DLP75's story

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Oct 14 - 8AM
DLP75
DLP75's picture

DLP75's story

I'm probably one of the few males on this site, but I have had my heart torn out living with an extreme narcissist for over nine years. I had recently divorced after 21 years of marriage and soon after met this woman at work, where soon after we started dating. She's very attractive which was a plus for me because I never really thought I could attract the attractive. We had, what has been mentioned here as a roller coaster relationship. Friends and family always wanted to know why we were together so long but never married. All through that time, it seemed as if everytime things would be going great, she would get angry about something and break up for not getting her way, then in a couple weeks I'd be a fool and we'd get back together. I had no idea about narcissists, but after reading all the signs, this lady is textbook. She would get angry and whirl around in her chair as if to fight if someone brushed the back of her seat while walking behind her. She wanted everyone to know she drove a popular luxury car, worked at a very well known high ranking company, and lived in an elite neighborhood. She would want HER picture taken with birthday gifts SHE was giving. She would gripe continuously at me when I would try to help her, as I could never do anything good enough for her. She is obsessed with the way she looks. She would have the waiter when we would go out to eat change our table to her liking, or take back food for whatever reason.While we were eating she would in a loud voice say that she can't understand why people cant control their kids if a child would bump the back of her seat while sitting in a booth.I would ask her why things bothered her, and she would tell me she DESERVED the best seat while eating, and not be bothered while eating. She'd also tell the waiter to either turn the music down or change the setting on the air conditioner themostat. She would walk outside after eating and if people were smoking, she'd say again in a loud voice how she doesn't understand why people smoke. Really rude and embarrassing things.She made the comment to me that the women at work were jealous of her and treated her bad because of the way she looked. She has very few friends, but has complained that she wasn't going to speak to them again at one time or another because of the way they treated her, when she treated them even worse, including me. I would give her what I considered constructive criticism and ask her why she was publicly rude to people, and she would go into the rage and then silent treatment as has been mentioned in these blogs, and then tell me I was "yelling" at her, when I wasn't.I would tell her I love her and didn't want to see her that way, and she would tell me "If we're going to talk about ALL of my problems, why do you want to be with me"? I loved her very much and wanted to marry her (why now i don't know). I never had reason to think she was seeing anyone else as she had always said if I wanted to see other people she hoped I had the decency to tell her. There's not enough space here to tell you all of the ways she fits the textbook narcissist, but suffice to say if there were a narcissist hall of fame her statue would be out front. Well, 7 weeks ago she said she had to spend time at her Bible class helping this guy at her church set up a power point presentation. Stupid me, but yet I trusted her after 9 years. I started really talking very serious about getting married finally, and she played along. She always worked late (?) on Fridays, so we didn't go out much on Friday evening, but one Friday 6 weeks ago, I hadn't heard from her so when I called her she said she was eating out with her cousin, and wanted to know if I'd be awake later as she wanted to talk with me. She called later, and after 9 years, she broke up with me over the phone. As typical stories, we never saw each again, and when I tried to get answers or any closure, she would never return my emails or texts. It breaks my heart to think that this sweet, caring, lovable lady who I thought would love me for all time, would blind-side me with one phone call after all those years and time spent. After all of this, I profess to be a Christian, and am praising ALMIGHTY GOD,that I did not in fact marry this woman. Thank you. DLP75

Oct 17 - 12PM
Tigerlily
Tigerlily's picture

Welcome DLP 75

You won`t get answers or closure from a narc, but you can give them to yourself! You give yourself closure when you`re quite sure you wouldn`t take her back if she came begging, which she might, so stay clear! Answers will come to you little by little, particularly if you wise up on narcissism and stay close to the forum. Sorry you got hurt, but glad you realize that it`s a blessing in disguise you DIDN`T marry her. Tigerlily
Oct 17 - 3PM (Reply to #21)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks Tigerlily, I guess I truly might be on my way to some closure because after looking back and seeing what I put up with, and hearing friends tell me they can't believe what I put up with, I am very sure that I would never respond if she in fact did try to reconnect. I look at her as evil now, and want to stay as far away from her as I can get. Thanks for your response, I really, really appreciate the encouragement. DLP75
Oct 16 - 8AM
Femmegem
Femmegem's picture

It's never too late to see the light

Sorry to hear about your trauma DLP, you sure put up with it for a long time. Just because you're a guy, it does not make your pain any less. I'm so glad you found out in the end, and I really hope you can forget her once and for all, and start living your life for YOU. Take it easy and stay strong.
Oct 17 - 10AM (Reply to #19)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks so much! I really DID try to be a good, faithful, caring, loving man to her for all that time. One thing that hurts is I had my chances to have other women through the years, but even though we weren't married I considered us to be in a committed relationship, therefore I was TOTALLY faithful to her. I didn't get the same treatment, but then again here I go again trying to justify irrational actions from an irrational person. Thanks again for the encouragement!! DLP75
Oct 14 - 9AM
lillymarch
lillymarch's picture

She sounds horrid! Yes, thank

She sounds horrid! Yes, thank God you got away! It's good to see you found his site. It does get better.
Oct 14 - 10AM (Reply to #17)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Oct 14 - 9AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

DLP, Welcome, she sounds

DLP, Welcome, she sounds lovely.. We have a few guys here.. Join in, read and learn all about Narcville!! Hunter
Oct 14 - 10AM (Reply to #2)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm glad I found this sight. The no closure is the problem, but I know if I were to see her to ask about closure questions I'd either get none, or more lies. Thanks again!
Oct 17 - 11PM (Reply to #14)
Amiee
Amiee's picture

Closure

It seems that the closure to a relationship with a Narc isn't like a healthy relationship ending, nothing with a Narc is healthy. I think the closure for me is realizing he wasn't the guy I fell for in the beginning. The man I have now is someone I don't like. Closure is that you realize this person isn't who you thought and you deserve better. It is human nature to know why or justify but not knowing is sometimes better...I agree this site helps TONS!
Oct 18 - 8AM (Reply to #15)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks1

Thanks Amiee, I appreciate your comment and encouragement. I was thinking this morning that I have been in shock more than anything because I of course thought i knew her well after 9 years, but also I am so naive as I never expected a woman to do this. But....I realize the only thing about her that is a woman is that her body is 50+ years old, but her heart and mind is still in her pre-teens. Thanks again!
Oct 15 - 5PM (Reply to #4)
highlander
highlander's picture

I'm one of the guys that

I'm one of the guys that Hunter mentioned. I went through the same shit, and its brutal! You are not alone, and you've come to the right place. Hold your breath, my friend, it will get better!
Oct 15 - 7PM (Reply to #5)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks for your response bramst. We hear all our lives how shallow men can be and have the "Love em and leave em" reputations, so I guess because of that, I never dreamed that a 52 year old woman in a relationship with me for nine years could not have at least talked about any feelings/problems before ditching me. Then again, here I am trying to assume an irrational person would act rationally. It is getting better as time goes on, and I thank God I had a friend mention Narcissism to me, because up until now, I always shrugged it off as just being some kind of inflated ego. I appreciate you saying that it will get better as I could have NEVER prepared myself for the shock, especially thinking things were good. Thanks again!
Oct 15 - 11PM (Reply to #6)
highlander
highlander's picture

Hey man, It will get better,

Hey man, It will get better, for sure. It takes a long time, though. I've been struggling for 10 months, and even though I am not in constant pain anymore, I still really do have moments, like today, in fact. I still struggle with whether she is PSD, or Borderline PD, or a combination of both, or not, and it's all my fault. The women on this forum have assured me that she is a classic case, and she will treat every guy as she treated me, never be happy, ever, and end up old and alone. Ok, that's good, but I still miss her. I think that we are all the walking wounded. We may eventually walk with less of a limp, but wounded nevertheless. No, they are not rational. No, they can't be any other way than they are. No, they can't really ever be happy or content. We can put them into that neat little box, and say that it could have never ended any other way. It's like a dog doesn't have the part of the brain to enable them to speak English, they don't have the part of their heart or soul that would enable them to feel any empathy or remorse, or loyalty, or unconditional love. How can we expect that, except that we really loved them, and want them to be the women that we fell in love with. Well, they just can't be that person. Too bad for us, but one thing is for God Damned sure. It's better that we found out now, than several more years down the road. WE, my friend, WILL end up happy. We will not end up old and alone, and they will, for sure as shit. You can take that to the bank! I am new to Pd, and this forum, myself. These unbelievably kind and wise women, here, have been so much help to me. I have been floundering for months. I am starting to, with their help, get a grip on things. Like you say, women may think that we guys are shallow. Maybe they see we aren't all that way, and can truly love deeply. I always thought that women have a sort of light switch that can turn their feelings on and off, with a click, just turn their backs on us without a thought. I am finding out just the opposite, and only a disordered person, of either sex, can do that. This is all watershed stuff for me. Listen, you just hang in here. It will get better, and you will smile and love again. Just because we are all walking wounded doesn't mean that we won't have that stuff in our lives. We will just be a little wiser, and maybe more intimate and empathetic, and have far better relationships down the line. We have learned some tough, tough lessons... Sorry for ranting a bit. I'm pissed at her today. I'll back channel my phone number to you. If you ever need an ear, you got one... B
Oct 17 - 10AM (Reply to #7)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks again!

Thanks again Bramst! I too have some lady friends who have shared with me their horror stories of Narc ex husbands, and I have to say that the more my mind see's the TRUE person she is, the more my heart catches up. For me, the hardest part has been telling myself that the person I was around for nine years was only a masked person. It's the golden rule thing. I don't treat people any other way than who I really am inside, so I have a hard time thinking how I could have been so naive as to think she was not just different from what I saw, but totally opposite. I want revenge and answers, but we haven't spoken in 7 weeks, haven't texted in 2 weeks,and I know if I ever got back in touch for closure I wouldn't get the true answers to my questions (which I already know), and I would look the fool for validating her existence. As I said, my mind is there, I'm just waiting for my heart to catch up. Again thanks, and I'll keep responding also. DLP75
Oct 17 - 9PM (Reply to #8)
highlander
highlander's picture

Man, it's so true! My friends

Man, it's so true! My friends NEVER understood why I put up with her shit as long as I did, and they all say it's better I found out now than another 5 years down the road. She may be a narc, I'm just getting a clue on that, but what I do know, for sure, is she is a skank. I don't know if we will ever get closure. I think that we will just end up not thinking about it too much. Maybe that's the best we can hope for. You sound like a decent guy. I'm a decent guy. There are plenty of nice, emotionally adjusted women out there. It's not over for us yet. As you can probably tell, I'm far from over it, and I know for sure that I will hear from her sometime. As much as I want to believe this is some shitty nightmare, it isn't. I just hope that when she does get in touch, I will be together enough to tell her no. The question that I would ask her, which I know she would not have an acceptable answer for is "what do you have to say for yourself? Explain yourself". What answer to those questions could ever be ok with you??? Here is something for you, my friend. Put your earphones on and turn it up. This is very empowering to me and makes me feel better. Listen to the words. " Who do you think you are" , "Who the fuck do you think you are?????" I never said that to her. I wish I had... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz7BGlgb5Do Hang on, pal... B
Oct 18 - 8AM (Reply to #12)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

The song

Bramst, I just heard the song and wanted to say thanks so much! That is AWESOME, and as I said before, I want NO contact with her nor would I do it, but I'd LOVE to send her this song. Thanks again!
Oct 18 - 1PM (Reply to #13)
highlander
highlander's picture

Play it EVERY day. It will

Play it EVERY day. It will give you strength...
Oct 18 - 8AM (Reply to #9)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

Thanks!

Thanks agaoin Bramst! I've often thought of what I'd do if she ever did try to get back in touch with me, and I've come to the point where I still love the mask she showed me, but realize what an evil person she really is and I DON'T want to lose my sanity over this. For me it's hard to imagine someone spending 9 years together with all those memories, and then ending it so abruptly without the closure "talk". It's like Lisa's book says, that our human brains are programmed to put away bad memories and only think of the good, where in this case a true means of surviving a Narc is is to bring up the bad memories so we CAN see who they really are. That's tough, but that's what get's me through alot of times. To think of as you said, the skank she REALLY is. It goes against my Christian upbringing to wish anything bad on her, I do really wish she would suffer for this, but I know you can't sufer without feelings and a cold heart. Thanks again man, I appreciate your comments.
Oct 18 - 1PM (Reply to #10)
highlander
highlander's picture

You know, I don't wish

You know, I don't wish anything bad for mine either. I am a Christian, as well, so I forgive her, but, the facts are the facts. They didn't become who they are when we met them, or by anything we did to them, and they are that same person with the next guy and the one after that. As for mine, as I look back now, all she really had to offer was looks, and marginal sex. Guess what? Those don't last forever. She is 51, and not the hottie she was when I met her. Menopause and drinking has put 25 pounds on her, and she is beginning to show her age. As I'm told, the guys she will be interested in will want women 15 years younger, and women who look like she used to. I couldn't have cared less. I loved her as she was, but the pickin's are going to get slimmer and slimmer. Being that she is the perennial victim, her relationships will always end up the way ours did. She will end up old and alone, but at least she will know that she was always right, and probably be as bitter as her mom. Is that a pretty picture and do i wish that on her? NO, but how will it ever be any other way? She took GREAT offense when I said, in one of our final emails, you are just following your pattern, of one guy after another. After she blocked me on Facebook, I posted "Even if you can't admit it to yourself, the old adage " if you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always gotten" will prove to be true. Just wait and see. No pattern there? HAH!! Guess who the truly lucky one is in all of this...". She got wind of it and THAT really stirred the shit! I feel that, and it's going to be true for you and me. We are the lucky ones, here, even thought it's painful right now, WE will be the ones that will come out the other end ok. They? Bitter, old, victimized and alone. I can't help but smile about that, just a little... Hang tough, man, the future is bright... B
Oct 18 - 2PM (Reply to #11)
DLP75
DLP75's picture

I AGREE

I totally agree. I noticed the same thing, that mine who just turned 52, still thinks she looks as if she did when we got together 9 years ago. I read something on the web on just what you said, in that they will be old and alone. Mine never had kids, so she'll be even more alone. She always said she wanted kids before she met me, but after seeing the way she has no patience with her dog, it's probably a blessing she never had them. She griped about doing just the mundane things like picking up after the little pup. Your right also in that they were this way before they met us. I know for myself and I'm sure you too, that all we did was try to have a "normal" relationship with them. I know now it seems as though it was a full time job trying to please her, to no avail. Thanks again!
Oct 15 - 5PM (Reply to #3)
highlander
highlander's picture

I'm one of the guys that

I'm one of the guys that Hunter mentioned. I went through the same shit, and its brutal! You are not alone, and you've come to the right place. Hold your breath, my friend, it will get better!