Hearts544's Story

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jan 17 - 4PM
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

Hearts544's Story

fool me once shame on you.. fool me twice shame on me

hello- and thank you for letting us have a place to share my story.

i am 28 years old and have only dated narcassitic men in my life. i dont think that their has ever been a boyfriend or even just someone i was dating that did not have these qualities. funny that all of them were either athletes or had a job with power.

The most recent one, was the worst and got to me the deepest. i sometimes wonder if i will recover because its just that deep. He came into my life at a time when i was getting over a man that had cheated on me and married and had a baby all the while i thought i was with him. (told you my past wasnt so pretty with these types) Well when the N walked into my life i was pretty guarded, but he made sure to woo me, treated me as i had never been treated before, called when he said he would call, said some of the sweetest things i have ever heard.. yall know the drill. being that i was still pretty beaten up on the past relationship i kept pushing him away, but the N just kept coming back. So in my fairytale mind i finally said- he keeps coming back for a reason- just go for it. Even though i just kept saying, this guy has to be too good too be true AND i had seen red flags, i thought wow he is very good looking and knows it, he loves himself, he had a job where he was traveling on a race team that was on tv, so he was very proud of that. Basically you catch my drift, he wanted you to know when he walked into a room. And the other side was his perfection to everything. I have to be proud of myself for as much as a failure that this was, i definitly called him out on some of these things.Even though i was so mezmerized by him that i threw this all to the side.

Time went on and i really fell pretty hard for him. HOOK LINE SINKER. As soon as he saw and felt that i was really falling into what he was telling me, things started to just get weird, red flags were going up left and right, at times he was treating me as a booty call, such disrespect, there was even a time where he sent a picture of "himself" if you catch my drift, always asking me what my friends thought of him etc,excuses were being told, disappearing acts were happening, only phone calls from work or in car- not calling all the time as before, but still giving me just enough crumbs meeting me for lunches only- never really talking about hanging out around his family, going in month cycles seeing me and then expecting me to just jump on top of him at the sight of him.

the very last meeting that we had, i seriously think he was only coming over because he thought he could get sex, i called him out and his explaination was probablly as you imagine it. "your always uncomfortable around me, you second guess everything, your such a tease, i told you if we were ever exclusive i know you wouldnt cheat on me" he never would explain any further. He would always leave me very confused and frustrated, i mean this man was the man that sat on my couch that night and told me that he likes to try and figure people out (red flag manipulator)and continued on to go on about how he was so fearful of marriage because he may wake up and not love the person one day. the best of the best was he told me i was not a throw away person and that i should think that him saying that was the sweetest thing that i should have ever heard. After that part of the conversation, he said your just scared, i made sure to say, look im not scared of you persay, but i am scared of the consequences that come after you leave. YOU DISAPPEAR. He left with no sex and hopefully his tail between his legs.
Then the doozie came, i guess i had called him out too much, because he just straight up disappeared. i got injured and was in physical therapy and on crutches, he checked on me one time thru text - and i never heard from him again. i waited 20 days and like it has been said on here, these types are our drug. i caved and texted him. his response to me was, WOW YOU FELL OFF THE MAP! umm really, i didnt even know how to respond. i did the best i knew how with my witty self. i responded with no i just fell off yours. From this moment forward he spoke about hanging out and i was all about it at first as i thought if he can only see me... you know how you get that nostalgic feeling. but the more that i thought about it, i said you know what NO. i cant im exhausted with this. So i sent him a message basically went like this - i dont think we should hang out, i think that their has been some loss of intrest and someone is trying to not hurt feelings. i cant just be your friend. Im not a sexting buddy, a fair weather friend, or a booty call. im a woman looking for a man to spend time with and possibly start a realtionship with. his response was ---- get ready! I did nothing wrong. Yep after months of dealing with all of this, i get i did nothing wrong. i just went silent. i didnt know what else to do. now in a perfect world i would have kept silent and been on my road to recovery. Nope .. didnt happen that way.

I caved... once again. i sat here and thought about well wait maybe i did do something wrong, maybe i am a second guesser, maybe he isnt hiding anything and im looking for it, i still do that some days. i will set boundaries and the go back on them. this man deserves no more ego boost but he for sure got some. I texted him twice and called him once, over the new year and got NOTHING back, no responses no answers- not that i expected them. he had moved on. i cut him off and then tried to go back. i get mad at myself because i think about what if i had just stuck to my guns. but that is not the way the cookie crumbled for me. So here i sit in the present still licking my wounds and wondering how it go this way. how i let someone treat me this way and how i accepted some of the things that he did. i saw him in traffic today as i posted in the vain section, and you just wonder, do they ever step outside of themselves? do they ever feel sorry for why someone that they say they cared for is hurting on their behalf?

what it boils down to, is this N was gone a long time ago, he was never only focused on me no matter what he said, his actions never matched his words, he probablly had a lot of things going on in the background of just him and I, even though i had made it very clear that what i was looking for, where i had come from etc, and he played on all of that,i know all of this will make me stronger, but i have to say it has been one hell of a landslide.
i am in therapy i felt it necessary as it was becoming such a pattern in my life for these types of males to come into my life and for me to allow it.

i am heartbroken but i can say everyday i know if i keep focused i will be okay. i am thankful that i found this website!

thank you for reading and any input and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Jan 27 - 6AM
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Keep Your Guard Up

This guy's gonna be back. Obviously he's got some new supply since he's been silent. But if that well dries up, he may be back. Seems as though you really got his number. Just don't let all those warm & fuzzie feelings cloud your judgment if he contacts you again. Trust yourself. These guys are good. You do 'second guess.' So he tells you a truism. But, it's NOT second guessing him which is the problem. It's second guessing & not trusting your own instincts. So they hit on a truth, but twist it in such a way as to use it to their own benefit, but making it seems as if it's for your benefit, but in our gut we know this just isn't right, but then we love him & start doubting ourselves -- and then CONFUSION - which the N exploits to his own advantage. They get angry if you call them out or get their number. This means YOU are no longer as useful as you once were to them. They vanish. And then the woman starts thinking she did something wrong. Nope. She did the right thing, stood up for herself, would not let herself be easily used -- that's why he vanished. Love is about giving., Ns are about taking. This is why they talk the "love" talk with such facility -- it is through love they can get what they want. but they do not love. It's all so pathological. it's frightening & very creepy. Eveything is the opposite of what it appears to be.
Apr 1 - 8AM (Reply to #15)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

HE CAME BACK

Oh this guy came back, some with my doing but mainly just to be the icing on the whole cake. he came back got what he wanted and vanished, when i questioned him once again and had some what of a rant, just being completely feeling torn down and used. he came back a few weeks later again... just to say he thought we were better off as friends. So you were right, its never changing, a narc is a narc is a narc. if it quacks like a duck it is a duck right? i can no longer take this abuse - he has a life where he lives and keeps me at arms length in the town he works. i feel pathetic but i know that will soon fade, i know i deserve much better than him. he is the one that is a sicko not me!
Jan 24 - 1PM
Searching71
Searching71's picture

Thank you for sharing

Thank you for sharing your story. I have yet to write mine,but every one I read sparks a "OMG, that is him" thought and shows me one more thing that he did that I thought was kind of crappy at the time but didn't know it was related to him being a Narc. I hope you are able to stay far far away and work on you and your recovery and living your best life with out these kinds in your life.
Jan 26 - 12PM (Reply to #13)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

Searching..

I was the same exact way, i found this forum on a whim, and got Lisa's book, really unsure if what i was dealing with would fall into this category. Immediately, i would read someones story or relate to one of the topics and just couldnt believe it. You as a person never think that you would allow someone to treat you the ways that N's treat those close to them. All i can say is this has been the best thing that i have found! It makes me not feel so alone, or so crazy. I know i can access these wonderful words or people anytime. i will be thinking of you, and i say for sure share your story, the feedback helps you for sure!! i am doing okay today, but as you have read from several its an ongoing process. LOL. i know if my heart of hearts it better to be lonely than with this LOSER. :) big hugs to you!
Jan 19 - 6PM
ally2375
ally2375's picture

Hearts544

We have a lot in common. At 36, I also have only been in this type of relationship. I just didn't realize it until this last one took me down so hard I didn't know how to get up again. I finally sought out therapy, as you did. For me, this is SUCH a good thing. I am starting to learn why I choose to get into these kinds of relationships - painful as they are - and how I can make a different choice. I feel so sure the same thing will happen for you. You will learn why you ignore the flags, you will start to connect your gut feelings with your mind, you will develop tools for running away when you see signs of an emotionally unavailable man. That's the awesome part in all of this. The experience (though it sucks right now) will open the door to the kind of relationship you DO want. When the ex comes back (and most certainly, he will) you will be able to confidently RUN, knowing that you deserve so much more better than what he can offer. Your broken heart will heal if you let it, even thought it probably doesn't feel that way right now. Once it does, you will be in a place to receive the kind of TRUE and RECIPROCAL love that you want and should have. Hugs, Ally
Jan 20 - 3PM (Reply to #11)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

ally

thank you so much for your response! it is so good to know that someone has gone and is going thru something very similar to me. its definitly not fun right? but you are so right, the work that i am doing now will open up so many doors to a healthy relationship. my heart is broken but based on an illusion, and i keep telling myself that. it is on its way to healing because i know that that is what i deserve. thank you so much ally, big hugs to you on your journey! we will have to support each other!! :)
Jan 19 - 12PM
gettinbetter
gettinbetter's picture

Hearts keep this story fresh

Hearts keep this story fresh in your mind and when he pops back up just when you have completely healed claiming he is a better person don't you dare give him another chance even if its 20 years from now. I was just your age when things came to end for last time after 5 years on and off with him then I met a wonderful man after him and married him. Then the narc popped back up at the age of 42 yes all these years later to profess his love and then just one day up and dissapear. My point is don't let guard down ever
Jan 20 - 3PM (Reply to #9)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

you are so right, NO GUARDS

you are so right, NO GUARDS WILL EVER BE COMING DOWN!! I remember when i first met him, my guard was up and day by day the N worked his magic to get it down. So for sure i will never doubt my guts again. thank you!
Jan 18 - 3PM
JRB123
JRB123's picture

Long Term - better off without him

I think in the long term you will be thankful that you are not with him. But I understand your hurt feelings. They will pass but it will take time so hang on in there. Sometimes I think we just have to ride out the pain. You sound like a lovely caring person with genuine feelings who deserves better. You will meet someone else one day even if that seems like that last thing you want now. This man sounds totally self centred and with his sort of work, looks and charisma I'm sure he is meeting women all the time - a real player. I am older now, in my 40s. when I was in my 20s I was left broken hearted by a really good looking N - people would comment on how handsome he was - also intelligent with a good job and really funny. I didn't think anyone else would ever compare but as life goes on you do meet better people, both better looking and better on the inside. It just takes a little time. We may think the Ns are unique and special but really they're not. This man would've been a nightmare long term and you would have a life of him being unfaithful and disrespectful. You deserve better. It is hard now but one day you will be glad he went.
Jan 19 - 10AM (Reply to #7)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

JRB

THANK YOU for this response, you have no idea how much it helped me!! i feel like you went thru the same thing that i am just now getting out of. right down to the description. thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. it means so much! i know i deserve better than this N so much more!! right now there is a bit of a hazy to it all but i do know that with focus it will all be okay. thank you again!
Jan 17 - 8PM
Amazed
Amazed's picture

Hearts544

You trusted this guy, that shows you can recover....you want the best in life, and don't lose that,,, You perhaps saw the redflags, his "racer guy" and probably arrogant personality, yet thought it was toned down enough to be real,,, Well these guys, number one red flag is they come across bigger than life, say ALL the right things, at ALL the right times in the beginning, then you find they have a plot for your demise shortly after meeting you. Crap thing is that they have a plan for your demise right from the very beginning. They never intended to be there,,they have more agendas than you would care to keep track of.. Don't let him, or anyone ever manipulate you,,,you know what I am saying,,,begin to see it very clearly, even confront them if necessary. This is key. He wasn't there for you when you needed him, guess what, he isn't there for anyone... Best case for you is that you are outta there, and rid of it.
Jan 17 - 8PM (Reply to #2)
Amazed
Amazed's picture

Other tips that most of us ignored,,,

They don't call you on your birthday. They get you nothing for Valentines day. Then the next year, they hand you a box of frozen chocolates say happy valentines day and walk away. They talk behind your back. They cheat on you in your face. They want all your help, to listen endlessly to their sob stories which is manipulation,, They don't listen to you.
Jan 17 - 9PM (Reply to #3)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

the sad thing

is that i have experienced at least four of these that you listed with the guy from above. where i was at that time i made excuses and made it all okay but now it makes me so sick to think i accepted these things. thank you so much for your post, you have made me feel better- i dont feel so alone.
Jan 19 - 12PM (Reply to #4)
spinning
spinning's picture

Hearts, I'm proud of you

for recognizing a pattern. You are young and have time to work on it and fix it and have a fulfilling life. You have already made steps on the road to fulfillment. I am sorry you had to have this awful experience with someone who sounds exactly like my N and all the other Cluster(f'd)B's on this board. You are already ahead for recognizing that you will not accept anything like this ever again. Hang in there, Hearts. The people here will help a lot. sincerely (trying so hard to stop) spinning

spinning

Jan 20 - 3PM (Reply to #5)
Hearts544
Hearts544's picture

THANK YOU! thank you so much

THANK YOU! thank you so much for encouragement! you have already helped me more than you know!!! im still taking day by day - but i know that the payoff will be a stronger me. and you are right i will never accept this again!!