Child visitation

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mar 19 - 8PM
divorcedfromevil
divorcedfromevil's picture

Child visitation

So exnh has kids this weekend. Ds- 10 - just had his tonsils/adenoids out 1 1/2 weeks ago and still has pain. I tried calling all day to talk to him, but narc won't answer phone. Finally he did and said to stop harassig him it's after 8pm. Someone else answered first and said I am ot supposed to be caling there!!! No court order for that cuz I don't usually! Narc Said police were called because I am harrassing him!!!
So I called police for well-being check to make sure ds is ok and that I want to talk to him.
Did I go too far?

Mar 20 - 8PM
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

reneek's advice

Is dead on...especially the cautioning on the reacting part. They are master manipulators.
Mar 20 - 8PM
reneek
reneek's picture

careful with your legal battle

You piece of trash sounds EXACTLY like mine. When I read what he wrote I thought jeez that is something my daughter's father would say. When you are in it and you are not able to connect with your child, bo,y can you not see clearly. I have lost it so many times and sent similar emails back. It does no good. I don't have the answers. I am looking for mentors myself -- women who did this before me, but what I do know for myself is that these tiffs don't really matter. The courts don't care. Here is what I see -- if you have a crap dad like this -- who uses the child to torment the mother, who is never there, who doesn't call to check in, but gets in front of the right people to claim to be a father who loves his child deeply but is blocked from that child because of the mother even with your proof that he is lying the courts will see differently than how you expect them to. The courts are just happy that a father wants to be involved and you need to shut up and take it. Because don't you know 2 parents are better than one even if one is an abusive a-hole. This is the fundamental belief and value of our system that will not change. This has been my experience. Careful with that Guardian Ad Litem stuff. I thought I had a fool proof case and on its facts it was ... BUT ... these guys are master manipulators and can convince anyone of anything --- eventually his plea though plagued with lies is plausible and no one knows who to believe. So be careful ! Be careful with your emails --- less is more ! Don't argue. In the email above --- get a friend to write it. You are enraged and you are giving him fodder to play with in the legal battle. You need to understand that controlling yourself fully even when you want to talk to your son after surgery will win your war -- this is just a battle. The answer above to his BS -- should've have just been. "After our son had surgery -- it gives him comfort to know that both parents are there for him even when we are not physically together. Please give me a time that works for us to connect." You said "our" son (courts like that), you are stating his needs -- not yours (courts love that) AND you put the ball in his court forcing him to set up a time. If he doesn't he does look like an asshole to the court - put him a position where you look delightful and he looks like a pathological pri***. His ignoring you -- you have to ignore. Sucks big time -- and TRUST ME -- I know. You are going to have to do the oddest thing, but block thoughts of your son out of your mind while he is with his father -- it will be easier and the narc will have less control on you. It goes against everything we, as mothers, are naturally, but to do it --- gives him less control and power over you. Don't waste your money in court - get out as soon as you can ! I am probably about 80K in (never married and never lived together) -- I have to dismiss because the lies made it too difficult to overcome. He lied about everything -- even things that were obvious and I was always on the defensive. It don't look good for me and the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Be careful ! They will lie about EVERYTHING !! they will tell the world you are crazy and with 2 people fighting for so long -- the courts think it is both of you -- as a mother for some crazy reason you have a higher standard. Clean up your image -- don't fight any more -- no more bait --- business emails only. Let them see you as calm, cool and business oriented -- remember when you were a kid and a sibling started a fight and your parents said "I don't care whose fault it is -- stop it." Same thing in court. Give them and him nothing ! Sorry to babble -- but I soo soo sooo sooo connect it isn't even funny. I've been to helll and back ... I am also ready for bed, but wanted to respond before I hit the hay. I feel for you deeply and truthfully your story could be mine in the future ... my daughter's father is a doctor no less, but an absolute moron and does the dumbest things that doctors tell you no to do .... so if this were to happen to us ... oh my goodness the flack I would get would be horrifying, degrading, belitttling, humiliating and so on ... just like yours. Good luck and drop a line.

a woman learning to love again

Mar 20 - 8PM (Reply to #9)
divorcedfromevil

Thank you so much! I am so

Thank you so much! I am so glad you all are here and I am not the crazy one! Had my brother pick them up from police station today (we do all exchanges there)because I just could not even deal with seeing him! Further, my son takes meds every evening (for another condition) and father refuses to give it to him on Sundays. Says it's not his responsibility, but mine. Yeah, so I can keep buying it and he has to spend very little. Today was no different, after all that happened, then tries to blame it ON THE CHILD!!! I really appreciate you all listening to me. I was so ticked last night.
Mar 20 - 10AM
ABC0311
ABC0311's picture

Divorcedgromevil

So sorry you had to go through this last night.... What a jerk! if anything, your experience is teaching me that my custody documents need to be rock-solid. Hugs!
Mar 19 - 10PM
Anonymous's picture

divorcedfromevil

I'm just happening upon this post I apologize... As far as being able to answer the question though, for me it would be difficult because the details are sketchy and moreover, even if you gave a whole painted scenario, on this board, it would be hard to give legal advice, other than if someone else went through a particular thing? Me personally, I haven't been involved in child custody/visitation issues, I know some things but perhaps and I'm guessing here...your question seems to be more legal in nature? Emotionally I can empathize and I understand there isn't an order per se...but whether you went too far or not?... From an emotional point of view, I can understand you'd want to speak with your child and no, my personal opinon, no you didn't BUT...you know that you are dealing with a disordered individual and unfortunately, you may have to go as far as to get a modification to spell out very specifically what the rules are regarding phone calls during visitation. It stands to reason knowing what we know that he will go out of his way to be master chop buster...
Mar 19 - 11PM (Reply to #3)
divorcedfromevil

Thank you for responding. I

Thank you for responding. I finally was able to get the exnh on the phone at 11pm. He answered calling me names and sent the following email after: him: I am tired of your harrasment, stop calling my parents house at 11:00pm at night, you go call your lawyer and tell im what your doing. I told you he is doing fine. How dare you call and say to wake him up at 11:00pm. Your right the lawyers will hear about this, your crazy!!! And regardless of what you think I do live here, and where I spend my other time is none of your business!!! I know he just had surgery, I tried calling him too and I got nothing from you!!! At least Im telling you hes fine nobody needs your harassment anymore we are all tired of it. Let m have my peace with the kids when they are with me, I am perfectly cabable of taking care of them, Im not unstable like you. Leave me and my family alone. Me: I have a right to talk to him. I tried all day. You did not call him once after sugery, don't even try to claim otherwise. I have a right to call your parents' house while they are there, but you do not live there, only on paper. The child just had surgery, still in pain and I am his mother. You're right, attorneys will hear of this. I am tired of playing your games. You are a sick sick thing. And when I called to talk to him, you call me a c***, b****, f*** all my family! That is how you answered the phone. At this time, I do not believe you are capable to handle a goldfish as unstable and a perpetual lier as you are. Maybe I did go a little crazy. I hate this! Further, I don't ever call during his time, but this was different...My son just had surgery, still in pain, still recuperating.
Mar 19 - 11PM (Reply to #4)
Anonymous's picture

divorcedfromevil

Again, from the little bit I know, the best way to handle this is legally with a very detailed plan of how visitation is to be conducted. Details such as: Days of the week visitation is to take place Times *15 minute grace period for lateness...this means if he's supposed to pick the child up at 5:00 pm Friday, if he's not there by 5:15 you have the legal right to deny. NOW - you have to play it smart too...if he calls and is caught up in traffic and he gives you the courtesy of a call, don't be a chop buster, but otherwise enforce so he's trained to at least start using some courtesy. Same thing with drop off...15 minute grace period. AND let him know you will be anxious and if he goes say 1/2 hour late without notification, you will panic and think the child is kidnapped...LOL and ...call the police...this will give you documentation - but go over this with your lawyer...again, it's not about making it all drama for the kids but you do need a tool to keep HIM in line... Phone calls to children...times get that established...daily before 8pm whatever... When the children are visiting...times you can call...sometimes though a judge might not feel you need to call because it is interfering with his visitation time...so you need to speak with your lawyer about this...it could be flipped. AND, while his actions today seem passive aggressive - *classic* the other issue which he blurted out is that he's just as competent...so it's his EGO that had him playing his game today methinks. If you understand the psychology of these guys...my ex was a narc...sometimes you need to pick your battles. THEY are about control but sometimes we are too especially under the circumstances? If you don't mind your child having a relationship and he's a sick jerk but you don't think he'll hurt the kid but will just play these games, then the best strategy in my opionion is pick your battles. Under the circumstances with the kid having surgery I do understand the hypervigilence...but under other circumstances maybe get the stuff in writing legally but don't be so rigid with enforcement. Over time, his games won't get to you as much...I was writing about this earlier how my ex is an okay dad...a NARC but now harmless because I'm not emotionally invested? AND so when his tendencies rise...they don't affect me which in turn causes minimal damage to my kid cause really what can dad do when mom isn't even "aware" he's being an arse?...LOL They are very much like kids...you have to learn how not to reward bad behavior by giving them attention. Want to learn how to deal with a narc...read up on how to discipline a child...it's the same premise! All the best!
Mar 19 - 11PM (Reply to #5)
divorcedfromevil

Thank you. We have a very

Thank you. We have a very detailed parenting plan in place. It spells out times, etc. The plan does state I can talk to the kids while with him. True, it was 11pm, but I tried all day and he purposely did not answer. We have bee divorced for 2 1/2 years, btw. So I know how he is and I usually do pick my battles. I do not bother when they are with him as it is ot worth the exasperation of calling and not getting to talk to them. This was the one weekend in 1 1/2 years that I wanted to check on how ds was. As for parenting, he ignores kids and plays/talks with gf while they are there. So not about the kids, but I just ignore, as he has a total of 27 days a year of visitation (his choice). As soon as gf came into picture, he "has no more use from me". His exact words. Just so frustrated and now worried that he can go in and say I was harrassing him!!!! I just wanted to check on my son for goodness sakes! We are in the midst of WWIII in court right now and I am trying to get sole custody, which was actually brought up by my attorney,I had never even thought I could, so obviously he sucks at parenting, as the judge said I have grounds to file petition. Whether I will get it remains to be seen.
Mar 19 - 11PM (Reply to #6)
Anonymous's picture

Go full throttle with custody

backtrack on events and keep a log of everything... the 27 days all of it... Law guardian can be put in place as well - I think the age of seven they would take into consideration the feelings of the child as well. Again, I'm not in a position to give legal advice the laws state to state vary AND I've never personally been involved in this type of process...just things I've become aware of here and there by accident. Get on the Legal forums and research your behind off... Good luck! AND on a personal note, no I understand fully your concern about your child today...and he was from what it sounds like playing control games today. Don't let it ruffle your feathers. You do know your child is okay. Another angle...maybe get a pay as you go phone for the kid when they're visiting...and you can call the cell phone...that is not harassing anyone...you're talking to your kid...but again, get advice from your lawyer first. You don't especially now want to appear and I've heard men love to play the "parental alienation" card...
Mar 19 - 10PM
divorcedfromevil

Oh well

Oh well, apparently not that important anyway...