positivefuture's story

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jul 9 - 4PM
positivefuture
positivefuture's picture

positivefuture's story

I must say it feels so good to finally have an outlet to let it OUT! So forgive me if this ends up being long 

We met 27 years ago. He was my best friend through most of high school and afterwards. I never felt romantic feelings for him when we were young, but we did try a few times (he even proposed several times) to make it work romantically – but I just never could feel anything but friendship for him. Over the years we’d connect, lose touch (mostly because of me) and connect again. He’d always tell me upon reconnection I was the love of his life, but it just never ever felt more than friendship to me. He married, had kids, divorced, etc. We lost touch from 2003 until this past January 2010. When we reconnected I was finally ready for him romantically. And he was EVERYTHING to me, as he always had been. This was the man that I always knew would love me unconditionally, treat me like a queen, put me on a pedestal, and I could trust with 100% certainty that he would never EVER hurt me ….oh, you where I am going LOL.

The mask was on for about 8 weeks. It was so amazing. The constant love adoration affection sex talks laughs red flags….did I say red flags. Yes, but I ignored them because he obviously loved me. I was the love of his life as he said. He even thought of me when making love to his ex-wife (when they were married). The control started right away. Day one, but I overlooked it because it just meant he loved me so much. The insults and control and manipulation was all surrounded by so much love and affection, it was easy to look the other way. But my gut knew something was wrong. I won’t go into all the abuse, lies, manipulation, twists and turns here. I tried to be better, prettier, stronger, more loving, listen to him, But one of the times we were having a “talk” he told me all our problems started because I was questioning him about his ex….I wasn’t, never had, never would, it was completely not true and I KNEW he was lying and demented. This lie coupled with everything else made me start to research abuse which eventually led me to this forum (thank goodness!!!).

I am only two days no contact, however, my friend saw him hanging around the place we work (he doesn’t live in the same city as I do so he should not be here!), and his sister emailed me 3 times yesterday to find out if she could come visit sometime in the next few months. I know he put her up to it. I haven’t blocked him yet; for some reason I am afraid to hurt his feelings, and maybe (like someone very insightful posted earlier) I am still looking for him to validate me – miss me – contact me, so I can feel good about myself for a minute…..until he gives me the next line of bs, abuse, or whatever. After all of the times he hurt MY feelings, why am I worried about his?

This is beyond strange!

BUT – thank you all for all the posts, because your support, insights, subjects, recommendations have already helped me so much. I’ve been reading the boards for about 3 weeks now 

Best (to all of us!),

Positive Future

Jul 11 - 4PM
Steph
Steph's picture

I love your user name. Very

I love your user name. Very encouraging:) Wow. I felt bad enough being duped for the shorter time I was, can't imagine this happening with a lifelong "friend'. I am so sorry this happened to you. Glad that you found your way here to. This site is a blessing because everyone here gets it. Anyways, welcome and good luck as you move forward with your recovery:) xoxo
Jul 9 - 5PM
SBlaze86
SBlaze86's picture

Re: positive future story

I am so glad for you, positivefuture. It is not easy disconnecting from such a seemingly 'great catch'...especially given the extensive history you share with your former partner. I can completely relate to your feeling perplexed about wondering why you're so concerned with his feelings when he's never been interested in yours. This is certainly the humanity that separates us from people who suffer from narcissism. Your newfound liberty is encouraging and reignites my own passion for continuing to grow stronger and remain grounded in who I am rather than living for the validation of an abuser.
Jul 29 - 1PM (Reply to #3)
ShaynasMommy
ShaynasMommy's picture

I love that statement

"This is certainly the humanity that separates us from people who suffer from narcissism." I think that about sums it up. The missing element is humanity. It may hurt to have normal human emotions sometimes, but the benefits of being able to feel FAR outweigh the potential for pain. Being vunerable is what enables most of us to have times of great joy and happiness in our lives with our loved ones. Since N's cannot feel, they will never have this. Ever. Boo-hoo. Their lives will always be lacking, unsatisfactory, even miserable considering the way they abuse themselves and others. I thank the Lord every day that I don't have the misfortune of having a personality disorder. There is a saying that goes "let no man be happy until he is dead." This sentiment was practically invented for Narcs.
Jul 9 - 6PM (Reply to #2)
positivefuture
positivefuture's picture

thank you :)

yes, the extensive history gave him my immediate trust, 100% of it, and then i was so completely in denial because geez, i've known him for more than half my life and ALWAYS thought someday he'd be the one. my whole family thought so and so did his. i just couldn't get my brain to accept this was who he was. but i tried "things" like tests to see the reaction - and it was always predictable in a narc way. plus all the stories i'd read made me think he had dated every woman on this board until i realized they are just all the same. thanks for the support. and thanks for reading my story.