Venting

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 20 - 8PM
RenewD
RenewD's picture

Venting

I just want to say that I have learned so much from all of you, just in the past week that I have been here reading. Such a huge weight has been taken off my shoulders just to know that I am not the only person that has experienced such a man and that there IS support from people who have learned first hand.

I have been divorced from my ex for two years now. I've made alot of progress and feel that lately I am making much more now that I know where to go to find advice.

One thing that is going on with me, that is driving me absolutely crazy is that my ex just got engaged. THAT isn't what bothers me.

The woman that he is engaged to was someone who he was friends with in high school and had kept in touch with him throughout the 20 years we were together. I knew her, she would even come to visit when she was in town.
We live on the east coast. She lives on the west. The two of them have been seeing each other long distance for the past year. (possibly longer but thats as much as I know) He goes there for months at a time (completely ignoring the custody order I might add) and she comes here to visit.
She's a very successful woman. Owns her own health spa, very active in her community, and generally liked by everyone that knows her. Including me.

She is selling her business, leaving all her friends and family, and moving here to marry him.

I'm DYING. I know it shouldn't bother me but it does.
I've had long distance relationships in the past and I know enough to know that no matter how much time you spend talking to the person on the phone and visiting, you never get an accurate idea of what they are really like. Could you imagine how a Narc can completely have someone snowed under those circumstances?!
She's going to give up all she has for him to ruin her life...and I HATE knowing this!! I want so badly to warn her, but I know he has her believing I'm completely crazy. I know she sees him as Gods gift, and I'm sure he's the most charming perfect person in the world right now in her eyes.

I know I can't say anything....it just makes me so sad.

I just needed to get that off my chest. I know there's nothing I can do....

Thanks for listening. And if any of you have ever dealt with this, I'd love to hear your stories.

~Denise~

Jun 4 - 12AM
Carolyn
Carolyn's picture

Now Denise you have to know

Now Denise you have to know how this is going to end-she will have no business, no job, no money and the only person she knows, besides him, is you. Maybe she will be moving in with you in a few months. She is in the first stage of the great con job-and is heading down the dead end road. Don't be so focused on what should have been for you just be glad you are out of it and feel a little sorry for her. She isn't going to have the realtionship with him that you wished for she is going to have exactly what you had only she will have lost her world to join his. Narcissists can spend other peoples money very quickly.
May 23 - 5PM
Elena
Elena's picture

Oh Denise!

Denise, I relate to you here. My N also has a long distance relationship with the other woman he betrayed me with, and from all the emails I read, wow, he has her so fooled and deceived. He is acting like the perfect Prince Charming, but he's lying to her! One example, he told her in one of the emails that we had hired a professional Christmas light installer to install all the exterior lights of our house for Christmas, and of course, this is not true! He is trying to make her believe that he is some rich millionaire or something, when he has nothing!!!! Just debt!!! And from her email responses I read she is falling for it so well! And since she does not live here, she has no way of seeing if everything he is telling her about what he own or does is true! In the beginning, I felt sad for her, when I thought of the pain she should go through when she found out the truth about who he is, and maybe even with children in the picture. I felt like warning her, more than once. But, then after much thought, my conclusion was - it is not my place to do this, he has spoken very negatively about me with her, she will most likely think that I am just the "resentful and hurt ex-wife" that wants to steal him away from her, it will only make him look bigger, she will not believe me. So why even put myself in this position.
May 21 - 5PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

denise

if you haven't read WOMEN WHO LOVE PSYCHOPATHS by Sandra Brown yet - please do so ASAP. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 5PM (Reply to #10)
RenewD
RenewD's picture

I will get it asap. I've

I will get it asap. I've seen that book advertised and talked about, but haven't gotten it yet. Just got done with Disarming the Narcissist by Wendy T. Behary, so I'll work on that one too. AND I want to get Lisa's book, maybe I'll order them both together! I wonder if I can have Lisa's book sent anonymously to one certain fiancee... :-P ~Denise~
May 21 - 9PM (Reply to #11)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

books

btw - you can not DISARM a narc. You put on your sneakers and RUN LIKE HELL. Just so you know - WOMEN WHO LOVE PSYCHOPATHS is available on my blog (below) pretty cheap too. I only signed up when I thought it would be affordable to women. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 5PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

denise

How DOES one tell the truth of being victimized when no one will believe your story?! Then they aren't your friends. State the truth clearly, plainly and CALMLY and walk away. They will find out soon enough. You mis-read. I did NOT say you should take him to court. But if he threatens to take you, do what I did, tell him BRING IT ON. Legal Aid will then step in for you. Stick to your guns. 99% of the time these narcs will threaten & bully but will NEVER act on it. They rule by FEAR - instilling FEAR in you. And if you do nothing because of FEAR of them, you are still in their control. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 5PM (Reply to #7)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

when friends & family don't believe you

http://howtospotadangerousman.blogspot.com/2008/03/when-friends-family-dont-get-it-about.html
May 21 - 5PM (Reply to #8)
RenewD
RenewD's picture

Friends and Family

Barbara, Your ability to enlighten is amazing and your truths hit so hard, yet are so necessary. This information is deep. I've got to think about this for a bit and figure out how it applies to me and what I need to do. I've always known I've been surrounded by dysfunction. It's sad that we move into adulthood just accepting it and tolerating it until it brings us so close to ruin. I have a lot of thinking to do. As hard as that was to read...thank you.... I know its for the best. ~Denise~
May 21 - 12PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

telling

As a former paralegal - he can NOT sue you for slander if you TELL THE TRUTH. Mine threatened me, stalked me, sicced the police on me... guess what? I am still here. I let him know if he took me to court, even MORE would come out. And use a board where you can post anonymously. Then he'd also have to prove it was you. Hard to do without a lot of money. Women have to learn to speak up - or these guys will continue harming others, IMHO. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 3PM (Reply to #5)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Docile Victimhood or Fighting Back?

by Kathy Krajco I am death on people telling the victim that it's a sin to fight back. They are pressuring the victim to do the very thing that causes victims to suffer terrible shame in the aftermath of abuse -- give themselves up to it. That shame we feel at doing so is an infallible indicator that it's wrong. No one needs a book or a preacher to tell them what's right and wrong. We KNOW that's wrong. Deep down inside we feel how wrong it is to give ourselves up to abuse. Doing so makes us feel like a worm. A doormat. We know it's lack of backbone. We sense the prostitution in it. We feel utterly degraded by it. The only excuse for it is being subjected to overwhelming force so that we haven't the power to resist. Which is rape. Which is why we feel deeply violated by it. Whether it's sexual rape or any other kind. So, we know that we must resist when we can. If only for the sake of our self respect. And anyone who tells us that we shouldn't fight the aggressor might as well order us to be a self masochist who injures himself. They are pressuring the victim to prostitute themselves to abuse. How degrading! They are pressuring the victim to do what causes a human being unbearable shame. How cruel! They are pressuring the victim to do what goes against the laws of nature, our instinct for self preservation. They are pressuring the victim to commit the worst breech of faith, the worst betrayal, there is -- treason against your very self by delivering yourself up to abuse. That's what Joan of Arc called it -- "treason," "wretched treason." She preferred the stake. If it would be wrong to surrender another person for abuse, why should it be right to surrender yourself to abuse? Trying to force the victim to do that is what the narcissist does! It's bad enough to abuse someone, but when you become so sadistic that you make them bend over for it on top of it all, you have crossed the line into extreme perversity, the Sin of Sodom. Docile victimhood is NOT a virtue, and people who think it is are devoid of moral sense. They are people who don't think about what they say any more than a parrot does. Nothing proves that easier than to just then ask them, "Well what if the abuse happens to be sexual rape? Do you say the victim should bend over for it?" Certainly not! These are the same folks who would say that a woman who bent over for it liked it and was a whore. They would say she must fight tooth and nail. And that's just as stupid, because sometimes she doesn't dare fight. If she did, she'd get killed. There are few ways that the victim of narcissistic abuse can fight back, especially when the victim is a child. And whenever the victim does find a way to put up a resistance, there is always some holier-than-thou around to tell him or her that it's a sin. You can't do that to people. That puts them in an impossible situation. That's what breaks minds. Horrifying example. A kid is getting bullied at school. He periodically gets his head flushed in a toilet, while the "innocent" bystanders watch and laugh. He gets his lunch money stolen daily. Now, would you willingly walk into a place where you know that someone is waiting for you to abuse you? Of course not. But we expect him to. So, when he skips school, he gets punished. We thus force him to present himself there daily for abuse. If he doesn't it's a sin. So he punches the bully. Oh-oh. Now he committed another sin. He gets punished for that too, because "violence" (which force used in self defense ain't) is a sin. So, he resorts to the last resort, the really stupid thing: he tells the counselors about the abuse. They have "a talk" with the bully. Now the bully punishes him for that by escalating the abuse. What is that kid going to do? We are forcing him to offer himself up for abuse like a sacrificial victim every single day. Something's gotta give. He will decide to kill himself, and he may well decide to take others with him. You can't force people to docilely submit to abuse. That's the most odious thing you can do to a human being. You are subjecting him to a slavery more odious and profound than that of the slaves, a kind of slavery we haven't seen since the macabre executions of the Middle Ages = slavery as someone else's property for the purpose of victimization. Indeed, the victim isn't his own property if you deny his free will to the the extent that you deny him the right even to self preservation. Those who think the Bible demands this had better re-read it. And study what the scholars have found and Church authorities have admitted -- how long after the events it was written, whom it was really written by, and how much it's been edited and added to since. And applying a little common sense doesn't hurt either. For example, if Jesus thought defending yourself is a sin, why does scripture mention in several places that the apostles were armed? Duh, they were his bodyguards. And of course he told the three of them with him to put up their swords when he was captured -- because they were vastly outnumbered and just would have gotten killed. Interpreting that action as some sort of general prohibition again the use the use of force is absurd. Common sense, common sense, common sense. There is nothing more dangerous than words of scripture in a mouth with its brain turned off. Very often the victim can't fight back. At least not without that resistance resulting in greater harm to himself. But whenever he can, he has every right to. Indeed, the only morality a bully knows is a punch in the nose. It does work. And the victims of a narcissist's abuse through character assassination have every right to accuse their accuser, to point the accusing finger right back at the narcissist to show that it's all projection. That's the victim's only defense! He or she should not be treated as though they are the attacker. Character assassination is not nothing. It is character ASSASSINATION. I call it the abuse that keeps on abusing for the rest of that person's life. A crime in progress for the rest of that person's life, because that bad reputation pursues and continually damages the victim for the rest of their life. The victim has every right to defend himself from this ongoing abuse in whatever way he can. http://narc-attack.blogspot.com/2006/09/docile-victimhood-or-fighting-back.html ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 6AM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

telling

I exposed a man I was involved with. to this day he smears and attacks me he and his wife now have a police friend of theirs onboard, this detective called me 4x and implied he was going to arrest me In your case, there's nothing you can do. Maybe expose him on the web? Personally, I think doing so is a public service. If you want some weblinks to do so... let me know. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/
May 21 - 8AM (Reply to #2)
RenewD
RenewD's picture

Re: telling

He is so crafty and such an ass that he will find a way to somehow sue me for slander if I tried that. With the luck I've had trying to defend myself against him, that's what would happen. So, I'm afraid to try it. He even has my kids believing I've been lying about his behavior, AND THEY WERE THERE being physically abused by him all these years!! He has them under his spell of believing he's reformed. And Barbara, he's a firefighter. So he's friends with ALL the police in my area! He gets away with so much its sickening!! I found this post: http://www.heartless-bitches.com/rants/manipulator/special.shtml It's everything I'd love to say and exactly how I feel...
May 21 - 4PM (Reply to #3)
RenewD
RenewD's picture

Re: Docile Victimhood

Thank you Barbara for reposting this. I have read that blog within the last couple of weeks and can relate to it all. The problem is, I HAVE said something. To everyone. There are a few who believe me, but there are significant people in my life who absolutely do not and will not believe my story. I've had to cut myself off from my entire family because they keep HIM involved in their lives inspite of what I have told them. They have even told other people in the community that I am lying. So. How DOES one tell the truth of being victimized when no one will believe your story?! There's NO WAY I can take him to court. Really my only recourse is to allow others to think what they want and stay away from them...hoping that he'll expose HIMSELF someday. ~Denise~