GIVING UP's Story

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Apr 19 - 3AM
GIVING UP
GIVING UP's picture

GIVING UP's Story

Thank god I found this board, I thought I was going mad. I`ve been with partner for 11yrs, no marriage, no kids, but we share a business which is in the process of being sold. Something I want, not him as I want to cut all ties. Thought he was N years ago but recent events have made me sure. Still trying to work out why I EVER took up with him and put up with him. Anyway, he has the following, excessive spending, affairs, inappropriate rages, explosive temper, jealous, accusing, giving me silent treatment for no reason, witholding sex, albeit I wouldn`t touch him with a bargepole nowadays. Talking over me, not listening, critical of everybody, even children which I find really sad. So the last straw was him having a heart attack 3wks ago, a real dent to the N ego. How dare anything threaten him manliness and superhumnaness! He was very remorseful in hospital but the day after his treatment, the monster in him came out and is alive and kicking! This man is 52 and once was indeed quite handsome but is no more, is ageing and is gaining weight. Whereas I am 12yrs younger, attractive and somewhat a peacemaker. This obviously drew him to me. So I am at the stage that I have realised we have no future, and never did really. I am exhausted trying to make a normal relationship out of this and when I look at him I feel and mixture of contempt and pity. I so want to be like other couples who do normal `couple` things together. So I don`t want to waste anymore of my precious life on someone who is emotionally impotent etc. Somedays I find it easy to ignore him, others I get really angry and end up crying through frustration. I know this is the hardest bit and I pray that the business sells quickly as it`s the only tie we have. I could list pages of the things he has done, but thank god I`ve had my lightbulb moment. I`m feeling strong as I write this and dread my weaker moments when I am upstairs crying. A week before hs heart attack my horoscope (something I read on a whim) said I would have to draw on my superhuman strength, I wondered what it meant, now I know.

Apr 19 - 3PM
Steph
Steph's picture

Welcome to the board:) Sorry

Welcome to the board:) Sorry for the circumstance that brought you here, but glad you found this site:) You sound like a really strong woman, and you're right, there will be days where you feel "less" strong. You are in great company here though. It helps having people that understand and can give you support. Hang in there and read read read and post post post. We're here for ya!
Apr 19 - 2PM
Alibi_10
Alibi_10's picture

Giving Up

Just wanted to say welcome and sorry for what you have had to endure at the hands of the 'emotionally impotent' one. Keep drawing on the superhuman strength, you obviously have it. I think the Narcs believe they have it, but from what I have read on here and have observed, that is as fake as everything else. Hugs
Apr 19 - 2PM
Deidre40
Deidre40's picture

Welcome! I'm sorry you

Welcome! I'm sorry you endured this. Look forward to getting to know you more. *emotionally impotent*
Apr 19 - 2PM
Scoop
Scoop's picture

Welcome to the board and you

Welcome to the board and you are in the right place and im so glad you found us , i really let out a cheer when a newbie comes our way as it means there is a real chance now for recovory . Im so sorry you have been involved with this POS . Read all you can on the condition , go back through the pages here and make it your mission to learn everything as it is the key to healing . Big love and thanks for being here .. Scoop xx
Apr 19 - 12PM
kgirl
kgirl's picture

GIVING UP....a big warm

GIVING UP....a big warm welcome to the board! I'm so sorry about your situation. You sound like you already have a good start on things. The ladies here are amazing and wise...I'm so glad you found you're way here :) ~KG
Apr 19 - 8AM
terri
terri's picture

Welcome Giving Up

Your story is eerily similar to my own - and I'm sure many others here. You have found a wonderful place with very supportive and understanding people and as with most of us, you will find strength in coming here and reading reading reading. It also helps tremendously to write out your experiences and feelings as sharing offers a release and seems to lighten your load a bit. Yes, it does take time and you will have your weak periods but coming here will help you through. I was engaged to my exN for over 2 years and finally ended it in Feb 2010. I found this forum in Aug and it has been a life-saver. It helped me realize the absolute necessity to go NC and stay NC in order to regain a sense of sanity and "normal". Without NC, you are destined to repeat the same nightmare over and over. Good luck and hopefully, you'll become a part of our little family as you move forward to a better place.

Believe in yourself!
Terri

Apr 19 - 6AM
sara-smile
sara-smile's picture

Giving Up

Welcome! It sounds like you are doing really good for a newbie! I love the "emotionally impotent" comment! HILARIOUS! I think I'm going to use that one to describe my Narc. LOL! Hang in there and stay NC! Keep us updated! Sara
Apr 19 - 6AM
Hunter
Hunter's picture

Giving Up

Welcome, When dealing with a personality disorder the one that suffers most is the partner. You can't change perfection, right? Read,Read,Read, Once you understand your whole attitude will change. You need to go NC (as much as Possible) step away from your situation and analyze it from a distance. Idealk