Sunkistgirl's Story

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sep 6 - 7PM
sunkistbird
sunkistbird's picture

Sunkistgirl's Story

My Story
Well it started back on March 2011. I went to meet some of my friends out for happy hour. As I walked into to the club, there he was. This tall, well built, handsome man. The thing that I noticed most was his well groomed graying beard. I thought, damn he's handsome. Well, I walked to the bar and ordered me a glass of wine. Before I could get my money out of my purse, a twenty dollar bill was handed to me by the handsome man. I accepted, said thank you, introduced myself and walked to the back of the club. Well, before long the handsome man asked me to dance, boy could he dance. He was a smooth operator and quite charming. We exchanged phone numbers and scheduled a dinner date for the next evening. I remember before he got ready to leave the club, he wanted to tell me about his occupation and how much money he made from selling caskets. I thought that was strange, but ok.

The next evening after work, I met him at a local Jazz dinner bar. I remember now how much he talked about himself. He played for the Phillies minor league back in the day but thats not what he said. He said, "he played major pro ball". He talked and talked and talked, I don't think I got a word in, but hell who cared at the time. He asked me out again. I met him in the city and he took me to this very romantic restaurant near the beach. Afterwards we went to the beach and walked and talked. It got really late, so he got us a room with double beds in a high end hotel. I was thinking what a gentleman. The next morning he took me to breakfast, bought us both a change of clothes and we enjoyed the day at the beach. Hell yall, I was thinking how did I get so lucky. Well, it got better and better and better. He even confessed his love for me and I was the best thing that ever happened to him.

By the end of April, I started to see some changes. I took him to a pro basketball game with my bestfriend Don and some other friends. Knowing that Don was my bestfriend caused him alot of stress and anxiety. I was told that my bestfriend wanted me and that it was not a good idea to be friends with him anymore because he didn't trust another man with his woman. I pleaded my case with him but it only seemed to make him more anxious. I stopped talking about Don but secretly kept in contact with him. Well I enventually slept with him and the lovin' was great but he changed like night to day. Hell, I didn't know what was goin on. It confused the hell outta me.

Two months into the relationship and many getaway weekends to different places. I still did not know where he lived. I asked numerous times and I kept getting the same answer, "In due time". Finally after saying I quit this relationship one night, he took me to his mothers house. He asked if I wanted to go in at 1030 pm. I said no, I needed to respect his mother. Well, his behavior got worst. He tried telling me what to wear, I refused. He tried keeping me away from most of my friends by scheduling stuff on the same day. He would stand me up or be late for things I planned and be non chalant about his behavior.

Well, the last draw for me was at the end of July when I decided to go to the beach on my day off without telling him. When he called me that morning I was already at the beach. When he asked what I was doing and I said, "I'm at the beach watching the waves". He went off on me. He called me stupid more times than Forrest Gump had shrimp. Hell I started to laugh at him. He hung up in my face, only to call back about 50 times. I didn't answer. For the first time since dating him, I realized I did not like the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality anymore. I thought hell, I was doing the beach before I met him. I'm not his child. I traveled, I have my own money and I was self sufficient. I don't need his ass.

Well after getting home from the beach, I started reading about verbal abuse. Eventually I somehow ended up on Dr. Irene's website and narcissism. My doorbell rings at 1130pm. I work 12 hour days so he knew I may have to get up at 4 am. Luckily I was off the next day. When he walked in, he was mad as hell. He told me that I had secrets and that I was probably at the beach with another man. I retaliated by saying, I don't know where you are none of the time and I don't appreciate you trying to control me. He didn't respond to that but he was crazy yall. He was saying all kind of stuff. All I can say is half that stuff wasn't even me. I was called a gold diggin' bitch, a selfish whore that can't be trusted and etc., etc., etc. I knew I had to get him the hell outta my house and never see him again. I was scared yall. He left my house, only to return 3 days later after going out of town with the new woman. I blocked all of his calls, so he had no way of contacting but to come to my house. He acted as if nothing was wrong and wanted to make love. I said No and he went off again but this time he grabbed me and shock me alittle, i screamed and my 7yrs. pitbull came to the rescue with a growl. He let me go and left. Its been only a month since i seen or hear from him last. My life has gone on as normal but I have to admit guys I miss that bastard.

Lastly, this was the worst 4 month relationship I have ever had in my life. I need to do some soul searching. Why me and most importantly how me. I have very high self esteem, so I thought. I'm successful in my career. My child is grown. I travel about 4 times a year meeting my friends around the U.S.A. and I was very happy just the way I was until I met him.

Sep 6 - 10PM
drcrnp
drcrnp's picture

Good for you! And good for

Good for you! And good for your dog! I agree with the comment about Our Messed Up Self Esteem. My self esteem was just fine until my N got to it. I don't wear a sandwich board that reads "Come hither all ye Narcissists" They are just plain Out There. A recurring theme that you write about: a first date where he does ALL of the talking and it's ALL about himself. I remember on my first date with the N, sitting there thinking, "Wow. He seems to be having such a wonderful time, and all I need to do is sit here and listen attentively...this is so easy." Next time I meet up with that kind of behavior I'll be gone long before the coach turns back into a pumpkin.
Sep 6 - 9PM
Hereforme
Hereforme's picture

We miss who we thought they were.

It's common I see here. Even though my logic told me he was bad for me my heart and emotions wanted the "illusion" to be true and I missed the illusion of the man for a long time. It will pass. Sparrow had a great quote I think. " "I will always cherish the initial misconception I had of you." That says it all.
Sep 6 - 9PM
Layla
Layla's picture

"In due time"..............

....LOL! What an azzclown he is! "In due time"....wow! what a real MYSTERY MAN HE IS!!! Hahahahaaa!! Loved reading this, and you are one smart lady for trusting your instincts! Great dog too!!! : ) love~ Layla
Sep 6 - 9PM
grace67
grace67's picture

Wow.. ok, you're officially

Wow.. ok, you're officially my hero! lol.. No, really, that was an Awesome job of seeing red flags and keeping your boundaries intact. I wish I'd done half as well! And, I thought the same things.. about "why and how"? I was the same way, feeling like I was finally in a really good place in my life. Self-sufficient, friends, family, dating occasionally.. (my husband passed away in 2005) Then I met n online. In the space of a year and a half total, I was a wreck! Felt like I'd been chewed up and spit out. That's why I don't buy into the whole "it's because we don't have good self-esteem, etc," crap. These people come in and sweep us off our feet! We feel like we've finally found love the way it's "supposed to be". Then the fairy tale turns into a nightmare and we're left wondering what the hell just happened?! I get the whole still missing him, too. I still miss the man I Thought he was. Good advice from everyone here..keep reading, keep learning. Heck, I know more about personality disorders now than I ever dreamed I would..lol Thanks for responding to my post, and finally..your dog ROCKS!!! :D
Sep 6 - 8PM
Sparrow
Sparrow's picture

Love your

Love your story...........meaning, I love that you saw the signs, on your own, with no help from books, web sites, etc................only from your gut. You knew something wasn't right, that is half the battle. I am so glad you decided to research this topic and found our forum. Your guy sounds like a full blown narc to me. Stay clear of him, let him find his supply elsewhere. Don't let him convince you to come back, the damage he causes only gets worse. Good luck to you! Stay strong and continue to read! Great to know you!
Sep 6 - 8PM
Caligirl
Caligirl's picture

When they're smooth operators, it's a red flag,

and this guy was smooth as silk. It's okay, you got away from the guy, and now you know. A normal guy, who is happy with his life, won't need to sweep you off your feet. He wants to take things slower too and make sure you're right for his life too. My exN poured on the charm too, hotel room with two beds and indoor pool. First dinner he was feeding me off his fork and doing it in front of the young waitress, sucking up to her too, you would a thought he wanted a threesome. I felt terribly uncomfortable. I missed the red flag! Keep reading, so you know how these freaks tick. Welcome. Btw, awesome dog! My dog is the same way. Once, when my N was out of control, my dog growled to warn him off. My exN said he'd kick him if he tried anything. Jerk!
Sep 6 - 7PM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Sunkistbird

Welcome, Same guy different body! You miss the fantasy he promised you during the idealization stage! You've never been with a Narc before that's why you didn't head it off sooner! However you did dump his sorry ass and set boundaries, hurray you! It gets better, just let it be known love doesn't happen in a NY minute! It just doesn't, if things move too fast they have a plan to attack like a great white shark! Narcville sucks, when you know better you do better! Hunter