Terrified to meet new men after the narc, is this normal?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Feb 19 - 11PM
Anonymous (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Terrified to meet new men after the narc, is this normal?

I am 31 years old and never had a loving relationship with any guy I've dated. Every single relationship I had(3 major relationships) was characterized by physical, emotional and verbal abuse and extremely controlling behaviors. A lot of boundary crashing on their parts. I always fought against it, but I stayed too long in each case. There was always a part of me that associated breaking up with giving up and quitting, something my parents taught me was a horrible thing (quitters never prosper, etc.) I always thought I could fix whatever was wrong, either with them or with me. I was secretly envious of my female friends who ditched losers in a matter of days without any guilt or sense of obligation at all.

After getting rid of the most recent loser narc, I am terrified to go out to meet new guys because I assume they are all predators. They say the biggest threat to women is men. My mother tells me it is my fault that I attract losers and abusers, that I must have a sign on my forehead. I am terrified of meeting another potential narc or some other disordered personality. I can't help but feel that I am doomed to be alone forever and never meet anyone good because now I am so hardened and jaded by my experiences.

Has anyone else felt this way and what did you do about it? I realize trust takes a long time to repair, but I have lost pretty much all faith in men. I don't know how to get it back.

Mar 19 - 1AM
Journey
Journey's picture

Yes, yes it is. Lol. You are

Journey on...

Feb 20 - 9AM
Janie53
Janie53's picture

Freebirdie

Feb 20 - 7AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture