Simple abundance....not so much

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sep 5 - 11PM
Im_always_fine
Im_always_fine's picture

Simple abundance....not so much

I'm reading Peace and Plenty by Sarah Ban Breathnach, the author of Simple Abundance.
In it she talks about her recent near bankruptcy and foreclosure after selling 7 million copies of her first book. She has gleaned quotes and wisdom from women down through the ages(especially from the great depression)...many of them mothers left destitute by men. Sarah's own financial ruin was in part due to the wild spending of her husband (they are now divorced)
It's such a validating book that I wanted to share it with my sister's in recovery here on the forums.
She talks not only about rising up from the bottom with dignity but about BEING on the bottom with aplomb.

So many on here have been financially annihilated by a narcissist. Which complicates healing as we scratch and scrimp and duck bill collectors. I'm avoiding my phone... belligerent bill collectors...I'm scratching to pay off the debt I let the narc put me in, I don't need to be bullied on my own phone in the meantime. But it happens to the best of us. Rachell Ashwell the genius behind Shabby Chic filed a chapter eleven, laid 200 employees after 20 million annual sales.

I'm about a third into this book and I can feel my dignity healing. I love a passage from an article she found in an October 1932 Ladies Home Journal,"When money is plenty this is a man's world. When money is scarce it is a woman's world. When all else seems to have failed the woman's instinct comes in"

Many of you like me are flying by the seat of your pants in terms of finances. There is no shame in it. In fact this is when women shine (I know you don't FEEL shiny) No one ever told me it's ok to be broke. We are supposed to be humiliated by financial trouble.

The hardest, most painful lesson (but the best)for me from my experience withe narc is STOP giving the man I love EVERYTHING I have. To stop giving WAY more than I'm getting.There is no nobility in it. It's not romantic. Twice before men have come into my life with nothing and I have walked away with nothing...I considered it a small price to pay to be free of them.

I guess I just to say to those who are shopping thrift stores, going to the food bank, picking fruit in abandoned lots (tons of apples, plums and cherries!)consigning your clothes...it's OK...you are making the very best of an unbelievable nightmare...in a bad economy to boot. I'm doing it too. Sarah did it too....and wrote a great book about it...I got my copy at a thrift shop :)

I'm 50 and starting over again AGAIN.

Sep 6 - 4AM
Redhead
Redhead's picture

Well said my Friend....thank

Sep 6 - 3AM
Janie53
Janie53's picture

Imalwaysfine

Sep 6 - 3AM
florence (not verified)
Anonymous's picture