Unfreakinreal's story...

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sep 12 - 10PM
Unfreakinreal
Unfreakinreal's picture

Unfreakinreal's story...

The best way to tell my story is how I would tell it to him, so here I go...

Dear Tony,

It is with all that I have that I hope one day you are able to find someone that truly makes you happy and that you are able to enjoy and nuture that relationship. You and I are no longer in each other's lives which has given me the opportunity to find me again.

You were never able to understand why I felt the way I did or why I was so determined to salvage our relationship. At the time, it was easier to live in my fantasy world, reliving all of the great times we had and forcing myself to look away from the truth that was there from the very beginning.

When you came into my life, it was at a time when I was ready to begin looking for a serious relationship. I had spent 2 years alone, recovering from another toxic and unhealthy relationship and I was open to new possibilities. The first day you crossed my path left such an impact on me, even as brief as it was. I didn't know your name but I thought about that smile for weeks afterwards.

6 weeks later we crossed paths again. Not by accident, but because you had come looking for me at my work, questioning my co-workers as to where I was. When I found out it was you that was looking for me, I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe that you had made a special trip to bring me a gift card from my favorite coffee shop with the handwritten note "Something to keep you warm. Tony". Merry Christmas, you told me and turned to leave.

We talked on the phone once, and I learned that you were a fireman. We agreed to talk the day after Christmas. We did, and you somehow invited yourself to my house which I was all too willing to accept. You showed up with home baked cookies and special creamer for my new coffee maker. I thought you were incredible. When you showed me the pictures and I found out that you were one of the firemen trapped in that building, I didn't know what to say. You almost lost your life 4 days prior and here you were with me. I felt something so special and thought you must have also, why else would you choose to be with me after such a tragedy? Surely there must be others that you should be spending time with on the day after Christmas.

That night you told me everything I needed to know to run the other way. You told me everything about your life and I listened to you talk for hours, thinking it had a lot to do with the collapse. I never understood how you seemed to be so unaffected by your proximity to death and the death of your fellow firefighters. You seemed in extreme need of someone to talk to and I was amazed that it was me that you chose. But you would never talk about the fire. Only once when you were forced to see a therapist to be able to return to duty.

Why did you tell me about the last time you made love to your ex wife? I still remember the date - January 22nd. I was too shocked to say anything. And you seemed so tortured, it was hard not to want to comfort you. That first day you spent way too much time in my personal space and I allowed it. After that night, we were inseparable.

For a while.

We had a beautiful and incredible time on New Year's Eve. I bought you a vase to replace the one that your wife had smashed during a fight at your new apartment - where you had only been living for 6 weeks.

The party that I was so excited to go to with you that you completely destroyed by being a pig and a drunken fool. You made up for it by carrying me down the street so I wouldn't ruin my shoes in the snow. And then destroyed it by telling me that you didn't love me (I didn't ask if you did) and that sex was just sex. I tried to leave and you left bruises on my arm trying to stop me. You begged me to stay and hold you and I did.

Complete strangers marveled at how 'perfect' we were together.

I sent you a care package to your firehouse for your first day back on duty after the fire, books on divorce and children to help you, left easter eggs in your mailbox so you would have something when you got off shift (do you remember the conversation we had that night? You were demanding to know where I was going on a Saturday night and I didn't want to ruin the surprise). You refused to call me that night before bed which you knew would upset me greatly. I sent you flowers on MY birthday to the firehouse, baked brownies to take with you, made sure I kept the things you like in my house.

You used to get up and make me coffee and pack my lunch on Monday mornings - I loved that. It has been months since you even rolled over when I got up. Every once in a while I might get a 'lock the door on your way out.'

I made it a point to make sure I took lots of pictures of you and your children together because you had so few. I created albums for each of your children so they would always have pictures of Dad when they were with Mom. One of the many things I did that I hoped you would appreciate.

I am a single mother - you never once offered to take pictures of my son and I - even after I pointed it out to you. You knew how important pictures are to me. You did not take one picture of us.

- I am going to stop for a while, this is really beginning to hurt.

Oct 30 - 9PM
Layla
Layla's picture

From one Chicago girl to another.........

What are you trying to do?? Make me bawl like a baby! Oh my gosh! ......thank you Unfreakinreal for sharing with us.....these guys are unreal azzclowns..I'm so sorry he treated you like this...nice sentimental woman who loves and sees the importance of family pictures...this guy pisses me OFF!!!!..different story, same disordered fools.........I'm giving you a big virtual hug tonight..... love~ Layla
Oct 30 - 6PM
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Happiness?

You wish him happiness in love? That he finds somebody? Why? What is it with all this "niceness?" And the horror is -- he doen't even think about you. Unless he misses how useful you would be in the moment when he wants/needs something. I have no reason to say this about your fella. It's just the usual modus operandi for these guys. I hate to be harsh. But really. Dude's a jerk. He will never understand. Even telling YOUR story about him -- you write it TO HIM. This is subtle but revealing. YOU are still communicating to him in YOUR mind.
Oct 30 - 7PM (Reply to #9)
Unfreakinreal
Unfreakinreal's picture

Agnes...

This was extremely difficult and painful for me to write. If you noticed, I wasnt able to finish it. Clearly, you didn't take note of when I originally posted my story. Nor do you have any semblance of an idea of where I am currently in my recovery process. Sharing your story is not easy. It makes you feel, embarrassed, pathetic and completely alone. So, please, save your opinions for the general forum. People who have been brave enough to share through their own excruciating pain don't need you to kick them in the teeth. I am an incredibly strong woman but some new and fragile members may run at your type of response just when they are ready to ask for help. Nice job.
Oct 18 - 9PM
Hope
Hope's picture

The firemen and cops are the worst...

The firemen and cops are the worst, total hypocrites...wearing their white hats, when they are total demons. Mine was a Fire Chief, big asshole. Hang in there, at least we will be able to spot these jerks the next time out the gate.
Oct 20 - 9PM (Reply to #7)
darling.girl
darling.girl's picture

Jobs that require big egos

Jobs that involve danger, saving others and being in control of the lives of others tend to attract narcissists. To be clear: not everyone in these jobs is a narcissist, but I think they would gravitate to them. My ex-narc is an air traffic controller. There's got to be some level of supreme confidence and ego to take on a job like that where what you are doing controls the lives of people on several jets at once. Even a pilot is just in control of his plane, but the controller, he's juggling a few. And the title of the job isn't lost on me... "Controller"
Sep 12 - 11PM
Unfreakinreal
Unfreakinreal's picture

My story continued...

You knew how much my son adored you and admired what you did. I told you once that every night you were on shift he would go to bed and tell me he was going to 'dream that Tony is ok'. You didn't say a damn thing. He still talks about that trip to your firehouse. When we were watching the 9/11 coverage, he was so upset because he thought you were still in New York and were going to get killed. It took me so long to get through to him that you were back home and that what we were watching happened before he was born. It was a tough morning with him wanting to call you to make sure you were ok. You knew from the beginning that we were only temporary - how dare you involve my child. You made such a big deal about not getting the children involved in such an early relationship and then did it anyway. You were so adamant about it - how would I have not seen it as an indication that we would have a future together? You call yourself a paradox - what a bunch of shit. The word you are looking for is narcissist. My child Tony. How could you do that? How dare you. Not one fucking picture. And yes, whether we were talking or not, you are a complete bastard for not bringing him back something from your trip. Don't worry, I will take care of it. I will give him the patch instead of burning it along with the shirt that you gave me so much grief over. I will take care of everything - I know you hate when I say that but what other choice do I have? Wait around for you to grow up and start taking ownership for your own life instead of blaming others? No thanks, I will take a pass this time. - more to come... :)
Sep 14 - 4PM (Reply to #5)
Winter
Winter's picture

Dear Unfreakinreal

What a painful experience! When reading your story I felt your pain, I really did. You have all my compassion, all my empathy and all my support. You gave him all your heart, all your love, BUT NOTHING EVER TOUCHES THEM. They never feel gratitude. People are objects to get their needs met. What can we do? Go NC, mourning the loss of a dream, the loss of a piece of ourselves. Thanks God we have this forum. I know we all are going to be fine one day. Now, we are still in pain. Some of us are doing better, some of us are going through the hell at this very moment. But we ALL are going to be fine one day. You have been already recovered from a toxic relationship in the past. You know what it is. And you know also that it will get better. Maybe in a year or two from now (maybe earlier) you will find yourself again open to a new relationship. We never know what life did reserve to us. Maybe one day we all be grateful to what did happen to us because it will lead us to the place that we would not get otherwise. We will all go through it together! Big hugs
Sep 12 - 10PM
Jannie In the Sun
Jannie In the Sun's picture

Your Story

Glad you are able to start sharing your story and get it out. The hurt is valid and it was easier for me to heal when I began to ALLOW myself whatever I needed to process the wtf. Hang in there and try to take comfort that the people here have all been (and to various degrees) right where you are - things will get better and we don't have to be alone. Hugs and best wishes. Jannie in the Sun
Sep 12 - 11PM (Reply to #2)
Unfreakinreal
Unfreakinreal's picture

Thanks Jannie...

Might take me a few days to get it all out. Reading it makes me sick on one hand and relieved on the other. If it weren't for you and the others here, he would be here right now. And today I can honestly say - I don't want him here.
Oct 20 - 12PM (Reply to #3)
spinning
spinning's picture

UFR, thank you for

sharing your story. I know how painful it is to put it in writing and read it back. It makes me ill, too. You are doing very well, UFR. You are a strong, smart woman. That shines through your writing. Your life will be better than you ever dreamed the farther out of the chaos and confusion you get. Like you, at least for today (I'm almost 12 months out) I can honestly say I don't want him any more. I know too much to "want" an abuser. I know too much to crave being punished, mistreated and manipulated. It still hurts, though. More than I want it to at this point. I am glad you found this forum, though I am sorry you had to land here. Sorry we all had to land here, but this is the place to be for growth, knowledge, understanding, and healing. And even for humor sometimes, too. UFR, thank you for sharing. Keep getting it out. It really does help. Most sincerely, (determined to never again be) spinning. IT'S A FIGHT BUT I'M IN IT FOR THE LONG HAUL

spinning