Evil?

Evil?

Are narcissists evil? M. Scott Peck's answer is yes. Sam Vaknin...no. I know it's a deep question...but what's your thoughts?

Tennesseegirl's picture

YES .... Without a shadow of a doubt!!!

I just read some of Pecks book and I will tell you from my own experience... YES to me there is no doubt these people are not coming from a good Godly place. The problem is that society has convinced us that there is a grey area. but when I comes right down to it... Your either on the good side or the bad side. your either of the light or of darkness. For God or against him. I will tell you, my EX Narc was not spiritual and neither was his family. They raised him with no religion at all. I did not judge and gave him the benefit of the doubt. I thought God placed him in my life for me to bring him to the faith. through the experience I learned that he didn't want help and had no DESIRE HIMSELF to seek God and hold himself accountable . I noticed he would play along and go to church and even bible study with me but yet always seemed irritable about it and angry. One time I was standing in church with him singing along and smiling and I saw him out of the corner of my eye... He actually seemed annoyed and mad that I felt such joy. he kept saying it was just because it was all new to him and he felt inadequate with religion. My response was always... Read... Learn... Take it upon yourself.. And then you won't feel inadequate .. But i was also clear to say,I am supporting you and by your side. I did everything I could to help. but in the end he has no desire for religion or God. I now can look back and see the actual hate and disgust in his eyes for it. That coupled with the lies, betrayal, deception, lack of empathy and no accountability... That says it all for me. YES i do believe without a doubt, Narcs are EVIL!

Monarch's picture

I have read People of the Lie

I have read "People of the Lie" also. I agree with Peck. I also have done research on the "Jezebel Spirit." There is something so eerily evil about narcs that I cannot deny that there's a monstrously demonic and diabolical presence there which one can see through his/her eyes. I am also a follower of Christ with a belief that evil is inherent but can be washed away by Christ. However, narcissists are soooooo dangerously sinister that it's best to flee from them instead of lingering in hopes that he/she changes. Thank you for commenting.

Sparrow's picture

I believe a percentage of

I believe a percentage of the narc population is EVIL by definition for sure. The definition of evil is to be immorally wrong. That leaves things pretty wide open if you ask me.

I would have to agree with both of them on this topic because their views, and their points are both very different and very valid at the same time.

Narcs for the most part, are functioning human beings within society until they find themselves in a intimate relationship, they can't handle this sort of relationship at all and fail every time. The predator however seeks out the relationship, mainly to destroy another human being, just as he has been destroyed. That I would term as evil for sure. The disconnected, I find the term "eveil" to be a little strong. Because I think of the devil, monsters ghouls etc, but, everyone does have their own opinions.

I can see both sides of this argument is what I am trying to say.

Armed's picture

Yep!

Yes I believe so. Do some research on the Jezebel. It's a spirit, a very evil one whose main purpose is to infect people and roam the earth seeking power, control and destruction. Narcs are demons. Demons often show themselves through the eyes. Sound familiar?

Not sure if you're Christian but the bible teaches us about these people. The wolves in sheep clothing, the false prophets, Jezebel etc....

These issues are very real! Great topic!

wsh's picture

I respect Vaknin to a

POINT. But he IS a narc!

If you read M. Scott Peck's "People of the Lie" it's obvious. I'm sure some non-narc people could also be considered evil by Peck, but when I read Peck's descriptions of "evil" people......it is just too damn close to Narcs to be coincidence.

Just my opinion.

Wayofthesun's picture

People of the Lie by M.Scott Peck

I have just read this book for the second time- the first time was 20 years ago and I found it to be interesting yet theoretical.
This time it made a lot of practical sense as my teenage daughter is involved with a Narcissist.
I agree that N's are inherently evil as they are incapable of showing sincere remorse and always cause chaos and confusion wherever they go.
Peck points out that the word "evil" is "live" spelled backwards!