Someone tell me how to deal with these mixed emotions and read my sad story

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Aug 21 - 7PM
jaycee
jaycee's picture

Someone tell me how to deal with these mixed emotions and read my sad story

I had a really hard time today, I was overjoyed with the fact I was picking my son up at the airport after not seeing him for over a year as he was in Iraq. Yet, I was so emotional because, as you know I threw his N father out while he was over serving our Country. This was the first time I saw him since all of this devastation had occured and the first time I was able to hug him and thank God he came back to me whole and alive. So these mixed emotions really threw my for a loop, when I saw my son I held him for dear life, and cried so hard, not only because I missed him and was so relieved the stress of his deployment was finally over for now, as he will go to Afghanistan next year, oh God. I also cried for the both of us, because I know deep down as much as he says he hates his father and calls him a piece of shit, there is a part of him that would have loved to have had both parents greet him and welcome him home, it has to hurt somewhere inside, as my son knew his whole life his father never really cared for him. My hN always resented our son, as he was my whole world, as much as I adored my hN my son always came first, I could have cared less if the world crashed around me, as long as I had my son, the baby I loved before I even knew him, from the minute I found out I was pregnant I loved this child and knew I would die before I would ever allow anything to happen to him, but in the same regard, look at the father I chose for him, I was young, only twenty five when I had him and I still had figured out that my husband was an N, so I just assumed mothers love their children more, i covered for his dad, wore my mask, allowed the illusion of a family, and the whole time, my son knew, he told me he knew ever since he was a little boy that his father was a piece of shit, yet he still in some ways, very little ways, wanted some validation from that fn N. So today, my dream of my husband and I picking our son up at the airport, was no longer, I did it myself, I drove the two hours alone, waited at the arrival gate, and saw my son, my beautiful wonderful son, my hero, all by myself, and he knew how devastated I was, but knew with all his heart I was there for him, as I have always been there for him, he hugged me so hard and said mom, please dont cry, Im here, Im safe, I love you and I know how much you love me. Then he said Mom, you are skin and bones please start eating for me, as I have never been this thin, its obviously very noticable, I tried to put on a few pounds before he came home, but the stress and saddness eats at me and I can barely take a bite to eat. I just wish I could learn to deal with such mixed emotions, Im sure all of you have been there, please tell me how I can take one emotion and put it away, so I can focus on my happy emotion over the homecoming of my son...............

Aug 24 - 1PM
ShaynasMommy
ShaynasMommy's picture

Yes, Jaycee

I will repeat here what everyone else had just said. You should be immensely proud. Your son is very brave and corageous to serve his country. You raised him that way. Thank God he has you, or else he may have turned out a Narc like his sperm donor! This was the fate ofmy ex N. The guy didnt have a snowball's chance in Hell. His dad is Narc Sr. and his mom is one of the most selfish women I have ever known. She can throw a self pity party like no other. Im surprised N Jr.'s two sisters turned out as well as they did, although they have their own issues. See how important you have been in his life? Well done. He still needs his mom, but now that he is grown, its time for you to learn to nurture yourself again. Betty has a good suggestion with volunteering. Even if its just at a dog and cat shelter. Those poor souls need help getting out of Hell, too.
Aug 24 - 1PM (Reply to #9)
jaycee
jaycee's picture

yes, Jaycee

thanks shaynasmommy, for your kind and beautiful words. I am proud and I do know the one thing my son did get from me is loyalty, and he loves with his entire heart, he is a one woman man, and i love him for that. ps he hates his father and refuses to contact him, doesnt want to see him ever again. He told me he never deserved you ma, and i think hes a piece of shit, as well as many other things, he had a lot to say about growing up with that selfish f**k as he says. lol

Jaycee

Aug 22 - 9AM
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Your brave son

It's a miracle your son is still alive... thank God for that! He is a brave, compassionate young man thanks to you. You're the one giving your son the appreciation and gratitude he truly deserves. You have a noble son... thanks to you!
Aug 22 - 9AM
jaycee
jaycee's picture

mixed emotions

thank you all for your replies, I am too so proud of my son, he is a great young man, and has chosen to do an unselfish act by joing the army in wartime, as he had many opportunities to go to college, but chose his passion, he loves his country and wants to be a soldier. He is home, whole and alive and I am grateful for that. as for my hN his loss, the loss of knowing such an amazing young man, the loss of a son who would have tried to love him despite his downfalls.Thanks again, Jaycee

Jaycee

Aug 22 - 3AM
Klarity Belle
Klarity Belle's picture

Jaycee

Your son is a man now and he sounds like a very good one too. Credit to you and him for raising him so well. It is a blessing that your H did not take an active interest in him growing up because Ns that do take a hands on approach with parenting are usually successful in continuing the N disease through their offspring. Your son had you to teach him empathy and compassion and he has those qualities too. Your son is able to deal with and process his pain regarding his father himself, he is an adult now - YOU need to concentrate on yourself now Jaycee. Grieve but while you are remember to look after yourself, be kind to yourself - eat well, sleep well, congratulate yourself for being the good human being you are. So happy to hear your son is home safe and well. An well done to you for having the courage to get your N husband out of your life. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "The deeper that sadness carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." ~ Kahlil Gibran "That which we do not confront in ourselves we meet as fate" ~ Carl Jung http://www.storyofmylife.com/KLARITY4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The deeper that sadness carves into your being, the more joy you can contain." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"That which we do not confront in ourselves we meet as fate" ~ Carl Jung

http://www.storyofmylife.com/KLARITY4

Aug 21 - 11PM
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

jaycee

Emotions just pour out in the most unexpected ways during what was such an incredibly emotional reunion. Your son sees how you have suffered by being so thin, show him now how his return revives you. That is the most important thing - show him how you overcome and thrive now that he is safe at home. Not only will it change your life but it will ease transition for him by seeing that you will be ok. I know you are the kind of Mother that will understand what this will mean to your son so you can do it. And perhaps much of your demise was his absence in such a dangerous situation. Now that he is safe, you are safe as well in what is most important to you. There is nothing like a Mother's love for her son. I can feel the tears welling up when I write this. My son loves his Mom and I am soooooo proud of him. I would fight to the death for him. Your son will have to deal with his 'Father' issues and it is so so sad but he will come to terms with it. He will most of all be thankful that he had a real Mother to make up for the difference. And most likely he will strive to be a great Father for his children because of it. It is sad his Father wasn't there, but what he will remember most is that you were. Stay strong. I was skin and bones for a while there too but I'm ok now. I did it for my children first and for me second. I want them to learn from my strengths not my weaknesses. And I think it's working. I'm so so happy your son is home and safe. My heart goes out to you. From one Mother to another, I understand completely. almostlydia

almostlydia

Aug 21 - 10PM
faithinthefuture
faithinthefuture's picture

You need to proud

Jaycee you need to go look in the mirror and be soo proud of the woman and mother you are and the son you have raised. Your son is giving himself for our country. That to me is the most unselfish act in the whole wide world! My son isn't in the service so I can't imagine the worry you feel every second of every day for him. Your son is so proud of you! You can tell that by what he said to you. And he worries about you. Mine does too. There is a bond between a mother & son that compares to nothing. Yes they want & strive for the approval from their dads but the love we have with them keeps their heart going. My brother is 50 yrs old and to this day will put down our dad and act the tough guy that it doesn't matter what "the old man" thinks of him. You and I know better. And our heart goes out to them. This time is for you and your precious son. don't give a thought to the N. He doesn't deserve it. Soak up every moment with your son. And smile! You are both so very special. You and your son will be in my prayers tonite. God Bless You Both.
Aug 21 - 9PM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

My heart breaks for you

My heart breaks for you tonight. I want you to know that what you did today was a major major step. It is so hard to begin to pick up the pieces of our broken lives after all the abuse we went though. You are a wonderful mother. Your son is the luckiest angel on earth to have you. Although your plate is full now you still manage to have the strength to be there for him. You will get stronger as time goes. Your here and your taking action on regaining your life back. Its baby steps. We cannot stop the flow of emotions we go through. These stages of recovery take place in all of us. We experience them on different levels or degrees and in different time frames but we all go though them. It is painful but necessary. What i found that helped me at my worse was reaching out to others in need. I volunteered at the shelter serving meals on Saturdays. I didn't just show up to work but would make attempts to engage in conversation with them and listen to the story's they would share about their life experiences. Sometimes my mind would wander to the N, but i went back the next week and would try again to make an attempt to listen. I had a tough time initially as i really didn't feel strong enough to even stand there but i still went back, sometimes i would cry and run to the bathroom. Eventually i found that i not only began to hear them talking but i actually couldn't wait till i could hear another crazy story that they would share with me. Some of them were a real hoot. I did this under the advice of a dear friend. I didnt really get it at first but i was in so much pain that i would have done anything to relieve it. I realize that my friend was helping me shift my obsessive thoughts and focus in a more positive direction. This was a big step for me. Im not advising you to run to the shelter, but my point is that in the beginning when we cant seem to function even in our basic daily needs for life, we sometime have to try something new that can help to refocus and give us new perspective. It begins with just the action itself. It could be spending time with your son and listening to his story's of the war. Share time with the elderly, they have so many story's to share. Go to lunch with a friend that you haven't seen in a long time, you have a lot of catching up to do. Just try to take the action and be patient for the result. And make sure to stay close to us. And God Bless your son!!Please tell him how much i love and respect him for all he is doing for our country! Big love to you tonight.....xoxox only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Aug 21 - 9PM
tica
tica's picture

I READ YOU

I have a son also who is now 19 and not seen his dad for 2 tears..his father was a bit differ3nt at being a narc,,spoiled us all for 20 years yet in the last few years afer repressing his true self..spiraled deep and hasn't been seen since...like youre son, i know he would love to see his dad be the dad he knew, but my son loves that i am always there for him..and he has stepped up as had my daughter..sometimes it's just us to provide..you sounds like a wonderful mom and woman..just like the snowgoose, you need be nothing but what you are...my prayers are with you..tica