'Cultic' Relationships

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 26 - 6PM
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

'Cultic' Relationships

By Madeleine L. Tobias and Janja Lalich

Chapter one excerpts - The Cultic Relationship.

Cults may be large or small. What defines them is not their size but their behavior. In addition to the larger, more publicized cults, there are small cults of less than a dozen members who follow a particular "guru"; "family cults," where the head of the family uses deceptive and excessive persuasion and control techniques; and probably the least acknowledged, the one-on-one cult.

The one-on-one cult is a deliberately manipulative and exploitative intimate relationship between two persons, often involving physical abuse of the subordinate partner. In the one-on-one cult, which we call a cultic relationship, there is a significant power imbalance between the two participants. The stronger uses his (or her) influence to control, manipulate, abuse, and exploit the other. In essence the cultic relationship is a one-on-one version of the larger group. It may even be more intense than participation in a group cult since all the attention and abuse is focused on one person, often with more damaging consequences.

Many marriages or domestic partnerships where there is spousal abuse may be characterized and explained in this way. Other one-on-one cults may be found in boss/employee situations, in pastor/worshipper milieus, in therapist/client relationships, in jailor/prisoner or interrogator/suspect situations, and in teacher/student environments (including academic, artistic, and spiritual situations - for example, a school professor, a yoga master, a martial arts instructor, or an art mentor). It is our hope that those who have suffered such individualized abuse will find much in this book to identify with and use in healing their pain.

Since the upsurge of both public and professional interest in the issue of domestic violence, there has been some recognition to the link between mind control and battering. Men or women who batter their partners sometimes use manipulative techniques similar to those found in cults. The most common include "isolation and the provocation of fear; alternating kindness and threat to produce disequilibrium; the induction of guilt, self-blame, dependency, and learned helplessness." The degree to which these features are present in a relationship affects the intensity of control and allows the relationship to be labeled cultic.

The similarities between cultic devotion and the traumatic bonding that occurs between battered individuals and their abusers are striking. An abused partner is generally made to submit to the following types of behaviors:

* early verbal and/or physical dominance,
* isolation/imprisonment
* fear arousal and maintenance
* guilt induction
* contingent expressions of "love"
* enforced loyalty to the aggressor and self-denunciation
* promotion of powerlessness and helplessness
* pathological expressions of jealousy
* hope-instilling behaviors
* required secrecy (13)

When psychological coercion and manipulative exploitation have been used in a one-on-one cultic relationship, the person leaving such a relationship faces issues similar to those encountered by someone leaving a cultic group.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/brainwashing/brainwashing18.html

Oct 3 - 1PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

the cultic relationship with the narcissist

SEE TOP POST ~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Pathologicals only discard the best, most precious of gems of people... not the worst. They despise the strong, principled, decent & honest. Their discarding of you is then their highest commendation of your worth!" - A.V.
Aug 8 - 11AM
gettinghimoutof... (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Sounds like my in-laws

My stbx N mother-in-law is the dominant one in the relationship and my father-in-law is the doormat. Her nickname in the family is Shark/pit bull/vampire. She is constantly trying to control everything and everyone around her. I am the only one who has ever stood up to her and refused to be controlled. That made me the "dissapointing daughter-in-law". When we were expecting our first child she actually told us that she was too young to be a grandmother and she would be this child's "Auntie". Not! Unfortunately, my stbx husband has a lot of her traits and is also bi-polar. Since I refuse to be a doormat I get accused of refusing to meet him halfway. Our divorce is almost final and I can't wait until I can go no contact with him.
Aug 8 - 11AM
Carolyn
Carolyn's picture

A psychologist I knew

A psychologist I knew referred to this a habituated hostility. I saw it when I visited with a friend and co-worker who retired and moved away. I went to visit them and she constantly in public and private humilated him. they have been together many years but never married. these two have terrific skills, interests, money, and the drama they created with the abuse really scared me. She did screaming in a store, criticizing, and many other 'techniques' that kept him looking like a whipped dog. then one night he walked behind her and, in front of me, he kicked her. I left the next day. there was no alcohol, fortunately, because that would have made it worse. I e-mailed her, after I talked to a psychologist, and told her that in the 15 years I knew them I had no idea they were so abusive to one another and that at their ages this couldn't be good for their health. I asked her what she would do if he left. She e-mailed me that she was insulted by my comments and that she ran them past him and he assured her he would never leave her! The psychologist I talked to before I sent the e-mail told me this habituated abuse is an integral part of the relationship and they don't want to change it. She also told me that in this case it is quite possible that the woman had a personality disorder.
Aug 8 - 11AM (Reply to #4)
James (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Carolyn

Carolyn, Thanks So much for your post. I too have witnessed this type of “relationship?” But never knew their was a psychological term applied to it “habituated hostility”. One will also see this type of habituated hostility dysfunctional bond between those that suffer from chemical dependencies like alcohol and other drugs. Most who are also drug addicts have been know to had a personality disorder and these people are also in a way self medicating themselves through their drug of choice. I do agree that they who are in these types of habituated hostility dysfunctional relationships do suffer from some type of personality disorder but the victim is also is in need of counseling because they too have anxieties and lack any sense of self and personal individuality and suffer from fear of abandonment issues which is found in those that are co-depended. If one wants to study a classic case of habituated hostility dysfunctional relationship one would only have to read about the parents of Scott Peterson and the habituated hostility dysfunctional relationship between Jackie and Lee Peterson. One last thing to note is because those that suffers from personality disorder will most likely then not will in fact end up in these type of habituated hostility dysfunctional relationships, which is really the only type of relationships they can have. I personally have a saying that anyone involved with someone that suffer from a personality disorder that the best and only kind of relationship you can have with them is in fact a hostility dysfunctional relationship. Thanks again for your post! http://james-personalitydisorder.blogspot.com/
Aug 7 - 10PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

cynthia (and all) - the "cultic" relationships

SEE TOP POST ~~~~~~~~~~~~ Articles & information for abuse victims - Updated Daily Online Coaching for Victims of Narcissists/ Psychopaths
May 20 - 3PM
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

more on how they do it

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Free articles & information for abuse victims: http://abusesanctuary.blogspot.com Effective Coaching for Victims of Pathologicals http://one2one4victims.webs.com/