help with therapy please

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Feb 3 - 10PM
happygirl62
happygirl62's picture

help with therapy please

Thanks for this article! I am currently in Intensive Out-Patient group therapy ( 35 hours a week ) trying to regain my life after learning that my father was a N, my husband of 18 years is a N and my first friend after becoming single is a N.....After the three of them tried to DESTROY me, I am surprised that I am still standing. My thirteen year old daughter has managed to step into the role of trying to verbally & emotionally destroy me since I have learned more effective parenting techniques and have decided to let her know that she does not control our household.

I realize that I am supposed to focus on getting ME healthy during my group therapy and and so happy to have this wonderful opportunity to get well. I have noticed that anytime I bring up Narcissism in group and try to process any of the information that I am learning through my online research in the evenings, I am met with resistance. It frustrates me because I feel like no one understands that I have a need to learn as much as I can about it in order to heal.....PLUS I have a divorce coming up and I am trying to be very prepared for what this N may try to do during the divorce.....isn't knowledge power?? I have been making progress in identifying my issues and working on identifying my core beliefs and re-writing them... I brought up the N stuff again today and once again I felt like everyone was frustrated and thinks that I am acting like a nut job.....I told them once again, "unless you have been through something like this, you have no idea what it is like" and again, my therapist says, " how do you know that I haven't?" And today I responded with, "well, I know that you were not married to ____ ____" Another group member jumped in and said that he could not understand why I didn't just get over it and move on...I tried to explain, but it just sends your anxiety into overdrive and they really do not have a clue. A group member told me that I am not trusting that our Therapist knows best and that I keep arguing with what our Therapist is telling me.....yes, I do when it is regarding N....he simply does not understand!! Everything else that he has told me during our 35 hour per week group therapy I have trusted and believed ( even if I did not want to initially ) ... but they need to trust ME on this ... I keep telling myself not to bring up N again, but it IS PART of my illness....yes, overwhelming anxiety and depression are my main problems and I agree that I am co-dependent and I have difficulty with relationships.....I have soaked in all that information like a sponge.....but why can't we talk about the Narcissism?? As your article states, I have a need to educate myself and understand what this MONSTER was that tried to suck the very life out of me.....I will print this article and if I am given a chance tomorrow I will read it to the class....but then again, I may not, because they will just look at me like I am a nut job.....which I am not ...although the N in my life would like everyone to think that I am....

Feb 4 - 10AM
MJC
MJC's picture

Join Goldie's Group

Feb 4 - 8AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Being Narced is not the root

Feb 4 - 12AM
StrongasDandelion
StrongasDandelion's picture

Ask the theraphist why..