A role model for forgiveness

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jul 7 - 7AM
tiredofthisaddiction
tiredofthisaddiction's picture

A role model for forgiveness

Much is written here about the need to forgive the ex-N as part of the healing process. From the many comments, it's obvious that many, including me, struggle with that. After all, it's hard to forgive someone who was/is so abusive, lies, cheats, etc.

The story of Louis Zamperini is a compelling story of the need for and the power of forgiveness. Louis was an American Olympian who joined the US military in WW II, was captured by the Japanese and brutally tortured day in and day out for two years. He was released at War's end and returned to the US.

After such an ordeal, Louis suffered from depression, PTSD, alcoholism, anger, etc. He nearly lost everything because he was so consumed with hate and anger at his former captors, one in particular.

One day Louis met Billy Graham, who introduced him to the power of forgiveness. Ultimately, Louis returned to Japan and met with the Japanese soldier who brutalized him so severely. He forgave him for his atrocities. Louis recovered psychologically from his captivity and went on to lead a long, wonderful, happy life until just a few days ago, where he died at the ripe old age of 97.

His story was memorialized in the book "Unbroken" written by Lauren Hilenbrand.

In many ways, the suffering that Louis endured in a Japanese prison camp at the hands of a sadistic torturer is not unlike that endured in a relationship with N's. I suspect the former is much worse than the latter! Louis life and his story, told in "Unbroken" (and soon to be a movie) is an inspiration for those of us getting over relationships with N's. Despite horrendous treatment, Louis forgave and healed.

We can do the same!

Jul 10 - 6PM
Pumpkin
Pumpkin's picture

Forgiveness

Pumpkin

Jul 8 - 9PM
spt
spt's picture

I think the main issue with