLOGY. Your story is very very common. - PLEASE read through our whole blog: http://www.lisaescott.com/blog - chock full of articles about Ns and healing Please read all the Rules prior to posting, as well - listen to our free radio show - archived at: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim Remember this board is NEVER to be used as a replacement for therapy. Please find a therapist and start going as SOON as possible for whatever level of PTSD she's left you with!! BLOCK HER EMAILS, IMs and TEXTS change your phone & cell numbers NO CONTACT! AGAIN -- Get to a PTSD/ trauma counselor ASAP... Healing takes a MINIMUM of 18 months (with TOTAL NC) and you will need support & help from a professional. Please get it ASAP. Do not date before 18 months has passed! ~~~~~~~~~ The world is a dangerous place, not only because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein Visit My Info. Website for Abuse Victims
Mar 24 - 4PM
seancunningham
seancunningham's picture

Don't Believe Him

Hi ACgirl!! Don't take him back under any circumstances. He will see this as weakness and will give you a double dose of his sickness. They are vindictive. He will retaliate, because you abandoned him. DO NOT BACK DOWN. He won't change. He sees you as the problem....not himself. N's see themselves as God Almighty! They have no faults or flaws. If you take him back, you will never hear the end of it...how you made his life difficult. Everything they say is backward. Do yourself a favor...Move on. He's not worth it. You can do much better. They are ALL great actors. Be Strong, Sean
Mar 24 - 4PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

the best way?

Do not write, text or anything else. INSTITUTE IMMEDIATE NO CONTACT: http://www.lisaescott.com/2009/12/22/what-no-contact-means when you get a chance be sure to post your whole story!
Mar 24 - 3PM
seancunningham
seancunningham's picture

Hi ACgirl!!

Your best solution is to institute No Contact. This means delete his texts, emails and erase all phone messages. Don't answer...IGNORE. This will be the loudest silence he hears. Do this for yourself. It's the best revenge you can do....without having to see him or talk to him. They get off on aggravating and demeaning us. Don't get sucked in. Disappear off his radar. It will drive him nuts wondering what happened to you. You will begin to heal, and NO CONTACT or NC as we call it here, will empower you and YOU will be taking control. You will find that your thoughts will focus on you and not him. You need this alone time to get your strength back! Wishing you the best, Sean
Mar 24 - 4PM (Reply to #10)
ACgirl
ACgirl's picture

Saying Goodbye to the N

Thank you so much Sean for responding to my question. That is what I will do the next time I hear from him. It has been such a struggle because I get caught between my feelings for him still, and when he writes to me he always sounds so pleading for me. But after reading everyone's stories I now see the pattern. I can't believe I lowered my standards and boundaries. I can't believe I put up with all of this. He has lied to me so many times, and I always took him back. I was such a fool. I can't tell you how grateful I am for people like you who take the time to respond and for this wonderful website. My self esteem went out the window these last two years. All the women he cheated on with me with didn't have good careers like I do, and seemed less than me, yet he ran off with them, so I always felt like I wasn't good enough. I couldn't make sense of his hot and cold. One day he would talk about marriage and forever, then the next week, he would disappear (only for me to find out later he was with someone else). I would try to make sense of it, but I couldn't. I had no idea what I was dealing with until now. I have spent so much time this past week trying to read as much as I can about narcissists. It has helped a great deal. I will take your advice. No contact. And I will keep you posted the next time he reaches out. It's funny, but it does feel like getting over a drug of some kind. Isn't that strange?
Mar 24 - 4PM (Reply to #2)
ForeverLearning
ForeverLearning's picture

Yes, Sean Is Right

It will drive him NUTS not hearing from you, believe us! I wouldn't be surprised if he comes knocking on your door when you stop answering the texts, calls and e-mails. So expect this could happen. Don't open the door. If he gives you trouble or acts threating in any way, don't hesitate to get a restraining order. Keep any threatening emails, voicemails, notes, etc to hand over to police as evidence (copies for yourself are helpful to keep on file to give to other police departments as necessary - I speak from experience on that one). Document everything in case you have to make a court case against him at some point. They get really weird sometimes when they are ignored. HATEFUL. But hopefully he will just move on to the next victim, God help her. All the best to you and keep reading around here to learn all you can to educate yourself and others about these terrible, and INCURABLE, Personality Disorders, including "Narcissistic Personality Disorder". God bless you.
Mar 24 - 4PM (Reply to #3)
ACgirl
ACgirl's picture

Saying Goodbye to the N

Thank you Foreverlearning. I feel like crying, but in a good way because I can feel the support of all of you. God bless you all for helping me. I am getting my strength because of you. I ignored him once last year. I deleted him from my email account and told him to contact my business manager if he had anything to say to me, and you are right, he got nasty verbally. I will be prepared. I know this sounds like a stupid question, but if he begs me to contact him and says he will change, I shouldn't believe him right? This is all so new to me.
Mar 26 - 1PM (Reply to #9)
dysenchanted
dysenchanted's picture

ACgirl

You wrote: " I know this sounds like a stupid question, but if he begs me to contact him and says he will change, I shouldn't believe him right? This is all so new to me." It's not at all stupid. No- you should not believe him. ALL he wants from you is supply. If he reels you back in and then hurts you again-that's supply. If you respond to his emails or calls, even to tell him he's scum-that's supply. Any attention what so ever is N supply. Ignore, ignore, ignore. HE WILL NEVER CHANGE. Heal and care for yourself and let him fade into history.
Mar 24 - 8PM (Reply to #4)
ForeverLearning

Spend An Hour Here Reading, Every Day

I know you are overwhelmed and confused right now. We have all been there. Hormones and emotions along with all the weird & confusing things they say & do, make it all very confusing. But with all the cheating he has done to you, I think you know in your heart he is bad news and will continue his dishonest unfaithful ways and you will be very very hurt in the long run. Get away now, it's easier now than several years from now with kids involved. Follow Barbara's advice and hang around here for support. Don't believe the lies. he won't change, he has a Personality Disorder.
Mar 27 - 1AM (Reply to #8)
ACgirl
ACgirl's picture

You guys are right!! He's already tried to contact me

I am now fully in the no contact phase. So wild. For the first time I am looking at this clinically. He texted me yesterday just asking me if..."I was around". How lame. Then he texted me again today saying that I didn't respond and that he was leaving town and hoped we would "connect" soon. I hate to admit I am enjoying ignoring him. Two weeks ago (before I found this website) I sent him an email and he didn't respond. Yet, if I don't respond to him within 24 hours it gets him annoyed?? What an N he is!! I am taking everyone's advice here and go to this website every night and read, read, read. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. I can't believe none of my friends knew about what an N was. I can't believe that I didn't know this before. He has EVERY red flag of a N. Just like I have read here, the first 5 months we were together were amazing. Then he started to cheat, but always said he "loved me". It drove me crazy. I started to doubt myself in every way. I have a great career and I have been told I am nice looking, and yet, he always lied and cheated, but told me that "I was too controlling"??? Wow. I lost so much self esteem. The other women he cheated on me with didn't have a good career and he told me that he trusted me because he knew I wasn't after his money. How cheap a thing to say. And yes, he had money but was so cheap. In all the time I was with him, he only got me something expensive once, and that was something that cost $200. No flowers, no jewelry, nothing. But for himself, he would spend a lot of money. He said he didn't know what to get me because I had money. Okay, that's original. A few times when we went out to dinner he asked me if I wanted to "share" a meal with him. What?? OMG and I kept dating him?? What was I thinking? A lot of times I paid for dinner because I thought I should and sometimes when we would go out he would "forget" his wallet. I thought he was absent minded, but my friends said he did that on purpose. At the time, I didn't believe them. But now...I know they were right. Anyway, I will keep you posted. But I am hanging tough. I will sometime this weekend write my whole story. The lies he told were unbelievable and yet, I believed him. You guys wont believe, actually you will, some of the lies he told. What is more unbelievable is that I believed him. He spoke about God a lot and the Bible. I am also very religious, so I thought he would be honest. Wow. Was I wrong. This website had done so much good for me. And all of you writing in your stories has been amazing. It is saving my life. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. We all belong to a club we didn't really want to be in, but at least now, it is a club that will save us. ACgirl.
Mar 24 - 8PM (Reply to #5)
Amazed
Amazed's picture

Great, educated advice foreverlearning

"Don't believe the lies. He won't change, he has a Personality Disorder" That is deep. Still trying to get that, and your comment helped solidify that for me,,,
Mar 24 - 9PM (Reply to #7)
ForeverLearning

I Struggle Every Day Too

The advice I give, of reading everyday around here, is the very same advice I give myself, that I give anyone else - because I have read too much by now, to ever go back to being naive and uninformed again. I know too much now. I am no longer such a dumb cluck as I was in my 20's and 30's. Even if someone doesn't have "Narcissistic Personality Disorder" specifically, there are thousands of variations of assholes out there breaking women's heart with lies and abuse. I don't care what particular label we slap on them. Assholes are assholes - they never grew up, they are spoiled selfish brats, bullies, and they enjoy abusing their girlfriends/wives. After 14 years of experiencing "gaslighting" first hand from my husband, and after I developed cancer from the stress of feeling insane, and after seeing 3 of my close friends live with various forms of the same bullsh*t in their relationships (for up to 30 years in one case), and seeing the men in all 3 of those cases dying and going to their grave as lying abusive cheating mean assholes to their wives, these men never changed, just became better liars over time - I finally know that most of these guys will never change, they just get better and better at lying. I had to learn for myself, with my own 2 eyes, watching my life unfold and my friends lives unfold, to see how these liars never change, and actually die having never changed into decent, honest men. Whatever their 'core' problem is, it doesn't ever really change. Their brains are broken. The kids are always the biggest losers in the whole mess. All the best to you.
Mar 24 - 8PM (Reply to #6)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

even more important...

he is NOT HUMAN. ~~~~~~~~~ The world is a dangerous place, not only because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. - Albert Einstein Visit My Info. Website for Abuse Victims