Leeam's Story

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sep 29 - 7AM
leeam
leeam's picture

Leeam's Story

hi everyone, i'm leeam. a smart, reasonably attractive, 30something single mother with 2 young boys (7 and 4), living far away from home so have no support structure. and somehow i've gotten myself into a big ugly mess when it comes to relationships.

my ex (father of my kids) claims to be a depressive. that life is hard and everything is and everyone is out to get him. he became super controlling, was calling me up at work every 15 minutes and if i did not answer, was calling ever 30 seconds over and over again. he'd drive to my work and look for my car and try to catch sight of me to make sure i was there (if i did not answer my phone, it was usually because i was in meetings). he'd say he was going out, but would then hide in the garden and watch to see if anyone came over (if they did, it was coincidence that they did, but mostly no-one came over) and he'd keep peering through the curtains to see what i was doing (who knows what he thought i was doing). i asked him about getting couples therapy but he denied there were any problems. i always needed less sleep than him and he'd resent if i was awake while he was sleeping. he'd wake up and come shouting at me to go to bed. after i finally threw him out, a year ago, he has been really milking things. he has told all our friends how evil and bad i am and has made up lots of stories. i didn't set anyone straight as i figure friends who dump me like that aren't worth my time, so he effectively took all my friends away, except one. and that one, he has recently started seeing for movies and dinner etc, so i guess i've lost her too now. he told our kids that he might as well kill himself as he has nothing left to live for now that mommy reuined his life. he tells them that he would immediately move back into the house and be with them if i would let him. etc etc etc. so that is great fun. so is he a narcissist?

and then i started seeing a guy who was wonderful. he made me feel things i never felt before and supported me through the abuse my ex gave me. and after 6 months, he started getting mean. always verbally attacking me, putting me down, telling me how fat i am (my belly never looked the same after having my kids) and how stupid and ugly and old etc etc i am. swearing at me. then says i drive him to do it and he doesn't really mean it but that he loves me. he verbally attacks me any time i say something that he disagrees with or that he doesn't like. then if i don't say anything, he attacks me for pulling away from him and not sharing with him. i don't know what to do. he intimidates me and scares me, but i love him more than i thought i could ever love anyone (except my kids) and no matter how hard i try, i can't walk away from him. he doesn't see my kids so they don't know him and he has had no influence on them. he says he loves kids and wants us all to live together, and wants to be a daddy to them and for us to have our own baby too. but what if he started calling me a f**king b**ch in front of them or putting me down? i do not want my kids to see that sort of thing. he says he treats me fantastically and that i am cruel and hurtful and verbally attacking to him which is why he does it back to me (mostly he does it back in anger he says), and if i stop, he will stop, but i don't feel that saying how i feel and what i want is attacking. and i don't feel like i am attacking him. to me, calling people those names and swearing at them and putting them down is not acceptable to do to your enemies, and definately not acceptable to do to someone you love.

so i can't walk away from this guy, but my confidence is destroyed, my self belief and assertiveness and strength is in the gutter and i hate myself and my life.

all the things i think he does to me, he thinks i do to him first. so what is going on? am i nuts? is he a narcissist? am i a narcissist? are we both narcissists? what can i do to fix the relationship? or how can i make myself walk away from the one person in this world who at least sometimes listens to me (even if its only once a month or so)?

im tired of always appologising for things i have no idea im doing and cannot see how what i say could possibly be seen as attacking. im tired of crying every single day. im tired of being physically threatened (he hits the wall and throws things, but has not touched me). im tired of feeling alone and weak, and pressured and stressed. everyone wants a piece of me (i work 50 hours a week and they want more from me, travel 20 hours a week, never get enough sleep) and i have nothing left to give

i just want to smile and laugh and enjoy life. i want a man i love (him) to hold me and share our daily experiences and support each other and buld each other up and be there for each other and be a family with my children. forever.

what can i do? any suggestions are welcome.

Sep 29 - 10AM
janine
janine's picture

Good thing you came here, Leeam

I am sorry for what you have been through. Reading here will help you see whether this man is a narcissist. Though actually it does not matter what he is. He is treating you badly. That is what matters. From the situation you had been in before I totally understand why you felt glad to meet him. But you are not happy with him now, are you? Sounds as if you are holding onto him, so you won't be alone. Try to look at it another way for a moment. You are managing with your life and kids, he is not adding to your happiness. You say that you want to laugh and smile and enjoy life. Are you enjoying what he is giving you? He might become worse, if you continue to put up with his acting. If you are not ready to walk away -and it is hard - try to establish some boundaries. Stick to them. From what I understand you are not actually living with him? Nor should you even consider it, you have to think of your children. Focus your energy on yourself instead of him. Have your own life and friends, so you won't depend on him so much. If then you have to get out (sorry for saying so, but in the end that is what might happen), it will be a bit easier. Don't worry about being a N yourself. You wouldn't be trying to fix the relationship, if you were that. Remember please, one can only try to do that if the other will go along with it, and you can NEVER fix another person. Best wishes to you.
Sep 29 - 4PM (Reply to #2)
leeam
leeam's picture

i guess the reason so many

i guess the reason so many people want to know if their partner is a narcissist or not is to know whether there is any hope that he will change or not. if he is an N then there is no hope. if he (or she) is not, then there is still hope. thanks for the kind words janine. its been a very long time since someone said anything nice to me. i truly appreciate it.
Sep 30 - 4AM (Reply to #3)
michele115 (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Hi Leeam

Welcome! It's late and my mind is frazzled but the current beau does show tendencies. At the least, he is abusive. This relationship is a trainwreck waiting to happen. He hasn't hit you YET. The problem with narcissists...if he is one is that one of the tools they use is psychological attack. It appears that slowly this pattern or shall I say PLAN...(because narcissists TARGET people and you are not seen by the narcissist as a person but an OBJECT)...is already underway and slowly your mind will be eroded. As in sawdust? If you continue in this type of a relationship, you will LITERALLY be left an empty hollow shell and will find it very very difficult to get out from the middle of the vortex. It is an emotional hell you can't imagine. I've noticed a number of victims here who originally had been very sane even tempered logical individuals express their thinking that they may need to be locked in a psych ward after the narcissists were done with them...myself included! It is a RAPE of your mind, your soul and when you realize he's been using you as an object - you even see each time you slept together as a rape of your body. Anyone on this board will back me up on this. You have children. They need you. I don't think your question should be whether or not you should walk away, the question should be, which sneakers will help you RUN the fastest AWAY. This relationship can end up deadly worst case scenario. Narcissists have NO EMPATHY. Which means, no remorse no consciousness for their actions. They get some form of sadistic pleasure watching you get destroyed. You can't save him, or love this away. SO...it sounds like you still have some sanity left. If you value it, I would make the decision to get out of it as in NOW. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is pretty much what you're up against. There is no rhyme or reason to their behavior, AND if you are looking for him to understand and empathize with your feelings, the best I can say - as someone else once suggested...you'd do better to have the conversation with a house plant. All the best...looking forward to communicating more with you. READ READ READ everything you can, arm yourself with knowledge get informed. It is your only weapon.