Triggered by men's treatment of women

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Dec 23 - 10AM
Peaceseeker
Peaceseeker's picture

Triggered by men's treatment of women

I went out with some friends last night, two female friends I know and a mixed group of four others. Good music and I was trying to chat with the people I didn't know but one guy was making jokes to/ about the waitress along the lines of country road I.e take me home.

I live in a non English speaking country and know logically she could not understand but I'm noticing that if men make derogatory or sexually suggestive comments I am very triggered.

I ended up leaving and was surprised by how much emotion had welled up I got home and so bed for about an hour. This man wasn't coming on to me or being overtly rude to the waitress but it really bothered me. I am also in general finding any conversations about sexually related things very disturbing as we had arguments about this topic. I was very open with him about my sexual which included the fact that i dated a woman at university - he came from a very conservative background and pretty much used everything he could to demean me.

I'm trying to focus on me not him but these triggers seem to be very strong. I also am friends with a couple from my church, they are both close friends and I have noticed that he displays some N symptoms but not all... I talked to her and explained things and have gently tried to talk to him but am finding it difficult to spend too much time around him without feeling triggers. I don't want to spend my life avoiding situations and am aware that I need to take care of myself because as a result of my past relationship I'm temporarily jobless/ homeless staying with my friend.

What do other people do about self care when it comes to suddenly feeling triggered ? Does this settle down ? From what I read its related to adrenalin and PTSD. I want to be as practoc as possible because I WILL NOT all

Dec 23 - 12PM
kath55
kath55's picture

Trigger Hell

Dec 23 - 10AM
jjj1984
jjj1984's picture

I hear you

Dec 23 - 10AM
Peaceseeker
Peaceseeker's picture

Oops I'm typing on my phone