Narcissists & Road Rage

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Jun 25 - 8AM
Lisa E. Scott
Lisa E. Scott's picture

Narcissists & Road Rage

This topic came up in an earlier discussion thread. Many of us agree that our narcissists have horrible road rage. I know mind did. I think it's definitely a red flag to add to our list.

Found this today on the internet, which confirms our opinion:

Narcissism and Aggressive Driving: Is an Inflated View of the Self a Road Hazard?

Authors: Lustman, Michèle; Wiesenthal, DavidL.1; Flett, GordonL.1

Source: Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Volume 40, Number 6, June 2010 , pp. 1423-1449(27)

Publisher: Blackwell Publishing

Abstract:

A total of 210 drivers varying in levels of trait narcissism were presented with 10 scenarios of objectionable driving situations and were asked to make assessments of intentionality, level of inconsideration, and anger and to indicate the behavioral responses they would likely make in such situations. It was hypothesized that responses would reflect attributions made in assessing the behaviors of other motorists. Our results confirmed the associations among attributions, anger, and behavioral reactions. Positive correlations were found between attributions and levels of anger and driver aggression. Individuals high in narcissism were also found to respond more aggressively toward the frustrating driving behavior of others, but this relationship varied by gender and anger experience.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bpl/jasp/2010/00000040/00000006/ar...

Jun 27 - 12PM
Janet
Janet's picture

Terrible driver, absolutely

Terrible driver, absolutely no consideration for others. I rolled my car on the cross-country journey out to CA to be with him, so I was understandably pretty nervous in the car. On our weekly ski trips to Tahoe, in snowy conditions, he would drive terribly and I was scared, he considerate response was to mimic me and say "road, road, ROAD..." and he encouraged his 6 year old son to do the same. I am ashamed to say that I (and I let his son) get in the car with him,after he had several beers, maybe some Kaluha, Bailey's and coffee, smoked weed and some xanax to top it all off...he actually had a little tv screen set up and would play movies for the 4 hour drive home, and would adjust the screen so he could watch. In November he totalled his car and crashed into 3 others (high as a kite of course). And I read that he got a DUI in April. What a winner. Peace. J

Peace. J

Jun 27 - 12PM
Steph
Steph's picture

First N that I was with 7

First N that I was with 7 years had major road rage. Scared the absolute shit out of me many times. Definate control thing. Took me years after before I was able to be a passenger in anyone's car. Second N, with him total 1 and a half years. Was an angry driver as well....not to the extent of the first but I'm sure he could have been. Huge red flag. Will never date a road rager again!
Jun 27 - 12PM
NinjaGirl
NinjaGirl's picture

Oh my gosh, yes!

My ex-N did have road rage. Not to extreme levels most of the time, but he'd always complain about other drivers and occasionally get really mad. Ironically, he wasn't a great driver. Not terribly careful. And when he did get pulled over and got tickets, of course it was always the cop's fault, or someone's fault. Never his own.
Jun 27 - 11AM
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Road Rage

Post-N . . . I am very sensitive to road rage. Any person, male or female, I will never get into the car again with them. I think it is "controlling" behavior on the part of the rager. Their grandiose view of reality & nobody can get in their way.
Jun 25 - 9AM
GIJ
GIJ's picture

Angry narc rage

It's funny - again, my narc teaches about how you can control your life experience by controlling your thoughts. He often uses road rage as the perfect time to exercise this skill - to be patient, practice gratitude, live in the moment, etc. Yet his staff won't ride with HIM because he is so reckless behind the wheel. Classic "do as i say, not as I do." I'm entitled, you are not. Just when I think I have these people figured out, I get more validation.
Jun 27 - 11AM (Reply to #2)
agnesmurphy17
agnesmurphy17's picture

Mine Too.

"my narc teaches about how you can control your life experience by controlling your thoughts" Your's is like my ex-N - very dangerous, into the total mindf**k. Mine told me, early on, I was too stupid to see the Red Flag. He told me, "My ex-wife thought I had anger issues. But, then, one day I was driving with another woman & there was an incident which would have angered any driver. And, I was calm. She said, 'Wow! You handled that well.'" So, my N, too, was a master manipulater. His ex-wife did not understand him, was over-sensitive, and he was unfairly judged. My N only revealed his RAGE, after we married. And, reserved it exclusively for MY benefit and only in the privacy of OUR home. Always spoke about me very highly to others & was very nice in public. Who would believe me if I said that polite, educated and sensitive man was a dangerous psychopath?
Jun 27 - 12PM (Reply to #3)
GIJ
GIJ's picture

Rage behind the scenes

Yes, publicly mine has been complimentary, too. He puts on quite a front to the outside world. He does this with everyone. (So I'm not THAT special and one of his many prey). Totally infuriating. Behind the scenes it is quite another story. Watching how he treats others was one of my first clues. He thinks he's covering his tracks, but he actually has left an easy trail to follow for the careful and well trained observer...or those unfortunate to get close enough to get burned. I have no plans to inform others because I also know they would need to see it or experience it for themselves. Although I have to say, he does do things publicly that are major red flags. He does a good job of sabotaging himself professionally. It is a total turnoff to many, but not all who put him on a pedestal. Sorry you had to deal with a narc. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Except, of course, other narcs!!
Jun 29 - 5PM (Reply to #4)
drivencrazyinflorida
drivencrazyinflorida's picture

My N's Road Rage

He can't go 5 miles without getting into an altercation, flipping somebody off, trying to run them off the road or being a general asshole. He has had a gun pulled on him once when he followed someone to the end of a dead end road. The guy said "turn around and leave or you are dead." Sometimes I wished he had stayed.
Jun 29 - 9PM (Reply to #5)
James (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

Road Rage

Just to chime in my ex too was a inconsiderate nasty person on the road and would yell criticizes other drivers as if they didn't know how to drive. Also to mention how she use her car horn like a gun. In fact used it so often I had to beg her to stop it from time to time. I told her how one day she will piss off the wrong person. Driving and traffic is stressful enough so why honk at a person for making a simply mistake? Of course those without empathy have a hard time understanding this simply principle. So yes Lisa, I agree those who display behavior of "Road Rage" are really just showing their true colors! http://james-personalitydisorder.blogspot.com/