Need some support

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 20 - 5PM
finallydone
finallydone's picture

Need some support

I'm crying again. WHY am I crying???? He is actually taking out the last of his stuff. SHouldn't I feel relieved? Shouldn't I feel that the pressure is off - almost off? Wasn't I supposed to feel like this is cause for celebration?

There are days I am so angry about his behavior. And other days I feel pretty good and not worried about it... but every single night I have dreams and nightmares. Every day I wake up and get through the day. But regardless of how well or how badly I handle the day.... I feel completely disconnected from life. Like I don't belong anywhere. Like I'm now watching the whole thing as if it were just a movie and I'm not really there. My son goes to see his dad for a week tomorrow and when I come home nobody will be there and nobody will even care or know if I get there.

I read other people's storied and even talked to my neighbor a lot today (who was having the garage sale). She had a textbook N for an ex-husband - totally controlling high power doctor who wanted dinner on the table or threw plates across the floor and then did get violent with her when she left him. Then she hooked up with a cheating miserable SOB after that and was with him for 5 years - went single for three years and has now met somebody who makes her happy. So far... and I think there's hope.

But right now... right this second... I am scared to death adn can't figure out how I can sometimes still feel like I love him so much and he doesn't seem to care. He is whistling while he is moving boxes out of the house. But last night he seemed so downtrodden. I am never going to see him again and I loved him more than I have ever loved anybody. I really did. And then I sit and think, "What have I done? Was he really that bad?" And so I come back here and go through checklists, I remember sitting in parking lots with a pounding heart and calling friends in tears because of the horrible things he said to me. I think about trying to get ready for work and him demanding I talk to him and telling me "F that job!" Being woken up at 4:30 in the morning and trying to talk him down from whatever thing he was so upset about and being totally consumed by this relationship. Every trip ruined, every holiday, all my birthdays.... When he threatned to tell my son "what an A--- hole his father was." and having to leave work to get home before my son did because I was afraid he would say horrible things to him. And he never did... he just threatened me with it because he was mad at me for something or other. And then threatening to leave me over and over again when he couldn't get his way. Telling me I was psychotic and had to get professional help or he would leave me... and I actually did. But I ended up talking to the therapist about emotional and verbal abuse. When I told him he had to get help for his temper or I couldn't stay in... he first made excuses about money and then just avoided the topic altogether. Finally coming to... "I realize you think I have behavioral problems.... but I think I'm a pretty good guy when I add it all up."

All these things count don't they? This was very bad behavior right? To always wonder when the next shoe would drop. To have heart palpitations when he got up too early in the morning because I had learned that this was never ever a good thing.

I sometimes think it is me. I have a lot of friends, I get along with my family, I have a kind hearted son, I am respected at a job I've been at for about 10 years and I am halfway to a Masters Degree. I know that I am technically intelligent and am definitely compassionate and am not unattractive.... but I feel like I just couldn't measure up. No matter how hard I tried... he just kept finding fault and said horrible horrible things. And when I couldn't take anymore... I would say horrible things back to him.

And now that he's actually going to leave... and I know it's the right thing.... I am scared to death and feel rejected and am still wondering how he can walk away like this when his life is so much better than when he showed up?

I'm trying to make sense of all these conflicting emotions and the best thing I can come up with is that I desperately want off this emotional roller coaster.... but I really wanted to fix it rather than end it... and that was never going to happen was it? I could have stayed in this for the rest of my life and just regretted that much more. It's actually easier when he's being mean... because I don't start to feel sad. When I can stay mad at him... I don't regret it when he walks out the door.

I'm 41 years old and I don't think I'll ever trust another man again as long as I live. I don't see how I can. And that sounds very lonely for a very long time. I wish I could just fast forward through all this pain.

Jun 21 - 7PM
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Finallydone

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. This is the hardest part and you're almost there. I know what you mean about loving him so much. Ending a relationship with someone you love is so unbelievabley difficult. It's gut-wrenching. I loved my ex-husband so much, but knew he had given me no other choice. Always good to refer to your journal when you're questioning yourself. You can read and remind yourself of exactly why you are getting out. In the midst of it all it's hard to see clearly and I questioned my decision to leave numerous, numerous times. It's only human nature. Allow yourself to grieve right now and cry. It's good to get it out of your system. It's going to be painful for awhile, but remember "This too shall pass" and you will be so much happier. Big Hugs, Lisa
Jun 20 - 7PM
Suzie (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

things will be ok

I know it doesn't seem like it but things will be ok. I am here if you want to talk. I finally figured out facebook. Under Leah Watkins.
Jun 20 - 8PM (Reply to #5)
RenewD
RenewD's picture

Leah!

There's a bunch of leah watkins! find my email address and friend request me PLEASE?! ~Denise~
Jun 20 - 6PM
Amy
Amy's picture

Finallydone

I think all of us understand what you you are going through. Whenever you feel like you miss him, remember the nastiest things he ever said and did to you. Do you want to repeat that? Because it WILL happen again. And again and again.... This is for the best. Spend time with girl friends. Do things for yourself. It's no longer about him. It's all about you. Enjoy the time to yourself. Amy :-)
Jun 20 - 5PM
RenewD
RenewD's picture

finallydone...

aww man. I feel for you. I know how you are feeling. I know that doesn't make it better but, I think most of us have been where you are. Your life is just beginning...now that he's finally going to be gone...it's starting, this is your chance to finally live. With no one around to keep bringing you down, you'll pick yourself up and stay there. There are people who care...we most certainly do. I've never met you, and I may never in person, but....I DO CARE. You're facing the finality of the relationship, and I'm sure he has an air about him of guilt as you watch him take the last of his things...but it is just a manipulation...you DO NOT need him. And you're such an amazing woman, I know there must be others in your life who care what's going on with you...and there will be so many more. A person like you deserves to feel good with the people you surround yourself with. Not bad. And those good people will come around more that he's gone... ~Denise~
Jun 20 - 5PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

finallydone

crying is cleansing. It's ok. Really. TOMORROW CHANGE THE LOCKS. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/