past weekend visitation

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 27 - 9PM
malloryforest
malloryforest's picture

past weekend visitation

Last weekend, STBXNH came to visit kids. We live across country from him. When he visits he uses my house during the day and I leave. I do this for the kids. They around familiar setting, have toys, books, etc. At night, he goes to hotel. THe first day, he watched a car race for three hours upstairs in my bedroom, and the kids sat on the bed or played on the floor next to the bed while he watched TV. When I got home in the afternoon, he then takes the kids outside to do something. Race is over. At night, he wants to leave early to go back to hotel because another car race is on tv. He takes one of my sons back to the hotel. At eleven at night, I get a call from STBXNH that he is dropping off our son, because son is crying and wants to be home with mom. My husband drops him off, told me he gave him the silent treatment in the car on the way back home, and then does not say good bye to son. Mind you, he is five. The next day, STBXNH does not show up to our house to see kids until one in the afternoon. I take off to do some erands, and when I get back, he is upstairs again, with the boys watching another car race!!!!

Once I am home, and he has an audience, he starts playing super dad again. He cooks dinner, and plays with the kids. I don't leave because the boys ask me not to.

Question...When is enough enough? Do I have to keep on supporting this relationship with father? Is it in the best interest of children to have a relationship with father? I am so confused. I know I need no contact with the man, but what about the kids? Everyone tells me that I need to support their relationship[ with their father....

May 28 - 11AM
Suzie (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Malloyforest-one problem w/this,,,

I am an adult child of this kind of father. I have no advice to give you because it is confusing to me too. All I can tell you is my experiance. My mom did everything to keep my dad involved in my life. She rearanged her plans on weekends, holidays, whenever just so that we could see our dad. But evan after doing all that, he would often cancel or just not show up. I know she didn't mean too, but what she was doing was making my relationship with my dad more important than it actually was. If she would have just let things occur naturaly and not accomidate him so much he would have drifted away. Because he is selfish and the hard truthe is that he really dindn't(couldn't????) love us that much. By constantly trying to keep this "fairy-tale" relationship in place what she did is teach me to do the same thing. I can't tell you how many times I would cancel plans with my friends,sleep overs, parties, fun times. Only to be sitting out at the end of the driveway on my suitcase at 7:oo am on a sat. because he called and said"Dads coming early!!be out there waiting so I don't have to knock on the door and deal with your mom". pack some clothes cause your going to stay with dad for a while". I would sit there for hours waiting. My mom would bring me out food and drinks because I was afraid to come in. I thought he might come and not see me and I would miss him. Friends would come by and want to play but I wouldn't. I didn't know at the time but my mom would call and he wouldn't answer and when he did they would argue and he would tell her it was her fault he wasn't coming around because she is the one who wanted to get divorced. I would finally give up around 12 or 1 and go in my room and cry and cry. And when he did show up, a lot of times he would take me back to his apartment and leave me there with my little brother alone while him and my stepmother went shopping or whatever. We would leave our friends where we lived only to sit there lonely. We loved him very much. But it was my mom who kept pushing to make this relationship happen. She so badly didn't want her choice to get out of a bad relationship to cost us our father. But the truth is he was never ours. Never hers. He was detached all along. He was just a shape shifter. And when he wasn't getting what he wanted from her he moved on. Blaming her all the way. All my mom did(unknowingly)was prolong the enevitable. Where is my dad today?? In his own little narcissistic world. If you were to ask him if he abandoned us he would say. "No. I was always there. All they had to do is call and dad would be there" I know it is hard when you are trying to give your kids everything to make them happy and whole people. And the most important thing(so it seems),is a good healthy relationship with their dad and thats the one thing you can't do anything about. And the truth is no matter what hoops you jump through to keep him comming around. If and when he is ready to bail. He will and it wil be "all your fault". I have cried many tears and stayed in horrible abuse for way too long because I so desparatly did not want my kids to go through this. I have lived with things no one could have taken. Because I knew the truth. Once he is through with you. He is through with them. Unless he wants to use them to hurt you. They make great ponds in his game. The truth sucks but nothing can prevent them from knowing it in time. And it hurts when you are older and realize you have been living a lie. And he is not who you thought he was. As bad as it would have hurt for him to go away sooner I still wish I would have known the truth all along. As soon as you know the truth you can start healing. Thats all I am saying.Leah
May 28 - 12PM (Reply to #8)
malloryforest
malloryforest's picture

Leah

Thank you for sharing your story. At this point, he seems to not want to dwindle out of their lives, but we will see. Part of him used hte kids, when he still thought he could get me back. Now that he knows I want nothing to do with him, he is eager to bring the kids back for visitations at our old house and introduce GF into their lives. I can't stand the idea of the kids going back to our old house to find another woman living there with her three daughters. Talk about feeling replaced from their point of view. Right now the boys give daddy a great source of Narcissistic supply. Daddy like to be with them for the supply. It became obvious to me what will happen when they don't give him the supply. When my son wanted to come home from hotel and be with mommy....daddy gave the little kid the silent treatment on the ride home, left our son at the front door, and would not say goodbye, and then didn't show up the following day until the afternoon. the courts, judges, lawyers, all say that it is my job as a good parent to encourage this relationship. I hear that, and I understand that, but sometimes I really question this philosophy.
May 31 - 5PM (Reply to #10)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

they are full of it

the courts, judges, lawyers, all say that it is my job as a good parent to encourage this relationship. I hear that, and I understand that, but sometimes I really question this philosophy. Not your job to turn him into a human being mallory. Your job is be the mother these kids need. Period.
May 28 - 3PM (Reply to #9)
Fawn
Fawn's picture

Who's Your Daddy

This is a great topic Leah, thanks for sharing your experience with us from the viewpoint of the child in this situation. Mallory, your attorney is telling you what she has to during the trial. It is very important that it appears that you are going by the book with visitation and that you will not discourage the children from having a relationship with their father. This will serve you well in court. That being said. You know, the judge knows, and your attorney knows that your job is to keep your boys safe. It is a very difficult line to walk, especially with little ones. I am watching a situation very much like the one Leah described unfold with my two older children. I can't believe how UNINTERESTED and even hostile the N is to our 14-year-old daughter. She is not giving him any narcissistic supply, quite the opposite actually. She wants nothing to do with him and he punishes her in cruel ways by making her dependent on him for a ride to school and then pulling the rug out from under her saying that he can't take her. He promises her things and then doesn't come through ALL the time. She is really disgusted with him and says that she wishes he "would just go away." He isn't parenting her, and she knows it. she says that when she does go to his apartment, he wants her to be the Mom. sick. I am trying to support her and give her a voice, but at the same time my attorney is telling me that I have to make her go to visitation with him. I have a court date coming up at the end of August and I am asking for daytime visitation only. My son is in a tough spot. He doesn't give my husband a whole lot of narcissistic supply because he is very mellow and laid back. He has SOOOO much more integrity and kindess in his heart than his dad does. It is amazing. He is trying to get involved in some of the activities that his dad is into, just to spend time with him. I am letting him go, within reason. I know that he will be crushed, but I feel like it is important that my son figures it out for himself. My five-year-old is very appealing to the N, because she still kind of adores him, but she is very, very confused. She can hold her own, being the youngest of three. She is very vocal and smart as a whip. She is old enough to tell me what happens at dad's house, and I hear her pretending in her room with her dolls and she is working it out somehow. It is so hard to watch our children go through the pain of figuring out what a deadbeat dad they have. Children are smart. I have seen it time and time again that they eventually figure out the truth. Secrets and pretending don't help, but neither does badmouthing and being the eternal victim. I tell my children all the time that I am going to be okay, that we are all going to go on and live happy lives. That he hasn't ruined my life, that cancer hasn't ruined my life. We have been through a lot as a family, the kids and I. It is so strange how it has ended up that they are my biggest supporters. They were through my breast cancer treatment and through the deaths of both of my parents, and for sure through this sucky divorce process. I really bought the myth that we had this happy little family with a daddy and mommy and three kids. I don't think that my older kids ever really did, and they were very bothered by all of the fighting and the abuse. I feel like I did them a huge service by getting out of that situation. They need to know that it isn't acceptable to be treated like that by anyone. We deserve better. Hang in there Mallory, it will get better. Keep it to the scheduled visitation, don't stay at your house when he is there, but have a stand-in if you can. That is a great idea, by the way. As your boys get older, they will see the difference between Mom's house and Dad's house. They will come to you for safety and security, and the N will lose interest in them as they get older. I have a friend who was married to an N, they have 2 daughters cheated, divorced. Total Rat. Married the other woman pretty quickly and moved in with her. (She was married too with 3 kids. Now the N is living in suburbia with the other woman, she doesn't have a job, he didn't have a job until recently. Other woman gave up her alimony to marry him. STUPID! They couldn't pay their mortgage. He had to take a job out of state--I smell another affair coming on. The other woman has to live with the fact that she married a cheater. He cheated with her, she knows what a good liar and pretender he is. She will never have any peace. And, as time marches on, in only a few short years they will have a whole slew of angry, smartass teenagers, five of them to be exact. Their lives are going to be HELLLLLLLLLLLLL! They have two kids in the sixth grade, two in the fifth, and one in the second. Four girls and one boy, who is the oldest. They are making their own bed, just like your dumbass husband is. You don't watch car races with your small children and expect them to want to have a relationship with you when they are older.
May 28 - 9AM
Carolyn
Carolyn's picture

You need to support your

You need to support your children's relationship with their father if they had one. they don't. Just putting a man in a room watching car racing with his children sounds pretty shallow. It isn't interactive, it is boring for a 5 year old, it is forced, artificial, causes negative emotions and crying, and the father obviously doesn't like it either. Why not just let it 'drift' away. Nobody gets anything out of this and you get the fallout of yet another bad experience with dear old dad. I don't think this is good for attachments in the future for your children. It isn't possible for you to control your ex's behavior, your children deserve better treatment, and you don't want them to act out with other people because they were forced into weird time with their father. Don't discourage anything in the beginning, but try to have excuses to avoid the 'quality time with Dad and the races, just keep putting the visits farther and farther apart and they will just drift away without drama and conflict. Kids have lives too and to put their activities on hold so they can watch races on tv with someone they don't feel too good about sounds like a violation of their rights. You are confused because you are trying to do the 'right thing'but with the 'wrong guy'. Take care of yourself and your sons and let dear old dad go off to the races on his own which is what he wants anyway.
May 27 - 10PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

mallory

limit access!! SUPERVISED VISITATION.
May 27 - 10PM
neveragain
neveragain's picture

Substitute

Malloryforest: I completely understand your dilemma. Should you continue to Play Nice and act like everything's fine...while you are subjecting yourself (and your children) to a manipulative, false situation? OR, do you completely withdraw (and face perhaps legal prosecution) run away and hide? Well, you can kind of do both: You can ACT like you're complying with whatever legal binding visitation entails but you can also either ask a friend to be there in your place or HIRE someone to do it. Seriously consider having a substitute. It will limit his ACTING (like he's on a stage with costumes and props) and appearing to be the doting dad when it's obvious that he's really more interested in his car races. So, he won't have to ACT around the substitute. Is there a friend that your children like that can help you??????
May 27 - 10PM (Reply to #2)
malloryforest
malloryforest's picture

neveragain

I can have someone stand in for me, but what about the kids? Is it best for them to have relationship with this sick man, or is it better for me to try to totally limit any access he has to them?
May 27 - 11PM (Reply to #3)
neveragain
neveragain's picture

Limits (Within the Law)

Set limits! Definitely. The "relationship" they'll have with him will be distorted. However, children are smart. They KNOW when adults are behaving badly. The law can intervene only when the children are put in a "dangerous" situation. You can monitor the visits through someone else's eyes and indeed, limit your STBXN's access to them in a very crafty way. If they are actors, well, guess what? YOU are NOW an actress!!! Seriously....start writing the "script" if you will without showing any overt manipulation. My daughter had to have visitations with her dad. It killed me but I employed every brain cell in my head to counteract the negative effects. I would scope out the lay of the land for their visits and show her the "safe place" I would be waiting. I would then meet him and act like I was leaving but would go to the "safe place". She could then decide when she'd had enough of him and meet me there. I could then DOCUMENT everything. It worked very well. When he was in a house environment, I made sure another adult I trusted was there and I'd LEAVE. I wouldn't come back until he was gone. Eventually, as she got older, and turned 12, I figured, "Well, she's 12, so if the court wants to enforce this "visitation" (hell), so be it. She can testify what she thinks." My N was actually pretty lazy and his posturing was all an act. He was too lazy to pursue things BY THEN. Your children are smart and can read this better than you know.
May 28 - 1AM (Reply to #4)
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Great advice, Neveragain!

This is great advice. What a good idea to give your daughter a "safe place' to come to if she wanted or needed to get away. Brilliant idea!