FIRST DAYS OF DISCOVERY - Is my reaction normal?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Dec 6 - 1PM
SandBtwnMyToes
SandBtwnMyToes's picture

FIRST DAYS OF DISCOVERY - Is my reaction normal?

Hi, today is day three of discovering my boyfriend - now EXboyfriend - is a narc. Rather than talk about my him, I'm sick of talking about him - ha! :) I was wondering what it was like for others in the first few days.
I am walking around in a haze of SHOCK. I had no idea. I never knew what a narc was beyond cartoons of someone being over the top vain. I am struggling with feelings of anger, betrayal, and being CREEP-ed out now that I've read up on it and have identified him in the descriptions. I don't know if he is a little bit narc or a full blown narc pscho. I'm also struggling with whether he knows and has done some of the things on purpose or if he has no idea and truly believes he loved me to the best of his abilities. I think he believes all relationships are like what we had. My sense of emotional safety has been so wrecked by this discovery that for the first time in my life I don't feel physically safe. I know in my head he would never lay a finger on me and we are several states away from each other so he wouldn't bother flying here. Besides he looks down on where I live (surprise surprise). I'm wondering if feeling unsafe physically is a normal reaction to lack of emotional safety. Have others experienced this when they came to the light? I also feel like I have a little ptsd even though all his tactics were overtly subtle and short periods of time. Have others felt this?

I'm in the last few days of final exams and then I have a support system lined up - I'm seeing a trusted therapist as soon as possible. In the mean time I'm wondering what roller coaster to expect. And yes - I have no contact in place. Just looking at his picture or seeing someone else with the same first name makes me nauseous and disgusted . I have lost every last shred of respect and love for the guy. I don't want to see him, hear his voice, see his name, see his pictures, see his gifts... nothing. It's over. So much so that I asked a friend to go through my voicemail to get to one I needed so I don't have to hear his. I don't know if I'm over reacting or if this part of the ride of recovery.... ?

Please share!

Dec 6 - 6PM
Goldie
Goldie's picture

Welcome to the forum

Dec 6 - 3PM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

NC is how you move forward.