11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 23 - 6PM
Elena
Elena's picture

Saying "Sorry"

This is good, it came out of one of Barbara's links:

"Saying sorry"

Just because he never believes he could possibly be wrong does not mean that the narcissist never apologises. He is capable of every kind of display of remorse imaginable, from tossing out a sarcastic or casual, "I'm sorry" right through to crying and pleading with you like a devastated child.

With most abusers and particularly with narcissists, this is not a real apology, no matter how remorseful he may seem. It is a means to an end and no more.

What it really means is, "let's pretend this never happened so that I can do it to you again".

One of the talents that children of narcissists in particular tend to develop, is the ability to see what is really being done and hear what is really being said. We have spent our entire lives dodging the bullets and sheer survival has forced us to expend a lot of energy in trying to identify them before they hit. We can never dodge them, but we're a bunch of real die-hards who never stop trying. We just need to learn to trust our gut. - If it feels insincere, then it is. If it feels unbelievable, then don't believe it.

Our downfall however is that we are hopeless dreamers. We believe in fairy tales and a narcissistic parent is the biggest fairy tale you can get. We keep wanting desperately to believe.

A partner of a narcissist is not much different. You want so much to believe them because if you have to admit to yourself that it is all a lie, the dream will be shattered. The dream is all you've ever had. If that dies, you fear your very soul dying too.

The reality is that your soul won't die. The dream will. Some of your innocence and gullibility will, but so will the conflicts, the deception, the games, the vulnerability and the constantly recurring pain.

Every time that you believe his empty sorry, you are giving him permission to continue.

If you really want to give the relationship an honest chance, accepting his sorry should have conditions attached: - get professional help, stick with the programme and achieve a real change in attitude that reflects in behaviours.

If you demand or accept any less than this, you're going to keep living through the same old nightmare over and over again.

My personal experience:

I remember my ex-narcissist's shallow "I'm sorry's". Most of the time, he would say "I'm sorry", and his facial expressions only showed anger and hatred. I would tell him -"If you're sorry, please tell that to your facial expressions", so you can show that you are really sorry. The truth is he was not really sorry, and I chose to believe him even though I saw the forrest by the trees. I saw it in that his behavior never changed.

A few times he even cried in front of me, one of the last times he did this, it was such a loud cry that it really sounded fake, even at the moment, when I didn't know anything about narcissism, it sounded like an "act". I remember thinking: "Wow, that sounded like it's not real!"

From what I experienced, these "I'm sorry's" are just acts to buy themselves time, in the meantime that they find a "better supply" for their needs. Because they really don't like to be without supply, they are addicts of it. So they will do whatever it takes to have an uninterrupted flow of supply at all times.

May 29 - 3PM
Amanda1221 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Hmmm.

Sorry is like the most common word my N uses. Matter of fact he randomly texted me yesterday...it said. "I'm Sorry." I replied...for what? He said...."Because I know I'm Mean." So, he fully understands what a jerk he is and I guess just had to throw in the empty sorry to smooth me over for a moment....??????? I found it strange. Very random.
May 26 - 3PM
Carolyn
Carolyn's picture

There was a book that was

There was a book that was very popular some years ago called the "Cinderella Myth" many women found that book helpful. It was followed by the "Peter Pan Myth" that described males who had very low emotional intelligence. Men who have a certain childlike attitude might trigger a maternal insinct in women and make a woman feel like she is abondoning a child if she leaves. Women are fed the Cinderella myth from birth. look at Barbie and Ken, the fairy tale wedding of Princess Dianna with Charles' mistress sitting in the church during the ceremony. We are all taught that marriage and children are our destiny and that we will find our prince. At least 50% of marriages end in divorce so the prince game doesn't have good endings for most of us. we all need to be more careful in our life choices. There never was a Cinderella and Barbie is a fantasy. Marriage is a business make sure your partner is appropriate for you and for your future children.
May 25 - 2PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

what 2 believe

when the words don't match the behavior? BELIEVE THE BEHAVIOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 24 - 11PM
grossot
grossot's picture

he brainwashed me by apologizing

I always bragged to mý girlfriends "he's always the first to apologize; it's so sweet". Now I realize he probably caused most of the fights so I could see his sweet side. But his sweet side was creepy, scary, and dangerous now tht I look back on it. I'm sorry for those of you who had to defend yourselves as a child of a N. I cannot imagine what hell that would be. That is a real "I'm sorry!". God hates lies. The devil is a liar and every time my N told me he was sorry, it was a lie! He's incapable of being sorry. He only said it to control me. nolongercontrolled
May 25 - 8AM (Reply to #6)
quietude (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

sorry

That's interesting, mine appologized a few times but really stopped after a while. He made a huge deal about how he'd always be the one to 'give in' and say he's sorry. Ya, he should have since he was the CAUSE of the problem in the first place...hello? He told me I need to lay down my pride and be the first one that gives in. They make you out to be these terrible people, incapable of being forgiving, when in fact, you're not like this with others...only to them...wonder why?
May 25 - 10AM (Reply to #7)
annie60 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

sorry

I can't tell you how many times in the last few months I've heard how sorry he is and how much he loves me... I can completely relate to you situation. The only reason they say they are sorry is to make themselves out to be the good guy.
May 24 - 8PM
neveragain
neveragain's picture

Saying "Sorry" Like He's MAD

My ex-N would say "Sorry you're so....!!" Fill in the blank: sensitive, or menopausal or something else "wrong" with me! He would say it like he was spitting it.....very derogatory. It was not the kind of apology that a normal person would say. He wasn't kind or sympathetic. He was nasty, short-tempered and mean. NOW he's "sorry"...again. BUT, I'm practicing No Contact and his words mean N.O.T.H.I.N.G. I learned the hard way that he is full of lies. He only cares about things that serve HIS PURPOSE. He's mad because one of his favorite "things"...(me) is gone. I finally, finally got it. I finally understand. I figured it out. Thank God, I figured it out!!! This site is so insightful!
May 24 - 11PM (Reply to #4)
grossot
grossot's picture

amen

Amen! You were delivered from evil girl! In the end I found the strength to say to my N: "you have controlled me for 12 years". His reply? "If you let me control you then I'm sorry for you!" Sometimes, I get a good laugh out of all this crap he puts me through! nolongercontrolled
May 23 - 6PM
quietude (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

re: sorry

Sorry is never genuine, it's only lip service. Everything they say has a self-serving condition attached to it. I learned this the hard way, but at least I finally did.
May 24 - 10PM (Reply to #2)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

saying "sorry"

Just because he never believes he could possibly be wrong does not mean that the narcissist never apologises. He is capable of every kind of display of remorse imaginable, from tossing out a sarcastic or casual, "I'm sorry" right through to crying and pleading with you like a devastated child. With most abusers and particularly with narcissists, this is not a real apology, no matter how remorseful he may seem. It is a means to an end and no more. What it really means is, "let's pretend this never happened so that I can do it to you again". One of the talents that children of narcissists in particular tend to develop, is the ability to see what is really being done and hear what is really being said. We have spent our entire lives dodging the bullets and sheer survival has forced us to expend a lot of energy in trying to identify them before they hit. We can never dodge them, but we're a bunch of real die-hards who never stop trying. We just need to learn to trust our gut. - If it feels insincere, then it is. If it feels unbelievable, then don't believe it. Our downfall however is that we are hopeless dreamers. We believe in fairy tales and a narcissistic parent is the biggest fairy tale you can get. We keep wanting desperately to believe. A partner of a narcissist is not much different. You want so much to believe them because if you have to admit to yourself that it is all a lie, the dream will be shattered. The dream is all you've ever had. If that dies, you fear your very soul dying too. The reality is that your soul won't die. The dream will. Some of your innocence and gullibility will, but so will the conflicts, the deception, the games, the vulnerability and the constantly recurring pain. Every time that you believe his empty sorry, you are giving him permission to continue. http://www.cosmicwalk.co.za/games-sorry.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/