Briseis's story

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 29 - 2PM
Briseis
Briseis's picture

Briseis's story

Thanks so much for allowing me to join :)
(I am also known here as Allie)

I was in a seven year relationship with a man who I thought was a devoted Christian and family man. I met him at work at UCSD hospital, and he was a well respected and popular staff member on the unit. Everyone liked him. The women LOVED him lol. As I got to know him, he told of a wife and a son he'd lost when she moved back to Japan (he was in the Navy). She hated America and refused to go anywhere without him. She was so miserable he sent her home to visit her mother, and she never came back. And he loved her and missed her, and talked fondly of her and his son.

He just wanted to be a father and a husband. I was a single mother with two adolescent children who were good kids but getting to that "age", if you know what I mean. I worked full time, and they were getting into things when I wasn't there. Their own father was long gone and never cared anyway. They needed a Dad, and I was tired of being alone. He wanted to be a Dad. He seemed interested in the kids, and talked all kinds of stuff about what he would do for them and me.

I fell for him like a ton of bricks. We had a whirlwind three month dating relationship before he moved in. He was still married to his first wife (because she refused to divorce him) and so we had our "own" special ceremony, and called ourselves husband and wife, and to this day, I call him my husband . . . or rather, ex husband.

Within a week of our "marriage", the cat came out of the bag. The devoted Christian man smoked a lot of marijuana and cursed foully. He was horrified at the way the children behaved (they did not fall on their knees and worship him). He told me I had ruined my children. I was a terrible housekeeper and my clothing was "immodest". I had "idols" all over the house that needed getting rid of NOW (african dolls, books about astrology). He told me he regretted EVER "marrying" me, I destroyed his relationship with God. He told me he had a history of drugs and had just gotten his life back together and I was ruining it, making him NEED to smoke marijuana and curse and do things he knew was wrong.

I was in shock for months, trying so HARD to fix the problem. I took total responsibility for ruining my kids, and being such a huge disappointment to him. I cooked and cleaned and wore longer dresses. I bought Dr Laura's The Care and Feeding of Husbands. I read "Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus" and excused most of his terrible raging and painful silences as "male communication".

After that first terrible year passed, I sort of came back to my old self. This devoted Christian man who wanted nothing but to be a husband and a Dad was nothing of the sort. He was a vulnerable boy. He was a brat. He had his good points, but it was a lot like living with a slightly evil younger brother. I loved him deeply, and thanks to trauma bonding, was deeply devoted to him and hung on his every mood.

I started drinking alcohol rather heavily by the fourth year of the relationship. Just at night, so I could sleep. The times I drank crept earlier and earlier, so that I ran home as fast as I could and started drinking. I could bear to be around him when I drank. I sat back, drunk, and watched him chase my children away. My son ran away and never came back home. So did my daughter. He had me to himself, finally.

After years of pressure, I agreed to sell my house we lived in and move to north Idaho, where he could live the life he always wanted. Hunting, fishing and homesteading. I liked the idea of farm animals and gardening too. Off we went. I left my children, 19 and 17 years old, behind me.

Within a few months, my exH was using methamphetamine. I was stuck on a remote property with him, no job, and deathly afraid of the strange north Idahoans LOL . He fit right in. He bought many guns and stocked up on ammunition. He bought books by Boston Tea Party and hosted loud terrifying parties that he "financed" with drugs and alcohol. He threatened to kill me when I tried to stop him driving off stoned or drunk. He'd disappear for two weeks on meth binges, and return home and sleep for a few days and threaten to kill me when I confronted him. He told me the sheriff's were his friends and they'd never believe me if I called them. I believed THAT, and as you can imagine, I was a complete wreck at this point. I had a herd of goats, I had a whole homestead with big garden, chickens, turkeys, geese, guineafowl, dairy goats needing milking twice a day, and goat kids cavorting.

I couldnt just LEAVE them. I couldn't ask for help because no one would believe me.

One day, a week or so after he disappeared, a sheriff drove up the long drive way. He told me my H was in the ER after being tased by the police, and that H wanted me to call him. Instead, I begged the sheriff to help me.

It turns out there were NOT his "buddies". THey had been watching him for over a year. They told me stuff they knew he'd done but couldn't bust him. We made a deal: if I would let them toss my house without getting a warrant, I would get a restraining order. So they confiscated marijuana and about sixteen guns. I kept my own pistol. Off he went to jail.

I've never talked to him directly since. That was June 2007. I found a forum board about abusive relationships a few weeks after I got rid of him, and for the first time realized what actually HAPPENED to me. THe description of Narcissistic personality disorder and antisocial (psychopathic) personality fit him so perfectly I couldn't believe I never saw it.

It's been both a terrible three years and in the last year, a time of great healing. We can and DO survive these monsters. Being a member of a community to support me, of people who knew what I'd gone through was what made it happen.

There are "bad" people all over. What I learned (am learning) is how to keep them at a distance and focus on my life. I think I might actually be happy most of the time now :) I am not interested in another relationship, but I do believe there are good men out there. And good people. I was so trusting and naive, but not anymore.

Thanks for reading my story :) I hope to get to know folks here and join in soon :)

Sep 7 - 11PM
lisalisa47
lisalisa47's picture

Your story should be on lifetime

GEEZ girl. What a changaroo. It's almost like he pulled off that uncomfortable scratchy "human being" suit, so he could let the monster come out and breathe.... You had NO idea, he was THAT good at hiding himself. Mine, on the other hand - well, they say that if you look hard enough, a person who tell you who he is within 5 minutes of meeting him. Here are the signs I "conveniently" overlooked. He constantly put down his ex wife, the WHORE, who left him when she found out he had CANCER! (That is where i came in, to clean up the pieces LOL) He let me read his emails to her (I thought he was "quirky" instead of "crazy" lol) and i swear there were a few that bothered me because she sounded sad and NORMAL. Which she probably was. When things got really bad, he started using every day, and becoming a first neglectful, then verbally abusive person. I found out later from his sister he did have a history of beating women but luckily, i didn't have go through that besides the kick to the shin the day he was arrested. I am a bit afraid he may try to find me because of our dog though. Do you have any knowledge of what they give someone for felonies like identity theft and embezzlement?

LML

Aug 5 - 5PM
ShaynasMommy
ShaynasMommy's picture

Breisis,

I was encouraged by the N to read "Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus." I got through 1/4 of it and started laughing uncontrollably. What a load of male one sided crap!
Aug 4 - 11AM
helldweller
helldweller's picture

Allie

Just read your story. Jesus, what a nightmare! When I started reading, it really hit home because I had the same lines from mine about the long lost love, being too hurt to find anyone else, just wanting to be a husband and father, etc. etc. But Good Lord, your story is devastating. I started drinking, too, to deal with the pain and disbelief. You really are remarkable.
Jul 26 - 11PM
almostlydia
almostlydia's picture

Wow, you are truly a

Wow, you are truly a remarkable woman to have survived such a horror and to have such an amazingly positive outlook. I hope one day your children will find their way back and see what an incredible survivor their Mother is. You are truly a testament to 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger'. So glad you are here.

almostlydia

Jul 26 - 5PM
starofthesea
starofthesea's picture

Dear Briseis

I've only been here a few days, but I love reading your punchy and compassionate advice to others. Your life experience really shows. I was actually thinking that you sounds like a trained counsellor, because your advice to others is so spot on. I am so glad you got away from this man, and that you haven't looked back. I hope that I can be as strong as you.
Jul 23 - 6PM
MelloMix
MelloMix's picture

Hi Briseis

I am new here too and just read your story. So glad he's out of your life now. One thing I'm wondering about is whether you are back in contact with your kids. The N/P's can do so much damage in the name of 'helping'. They really are dispicable evil liars. Mello
Jul 18 - 4PM
ewa
ewa's picture

I am proud of you. Good you

I am proud of you. Good you had enough power to get rid of him from your life!
Jul 17 - 3PM
betty2020
betty2020's picture

Wow, Briseis. you are a

Wow, Briseis. you are a remarkable woman. This is quiet a story and you seem so strong and well adjusted for what you have endured. I am so happy to have you with us and looking forward to hearing many great post from you.. xoxoxox only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

only one way to go...Forward (tm?)

Jul 4 - 8AM
SBlaze86
SBlaze86's picture

RE: Breseis's Story

It's so great to hear you're recovering and getting back to yourself. It's scary to think that seemingly exemplary people who've earned the trust and admiration of many of us can be such vapid, vile and lonesome individuals beneath the surface. It's heartbreaking that someone so Christ-oriented behaves more like the Anti-Christ! You are truly an exceptionally strong person to still have your faith in tact and still have such a positive outlook on life, fully knowing that there are other good men and women out there in spite of the seemingly endless masses of 'bad', broken people.I pray the path continues to grows easier for you...it seems that it already has.
Jul 3 - 9PM
Introspection
Introspection's picture

Welcome to the family...

What a jerk! Don't know how these monsters live with themselves. They use us, abuse us and it is never enough, we are their property. Those of us who escaped this torture and still live to talk about it are truly lucky. You suffered a lot and I wish their was a way to make it all go away, unfortuneatly, it will require a lot of work and mental deprogramming. You should seek professional assistance for PTSD. According to your story, you have gone no contact. Remain no contact and don't let him find you anymore. Find your family and get close to them again, you will need them during the recovery process. Take care of yourself, eat well and remain active; the sun will lift your spirits. Journal your thoughts and do not allow yourself to go into the dark, control your thoughts. Welcome to the family and do share your thoughts with us, it helps to see things from other people's perspective. (((HUGS)))
Jun 29 - 5PM
Steph
Steph's picture

Wow. You have been in hell

Wow. You have been in hell with him. More importantly, you have made it OUT of hell. What a psychopath. Glad you found your way here:) I am sure you will be able to offer many here support, knowledge and insight. You sound like a very strong woman and the fact that you say now you are happy most of the time is inspiring. Recovery is possible! Welcome and thank you so much for sharing your story:)