Why Do I Do That? Joseph Burgo PhD

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jul 26 - 4PM
Empatheticmale
Empatheticmale's picture

Why Do I Do That? Joseph Burgo PhD

Hi everyone

I just wanted to share something that I feel will be of great benefit to many visitors to this site, especially those at Step 4 and 5 in the Guide to the Six Steps. The 'Why do I do that?' book by Dr Joseph Burgo was recommended by Lisa E Scott in her interview with Joseph Burgo regarding Lance Armstrong's believed narcissistic tendencies.

This book is proving invaluable to me in the Step 4 Get Real and Step 5 Wake Up chapters. It covers how we subconsciously use defence mechanisms to protect ourselves emotionally from all the heartache we experienced as children. Once we are aware of the defence mechanisms it gives us the opportunity to try to STOP them, understand why we use them and then get in contact with our deepest fears and upsets.

Yes, working through this book is hard emotionally and takes time and effort (he describes this work as a lifetime's project, like learning to play a musical instrument but accepting that you will never master it), but the benefits are noticeable even after just a couple of weeks.

My next partner will not be a NARC, after 4 in a row I will break the cycle of abuse and move forward into new territory with the aid of this book and a counsellor.

I can't recommend this highly enough. Please check it out :)

Love to all

John

Aug 11 - 8AM
Julialouisa
Julialouisa's picture

Thanks for the tip.... good