Typical N cycle? Very short relationship. Please help?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 3 - 1PM
Cherylm86
Cherylm86's picture

Typical N cycle? Very short relationship. Please help?

Hi ladies, please could I have some advice, because I need some clarification....and comfort. Sorry its so long but please read details.

- Met him on a dating site (hes 24 and I'm 26)
- His profile was a bit bitter but he changed it to seem softer after we made initial contact as he didn't want to 'seem angry'.
- Swapped numbers and met within a week of speaking. First date was great; although few odd statements like "my mum says I'm special". Claimed his ex treated him with no respect although they lived together and HE ended it because he wasn't happy. She didn't appreciate what he did for her. Said he was fed up of meeting girls with no substance and he wanted to take things slow and get to know me.
- After first date, I was consistently told I was 'stunning, beautiful, amazing, princess....and 'special'. (Oh the flags!)
- He initiated meeting up regularly, despite wanting to go slow and we ended up seeing each other several times a week. It was a fast whirlwind of romance, compliments, attentiveness, concern over my ill relative, treats....and I was 'perfect for him'. He didn't 'like me being alone' in my house - always suggested meeting up. Maybe more that he didn't like being alone in his own company!
- His family knew about me and I met his friends (once).
- The more time I spent with him over the space of a month, I noticed little things he said which should have been huge red flags! Started as little criticisms, which actually annoyed me a lot at times.
- "I'm very fussy. I always see faults in people eventually, ask my friends, but you are perfect"
- "you're really pretty, but not so much from the side!"
- "my ex looks like that" (when seeing an obese woman out and about)
- "The girl has to be on top in bed, because it feels bigger that way" (he had a huge sexual insecurity that the woman has to be in control so she can't be disappointed that way). He was convinced he could not satisfy me, despite me telling him he could - if he kept trying! He would just stop intimacy if he thought I was not enjoying it, or he thought I was laughing at him.
"No clothes in bed, you know the rules".
- "The rugby coach said I was better than the people who have played for ages, like I'm professional".
- "I don't like my toast like that" when I made breakfast.
- Became really down and moody at times due to his financial problems - this seemed to overwhelm him and I couldn't seem to cheer him up much. He was spending more time looking at random rubbish on his phone when in my company and I called him antisocial. He was becoming a little withdrawn despite having me by his side supporting him. However, his problems with work/money seemed too much and he would be researching expensive tattoos, relocating to another area where he could change work and looking at projects worth 30k....just so unrealistic and clawing at randoms opportunities out of reach.

I lost my dad suddenly one month into dating him and he said he would be there for me as I 'mean a lot' to him.

However, after I criticised him shortly after when I felt he prioritised his friend and was just indifferent to me, he suddenly withdrew overnight and there were no more kisses on texts, no more compliments - although importantly he said to me "you're not perfect, but nobody is". I only saw him once after this.
I finally cracked after a few days attempts of trying to salvage it. He said he was 'annoyed with the world' and it was 'work, money etc' really getting him down. We ended it mutually, but me really confused. He said 'its not you'....great line!
He tried to get sympathy from me a few days later after I had NC, but I told him he was selfish and that life is not about petty things. So, then he was back on the dating website two days later.....and is now in a relationship with someone else, just 11 days after adding them on facebook (no doubt from the dating site). Did I have a lucky escape?? Is this pure signs of a narc who decided to bail after I stood up for myself and unveiled him? I was silly enough to stick around despite the criticisms but have learnt such a lot from this short time. I just know my dad is looking after me and will make sure I get a better more healthy man next time.

Mar 3 - 1PM
redflagswaving
redflagswaving's picture

YES

Mar 3 - 1PM (Reply to #4)
Cherylm86
Cherylm86's picture

Thanks redflagswaving. I

Mar 3 - 1PM
brinamarie
brinamarie's picture

Very typical. Everything u