What to do when your boyfriend's friend is a Narc

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 31 - 12PM
owenjohnston
owenjohnston's picture

What to do when your boyfriend's friend is a Narc

Hi everyone,

Just a question for those who have been affected. Does anyone have experience of moving on from the narc, settling with someone else, only to find that one of their friends is a narc?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 18 months now and he made a friend whilst working in a shop at Christmas. The thing is, this 'friend' lost his virginity to my ex narc (the gay scene in belfast is very small). So even when I tired to move on, my past is still linked directly to my present.

I had only known of this guy by name and never spoken to him in person, but I've seen the type of messages he sends to my current bf and he's very suggestive and playful and flirty, however my boyfriend is secure enough not to flirt back or engage him. He just dodges it.

But we were all out bowling a couple of weeks ago and this friend reminds me so much of my ex. He spent the entire time either talking about himself (was very competitive) and when me and my bf were talking to each other his friend just kept taking selfies and posting them online using snapchat to send to all of his 'friends'.

My boyfriend is studying to be a cognitive behavioural therapist and when I pointed this out to him, he said his friend would score very highly in a narcissist test.

Even 3 hours with this guy was enough to convince me. When I talked about myself he looked bored and stared blankly. And when my bf said he was going to visit his mum in England for Mother's Day, his friend asked "why".

I think because my boyfriend is always the listener, hen they compliment each other because his friend loves to talk about himself. But it just annoys me because every time I see his name on my boyfriends phone I get nervous and anxious. He sends my boyfriend x's and just the whole suggestive, playful, flirty nature of him just sickens me, but my boyfriend likes spending time with him, and it really bugs me.

Does anyone have any advice?

Apr 15 - 3PM
ididni
ididni's picture

I know I'm late posting here

Apr 16 - 8AM (Reply to #4)
owenjohnston
owenjohnston's picture

hi ididni, thanks for your

Mar 31 - 3PM
Journey
Journey's picture