a question about Ns and female 'friends' - emotional cheating? lying? N supply?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 May 3 - 3PM
littlestbird
littlestbird's picture

a question about Ns and female 'friends' - emotional cheating? lying? N supply?

firstly, my anti anxiety meds i just got this week seem to be helping beautifully, preventing me from having crying spells at work. yay!

but my question... anyone else's N have *lots* of "friends" who were women? mine would make coffee or lunch dates with them that would sometimes last all day. he would be very good at keeping those dates, and would tell me, "oh i have plans with heather, i have plans with katie." he would make it seem like it was imperative to see these people, and would never answer my phone calls if i interrupted their "date". he used to say that he just "didn't like talking on the phone" or that it was "rude to answer the phone when entertaining his friends." (they hypocrisy that lay in all of this is that he had no problem answering the phone when he was with me, and during our long distance courtship, he had no phone phobia as well talked on the phone for hours every night...he would also without a care break plans with me, blow me off, ignore me when we had made plans, and use all kinds of selfish excuses for it...ultimately insisting in accept the fact that he is a "flake" (c'mon, you KNOW i'm a flake). i just wish i had felt half as important as "his" other girls. i don't think he was having sex with them, because he would tell me they had boyfriends of their own or they simply had a very "deep connection". but i was rarely invited to meet these women...or participate in their day-long gathering. plus, him and i hardly had a day off work together, and he was more likely to make a date with a female "friend" rather than ask me what i was doing. *sigh* this is hard for me. it just made me feel like, "what do they have that i don't?" i would try to call him and he would text me back during a date with a female friend, simply stating, "i can't talk, i am having fun. call you later." 8 hours later. late enough so i could see him for a booty call. eff that. more than anything i think he really got a kick out of having really sicky sweet women listen to him and validate how marvelous he is...how unique, adventurous, intelligent, funny, caring, community oriented. his status among people is his top priority. why did i feel so much like a stupid little woman, in love with this little boy, waiting for him to demonstrate that he cared. anyone connect to this? anyone???

Dec 23 - 10AM
Peaceseeker
Peaceseeker's picture

Thanks so much for this

May 4 - 7PM
narcnarcwhosthere (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

he had no friends.......

but most of his enablers and proxies were women....and most of his victims were women......he saw most men as authority figures, i think...and somewhat feared their wrath...
May 4 - 8PM (Reply to #25)
Susan32
Susan32's picture

Lack of colleagues

My ex-N had some male friends... but they were all MUCH younger than him and thought he was the philosophy guru (his writing, BTW, is the epitome of mediocrity and a surefire cure for insomnia--he was,after all,a predator drone) One of his colleagues (whom I'm still friends with, have been for the past decade) simply referred to him as "different"--as if anything more would be insulting. My ex-N ignored an older male colleague who made the mistake of calling him by his first name instead of his surname. I told him it was rude. His colleagues,for the most part, avoided him as if he were a leper. That says something,doesn't it? Even when he wrote a philosophical essay, he thanked a colleague he happens to share an office with--not a fellow colleague who was also an alum from the same university(!!!) It took SEVEN YEARS for my ex-N to get his master's degree... people get amazed by the length of THAT...
May 4 - 7PM
narcnarcwhosthere (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

he had no friends.......

but most of his enablers and proxies were women....and most of his victims were women......he hate all women...and really enjoyed screwing over women more than he enjoyed screwing over men....
May 4 - 10AM
livewpsycobabble
livewpsycobabble's picture

Same cracked mold

Mine has lots of female friends too! Go figure! I used to get upset but not anymore. Sometimes he will let "slip" a female name to see what kind of reaction he will get out of me. I just smile and say; "that's nice." Throws him for a loop.
May 4 - 8AM
The Girlfriend ...
The Girlfriend of Dr Jekyl's picture

They are all Clones!

Yep! My N BF psychopath does this...never in my life have I ever met anyone with such an obvious insatiable need for attention from the ladies. He charms the panties off of any unaware & willing gal with alot of flattery and superficial charm...The word 'captivates' is the perfect description of what he does when other women are around. He cultivates and keeps these gal 'friends' as 'supply' and 'back-up' and is always on the lookout to add any attractive femaile as some extra NEW supply...just in case he is angry at me for the moment. This behavior does not lessen or stop...in fact he just gets more blatant about it, used to be at first he appeared to focus only on me and our relationship...but of course this proved otherwise during the day at his work or times we weren't together. In fact I KNOW for certain these 'friends' are much more valuable to him than just 'friendly coworkers, etc.'...I know he has and would have sex with these OW at the drop of a hat (or panties) if they wanted to. He is a real 'somatic' and validates himself via sex. He would never pass up an opportunity to 'prove' how amazing he is...in or out of bed! ughhhh!.....Counting the days (only 40 more) when my wonderful son arrives from the USA and we head back home...leaving behind (safely...got it all planned out) this abusive violent...utterly CHARMING...pathological man and this life changing relationship...Gotta put 3,000 miles between us to get away from him... ...and then it is NC forever!!! Yeay!!...and freedom and healing and peace and happiness in my future without him.
May 4 - 9AM (Reply to #17)
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

Girlfriend (and others) - do you think their charm cultivated N?

Glad to hear you have a plan to leave and start fresh! These men sounds so much alike. Your story sounds IDENTICAL to my N above. I could have written that. "captivating", "cultivates", with flattery and superficial charm (but it seems so genuine) It makes me wonder.... maybe these innate skills reenforced and cultivated the N vs. the other way around? At times when I thought he wasn't so bad, i'd think.... maybe he is the way he is because he is so gorgeous, kind, conversational, interesting, charming, captivating, etc, etc.... maybe any guy that is so amazing would eventually develop into an N because they would find themselves in a position where they had so many women after them and would have to figure out a way to manage it all.... They just couldn't so "no" (in part because they were polite) to all of these women and so had to find a way to keep them all around that was palatable (supply). And then everything starting growing from there - the lies to cover it up, the emotional/verbal abuse to keep them all in their defined place, etc, etc. Tools that were necessary for women/supply management. Because I'm sure they have always been gorgeous, kind, conversational, interesting, charming, captivating - so they would have had to develop these skills early on. This is usually what I think happened to me....another attractive female to add to his stack of cards, his collection of women.....but then when I wanted more...had to be put in my place - in balance with all of the others in the collection. But I do get pulled out from time to time and used and put back. Thoughts? Has anyone ever had these thoughts??????
May 4 - 2PM (Reply to #21)
better off
better off's picture

Seriously girl?! You could

Seriously girl?! You could write a book on wishful thinking!! They're so charming and attractive that they had to turn into liars? Poor guys. Some people are congenitally retarded. And it's permanent. N's are congenitally assholes. And it's permanent.
May 4 - 12PM (Reply to #18)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

loveofmylife

maybe these innate skills reenforced and cultivated the N vs. the other way around? At times when I thought he wasn't so bad, i'd think.... maybe he is the way he is because he is so gorgeous, kind, conversational, interesting, charming, captivating, etc, etc.... maybe any guy that is so amazing would eventually develop into an N because they would find themselves in a position where they had so many women after them and would have to figure out a way to manage it all... they are born this way their brains look different their brain CHEMISTRY is different put down the magical thinking and STEP AWAY... found a new therapist yet? ~~~~~~~~~ Moving Forward: Coaching for Victims Pathologicals Feelings buried alive never die. - Alice Miller
May 4 - 11PM (Reply to #20)
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

update

taking off work tomorrow to call around...been working about 60 hours lately....so it has been crazy.
May 4 - 2PM (Reply to #19)
quietude (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

loveof...

Hey, all of us ladies are lovely, captivating, intelligent, charming, etc...that doesn't lead us down the path to Narcville. :) It's just an excuse for them to behave a certain way, and maybe even get away with more?? IE, Tiger Woods...Mr. Successful bazillionaire got special treatment. I guess his way of 'managing' in all was to poke every and anything from here to Timbucktoo. You're assuming they're really special folks, which totally buys into the whole NPD persona...that they are such GREATNESS, and above everyone else. I like to think of my two grown sons as all these things...ha, but I'd knock them into next Tuesday if they ever displayed unhealthy signs of narcissism or mistreated anyone.
May 4 - 8AM (Reply to #16)
better off
better off's picture

They also do it just to piss

They also do it just to piss you off. And them, and everyone.
May 3 - 11PM
loveofmylife
loveofmylife's picture

Here too

Yep...I had heard for years about all of these "close friends" that were girls and all of the ex-girlfriends that he still has relationships with. All of his friends that he spends time with are girls. 1 - 2 times a year he will do things with guys. In any given day, he probably got emails/texts from 4 - 5 different girl "friends". After my email incident, I learned that when he told me someone was a "close friend" and she happened to be a girl, they were actually much, much more than that. One was a full blown emotional lover, one he talked about sex to and she sent pictures of herself......the list goes on. They were not just "friend" relationships. And they were all wanting a relationship with him too that went way beyond being friends. He is so charming, gorgeous, polite, charismatic....and he has all of these plates spinning, all of these adoring women who think he is soooooo wonderful all lathered up and ready to go at the drop of a pin. It is not the innocense of friendship and just being a friend....it is for borderline relationship and to be ready to go when you are gone! (because no one is permanent)
May 3 - 6PM
broken23
broken23's picture

yes i relate

the excuse - heard it. its rude for him to answer the phone when he is with his friends. however when i was with him he would always answer his friends (male) call. he wouldnt stay on the phone forever. but thats normal. you answer you say youre out and then you go on your way. but when he went out, he never wanted to account for it. i was always waiting by the phone till odd hours of night. a*hole. the girls - he had sooooo many gf's dont get me started. friends that were female. he loved getting the attention that he is such a nice guy. at his bday party they would all give him cards that said i love you. in front of me...his gf. it was so disrespectful. on top of that he was friends with his ex-girlfriends. and i could see them texting and calling at odd hours for attention. i told him how it made me feel and said i understand if you need them to be a part of your life, invite them over when im around or lets go out together. nope...never happened. and he never gave them up. after the fact its so obvious. some of them were probably there for cheating, some of them were probably there to feed his ego, some of them were there so he could use them to buy him drinks or cook him food...who knows. they were all supply. i always felt i was runner up or not good enough...but the more i compared him to my other guy friends i realized his behavior was the abnormal one. i didnt sit there and constantly praise him...so he got it from elsewhere.
May 3 - 7PM (Reply to #11)
littlestbird
littlestbird's picture

oh my goodness! yes...i

oh my goodness! yes...i even remember at his birthday party, he didn't speak to me once. instead, he entertained 3 girls that were invited to his party. he didn't even know who two of them were. he just really knows how to turn the charm on and he loves the attention. i sat there, not speaking, sipping my margarita. he was elated. the girls didn't pay attention to me. they were too busy giggling and feeling special, the way he makes you feel when he captivates you. he is just so captivating when he wants to be. of course, once we got home, he never showed me that charming side. back to being a demanding, whiny grouch. saved the charm for everyone except me. i left his party feeling miserable. he acted like the only reason i was there was for him to point out "his pretty girlfriend."
May 3 - 10PM (Reply to #12)
broken23
broken23's picture

ditto

i was like the trophy girl. but he gave everyone else the attention. i can hold my own conversation so i basically conversated with others when his "friends" were around or made my own new friends at bar. for that i got called a slut because someone else besides him gave me attention.
Dec 22 - 7PM (Reply to #13)
StrongasDandelion
StrongasDandelion's picture

Ditto broken23

May 3 - 6PM
neveragain5
neveragain5's picture

Littlestbird, Glad the meds

Littlestbird, Glad the meds are working! Your sounds like a jackass with lots of supply. I think some are better at getting supply than others.
May 3 - 7PM (Reply to #6)
littlestbird
littlestbird's picture

He's very good at getting

He's very good at getting supply... lots of girls get crushes on him because he is so charming. He can make you feel like you are the only person in the universe. When I used to watch him do it to other women, in the beginning, I felt special because - lucky me! - I was with him! When he got bored or whatever with whatever I could supply him, he sought it elsewhere, and I became a mere accessory by his side. It became painful to stand there with a timid fake smile molded on my face as he captivated other women, making me feel embarassingly jealous as I watched the other women display positive flirtatious behavior in response to his obvious attempts at charm.
May 3 - 10PM (Reply to #8)
broken23
broken23's picture

humiliating

honestly this is so humiliating and disrespectful. and for some reason you felt like you had to put a fake smile on not to piss him off further right. that if you stood up for yourself, you might lose the little piece of him you had left. the jerk would also make comments all the time about actresses and models saying shes so hot. it was so demeaning. yeah i also find tv stars hot, i dont say it to my boyfriend in bed. they are such scum. you arent alone.
May 3 - 10PM (Reply to #9)
happydaysahead
happydaysahead's picture

OMG

I lost friends because of mine. He would make comments to me like wow she's got big boobs or I would do her. WHAT ?? These are MY friends he was talking about, so I stayed away because I did not want my "boyfriend" oogling them. Just sucks !!
May 3 - 8PM (Reply to #7)
neveragain5
neveragain5's picture

I'm sorry you went through

I'm sorry you went through that. Nobody should have to put up with that behavior and I'm glad that you chose not to.....It's humiliating and awful that they do this and the somatic ones ALL do it. Nobody is exempt. My sister and I laugh about it now because it truly is pathetic, (he did it with her), but it wasn't funny at the time, just disrespectful.
May 3 - 5PM
enoughalready
enoughalready's picture

littlestbird

Wow. That sounds like my XN too but only they were male friends...so I thought. Now that I know he's a pathological liar, he probably had female friends or sex objects too that I was unaware of. Same hypocrisy. Told me it was rude to answer any txts or calls when he was around his friends yet when he spent alone time, he'd answer his phone while his male friends called. Pretty damn rude! Oh-so much crap I put up with and ignored. I was a fool to have trusted him. I even ignored one big red flag he had said to me during out numerous arguments. He said " I'm a rule breaker". I was brainwashed, had fantasy thinking I would be the first to change his bad behavior. What a big waste of years w/ this bastard. So glad-i've seen the light!
May 3 - 6PM (Reply to #4)
neveragain5
neveragain5's picture

Too weird! Mine used to say

Too weird! Mine used to say that he felt it was rude to talk to people on the phone too! Said that his ex used to do it and it pissed him off. Who knows? He didn't talk on the phone in front of me either, but it seemed like noone really called him anyway! :)
May 3 - 5PM (Reply to #2)
seeingthelight
seeingthelight's picture

Littlest Bird

I had the same issue, he couldn't understand why I seemed to have a problem with the fact he was still "friends" with girls he'd dated when they were constantly texting etc. I strongly suspect now they were all more than friends even during our relationship. He made it all my problem, like it was my hang up. In arguments he would always refer to a time when an ex got back in touch with me wanting to speak to me. I showed him the text and even had the phone conversation with the ex in front of N where I told him I was happy and had moved on and he should do the same.....somehow he found a way to throw that in my face as if it was wrong, as opposed to him hiding all his communication from me with other mobile phones. One girl seemed to find it very difficult that he was in a relationship (she worked with us) and she did some rather strange things while we were together, he would say I would need to get over it whilst still talking to her and embarrassing me at work functions, apparently he thought he could help her get over it........ keep her as a supply more like! I see that now. He would have nights out where he would refuse to text me, respond to my messages and one night didn't even come home and didn't even apologise for it. Grrrrrrr, it makes me feel so angry when I think about it now. I totally understand how you feel.
May 3 - 6PM (Reply to #3)
Barbara (not verified)
Anonymous's picture

back up supply

that's all back up supply... just in case he needs it... gotta keep those plates all spinning whatever he SAID - was all a lie, an excuse to throw you off IF THEIR LIPS ARE MOVING, THEY'RE LYING ~~~~~~~~~ Moving Forward: Coaching for Victims Pathologicals Feelings buried alive never die. - Alice Miller