Reaility TV and Narcissism

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 11 - 8AM
finallydone
finallydone's picture

Reaility TV and Narcissism

Okay... I made a comment the other day about believing that this reality junk tv is part of the problem we're having with narcissism. Then, I'm driving into work this morning listening to GMA on the radio... and they do a story on a new show called "Shark Tank" all about a bunch of people trying to get rich people to give them all kinds of money for their brilliant ideas.

Now, we're an entrepreneurial nation... nothing wrong with going after your dreams and starting businesses, etc.

But I think the title alone "Shark Tank" and the comments I was hearing from the clips... bunch of obnoxious NARCISSISTS. So that's my point. We're doing television shows about self-involved, self-absorbed, manipulative jerks everywhere you turn. A whole generation is being groomed to behave in exactly this way. I would love to find groups or start groups to start fighting against this.

I am a very liberal minded, left-winged, compassionate person (not trying to ruffle any political feathers here) and I do not on any level believe in censorship. However, I do believe in media respnnsibility and understanding the power they possess with an entire nation of minds and hearts. There should be more education on this from a cultural perspective also. It's all about looks, money and power... and how much you can "stick it" to somebody.

That's my personal rant. Sorry about that and hope I'm not offending anybody.

Jun 20 - 12PM
Carolyn
Carolyn's picture

Take a look at the soap

Take a look at the soap operas they are all about narcissists and their victims.
Jun 17 - 11PM
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Finallydone - Reality TV Breeds Narcissism!!!

I'm catching up on the board after taking some vacation time. I could not agree with you more on this one, Finallydone. In fact, we just discussed this very topic on tonight's blog radio show. Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt's recent behavior on the Today show is finally bringing some attention to narcissism. People are finally starting to talk more about what narcissism really is and how reality tv breeds narcissism. I would totally join you in a group to fight against this type of programming. I know it sounds dramatic, but it's really hurting our youth. It teaches them all the wrong values.
Jun 18 - 9AM (Reply to #4)
finallydone
finallydone's picture

Love it!

I have been trying to figure out for years how to bring more attention to how damanging and irresponsible the media is and what the focus has become. Not only do women not realize how much focus is flashed at us in commercials and shows on how to be younger, sexier, more make-up, don't age... etc. But the reality shows have gotten so base and mindless that people are not even recongizing what true talent is. We should have role models and we're learning to be so focused and caught up int he dramas of people who have nothing to contribute but bad behavior and self-absorbtion, that it is breeding and multiplying very narcissistic behavior. The culture is completely caught up in it and they don't have any idea. I am not at all in favor of censorship... as I've indicated previously I am a very liberal minded individual. However, I am in favor of responsibility and being careful where individual and collective focus and value are placed. We all have a right to our own personal values and "pursuit of happiness" if you will... but I think the American culture really needs to pay some attention to what is evolving. I would LOVE to talk to you more about this Lisa!
Jun 18 - 12PM (Reply to #5)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Reality TV Bites!

http://www.brenebrown.com/reality-tv-bites/ Personally, we need to take action to get some of this JUNK off television.
Jun 18 - 12AM (Reply to #3)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Lisa's Blog Talk Radio Show on Reality TV

Lisa talks about this on tonight's show: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/allabouthim/2009/06/18/All-About-Him-Understanding-the-Narcissist-in-Your-Life
Jun 11 - 9AM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

I have to agree

everything is like a long-version of the Jerry Springer show it's disgusting and personally, unwatchable. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/