Yes, I broke NC on Sunday - an overview

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 23 - 10AM
terri
terri's picture

Yes, I broke NC on Sunday - an overview

"Now I know that I have a heart because I can feel it breaking." - the Tin Man (The Wizard of Oz)

First of all, thank you to everyone for your supportive comments when I reached out. I must have known within that this was an inevitable conversation for me and I'm not sorry I broke NC. The catalyst was the news of the new girlfriend in the narc's life. I'm not sure where things stand with that - I'm sure they're just getting started. But his choice to begin again with someone new is what I needed to resolve for myself.

He's not cheating. I broke our engagement last year. I set boundaries for him of seeing other women WITHOUT ME in his life or ONLY me. So his choice, even though very hurtful, is his choice. But I must have needed something from him still and I found myself driving over to his house. He must have seen me because he came outside as I drove into his drive and he invited me inside to talk. Unlike the previous 15 months, he didn't refuse to talk about "us". In fact, he seemed to welcome that conversation. He wasn't angry. He wasn't arrogant. But he was different.

There was a half-empty bottle of wine on the counter next to two wine glasses and other telltale signs that someone had been there for dinner the night before. Of course, that was very painful. This was the house that we had picked out together that would be "our" home as a family after we had gotten married. Knowing that another woman had been in that house on a date with him - them preparing a meal together in what was going to be my kitchen - even writing this is difficult today.

But we awkwardly got into a conversation about us. We hadn't really officially ended yet. We had just about ALL BUT ended and I had been NC for the last 7 weeks. We had spent the 6 months between Sept and March beating each other up even more when we were supposed to be trying to work things out (for the umpteenth time). His narc behavior and my anger. After some small talk, I expressed my sadness and fealing of defeat. He said he felt the same way. He said that he just didn't know how to move forward together anymore. We just didn't work. And we didn't.

After an hour and a half of talking - mostly calmly and sadly - he said basically this: "I know you are the love of my life. I can't believe that we have done this to what we had and I'm more sad about that than I can say. But I've thought and thought and I don't know HOW we can fix this anymore. HOW can we fix this? What can we possibly do after everything we've already done? You don't trust me and I don't trust you. We've both said and done things that have caused more damage than can be fixed. As someone told me recently, (narc) you just have to get on with your life. I can't say that I've moved on but I'm trying to move on. We've spent years trying to get back together countless times but now, as hard as this is, and as much as it hurts, what we need to work on now is the painful process of getting past each other."

Surprisingly, I felt the same way. My sadness has been beyond belief but I could honestly feel his sadness too. I felt it all last year after I ended the engagement. Even though he came back, hoovered me back in, and said that he wanted to try to put things back together again, I know now that he was already gone for the most part. I feel lots of things but mainly I just want to be done too.

I tried to confirm that this was finally the end and that he had moved on and he kept replying with "you keep trying to give me an ultimatum, I'm NOT saying that I've moved on. I'm saying that I'm trying to."

He can't commit to a final ending and closure anymore than he could commit to marriage or exclusive partnership.

And, I never mentioned that I knew about the new girlfriend. I couldn't even go there. It didn't really matter anymore. What mattered was that I took one last look around, took a good look at him across the room with a look on his face of resolute indifference and it FELT over. For maybe the first time in 10 years - I felt an ending. He wouldn't say that he had moved on but I felt it. And I left.

So as my friend Onwithmylife said to me yesterday, "he gave you something that many of us never get - closure." I'm not sure that he gave me closure. I took that for myself. But I think he finally gave me an honest answer - as honest as he's capable of. I don't think I came looking for words. I came looking for a feeling - or perhaps a lack of one. And I needed to see him and interact with him in the light of a new situation - one that now included another woman.

We've broken up and "ended" so many times over 10 years that I've lost count. But yesterday and from now on, I'm mourning the death of something very important that has been dying a slow painful death for way too long. It is relieving to say goodbye. I don't want to feel anger. I don't want to feel regret. I just want to start living again and be happy.

May 23 - 9PM
Arwen
Arwen's picture

What?? "How can we fix this?"

What?? "How can we fix this?" Is he out of his freaking mind? (Well, yes he is). That is the the brownest bullshit I think I have ever heard. We?? What we? HE needs to fix "it" and he can't or won't, cause this is who he is. And you're way too kind, way too kind. OMG so glad this is over and I really hope it is for you. Forget the OW...your brother is right on target..no one normal moves on like this, no one.
May 23 - 2PM
Journey
Journey's picture

Terri

Welcome to the place from where you will now move into better days. I know how hard it is and your post brought a tear to my eye because it is a death you are experiencing, but the worst part is over once we accept this and choose to lay it to rest for our own good. In my opinion it is only after the 'burial' takes place in our hearts and minds that we are free to find new life again. ((hugs))

Journey on...

May 23 - 11AM
Happy1
Happy1's picture

terri

You did the closure you needed. I know it's hard to see how quickly they move on and seeing the wine glasses had to be hard, but you have the closure you needed. You're very lucking to have found this site for the support you need right now. Stay close and post as much as you need to get over this hurdle. You're doing great!
May 23 - 11AM
Alibi_10
Alibi_10's picture

Terri

This was areally sad post tk read, very moving but also very dignified. It sounds like you needed to do that for you, and now you have seen for yourself how he was, you can get some peace and. happiness, I hope. Hugs
May 23 - 11AM
Used
Used's picture

terri

this was very moving and very sad and i know painful, but i believe too you were given closure by him, as hurtful as it seems its for the best, ive always thought indiffrence is closure[just my take] and love is love and hate is hate and these are strong emotions. indiffrence is not strong or weak it is just nothing at all. his attitude said it all,and yes maybe 5mnths 5years he may think oh i might look terri up, but that is all it will mean. terri,the quote IF YOU LOVE SOMEONE LET THEM GO. THATS WHAT YOU MUST DO LET HIM GO AND GET ON WITH YOUR OWN LIFE.XXX
May 23 - 11AM
mynewlife2011
mynewlife2011's picture

he's full of SH*T

i don't think this is even closure. It is all part of the mind f*ck. Yes, in my 13 years of marriage to my Narc I saw him act human, even saw tears streaming down his face when he came crawling back after affair 2 and affair 3. He will not change, DO NOT think for one moment that he is riding off into the sunset with the OW. He owns his issues, and unfortuantely now has a new victim. It is so nice that these Narcs CAN move on so quickly because they have no depth of character, and they can turn on and off their feelings in a nanosecond (to suit their needs.) They get off on the lie, and feeling superior because they are so much healthier than their victims who cannot move past the abuse, and betrayal. You were merely a character in the script he created. stay away from him! NC, NC, NC the character in the wizard of Oz your Narc took over was that of the poisonous apple tree, singing "If I only had a conscience!" Work on you, and stay far, far, far away from that guy or you will end up like me- giving 15 years total of your life away to a monster who doesn't have the ability to love, and who doesn't care about anything other than himself.
May 23 - 2PM (Reply to #12)
ewa
ewa's picture

I agree with mynewlife2011 it

I agree with mynewlife2011 it is not a closure what he wanted to give to you. In my opinion he was just trying to stay on good terms with you. Remember not many women is able to stay a supply for a longer period of time. If he is a N, and i believe he is, his relationship with OW with finish sooner or later. It will because there is no relationship with the N. After all this is all about him. NC NC NC
May 23 - 12PM (Reply to #10)
terri
terri's picture

mynewlife

Funny thing that I had to write here regarding the title of your post "he's full of SH*t" Last night, I was crying in my bathroom (which felt really good to just let it out) and my 17-yr old daughter knocked on the door. She wanted to talk about something and wanted me to open the door for a minute. I tried to dry my eyes but she could tell I had been crying and was upset. She didn't know about the narc news so I told her why I was crying. I told her that I had seen and talked to him earlier that day and she asked me what he had said. After I gave her the condensed version, she just got a look on her face and said, "that's bull sh*t!" I asked her why she said that and she said, "it's just bull sh*t Mom - he just doesn't care." She's a very sweet, somewhat soft-spoken girl and we have a great relationship and these words coming out of her mouth were surprising to hear. She has seen through him for years and gave her approval for my sake only. But, even without any experience (directly) or knowledge of narcs - or even any real life or relationship experience - she sees everything and speaks the truth. Out of the mouth of babes.

Believe in yourself!
Terri

May 23 - 3PM (Reply to #11)
ewa
ewa's picture

Yeh, they always give us

Yeh, they always give us bul**hit so there is no sense to communicate with them. Whatever what comes out of their mouth is just lies which they use to manipulate us. There is no way N is going to be honest!!!!
May 23 - 11AM (Reply to #6)
terri
terri's picture

mynewlife

Yes, everything you write is exactly how I feel - well, I'm not sure that he'll try to come back. This time it really did feel done. But that's OK. It actually helps. And I don't really have anger about it...right now. I agree that the most painful part of the new GF is how quickly he was able to find her. How quickly he can go on a big date into the city for dinner and a concert. We live about an hour west of the city so that is quite a commitment for a date and I recognize the effort to impress - I got that too in the early stages. It hurts that my shoes were so easy to fill. It was only about 2 months ago that I was in that kitchen making dinner with him and my son. It hurts that he can so quickly and easily subsitute our presence in that home. It took me many months after my husband left our home before I could have the narc come inside. But as my brother told me (yes- from a man's perspective), it shouldn't be that easy to move on after 10 years with someone that you thought you would be marrying and spending your life with. My brother is hoping that this is the slap in the face that I needed to get on with my own life - as nothing else seemed to be breaking the attachment before this. I hope that I did get my own closure because I think I've begun to accept what's happened and that I was so easily removed and another so easily added. I'm quite sure that I won't have such an easy time of starting a new relationship. But again, as the Tin Man said, I know that I have a heart - a healthy heart - that hurts and grieves appropriately. And healthy hearts do mend in time. And as my new friend Hunter said in so many words - his loss. Sad for the narcs that they never really grasp how many wonderful opportunities for love and happiness they throw away.

Believe in yourself!
Terri

May 23 - 3PM (Reply to #9)
mynewlife2011
mynewlife2011's picture

Terri

you can NEVER be replaced, EVER..remember that hugs and xx
May 23 - 3PM (Reply to #7)
heritage
heritage's picture

terri

I understanbd how you feel about being easily replaced. I think it realyy does confirm the whole NPD thing. He planned on spending the rest of his life with me, talked about our entire future aND when I read about you cooking dinner there a few months ago I can really relate. I was cooking there 3 months ago and he has old gf over to gis house now. It kills me. I am sad today. Not doing well. % years. It was all lies. He's wining and dining, taking her to beach, games. I am far from over it. Tired of the sadness and pain.
May 23 - 3PM (Reply to #8)
heritage
heritage's picture

5 years, not%

5 years, not%
May 23 - 10AM
Jannie In the Sun
Jannie In the Sun's picture

Breaking Contact.

I am so sorry for your hurt and I completely know that pain. I went back too. I set boundaries, I discussed communicating better, being open and honest, sharing, giving space, etc. I laid out a great 'action' plan and he said he would give it a try. Sadly, after three weeks of PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE action speaking louder than words, I saw that I was willing to work on the relationship but he was not. I learned the hard way that NOTHING I do will make a Narc turn back into the man he presented himself to be. My relationship only lasted 10 months but it died a slow painful death too. I finally had to face the truth that he never really wanted to share his dreams with me and he didn't give a damn about mine. His 'fantasy merger' early on was not real. I am still working on my pain. Hang in there and allow yourself to feel your feelings! Love yourself! JITS
May 23 - 10AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Hi Terri, I knew you would

Hi Terri, I knew you would do this, it's ok. You did get closure. It's the end of a chapter! It's time to create new beginnings ! The life with him was not happy it was a tug of war! He left the door open but you need to close it and lock it behind you! You are a beautiful smart woman with a bright future ahead! A man will never complete you he should complement you! Be strong Hunter
May 23 - 10AM (Reply to #3)
terri
terri's picture

Thanks Hunter

Yes, this NC was inevitable, and I think necessary for me to accept the new order of my world. Time to rejoin the human race and see if the universe can start sending some good things to me now. I think I've earned some good karma over the last painful 10 years. Talk to you later.

Believe in yourself!
Terri

May 23 - 10AM
Kiwi2005
Kiwi2005's picture

I cried through that whole

I cried through that whole thing!!! I'm glad that you broke contact and hopefully in a few days when this has all settled you'll see it as "closure" and hopefully be able to positively move on from here. Xoxoxo