Am I being too sensitive?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Nov 27 - 9PM
pattylyn
pattylyn's picture

Am I being too sensitive?

I read, read and read, and write in a journal to try and heal and make sense of it all. I thought I was getting better as I passed steps 1-3, working on steps 4-6, but I feel like I am truly ready to snap or breakdown.

After leaving my exN (after the last 6 months of D&D and of every abuse except physical), I had to move in with my step-father (my mom's 3rd husband, she passed away awhile ago). My step-father and I never got along growing up, but I showed up on his door step with my bags. I have always had a difficult relationship with him and I believe he was mentally abusive to my mother for over 20 years. I am now taking the hits of his criticism, jabs and demeaning comments while trying to remain grateful that he allowed me in his home when I had no where else to go (trust me, he was my last resort). Now I'm on vacation with my biological father and he treats me like I am two years old, always giving me instructions and throwing past disappoinments of my decisions in my face. I have definitely lost all interest in being around him right now. My oldest son is mad at me because I went out of town for Thanksgiving with my father and didn't cater to him and his family for this holiday. Was I a doormat all this time? Did I let all these men manipulate me all these years? I was never one to really speak up for myself because of what I was afraid of losing at that moment, but what I know to have lost was their respect.

Am I just being too sensitive right now where every comment has heightened my anxiety (joke or otherwise) or am I just waking up to the fact that I have been too soft-spoken, vulnerable, weak, and/or a push over? Can anyone relate?

Jan 14 - 6PM
TruthbeginsToday
TruthbeginsToday's picture

The group here helped me sort some things out

Nov 27 - 10PM
Trixy
Trixy's picture

I can relate a bit